Andrea Bertolacci Thread

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
That's because he hasn't played that position for us yet. If you'd watched him last season you'd realise he has all the qualities mentioned above. Btw playing regista isn't just about long range passing. Short, quick, one touch passes are equally crucial to building up play. Especially against teams who press.

Berto doesn't have the dribbling ability to be an effective AM.

Oh dribbling is very much a tool for an AM and nothing more. So many effective AMs who choose not to dribble to move forward. Also yesterday, he did do a nifty dribble that got him past 2 defenders with Balotelli to pass to. Further if we play Bonaventura behind Bertolacci, ball retention seems better as well. Bertolacci seems better at popping up in spaces more than in controlling the ball while in possession. I'd always play someone like that ahead while the more controlling guy should be behind. At least in Serie A.

I didnt say long-range passing. I said passing range. A regista needs to have a good passing range ie ability to execute different types of passes. Not sure Bertolacci has that range.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Passing range hey. Goal keepers would make good registas.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Oh dribbling is very much a tool for an AM and nothing more. So many effective AMs who choose not to dribble to move forward. Also yesterday, he did do a nifty dribble that got him past 2 defenders with Balotelli to pass to. Further if we play Bonaventura behind Bertolacci, ball retention seems better as well. Bertolacci seems better at popping up in spaces more than in controlling the ball while in possession. I'd always play someone like that ahead while the more controlling guy should be behind. At least in Serie A.

I didnt say long-range passing. I said passing range. A regista needs to have a good passing range ie ability to execute different types of passes. Not sure Bertolacci has that range.

It's not just dribbling skills he lacks pace/athleticism to play AM. He's too static. I watched him last season and his creativity/passing range is his strongest asset. He's an equally good passer with both feet which is a pretty rare skillset.

Watch these videos and you'll see what I'm talking about. Plenty of examples of Bertolacci creating play from deep with long balls, crosses, flicks etc.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
He's got until christmas to prove himself, then it's off to wherever for 10m, his real market price.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
His passing > Monto's

That's what I've been saying all along. Not just his passing his vision/creativity is far better than Monty's which is why he should be playing regista. Monty would work better as a b2b.

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
That's what I've been saying all along. Not just his passing his vision/creativity is far better than Monty's which is why he should be playing regista. Monty would work better as a b2b.

Miha got the idea but I dont think he want to risk it right now, but hell its zero year again for Milan, Miha should experiment everything he can.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score

Bro, we are talking about regista and trequartista.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou

:thumbsdown:

EPQQi9.gif

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
^ :lol::lol:

Come on give Gad Elmaleh a break. That was pre-season and he was coming off an injury plagued year. Besides where else would you play him? He's no AM and Bertolacci's far more creative so should be playing regista. IIRC before his injuries Monty had a pretty good engine on him.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
It means that u need to know how to defend. He should play at cam.

He hasn't got the pace/athleticism/dribbling skills to be an effective AM. Bertolacci's no scrub defensively. His defensive stats are near identical to Monty's except he's far more creative. He also wins the same number of tackles as De Jong.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
His passing > Monto's

Miha got the idea but I dont think he want to risk it right now, but hell its zero year again for Milan, Miha should experiment everything he can.

what the hell you guys smoking?

monto is easily the best passer in the team. hes bang in form while berto is desperately out of form and you want to swap monto's position for a guy that doesn't even make it in the first 11 at this stage?

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
what the hell you guys smoking?

monto is easily the best passer in the team. hes bang in form while berto is desperately out of form and you want to swap monto's position for a guy that doesn't even make it in the first 11 at this stage?

Montolivo's a one-dimensional passer who lacks the vision/passing range of a regista which Bertolacci has.

Bertolacci's just come back from injury and is trying to find his spot in a new team so give him a break.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Former Coaches discuss Bertolacci

Milan's Andrea Bertolacci is discussed by his former Coaches Gigi Del Neri and Gian Piero Gasperini, who disagree about his tactical position.

La Gazzetta dello Sport ran a series of interviews on the Rossoneri's new signing. On from Serse Cosmi's statements, Del Neri also discussed the player he coached at Genoa in the 2012-13 season.

“Bertolacci can play in the [Andrea] Pirlo role,” he said. “In the diamond formation I'd place him in front of the defence, because he can break up the game and has a skilled foot.

“He can throw long balls and intercept, he's good at getting rid of marking.

“I can't see him just as easily behind the strikers [as an offensive midfielder], because he's good at seeing the game in front of him but not as skilled when starting with the goal behind his back.

“It isn't easy to deal with the pressure of the Milan environment. It's logical that he should have a bit of trouble in adapting.”

Genoa's Gian Piero Gasperini played the 24-year-old last year in the middle of a four-man midfield, rather than in front of the defence or behind the strikers.

“That's where I like him best, where the game is most lively,” he said.

“He started as a trequartista, then he underwent a substantial tactical evolution, maturing in the defensive phase as he learnt how to tackle.

“In any case he is versatile and can do anything. In Genoa he played in all the more defensive games as well as others in which all he had to do was directing play.”
http://app.football-italia.net/?ref...scuss-bertolacci#article/footballitalia-73779

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
So we bought player as offensive minded midfielder and now we discuss about what is his best position to play? :fp::fp:

All discussion about use him deeper is strange for me. He is playing in midfield all the time and he have always barely seen around defense when we were starting action or when we were with ball but under pressure in defense. Just as midfielder (in 4312) its pretty much his own choice to position himself depending of what currently happen. He could easily move back and support more defense with his mystical creativity and his natural regista role but he doesnt.

Please correct me if you guys noticed him playing close to monto and defense because i just didnt see him much there.

Last edited:

milanicious

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't see him making it as an attacking midfielder or central midfielder.

His abilities are just too poor.

The sad thing is that he is our big midfield signing.

I hope some team knocks on the door in January with 10m.

Last edited:

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
kojak, i actually think you have a solid point. since Miha is testing players all over midfield, maybe berto should experiment as a regista. He does have characteristics that can make it work...

however I don't think he's failing because he can't play the LCM/RCM role. I think he needs to just adapt and find his feet.. he just needs time. If he continues to fail at the positions we've tried him, I think it would be an interesting experiment to try him there.

pkriston

Primavera
Reaction score
This guy hasn't shown much at all. Soon time to accept the fact that he is another Cerci (still one of my favorites). Small team player.... Would love for him to prove me wrong.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He played 3 games for us....

Miha should switch to a 442 with Monto&Berto central, Jack on the left and Kuco on the right. Bacca and Luiz up front.

Bertolacci isn't a trequartista

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
It's useless trying to find his best position, wherever you put him it won't change the fact that he's shit and average player. We fail with him, get over it. :o

Lord Snow

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
All good things take time.Give the boy 2 seasons before you label him a failure.Any person that's successful will realise the hard work that is involved in making something good/great.
Fuck the Haters.

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
He played 3 games for us....

Miha should switch to a 442 with Monto&Berto central, Jack on the left and Kuco on the right. Bacca and Luiz up front.

Bertolacci isn't a trequartista

And bacca is only but only a poacher.

Schedule