Gianni Rivera thread

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
My Golden Boy: Gianni Rivera
Gianni Rivera was crowned king of European football in 1969. Paolo La Vecchia pays tribute to the epitome of calcio cool
rivera460.jpg

Gianni Rivera was the original Golden Boy even before he became the first Italian-born winner of the Ballon d’Or. It was a nickname given to him by the legendary Gipo Viani, the ultra-defensive Milan co-Coach who instantly fell in love with the Bambino d’Oro, as he called him, during a scouting mission to Alessandria.

So excited with what he had found, Viani phoned Milan President Andrea Rizzoli for permission to sign him. The Rossoneri chief was unsure, especially given that the unproven midfielder was just out of school and would cost him a massive 90m Lire.

“President, there was fog,” Viani is noted as saying. “You could only see silhouettes and at times you couldn’t tell whether it was him or Schiaffino! Sign him President, listen to me.” Rizzoli, who at the time couldn’t even remember the boy’s name, agreed. It was the finest purchase he ever made.

Rivera, initially, was sent back to Alessandria on loan in order to bulk up given his fragile 16-year-old frame. But even on his return to Milan, boss Nereo Rocco had his doubts until he gave him a game. Once in the side, he basically stayed there for the next 19 years.

“It’s true that he doesn’t run much, but if I want my team to play, to have fantasy, from the first minute until the last, then Rivera is the only player who can give that to me,” said Rocco with his trademark Trieste twang. “I don’t want to exaggerate, because at the end of the day this is only football, but Rivera is a genius.”

Rivera was undoubtedly class personified, a player ahead of his time with vision, finesse, as well as the hair and film star good looks to boot. "His neck is like that of a swan,” Giorgio Bocca once wrote. “His eyes and tuft belong to a rare and precious bird. When he is in full flow, he reminds me of a heron." Fellow writer Gianni Mottana added: "He doesn’t touch the ball. He brushes it. He even seems to float over the ground when he runs."

Rivera, the son of a railway worker, was not universally loved though. As with so many gifted players who preceded and followed him, he was one of the most contentious footballers that Italian football has ever produced.

Although once given a nine out of 10 by famed journalist Gianni Brera for his performance in a Bologna-Milan tie, the scribe was Rivera’s biggest critic. He baptised him as Abatino, a young priest, to signify that Rivera was a luxury and too weak for the game at the time. “Rivera is a great stylist,” Brera argued. “He’s an intelligent footballer which allows him to make the right decisions, but he doesn’t run. In my opinion, he is a great half-player.”

Fortunately, style defeated substance when in 1969 Rivera was awarded the Golden Ball and named European Footballer of the Year. He’d already come close in 1963 when he was runner-up to Russian goalkeeper Lev Yashin, but he would triumph six years later when he pipped Cagliari and Italy teammate Gigi Riva to the prize by just four votes.

“For me, it was perhaps the most important thing I won,” Rivera stated. “The Scudetti and the European Cups were significant, but they were won with the team. This honour was particularly special because of the way it was structured given the involvement of so many people. Saying that it was indispensable to be involved in European competition with my club.”

The European Cup Final of 1969 was undoubtedly a vital component in his personal victory. Playing against an Ajax team which included the emerging Johan Cruyff, Rivera set up two of Pierino Prati’s hat-trick in a 4-1 demolition. The first assist was with a visionary back-heel, the second a perfectly weighted cross which had goal written all over it as it poetically glided through the air.

Milan ended that campaign second in Serie A, but finished the year as world champions after a 4-2 win over Estudiantes.

While Rivera never enjoyed the success he deserved for the Italian national side, where he suffered the so-called staffetta – relay – with Sandro Mazzola, he was an institution with the Rossoneri for almost two decades.

He ended his career in 1979, after 501 games for the club, by winning his third League championship as Milan lifted Lo Scudetto della Stella – the gold star title. It was a worthy ending for a player who was undoubtedly worthy of the Golden Ball, no matter what Brera thought of him.

The 1969 Golden Ball podium

Gianni Rivera (Milan) 83 points
Gigi Riva (Cagliari) 79 points
Gerd Muller (Bayern Munich) 38 points

http://www.football-italia.net/gb/rivera.html

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Lorena said:
I read today a bit of a book on Rivera, and I wanted to post this incident.

Days before playing with CSKA Sofia, Rivera had an acute pain in his ankle. In the hotel,. before playing Napoli in Naples, Bergamasco, second to Rocco, came over to him and without any warning stepped over his ankle.
"So? - roared Rivera - It REALLY hurts, no need to test it, if I say it!"
"I told Marino to check your reaction . said Rocco from behind - And I don't like it a bit. Anyway, be quiet as if you were OK. Silence, the enemy is hearing. You won't want them coming out feeling they'lll win. So, silence and joy. C'mon captain, a good wide smile"

So Rivera smiled on to the pitch. And he heard the fierce catcalls the Neapolitans reserved for Milan. At the very end, the speaker read his name. It was hell on earth: jeers catcalls and whistles. So the smile, masking the pain, came out as pride. "If the people in an away game reprove, that means they fear. But if they fear, that means they admire. Effective pride, to be so admired with only one leg is a great honor."

