Week 3: Hellas Verona - Milan 15/09/19 20:45 CET

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
Would love to see:

--------------Piatek---------------
Leao/Reb---Paqueta---------Suso
---------Benna----Kess-----------
Theo----Roma----Mus/Dua---Cala
--------------Donna---------------

Though we will probably see the following GP Genius formation/squad:

---------Samu----Borini-----------
--------------Suso-----------------
-------Krunic------Kessie----------
-------------Hakan-----------------
RR------Roma----Musa------Calab
-------------Donna-----------------

After the game GP will call the attacking trio world class and name them: BOSS (BOrini, Samu, Suso)

Last edited:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Would love to see:

--------------Piatek---------------
Leao/Reb---Paqueta---------Suso
---------Benna----Kess-----------
Theo----Roma----Mus/Dua---Cala
--------------Donna---------------

Though we will probably see the following GP Genius formation/squad:

---------Samu----Borini-----------
--------------Suso-----------------
-------Krunic------Kessie----------
-------------Hakan-----------------
RR------Roma----Musa------Calab
-------------Donna-----------------

After the game GP will call the attacking trio world class and name them: BOSS (BOrini, Samu, Suso)

Don't think we'll be seeing 4231. More likely 4321 or even 433.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I never want to see Suso playing anywhere other than on that right flank. I also think Giampaolo feels the same way based on his words after Udinese and Suso's performance against Brescia.

i'm not suso's biggest fan, but in a speedy attack we need someone who can stop the play and distribute the ball, suso would be able to fill that role if GP asks for it

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i'm not suso's biggest fan, but in a speedy attack we need someone who can stop the play and distribute the ball, suso would be able to fill that role if GP asks for it

That should happen deeper, with Bennacer. If we have to play Suso he has to be on the right where he's deadly. Anywhere else doesn't work.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
We need to slowly move Kessie out of the first xi and onto the bench. Yes he has unlimited stamina and strength but this brainless un-tenchical fart makes everyone around him play worse with his horrible passing shooting and understanding of the game.

Imagine being in a good spot on the pitch and looking at this idiot running into space - you're gonna think twice before passing to him coz he'll likely fuck up the attack . Also other good situations he fucks up 4-5 times a game . It must be so frustrating and irritating for the other players to see this time and time again = makes everyone off their A-game.

He would be perfect to sub into games around 60-65' when we are winning and need to defend the lead and could use his brute force to win the ball back and power through the lines and set off on counters

Eventually I would like to see

-----Piatek------
--Rebic---Suso--
Paq------Bona--
----Bennacer---
Theo-Cap-Cal-Cal

Last edited:

Noyon9s

Super Pippo <3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Maldini, Pirlo, Super Pippo
Don't expect to see Rebic start, low odds on Leao starting.

Judging by the last game I wouldn't be surprised if we had a 4231 during the attacking phase, something along the lines of:

Piatek
Calha -- Samu -- Suso
Bennacer - Kessie
Theo - Romagnoli - Mussacio - Calabria
Donnarumma​

With Theo pushing up the left while Bennacer covers and Kessie as overlap on the right for Suso.

If Leao starts we could see him slot on Hakan's position on the left while he moves central.

I don't see Paqueta starting unfortunately.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We need to slowly move Kessie out of the first xi and onto the bench. Yes he has unlimited stamina and strength but this brainless un-tenchical fart makes everyone around him play worse with his horrible passing shooting and understanding of the game.

Imagine being in a good spot on the pitch and looking at this idiot running into space - you're gonna think twice before passing to him coz he'll likely fuck up the attack . Also other good situations he fucks up 4-5 times a game . It must be so frustrating and irritating for the other players to see this time and time again = makes everyone off their A-game.

He would be perfect to sub into games around 60-65' when we are winning and need to defend the lead and could use his brute force to win the ball back and power through the lines and set off on counters

Eventually I would like to see

-----Piatek------
--Rebic---Suso--
Paq------Bona--
----Bennacer---
Theo-Cap-Cal-Cal

So you expect Bona is able to press their fullback the same way Kessie is doing? You think if he does that all game he'll have the lucidity to keep playing the passes and making the runs people expect from Bonaventura?

