Official Formula One thread

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
f**k! i'm totally dissapointed with the whole US grand prix thing... shame on Michelin! shame on those teams! and shame on the whole F1 boards!

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What a joke... I was hoping the crowd would invade the track + put an end to this travesty... :o

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Of course Michelin is to blame. They produced a shit product and then expected the rules to be changed because of that. Does that then mean that, for example, BAR or Jordan can ask FIA to make the race shorter because their engines can't survive the 70 odd laps? Sure... Sour grapes, that's what this is. Bridgestone produced perfectly suitable tyres and therefore their teams deserved the points perfectly well. Grow up Michelin!

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They had safety concerns + asked for a tiny change in the course. It would have saved the race, it would have saved the reputation of this circus (if there is one worth saving, that is), it would have kept spectators + sponsors content etc blabla. I hope this crap explodes or implodes one way or another + SOON. Never seen a bigger waste of ressources.

Pranjic

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio
Passion for *9* said:
They had safety concerns + asked for a tiny change in the course. It would have saved the race, it would have saved the reputation of this circus (if there is one worth saving, that is), it would have kept spectators + sponsors content etc blabla. I hope this crap explodes or implodes one way or another + SOON. Never seen a bigger waste of ressources.

The teams on Michelin got what they deserved,they were the ones pushing for these changes in the off season becuse they knew that with the advantage Michelin have over Bridgeston would be even greater if the tyers had to last longer,this whole change happened was because they wanted an advantage over Ferrari.They asked for the rules and now they would like break them when it suits them,as Niki Lauda said they could have gone out and simply driven slower but they decided to slap about a 100 000 fans in the face because of their own mistake.It was a simple matter of adjusting tyre pressure which would have made the tyers safe in the problem corner but it would have made them slower on the other parts of the track.Rules are rules.
Anyway there is more to this then just tyers,there's that whole dipute with Bernie over tv revenue and the threat of teams like McLaren,Williams,Renault(all on Michelins) to break away,so maybe this was another way for them to show that the FIA and Bernie don't hold all the power in F1.

Oma_B

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SHEVA,BLOKHIN,Rui, Maldini, Okocha, Ronny D, Hagi, Cryuff, MVB, Belanov n Yashin
All i know is Michelin now owe a lot of money lol. Add another company 2 the financially insecure list heheh

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
They had safety concerns + asked for a tiny change in the course. It would have saved the race, it would have saved the reputation of this circus (if there is one worth saving, that is), it would have kept spectators + sponsors content etc blabla.
It's not a "tiny change". Adding a chicane would effectively transform a 13 turn track into a 15 turn track. This would throw the fuel consumption calculations / race strategies out of the window. Also, it would slow down all cars, not just the Michelin ones. Why would Bridgestone cars agree to be slowed down due to a Michelin's cock-up?

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
scharatz said:
It's not a "tiny change". Adding a chicane would effectively transform a 13 turn track into a 15 turn track. This would throw the fuel consumption calculations / race strategies out of the window. Also, it would slow down all cars, not just the Michelin ones. Why would Bridgestone cars agree to be slowed down due to a Michelin's cock-up?
Nigel Mansell:

"You cannot blame Michelin. I thought it was very brave of them to declare their concern over the integrity of their product and advise the teams.

"You cannot really blame the teams, who had to react to the advice they were given and not risk the safety of their drivers.

"When the safety of drivers and, possibly, supporters comes into question, you don't mess about. You do whatever is necessary in order to race. A compromise had to be found. And that compromise was a chicane being installed at that final fast corner. Simple and effective. It has been done before. It could have been done again overnight on Saturday and the race could have gone ahead and the public been entertained."

"I don't want to get involved in the politics of F1, but it strikes me as an incredibly sad reflection on the state of the sport that, for whatever reason, a satisfactory deal could not be not achieved in a such a generous timescale," he continued.

"Instead, we have surely seen the end of F1 in the United States. This was a worldwide sporting spectacle at one of the foremost motor racing venues in the world. I drove in the States in 1993 and know their fans' attitude; they expect entertainment and value for money.

"My heart goes out to all those thousands of F1 fans who travelled from across America - not to mention those who came from overseas. They will not want anything more to do with F1."

