CONCACAF Football Discussion

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
yeah stupid commebol didn't invite us this time because we sent a b squad.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would not be funny if Japan become Asian Cup Champion and Copa America Champion?

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
The USA should take certain competitions more seriously, they had a good Confed cup. Though they started poorly, they picked up their game and had a great semi and final. After this they had a decent WC, again they didnt start off properly but ended okay.

They have a good squad and are very capable of an upset or two, just need to take things more seriously as SM84 mentioned. As for the Copa Libertadores, it would be nice to see all teams allowed to participate and the tournament would be diverse and highly competitive.

I wanted to make a point with regard to the UCL, they have started a scheme which allows more minnows like MSK Zilina and few years ago Rubin Kazan/Debrecen to come in and cause an upset as well as get a chance to participate. This is the only way that the smaller leagues in this region will grow and would be willing to invest more in their teams to try and reach the biggest continental tournament of that region.

Of course the Brazilians and Argies are the usual favorites but at least somewhere along the way i'd like to see a team from Mexico, USA or Honduras even cause a big upset like we have seem some of the minnows do it in the UCL. Like this season, Tolima beat Corinthians, that was somewhat a performance of the Giant killing team. I'd like to hear/see that more in the future, maybe implement a qualifying round? Invite more teams than just 3 from Mexico, are the other leagues in the Americas that bad? or like not that good as the level of the Copa Libertadores?

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a point with regard to the UCL, they have started a scheme which allows more minnows like MSK Zilina and few years ago Rubin Kazan/Debrecen to come in and cause an upset as well as get a chance to participate. This is the only way that the smaller leagues in this region will grow and would be willing to invest more in their teams to try and reach the biggest continental tournament of that region.

Well, Libertadores is limited to South America + Mexico. But in between those who participate, every coutry has at least 2 teams on the group stages and a very good chance to make a third. Brazil and Argentina have 5 spots, the others have 3. A country as weak as Venezuela can put 3 teams in the group stage.

As for the unknow teams, Libertadores has usually way more surprises and shockings than UCL. It's everything but predictable. This decade alone São Caetano and Atlético Paranaense made to the final, the unknow Once Caldas won in 2004 (beating on the way a mighty São Paulo, Santos with Diego/Robinho/Elano and the superchampion Boca Juniors) - that's an achievement one will hardly see in UCL. LDU become the first champion from Ecuador in 2008 - an emerging new power, atough not really a surprise. I think only Bolívia and Venezuela never reached semifinals in Libertadores.

Of course the Brazilians and Argies are the usual favorites but at least somewhere along the way i'd like to see a team from Mexico, USA or Honduras even cause a big upset like we have seem some of the minnows do it in the UCL. Like this season, Tolima beat Corinthians, that was somewhat a performance of the Giant killing team. I'd like to hear/see that more in the future, maybe implement a qualifying round? Invite more teams than just 3 from Mexico, are the other leagues in the Americas that bad? or like not that good as the level of the Copa Libertadores?

C4M must know better than me, but I think teams on Central America are no better than on Peru or Bolivia. But even teams from those countries eventually achieve qualification on group stages. MLS is somehow better I think.

Mexican clubs already made way to the final two times. Cruz Azul in 2001 and Chivas last year. And 3 Mexicans teams is fair I think, they are on par with everyone minus Brazil and Argentina.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
My God, the championship in my country is the most corrupted and disgusting thing ever. We play 2 tournaments, winter and summer, there's one winner in each...and only 1 team goes down (who made less pts in both tournaments), which already is stupid. There's 2 groups A and B, each with 6 teams, first 3 teams in each qualify. There's a first round of everyone vs everyone and then teams of group A face just teams from group A and likewise with group B.

2nd plays 3rd of each group and the winner faces the first teams of each group in the semifinals and then a final. Super stupid. The team that finishes with more points gets to close every game at their home.

-So in July 2010 a week before the season started, a team sold it's frenchise to another one (both owners are the ones that destroyed our national football, one of them is in a huge scandal of corruption and was arrested in US 2 months ago). The original one left several debts with players. The move "looked" legal, but had several interests behind (the new owner, which is the one that is in jail, was already president of another club and he wanted to have as many teams as possible under his belt in order to become the president of the Federation, some players of the original team were transfered to another team...of which that owner took charge off since his mom was the owner).

-Due to the debt with those players, the new frenchise (who was the second best team in the league) were froze out from playing several games. A team that didn't face them and won 3-0 was able to qualify thanks to that without playing. At that point the championship should've been froze and that team should've gone down.

