Mauro Tassotti Thread

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
Well yeah, but I was debating whether not to pick him for a game which is from 1990 onwards, and I know he's a legend and an integral part of the best defence of all times, but I didn't know if he was as good in the 90's as he was in the 80's...

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
He is probably more responsible for defensive duties/training. I'm only taking a guess here, but it seems logical.

He seemed to have helped Leonardo a lot, and thus had a bigger role since last season. Perhaps he's doing the same currently with Allegri.

I don't know why our management seem to lack confidence in him. I've always thought he was being groomed to be Ancelotti's replacement, one wonders whether the management feels he doesn't have what it takes or if they simply prefer to keep him as an assistant.

two heads are better than one probably.

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Yeah ,i was thinkin maybe he was instructing/advising Max. on who to start in certain matches ,because of his relative ''exp.'' in CL ,knows the players better than anyone. . .etc . . I mean he someone i'd trust and given our pos. in the league it (he) seemed to be ''working''. . its a long shot , but i refuse to believe that Max is such a tactical noob not to work out that dinho,dorf,pirlo cannot be on the field @ the same time. .must be external influences that players are certified starters. . .

Seratore

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
he knows this team inside and out and he is a vital part of the staff for any new coach ho comes here. his primary job is to coordinate and train our defense. but his experience is very important for he players and allegri. he is here for ages and he is a true milanista.

the problem is that he was carlo's invention for him to back him up and he likes very defensive football. that's why he didn't get a chance to be our coach this year. and he doesn't have the charisma nor the coaching experience to coach a great team like milan, in my opinion.

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Happy Birthday Mauro Tassotti!

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
absolutely love this man. been no.2 for so long yet sticks by his job, not wanting to leave. if allegri ever leaves, i want this man. bet he knows even more about milan than carlo and leonardo. seen some photos of him giving 1 to 1 training to pato. maybe teaching pato the tricks of beating his man?

NemcyTheKing

Mister 300
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Inzaghi, Serginho
Well when Capello took over he brought Panucci and benched him ... he also rotated a lot in the late 80's with Galli ... but we had great defense back then,so that was normal ...

Dutchie-Milan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I love Tassotti but he dissappointed me a bit last season.Leo had absolutely no clue of tactics and i expected Mauro to step in and tell Leo what to do,but it seems he didnt.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Very unappreciated IMO. Deserves more credit.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
19/01/2011 TASSOTTI AT MILAN For 30 YEARS

Mauro Tassotti is turning 51 and for the 30th time he’s celebrating his birthday at Milan.

MILAN - Mauro Tassotti joined Milan in the summer of 1980, meaning that the first time he celebrated his birthday at the club dates back to 19 January 1980. Thirty years later, he’s doing the same: blowing out the candles as a member of the Milan organisation.

Mauro Tassotti has gone through everything at Milan, including some difficult years, when the club risked bankruptcy, and the revival as the Silvio Berlusconi era got underway. He, Baresi, Costacurta, Filippo Galli and Paolo Maldini are legends by now. Nearly 600 apperances for Milan, 17 trophies won, the Champions Cup hoisted as captain in Athens in 1994 after beating Johan Cruyff’s Barcelona. His seriousness has always been appreciated by the coaches he’s worked with, from Arrigo Sacchi to Fabio Capello.

Since that birthday in 1981, Tasso has always been on the right track. Following his retirement from football in 1997, when he bowed out in a game against Cagliari playing in midfield because of the team’s needs, he joined the Rossoneri Youth Sector. Today he’s assistant coach of the first team and among others he’s coaching Luca Antonini, with whom he won his second Viareggio Cup in 2001 (Tasso won his first two years before, in 1999).

Mauro Tassotti has taken his share of all of Milan’s triumphs in Berlusconi era, either as a player or as assistant coach, except for the league title won in the 1998-1999 season with Alberto Zaccheroni on the Rossoneri bench. Happy birthday Milan Veteran!

Happy birthday Grande Tassotti :star:

RossoneroTifoso

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, R9, Rino, Nesta, Montolivo, Seedorf, Pippo, Balotelli, De Jong, El Shaarawy, De Sciglio
Happy B-Day Tassotti! :)

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
I hope he stays forever at Milan as assistant coach. I hate it when club greats become unsuccessful managers and then have to be sacked

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
Happy birthday Mauro Tassotti!!! :)

Has been a great player for Milan and now is also a great help for our club, I hope he stays here forever.

inter merda

Beginner
Reaction score
Mauro%20Tassotti%20a%20San%20Siro.jpg

Mauro Tassotti

The forgotten man of the Milan defense was in fact as superb as the rest of his defensive fraternity. We have talked about Franco, Billy, and Paolo, but how can we have forgotten Mauro. Well I haven’t.