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
That should happen deeper, with Bennacer. If we have to play Suso he has to be on the right where he's deadly. Anywhere else doesn't work.

No that’s like in ideal situations it should happen at Ismails position.
The team works dynamically and changes a lot of positions during the match in a hypersonic situation this can work out.
And why limit this role to only one player?

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No that’s like in ideal situations it should happen at Ismails position.
The team works dynamically and changes a lot of positions during the match in a hypersonic situation this can work out.
And why limit this role to only one player?

From what I can tell from watching and reading Giampaolos game he seems to want to construct pretty deep (even though his defensive line presses up really high) because what they try to do is to bait the opposition into a bad press. Once they catch a player pressing too aggressively that's where the attack starts. That's what I meant when I said the probing happens deep with Bennacer, and the CBs. Those are the players that are usually free and can draw the opposition, with passes into the midfielders that drop suddenly to create space.

Whoever plays in the AM position isn't there to shuffle the ball or to hold it and look for a penetrating pass. They're there to attack space, usually space that's created because of the movement of the two attackers. Since Suso doesn't do much of this and neither does Piatek as of now we're kind of stuck up front. It doesn't help that Castillejo can't charge his way up without falling over from a gentle breeze.

I'm hoping Rebic can be that physical presence that can attack the space between Piatek and Suso, and for Piatek to be more comfortable outside the box on the left side.

Playing Suso in the middle means we expect him to attack space that's usually crowded, which means he has to physically overpower players at times to make it through. No way that's going to happen. He won't be expected to drop deep and collect the ball to start a move because that's just not how we play. Maybe that's how Ancelotti's 4312 worked with Rui Costa, but I don't expect the AM in this side to be a playmaker. Giampaolo himself said it's more of an attacker role and that's why I think someone like Rebic would work better than Suso.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
From what I can tell from watching and reading Giampaolos game he seems to want to construct pretty deep (even though his defensive line presses up really high) because what they try to do is to bait the opposition into a bad press. Once they catch a player pressing too aggressively that's where the attack starts. That's what I meant when I said the probing happens deep with Bennacer, and the CBs. Those are the players that are usually free and can draw the opposition, with passes into the midfielders that drop suddenly to create space.

Whoever plays in the AM position isn't there to shuffle the ball or to hold it and look for a penetrating pass. They're there to attack space, usually space that's created because of the movement of the two attackers. Since Suso doesn't do much of this and neither does Piatek as of now we're kind of stuck up front. It doesn't help that Castillejo can't charge his way up without falling over from a gentle breeze.

I'm hoping Rebic can be that physical presence that can attack the space between Piatek and Suso, and for Piatek to be more comfortable outside the box on the left side.

Playing Suso in the middle means we expect him to attack space that's usually crowded, which means he has to physically overpower players at times to make it through. No way that's going to happen. He won't be expected to drop deep and collect the ball to start a move because that's just not how we play. Maybe that's how Ancelotti's 4312 worked with Rui Costa, but I don't expect the AM in this side to be a playmaker. Giampaolo himself said it's more of an attacker role and that's why I think someone like Rebic would work better than Suso.

I think Rebic is basically the perfect balancer of Suso and Piateks skill sett. Going to be wonderful to see them try it out for real.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
The Rebic - Suso - Piatek trio doesn't look sexy on paper, but they might work together as they all got different characteristics.

* Piatek scoring the goals and is always free from his marker, thanks to Rebic
* Suso the one creating the chances
* Rebic the one working hard and creating space for Suso to create chances and Piatek to be in a good position

Ideally, I would like to see that trio in 4321 formation, but sometimes it may change to a narrow 442 formation. Rebic left-midfielder, Calhanoglu and Benancer in the middle, Kessie right-midfielder and Suso (who is also on the flank) & Piatek up as strikers. It seemed like Giampaolo tried this tactic in the opening minutes vs Brescia.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
So you expect Bona is able to press their fullback the same way Kessie is doing? You think if he does that all game he'll have the lucidity to keep playing the passes and making the runs people expect from Bonaventura?