-On the other hand the old owner of that frenchise had his new team (Heredia) with a HUGE debt and didn't pay the salaries of his players for 2 months or so, which should've been illegal too.

-Anyway the quarters/semifinals and finals were played, my team (who never got any sort of benefit from this, simply we were best team with most goals in favour and least against, just 1 loss), but that season shouldn't have counted it should've been shut down from start or at least half way through (now that there's a champion and a top goalscorer that's a no-no).

-New season: summer 2011. Saprissa (aka rivals, who finished second to last in the last championshi) poached the best players of that new frenchise, fair enough so far.

-That team was let to play again (inspite of that debt they had to pay), under the condition that they had to pay that debt in 15 days...and then in a month...and then...

-Somehow for an unknown reason, week 10 was played before week 9. In week 9 which was played during the weekend, Saprissa should've faced that team.

-Tuesday: there was a vote made to throw out that team from the league and take 10 pts away from Heredia because of a huge debt they had. Apart from taking those 10 pts away from Heredia, they gave it to the teams they beat, and on top of that they made them won 3-0. Everyone tthat had to play the other team were given 3-0 wins (basically they were missing all games against the teams in their group).

-Saprissa lost 2-0 to Heredia, they were given 3 pts and 3 goals in favour (and 2 less goals against). On top of that they got other 2 3-0 wins because they had to face that other team twice. :rolleyes: (specially remembering that for "unknown reasons" week 10 was played before week 9, when Saprissa should've faced them).

-Saprissa was 3rd place in the overall league (at least of summer 2011)...got 3 3-0 wins out of nowhere now their top of the league (on top of that last game they played they got a disgusting favour right at the 90th) and will more than likely get the advantage of closing games at their place and with the advantage of 2 games less played.

-My team was the only one that beat the team that got -10, of course we got no benefit (and look at the vid I posted in this thread btw, that's fucked up, but anyway, I'm ok with us not getting any benefit, and no one else should tbh). We got 0 from all this. And no team in the group my team is at will get the benefit of a 3-0 win, in fact a team that is fighting for relegation (was second to last), got 3 pts and 3-0, totally fucking up the last placed team (specially because of goal difference).

-Oh yeah just to remind how mind fucking stupid my league is played: my team just had 2 weeks of rest between each championship, clearly we're paying for it atm (which is normal, in a normal played championship all teams should suffer it this way). Saprissa was eliminated in the first one since mid ovember, they had 1 month of rest (which affected them in first few weeks but now its totally giving them an advantage), they even made a preseason, in fact every team that didn't qualify last year is actually doing pretty well right now, meanwhile you can see the other ones being normally exhausted at this stage of the season.

-Oh and well now it's 1 but for 2 months we had 2 teams with no owner, or with their owner at jail unable to pay their salaries. Cmon this isn't professional football.

-Call it off now DAMN IT.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Charlie davies scored 2 goals in his first match in 18 months since his car crash pre usa-cr in 2009

Great to see you back charlie!

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Charlie davies scored 2 goals in his first match in 18 months since his car crash pre usa-cr in 2009

You know I've always wondered, you might know better than me, what the hell was Charlie Davies doing past midnight driving? They were concentrated...

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
The whole inaguration of our new national stadium and all the craze that's been going on is exactly the reason why I love this country. We're just so tiny, one doesn't really think about it, but we're too TINY, the whole country was paralyzed and the only thing we're discussing is the stadium.

Truthfully the only big stadium I've ever been near is the Azteca, I just remember it looked impossing, but that's about it. But today, dear God, at first I felt on international ground it just...it was so pro, so first world. No lines, the stadium was gorgeous, the enviroment felt different (which on a way I like, and on another I don't). But after the initial impression...it was all Costa Rica, in sense that I could smell the gallo pinto and tamal asado and pura vida-ness comming out of it :D, no but really u get me, like the identity, you realize "wow this is really my country's"

Its the first real building, the first aesthetically pretty edification ever made in my country.The seats I got were in any other conditions horrible, but the stadium is so well made that no matter how far back and up I was, it was still AMAZING, I know, I'm letting my 3rd worldness be seen in that sentence, cause any well made stadium should look amazing at any seat, but I don't care.

Most of you that are probably from better footballing nations (or better sports nations) or more developed countries probably won't get how extremely emotional it is for us to have a stadium like that. It's perhaps a very simple stadium, but for me, for what I'm used to, that's a whole different level of quality.