The Rossoneri’s fifth most capped player (583 all around appearances) of all time was vice captain to Franco Baresi, and if not for the number six’s huge shadow and persona, Tassotti could have easily become one of the Milan’s greatest defenders of all time. But how does a player compete with the likes of Baresi and Maldini? It isn’t easy, but Tassotti certainly gave it his best effort.

A key piece of the invincible four defensive unit that led Milan to the longest shutout in Serie A history, Tassotti not only played excellent defense but was also a very capable wing back who could fly up and down the right flank when needed. Mauro won three Champions League crowns with Milan and was able to hoist one himself as Captain in one of Milan’s most memorable wins in a European Final.

The most shocking thing for me as I remember and researched Tassotti was that he was very much overlooked because of the stiff competition he faced as a defender not only at Milan, but across Italy with the likes of Benarrivo, Apollonni, and the players before them playing at an extremely high level at the same time as Tassotti. He was not capped as a member of the Azzurri until he turned 32 which is even more of feat because he was able to play at the highest level until he retired a member of AC Milan in 1997 at the not so tender age of 37 years old. The trend of high quality aging defenders has been around at Milan for a long time, and the legacy continues.

Tassotti retired with very little fanfare, possibly because he started his career at Lazio and unlike those honored before him was not a Rossoneri for life. However, my father said something funny the other day when I asked him about Tassotti, he said that, “He did things quietly as a player and there was no reason for him to retire any differently,” You do not have to look to far for Tassotti now a days, as he sits along side Carletto week in and week out as Milan’s assistant coach and it is widely thought that he would replace Carletto in a pinch should something happen to the Milan mister.

3 Champions League trophies as a player, 2 as a coach, member of the invincibles, and one of the most humble and modest Milan Legends to date, more trophies than most clubs makes him a special piece of Milan for years to come.

Trophy
- Serie A: 1988, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996
- Supercoppa Italiana: 1988, 1992, 1993,1994
- UEFA Champions League: 1989, 1990, 1994
- UEFA Super Cup: 1989, 1990, 1994
- Intercontinental Cup: 1989, 1990

Last edited:

masterofnaiads

Drummer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zidane, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Kaka, Forlan, Cocu, Riquelme, Cafu
I haven't ever seen Tassotti play.. So if anyone has a youtube clip of him in his hey days, I would really appreciate it..:thumbsup:

All I can find is the world cup elbow! :fp:

Marcus

Costacurta Groupie
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Pazzini, MENEZ
I do remember him playing, though very slightly, as I was pretty young at the time. I adored the quartet of Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta and Albertini, as they were club legends at the time. Truth be told, I mostly relied on my father for my football education, as it's because of him being a fan of Van Basten that I began to follow Milan, and I don't remember him ever talking about Mauro. It appears he was quite successful in remaining below the radar.

I do recall his time with Maldini (Cesare) as our manager.

masterofnaiads

Drummer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zidane, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Kaka, Forlan, Cocu, Riquelme, Cafu
He has always been overshadowed by others..

As a player by Baresi/Maldini/Billy..
And as a coach by Carletto/Allegri..

But he has the honour of being one of only 5 Rossoneros to lift the European Cup (Others being Cesare Maldini, Gianni Rivera, Franco Baresi x 2 and Paolo Maldini x 2)

If there are any older members who can atleast tell us about his style of defence or any interesting tales etc it will be nice to read! :)

Last edited:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
I think it is a bit odd we have overlooked him a few times when looking for a manager and that he hasnt gotten offers (that are reported) from other clubs

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago

BrasilianMilan

Eternal Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek
Tassotti with Ancelotti
0JQMSXEA--346x212.jpg

Tassotti with Leonardo

9734231e2bc8d36c0f61380e57a3bd14d1ddc77.jpg

Tassotti with Allegri

Allegri_Tassotti-300x200.jpg

Tassotti is such a great assistant coach for the club, I loved seeing him coach alongside Ancelotti and now Allegri. Keep up the good work Mauro! :thumbsup:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Fiero

Reaction score
Tassotti was just jealous of Luis Enrique's nose. Sad but true.

Schedule