----

It's all about power games + power trips in F1. Why not have a single tire supplier ? :o

milan*7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Nesta
Passion for *9* said:
..Why not have a single tire supplier ? :o
Same reason why you wouldn't have a command economy: monopolies are inefficient & don't guarantee much end-product quality.

Rex

Reaction score
Mansell could say we shouldn't have blamed Michelin for this. But what I couldn't completely understand was the boycott makes team order parked their cars at the garage en masse which the idea came up from the tyres supplier! With the boycott action, everything occured on the track much more embarrassing + more pathetic compared to team order's case of what Scuderia did in 2002 of Austrian GP. Simply 7 teams were following that moron idea and they were grossly infringing the rights of spectators to watch the action!

Michelin's pace were 'cryingbaby' in category. F1 nowadays have formalized the gap between Bridgestone vs Michelin into tyres supplier. We have already seen from the beginning how crappy Bridgestone have been thus far and struggling along to balance Michelin's pace this season. But what could we learn from all of this ? Aside from Michelin boycotted the race, Bridgestone are still comporting wiser, in manly attitude when seeing their condition have gone a little bit downhill/unprofitable for their own resources. Neither way of Bridgestone did such as Michelin looks to be whining about their *down* resources.

It showed Michelin were not ready to face the race due to its pampered wishes. An 'afraid to lose' comes into Michelin terminology before the race starts. And this is competition, and Ferrari couldn't be blamed objectively for rejecting Michelin's option.

I understood how spectators really disappointed on it. And Michelin blew it away.

Passion for *9* said:
It's all about power games + power trips in F1. Why not have a single tire supplier ? :o

It's all about money, profitable and so on. Too much to say the inner circle of FIA board to make decision about everything. Supplier wants to be known as marketing product on the track.

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Passion for *9* said:
Because of Michelin. They would be the one to lose out which is why they've been blocking the move. Thinking of the last race, maybe FIA should get rid of them :rolleyes:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
scharatz said:
Because of Michelin. They would be the one to lose out which is why they've been blocking the move. Thinking of the last race, maybe FIA should get rid of them :rolleyes:
Because of Michelin ? Or because of FIA ? I'd say the latter :o Actually Michelin supported the single tire supplier initiative, as part of a cost reduction program or sth.. I don't keep up with F1 day-to-day biz, I might be way off.. but I think that stuff was being discussed last year....

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
scharatz said:
Yes, until they found out it wouldn't be them ;)
It's not like they've been in it forever. Whatever decision would be made ... they'd have to accept it. I really don't give a fuck, nor do I claim to be knowledgeable on this... it was just some common-sense based comment.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
milan*7 said:
Same reason why you wouldn't have a command economy: monopolies are inefficient & don't guarantee much end-product quality.
Then why not invite in more manufacturers ? 2 seem still very monopolistic to me....

What you say is bull btw... ;)

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
milan*7 said:
Yeah, that's why the USSR was an economic powerhouse (& still is)
Are you saying monopolies are an invention (+ ultimately the downfall) of Soviet-style command economies ?

Bill Gates must be laughing all the way to the bank....

milan*7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Passion for *9* said:
Are you saying monopolies are an invention (+ ultimately the downfall) of Soviet-style command economies ?
Govt-owned monopolies, yeah. Waiting 3+ hrs in line to get a loaf of bread is not the sign of a healthy economy. :head:

Passion for *9* said:
Bill Gates must be laughing all the way to the bank....

Actually Microsoft was fined over $600 mil. for breaching EU competition laws, on top of just making the largest dividend payout in history --$32 bil. Their revenue for 2004 was only $36.8 billion.

Btw Microsoft is not a monopoly, only the dominant firm in its industry (known in economics as monopolistic competition). The difference is that competitors can sue. ;)

Oma_B

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SHEVA,BLOKHIN,Rui, Maldini, Okocha, Ronny D, Hagi, Cryuff, MVB, Belanov n Yashin
milan*7 said:
Yeah, that's why the USSR was an economic powerhouse (& still is) ;)
And is that bad? I grew up in the system n i turned out just fine

Oma_B

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
milan*7 said:
Govt-owned monopolies, yeah. Waiting 3+ hrs in line to get a loaf of bread is not the sign of a healthy economy. :head:

Actually Microsoft was fined over $600 mil. for breaching EU competition laws, on top of just making the largest dividend payout in history --$32 bil. Their revenue for 2004 was only $36.8 billion.