Lol obviously he can’t press same way Kessié can . Doesn’t mean he can’t be better in that role than Kessié though does it ? Good ball control , passing and understanding of how to open up space seems to be more important for GIampaolos play. Also Bona has played in a midfield 3 many times and played well so it’s not like he’d be a complete dud at it

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Imagine playing Samu over Rebic in this game, I say we revolt!!

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Imagine playing Samu over Rebic in this game, I say we revolt!!

Playing Samu over anyone for the rest of the season as a starter is :fp:

Noyon9s

Super Pippo <3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Maldini, Pirlo, Super Pippo
I have a feeling Borini will start

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Samu, Borini, Rodriguez starting :fp:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Post a rumoured line up the second it hits please.

My withdrawal symptoms are reaching a worrying state.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Can’t wait to see our boys playing again!

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Post a rumoured line up the second it hits please.

My withdrawal symptoms are reaching a worrying state.

78d8e19e5a13842ded6e2298be96f3ef.jpg

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Qaas is just trolling because he wants his Samu to play.

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Personally, i think the line up will be:

Donnarumma

Calabria - Romagnoli - Musacchio - Rodriguez

Kessie - Bennacer - Paqueta

Castillejo - Suso

Piatek

However, watch out for:

LB - Hernandez. I'm not sure how 100% and ready he is after that injury, but he should be ready for this game. May take RR's place so the latter can get some rest ahead of the Derby. 70% chance for him to start over RR.

CB - Duarte. Bad opposition, GP might risk it and hand him his debut, nonetheless i think Musacchio is favoured to start anyway, as he would like to go for the safe AR13 - MM22 option. 20% chance for him to start over Musacchio.

CM - Bonaventura. Looks to have shaken off the injury problems and was training with the team at Milanello during the international break. Personally, i wouldn't mind Jack starting over Paqueta in this game. GP wouldn't probably mind the same, after his recent comments on Paqueta. Wouldn't start Jack in the Derby, though. 40% chance for him to start over Paqueta.

AM - Rebic. Ante starting over Castillejo might, be a possibility, although i don't see it happening before some games, and not even this one, against fodder opposition. Castillejo knows GP's system (which one?:lol:) and was with the team during the international break. 20% chance for him to start over Castillejo.

Subs/Debut - Leao making his debut in this game. I'm very sure that will happen, no matter the scoreline or minute. 80% chance that he will make his debut.

Subs/Debut - Krunic making his debut. I've got the same feeling on this one as i got on Leao making his debut. 75% chance that he will make his debut. (5% less than Leao because he's a midfielder)

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
nice input fray :thumbsup:

I’d personally go for the following. Debut or not, this shouldn’t be a worry. These are professionals who have been training with us for weeks now.
In a 4312 the formation below should do.
This would gives us the freedom to switch to a 433 during the match with Leao and Rebic going to the flanks and they should also switch sides during the match.

Donnarumma

Calabria - Romagnoli - Duarte - Rodriguez

Rebic

Leao - Piatek

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
nice input fray :thumbsup:

I’d personally go for the following. Debut or not, this shouldn’t be a worry. These are professionals who have been training with us for weeks now.
In a 4312 the formation below should do.
This would gives us the freedom to switch to a 433 during the match with Leao and Rebic going to the flanks and they should also switch sides during the match.

Donnarumma

Calabria - Romagnoli - Duarte - Rodriguez

Rebic

Leao - Piatek

I think that we will see Suso in Leao's place still, and Rebic hasn't really trained (away with NT) so GP won't start him, so except Samu again. Unless he has the balls to try Hakan/Bona there instead.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Rebic definitely won't start.

This will be a tough game away at a tough stadium. Again I'm hoping for a squeaky 1-0 win with a Borini finish off a scramble after the 80th minute.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Rebic definitely won't start.

This will be a tough game away at a tough stadium. Again I'm hoping for a squeaky 1-0 win with a Borini finish off a scramble after the 80th minute.

Why would you hope that Borini scores instead of Piatek?

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan