Official: Davide Calabria Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Problem is that most of his games are "ok" game..Just like RR on the left.
He is always "just ok" ... never does something more, something unexpected, always playing too simple.

Just look what difference Theo made when he replaced average RR.
We need to find someone similar on the right, Calabria is just too average

Calabria is and plays very differently from RR.
He takes far more risks and is far more energetic.

RR has the physique of a mediocre CB.

Calabria is smaller and often pushed around by bigger, stronger players.
That's his main weakness. His offensive game is pretty good.

Also, the jury is still out on Theo. It was refreshing to see an impressive athlete after 2 seasons of RR, but there were also a lot of silly errors. Hopefully it was just rust.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Calabria is and plays very differently from RR.
He takes far more risks and is far more energetic.

RR has the physique of a mediocre CB.

Calabria is smaller and often pushed around by bigger, stronger players.
That's his main weakness. His offensive game is pretty good.

Also, the jury is still out on Theo. It was refreshing to see an impressive athlete after 2 seasons of RR, but there were also a lot of silly errors. Hopefully it was just rust.

Calabria is and plays very similar to RR. If not for his playstyle then for their contribution/final outcome of the game.

Calabria and RR are nearly the same weight.. and RR being few cm's taller.. so i dont get where did you find that big of a physical difference. They both get overrun by stronger players in general.

Offensive game pretty good? That's overstating it by far.. He has like 1-2 overlaping runs per game and that many crosses. Both unable to beat their man on the flanks, neither by their dribbling or their speed. Both prefer early crosses if there is the situation for that.
Calabria is only slightly more active, offers himself a bit more and that's it. Their final contribution is very similar

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Calabria is and plays very similar to RR. If not for his playstyle then for their contribution/final outcome of the game.

Calabria and RR are nearly the same weight.. and RR being few cm's taller.. so i dont get where did you find that big of a physical difference. They both get overrun by stronger players in general.

Offensive game pretty good? That's overstating it by far.. He has like 1-2 overlaping runs per game and that many crosses. Both unable to beat their man on the flanks, neither by their dribbling or their speed. Both prefer early crosses if there is the situation for that.
Calabria is only slightly more active, offers himself a bit more and that's it. Their final contribution is very similar

Calabria is far more adventurous and agile.
He stays very close to Suso and it's not unusual to see him make runs into the box.

Every cm and kg matters. Calabria is smaller. He also has a more aggressive approach defensively, which is typical of smaller players.

So basically one is interpreting the fullback role like a mediocre CB, whereas the other one is a mediocre winger turned into decent fullback.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think you are overrating him, but i guess its agree to disagree case.

Wiki says they are both at 77kg, but doesn't matter, as i said they both get owned by a stronger (good dribbler/fast/physical) player on the wing.

For someone who is "far more adventurous" and "pretty good offensive" i expect him to be in far more situations where he can put an assist, good cross or even score a goal himself.
He does that very rarely... which is exactly the reason i wrote my first post, he is always average

I don't say he should continuously do that against Inter, but so far we played against some bad opponents and a better RB should be able to exploit that far more.

I agree Theo is yet to be evaluated but he already had at least 2 times more chances that Calabria, even in his limited play time

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We're comparing RR & Calabria, not Theo & Calabria.
Theo's offensive game is far more lethal than Calabria's of course.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We are, but i also pointed what Theo brings in instead of RR in previous posts.
The difference between Theo and RR is massive and he might not even be that great player (not yet proven).
That's why i think we should upgrade RB asap too, witch someone who has clear advantages in his game, be it dribbling, physics, speed... anything actually, just not average at everything

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My biggest issue with him is his mental fragility. A mental midget. And it was on full display tonight.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
This guy always seems to make the wrong decisions, he is always rushing his play, rarely focusing on the quality of execution. Not good enough

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
He is awful. At this point Borini might be our best RB, which is terrifying

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I think you are overrating him, but i guess its agree to disagree case.

Wiki says they are both at 77kg, but doesn't matter, as i said they both get owned by a stronger (good dribbler/fast/physical) player on the wing.

For someone who is "far more adventurous" and "pretty good offensive" i expect him to be in far more situations where he can put an assist, good cross or even score a goal himself.
He does that very rarely... which is exactly the reason i wrote my first post, he is always average

I don't say he should continuously do that against Inter, but so far we played against some bad opponents and a better RB should be able to exploit that far more.

I agree Theo is yet to be evaluated but he already had at least 2 times more chances that Calabria, even in his limited play time

i disagree. theo adds physicality and pace but he hasn't done anything that calabria hasn't this season.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
have feeling like every game he played this season he had problem with ball control next to the line...

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He is Genoa lvl player at max.. Do you think he would stand out there? Of course not... if he wasn't from Milan primavera, we would not hear for him

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Really disappointing season so far. He was good last year, not great, but good with room for growth. But he's just gone back to the Calabria of 3 years ago that just makes so many mistakes. Stupid sending off.