The act dedicated to best atheletes in our country + the last one prior to the game gave me chills. God, how can't I have chills when I see the video of our one and only gold medal in the Olympics? I even remember I was in tears when it happened back in 96' and still today watching our flag on top of the two Germany flags while our anthem is sounding can make me shed a tear or two. Or screaming Medford's goal vs Sweden (I was a baby, I know, but any costarican knows how amazing that is). Or our U-20 2 years ago. Or Nery Brenes pwning people at 400 mts, or Jose Luis Molina winning the LA marathon.

The last act, is stuff I only see on TV, I never ever would've expect to see that beautiful event live. It was an amazing combination of music, lights and fireworks...I love you Costa Rica :proud:.

As for our friendly...awful display, though at least we got to score first 2 goals :D. Anyway, I do hope we play vs USA at Saprissa, cause this stadium will make them feel at home instead of making them fear it like Saprissa's.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
mls has restarted....

Watched some yesterday. Quality is improving. Most of goals from last week were quality finishes.

Gret goal yesterday:

marco pappa, guatemalan. 23

You know I've always wondered, you might know better than me, what the hell was Charlie Davies doing past midnight driving? They were concentrated...

umm he was a passanger.....He was out at a club. As I recall he hadn't had a drink, but it didn't matter anyway since usa had clinched and he wasn't going to start.

He's lucky to be alive. They basically cut his face off to stop internal bleeding in his brain. The scar is nasty.

BTW the drunk woman.... got 2 years in prison

Last edited:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo

very happy for him, he is a pretty solid player, and its a miracle he can still play

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
very happy for him, he is a pretty solid player, and its a miracle he can still play

yes it really is. Hope he continues to find form. I am really frustrated with Jozy. He just hasn't improved....

I'd like to see Davies used at CF.

4-5-1 is usa's best formation, not the 4-4-2. Ideally I want Feilhaber used more in CM with Edu and Bradley. He's only quality creative passer us has.

Eventually Agudelo is going to displace Jozy anyway. Kid's got a lot of talent. Saw him a few times for NY Red bulls... He's only 18, and pretty big with good technique. New York actually use him a bit on wing, but clearly CF is his future (he's 185cm, and a natural goal scorer). He's got potential to play at a big club in europe in the future.

Last edited:

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
umm he was a passanger.....He was out at a club. As I recall he hadn't had a drink, but it didn't matter anyway since usa had clinched and he wasn't going to start.

He's lucky to be alive. They basically cut his face off to stop internal bleeding in his brain. The scar is nasty.

BTW the drunk woman.... got 2 years in prison

Just read the question I made, yeah shouldn't have asked "what the hell", but I was curious cause he was on NT duty, regardless of anything, even with the qualification reached and even if he wasn't set to start. I knew it wasn't his fault and that he wasn't drinking. Anyway, I'm actually glad that not only he survived but he's back playing.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
get off my nuts neymar. Bigger talent :o

jk, but he is pretty damn big talent. Should be best american player. You don't see american forward w/ that combo of size/strength AND skill.....

of course he's colombian :)

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
get off my nuts neymar. Bigger talent :o

jk, but he is pretty damn big talent. Should be best american player. You don't see american forward w/ that combo of size/strength AND skill.....

of course he's colombian :)

Next Asprilla...taller.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
yes it really is. Hope he continues to find form. I am really frustrated with Jozy. He just hasn't improved....

I'd like to see Davies used at CF.

4-5-1 is usa's best formation, not the 4-4-2. Ideally I want Feilhaber used more in CM with Edu and Bradley. He's only quality creative passer us has.

Eventually Agudelo is going to displace Jozy anyway. Kid's got a lot of talent. Saw him a few times for NY Red bulls... He's only 18, and pretty big with good technique. New York actually use him a bit on wing, but clearly CF is his future (he's 185cm, and a natural goal scorer). He's got potential to play at a big club in europe in the future.

I just dont like the way the US team is run. I dont like the way they develop players through their system and I dont much care for how they play. They have poorly managed players, I think Neven Subotić is the biggest example, the politics of the USA junior teams resulted in him deciding to play for Serbia when he really wanted to play for the US. The US cant afford to mess with talent.

I do like Agudelo though, and hopefully he will continue to develop and I hope that it will help to spark Jozy to play better because he wants to keep his spot.

I've been disappointed by how Jozy and Adu have turned out, they both got a ton of hype early on (especially Adu) and that seems to have hurt them, but both are still only 21 and I really hope that they can grow as players and learn how to deal with the pressure and become contributors.