Btw Microsoft is not a monopoly, only the dominant firm in its industry (known in economics as monopolistic competition). The difference is that competitors can sue. ;)
Wasn't Microsoft split up because the courts found they did have a monopoly?

milan*7

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Oma_B said:
Wasn't Microsoft split up because the courts found they did have a monopoly?
The judge ruled that MS's dominance constituted a monopoly & the split was overturned on appeal.

Rex

Reaction score
Schumi was outstanding in qualifying session at Hungaroring. I would have thought that he couldn't do much anything by taking out of three place on the grid to say at least. But his 'power' in managing the car was incredibly flawless, smooth-running in breaking the kerbs, and that earned him the team's first 2005 pole. Again Ferrari's Bridgestone were struggling for grip in the closing stages. Should've done better at beginning of season.

Alonso lost by his unbeatable emotion. His qualifying display reaffirmed he couldn't 'control' himself to hurry beaten Schumi's lap time.

Raikkonen takes the podium, both Schumacher brothers, Michael and Ralf take second and third.

First podium this season for Ralf.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Messi, Zambrotta, Mutu, Mexes
Rex said:
Schumi was outstanding in qualifying session at Hungaroring. I would have thought that he couldn't do much anything by taking out of three place on the grid to say at least. But his 'power' in managing the car was incredibly flawless, smooth-running in breaking the kerbs, and that earned him the team's first 2005 pole. Again Ferrari's Bridgestone were struggling for grip in the closing stages. Should've done better at beginning of season.

Alonso lost by his unbeatable emotion. His qualifying display reaffirmed he couldn't 'control' himself to hurry beaten Schumi's lap time.

Raikkonen takes the podium, both Schumacher brothers, Michael and Ralf take second and third.

First podium this season for Ralf.
Who do you want to win the championship? I am a Ferrari fan but I think it is to late for Ferrari to win now. Because of this I want Fernando Alonso to win because I hate McLaren and Kimi.

Rex

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm Ferrari fan as well, but seeing this unability Bridgestone to be geared up to the best performance, I'm well worth to say let the both Alonso and Raikkonen compete each other into the end of champhionship. It's way off the hope that Schumi will be able to grab points heavily in the six remaining races while the chance to keep titles alive is now on McLaren's hand.

The pressure is now on Alonso's. Make mistakes at following races will blow their chance away.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rex said:
To be honest, I'm Ferrari fan as well, but seeing this unability Bridgestone to be geared up to the best performance, I'm well worth to say let the both Alonso and Raikkonen compete each other into the end of champhionship. It's way off the hope that Schumi will be able to grab points heavily in the six remaining races while the chance to keep titles alive is now on McLaren's hand.

The pressure is now on Alonso's. Make mistakes at following races will blow their chance away.
Ulthuogh I now want Alonso to win, I agree with you that it would be good to see the championship go right down to the wire and for Kimi to put presure on Alonso. The other reason I like Renault is because I hope Flavio Briatori replaces Jean Todd as technical director at Ferrari.

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
F1 would be dead if ferrari wins another one this year, thanks God it won't happen... a little competition is a good thing, don't y'all think?

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
mtfco said:
F1 would be dead if ferrari wins another one this year, thanks God it won't happen... a little competition is a good thing, don't y'all think?
I think competition is vital for any sport, unfortunately Ferrari haven't been that competitive this season.

Andressa M (Bra)

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Ronaldo, R. Carlos, J. César, Maldini
Since Ayrton Senna died I don't have "that loving feelling" for F1.
I used to be a great fan of F1, I did love Senna. It's sad that he died. He was the best... Imagine the F1 with Senna, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansel....it would be wonderful... Well, Senna definitely would be the greatest.
I like Alonso's style. And I like too Kimi and Jenson Button.
But I think my favorite is Alonso.
And, I guess, M. Schumacher is not thaat thing.

Oj...let's see what days are gonna give us.