RB is going to be tough this season if he can't recover, because while Conti can run, so can a headless chicken. His defensive side has looked atrocious. I'd actually play Borini at RB over these two for now...

nanook

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
q5tQCSQ.gif

:fp::fp::fp:

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This card thing is really exaggerated, if one checks career stats he is significantly less likely to get cards than Conti or Theo. (RR is by far the least likely)

Sometimes you have a bad run, no need to panic.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I still believe he can grow into a decent player. Maybe not WC and definite starter, but good enough for rotation. He seems mentally stronger than Conti and considering that he's much younger and our product, I'd rather keep him out of these 2.

Super22

Wonderkid
Reaction score
should send him out on loan to Serie B. Apart from scoring and a few run he seems low on confidence and poor defensively vs Bologna.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
should send him out on loan to Serie B. Apart from scoring and a few run he seems low on confidence and poor defensively vs Bologna.

Or sell for plusvalenza since there were teams interested in him surely

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

He's on 2m net.
No Serie B team is going to pay even 1/4 of his salary.

Besides, why would you send him to Serie B?
He's 23 and has played 108 games for Milan, 87 of them in Serie A.
He's not some inexperienced Primavera kid that was just given his Milan debut.
A Serie B loan stint is not going to raise his market value even if he does well.

Sell, loan with option to buy to a club that pays his full salary, or keep him.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Serie B :lol: :lol: :lol: :fp: :fp: :fp:

I've never liked Calabria, but Serie B?

He is not bad for Bologna, Genoa or such clubs in A.

We don't need to loan him at 23, when we can sell him for some €8M.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
I'm a little more positive on Calabria than the rest of the ppl on the forum it seems. IMO he actually has potential unlike Conti and he should have been starting most of the season rather than Conti so we could see if he could improve to levels acceptable of our starting RB for the future. Calabria is not there at the moment but I believe he actually could do it, Conti on the other hand I do not believe could get there. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury and I don't think he ever will.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Conti on the other hand I do not believe could get there. He hasn't been the same since his knee injury and I don't think he ever will.

Conti was never the player RnB think he was.

This is the same Conti from the 17/18 Milan preseason / EL qualifiers before the injury.
This is the same Conti from the Azzurri games and the occasional Atalanta game I caught.

An averagely skilled wingback who was scoring a lot of goals due to Gasperini's ultra-attacking approach, Petagna and Spinazzolla's crosses from the left flank. Basically a Nocerino on the right flank. Easily replaced by Robin Gosens(on the left flank), who is nothing special either.

Calabria has better shooting technique and is a better dribbler. He's worse defensively though.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score

This is the same Conti from the 17/18 Milan preseason / EL qualifiers before the injury.
This is the same Conti from the Azzurri games and the occasional Atalanta game I caught.

An averagely skilled wingback who was scoring a lot of goals due to Gasperini's ultra-attacking approach, Petagna and Spinazzolla's crosses from the left flank. Basically a Nocerino on the right flank. Easily replaced by Robin Gosens(on the left flank), who is nothing special either.

Calabria has better shooting technique and is a better dribbler. He's worse defensively though.

I don?t agree with this. If you say Conti was over-performing in a high octane attacking system, I?d probably agree with that. His numbers were boosted for sure. And if you say he would have been a liability in a four man back line, I?d probably go for that too.

BUT. To make the claim that this is the ?same Conti? is an insult to serious injuries and what happens to athletes. He might not have been the great player some thought he would, but he was undoubtedly an explosive player coming in high on confidence. Two serious injuries can certainly take that away from a player. None of the other Atalanta wingers have since gotten close to his numbers if I remember right. The Atlanta machine rages on, but he deserves credit for getting most g+a of any defender in Europe.

He was wrong to come here, not a good fit and I agree overhyped. But he used to be more athletic, more explosive, better at attacking spaces and openings. A coach can at least work with that, even if he?s a poor defender who is average on the ball. Two serious knee injuries later he doesn?t even have that, point im trying to make. You can?t act like those don?t take somewhat of a toll on a body

ForzaACM

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka Zidane R9 Robben Nesta Henry Suarez Messi Maldini Rivaldo Iniesta Dinho Sheva Pippo
Calabria still has potential to be useful as backup but how many years have we been waiting for him to put it all together?

I think Calabria is better than Conti but not by much.

Ideally we have another RB signing alongside Kalulu and sell Davide for profit since he's a primavera product.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

this is not the same conti at all. he had abate-esque pace which sadly we won't be able to see anymore.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Calabria sucks, his defending on the goal was ridiculous, he slid and didn't reach the ball.. just a dumb player in my opinion. If reports are true that Sevilla want him for anything more than 10m then we shouldnt think twice