I dont much care for how Bradley coaches, there have been rumors floating around for awhile about Jürgen Klinsmann being interested in the job, and I think that getting a top European coach would help to move the US NT in the right direction

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I used to have a bigger issue with Bradley, but you can't argue with his results. USA is the best TEAM in concacaf, even though the talent level is far below mexico. The consistency of one coach, a system, slow integration of players and creating a team which is more like a club has given us the edge to fight out of there class.

Compare this to a lot of countries, who change coaches all the time...

Bradley should also get credit for finding best position for landon and getting most out of him, and having best defensive schemes despite the lack of talent (i love bocanegra and demerit as much as the next guy, but lets get real... the talent isn't high)

Agudelo is the future. Kid's REALLLLLLY talented. How many 18 year olds do you see with that combo of size, strength and technique + goal scoring ability. I mean NY Red Bulls used him mostly as winger last season, and he played well. He's very coordinated, unlike Jozy who honestly I feel has regressed. He is so much clumsier/less athletic than he was at 17/18. Maybe he's just growing into his body though... wont write him off, he's just frustrating me.

I don't really believe a european coach can help usa that much because mls is just so different....but then again, maybe..

The real question with USA come 2014, is the backline...bocanegra/demerit and co. will not be playing then, or if they are... at 35/36 usa has some major problems. However the continued growth of Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu and finally Jermaine Jones could help shield this problem a bit.

And I wouldn't blame subotic on Bradley. The politicking is a problem, but it's above his head for sure.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I dont hate Bradley or anything, I just cant see him taking the US team to the next level. He is also too like Bruce Arena, who I dont care for at all. I think he has contributed in a lot of ways for how political US Soccer has gotten, which prevents some of the talent to work its way through the system to the top.

I dont blame Bradley for the Subotic thing, but Bradley did coach the U-23s when Subotic was with the U-20s, and I would guess that he saw them play so he knew of him as a player, and could have made an attempt to call him up to the senior team before Subotic decided on Serbia.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Jesus fuck. What a game

Landon benched on at half. Freddy adu on in 60th?? First gamre for usa in over 2 years?

Freddy adu with a rui costa esque 30 yard defense cutting ball to landon to dempsey. 1-0. Hope it holds up. Usa v mexico are always great games

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Jesus fuck. What a game

Landon benched on at half. Freddy adu on in 60th?? First gamre for usa in over 2 years?

Freddy adu with a rui costa esque 30 yard defense cutting ball to landon to dempsey. 1-0. Hope it holds up. Usa v mexico are always great games

I was confused when he took of Agudelo since I thought he was playing fine, but I'm really happy for Freddy, that was a great pass to set up the goal, although he did get a little too confident about his dribbling abilities a couple of times.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I was confused when he took of Agudelo since I thought he was playing fine, but I'm really happy for Freddy, that was a great pass to set up the goal, although he did get a little too confident about his dribbling abilities a couple of times.

That's always been freddys problem. He may have pace of a gazelle but he has a brain of a mule

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
mexico-honduras 0-0 in stoppage time. What a miss by gio dos santos.

Man somewhere adrian is about to pee his pants. Mexico has been soo good all tournament till this too.

I'm torn. Dislike mexico, but i love USa-Mexico games. AND this one is going to extra time. turn it on if you get univision, americans..

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i just flipped it on and it looks like Mexico figured out what they had to do

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
i just flipped it on and it looks like Mexico figured out what they had to do

the second goal. LOL honduras. Let's just leave the best player in concacaf and leading goal scorer in tournament COMPLETELY UNMARKED on a corner

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
My dumb mexican friends are gonna be texting me all night. :max:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
PS- not saying mexicans are dumb. Just some of my mexican friends are dumb. :D

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
lol, sasha. But it's a good thing. I love USA-mexico games. Especially after mexico lose.

Is it just me, or are Mexicans the most aesthetically obsessed nation in world. Every player on their national team has an obsession to make every pass seem like an instruction tape. Overly drawing out their leg after they kick.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Yeah, but these guys I know honestly rate Mexico up there with Brazil/Germany/Italy...

After Italy lost in a pre WC friendly last year my FB was spammed with "Hey mang, Mexico beat Italy, they suckk."

About the "kick" thing you mentioned. IMO they sooo wanna be a part of CONMEBOL and want to be mentioned along Brazil and Argentina. Even my smart mexican friends say they don't care about Copa Oro and can't wait for Copa America (where they'll lose 4-0 to Argentina).

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Mexico, you ready for a round house kick to the face in these?!

attachment.php

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Mexico vs US will be a great game. I think Mexico will win this time though. I have not been at all impress with the US in this tournament. In saying that, the US are equip to beat mexico.