That was Gianni Rivera. 62 and no signs of feeling them.
http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?p=3236847#post3236847

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tales from the Rivera bank
January 4, 2004

By Roberto Gotta
(Archive)

Gianni Rivera saved my life.

That would make a hell of an opening sentence, but it would be a tabloid-truth, not an actual truth.

Let me just say Gianni Rivera did something, nearly 24 years ago, that increased my chances of seeing another dawn and being here now, whether it is a good thing or not.

It was May 6, 1979, and I had travelled from Alessandria, one hour southwest of Milano and by the way Rivera's birthplace, to the San Siro, for Milan's home game with Bologna, the last of their campaign: one point would have given the Rossoneri their tenth Scudetto and with it the much coveted Stella, the yellow star which permanently adorns the shirts of the clubs who have won ten Italian titles.

Typically for an Italian stadium - it still happens, making a mockery of all safety regulations - more people had been let in than the San Siro could hold, and a few thousand fans had overflowed into the lower section of the upper tier, which was cordoned off for safety reasons, as it was under renovation.

I was sitting in the lower tier, and had anything from above - people, bricks, tools - fallen down it would have landed right on my head.

The start of the game was delayed as Rivera, Milan captain and talisman, was handed a microphone and pleaded with the overflowed fans to retreat to safer areas. Most of them did, I breathed a sigh of relief, the game started and the most predictable draw in history - Bologna also needed a point to avoid relegation, so neither side broke sweat - was completed without much fuss.

You can still catch sight of Rivera holding a microphone these days, but in a completely different setting. Now 60 - hard to believe for those who have followed his career and seen him keep his boyish looks and gorgeous hairstyle - Rivera is the host of a popular Tv talk show on Telelombardia, a regional Tv channel that originates from Milan but can be seen in most of Northern Italy.

But those who only know Rivera in his current guise or as a politician cannot even begin to understand the fascinating, controversial story of one of Italy's most talented footballers ever, one that certanly can only be summarily told here.

Rivera attracted a generation of fans to the game, which he played with grace, vision and an effortless poise that brought him as many raptured friends as enemies and inspired three books, two in the Sixties and one, Nato a Betlemme ('Born in Betlehem'... enough said), a couple of years ago.

Famously, legendary late sportwriter Gianni Brera dubbed him 'Abatino', one of Brera's many ingenious expressions, a term that literally means 'young abbot' but metaphorically placed Rivera in the cadre of players whose fine touch and languid style made them look as if they were not giving their best, and would have provoked the 'get stuck in!' treatment from the less sympathetic onlookers.

A prodigy with Alessandria, for whom he'd made his debut at 15 years, ten months of age on June 2, 1959, Rivera joined Milan in the summer of 1960 and duly went on the dominate the next two decades from his preferred position in the centre of midfield.

Sporting the legendary number 10 that still defines the archetypal brainy player in Italian football, Rivera led Milan to three Scudettos, four Italian Cups, two European Cups, two Cup Winners' Cups, one Intercontinental Cup.

He was named European Player of the Year in 1969, only a few months after Milan had been the last team to truly stop the progress of up-and-coming Ajax in the European Cup Final at the Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid, and six years after the 3-1 Wembley triumph over Benfica in the same competition, when then 20-year old Rivera had been nicknamed 'The Golden Boy' by the British press.

His elegant style belied an outspoken personality which led him to clash with almost everyone who was someone in Italian football: he accused referees of being biased and of plotting Milan's downfall in a couple of Serie A campaigns, he famously hinted that by employing a libero - in that case, the late Inter skipper Armando Picchi - Italy were becoming too defensive and were giving up one man when playing against the world's top sides.

He openly criticized National team supervisor Walter Mandelli for leading a newspaper-inspired crusade against him during the 1970 World Cup at a time when, as he admitted a few months ago to monthly magazine Calcio 2000, he felt he was in one of the best shapes of his life: this perceived ostracism led to his exclusion from the final against Brazil after he'd scored the winning goal in the 4-3 semi-final thriller against West Germany.

The fact that team coach Ferruccio Valcareggi only sent him on with six minutes to play and Italy already down 3-1 deepened Rivera's bitterness.

Not only Rivera's, apparently: when the Azzurri arrived back to Italy after the final, they were expecting a warm welcome at the airport but found instead an angry crowd, disappointed with the meek surrender in the last game, and Rivera was the only one who not only escaped criticism.

He emerged as the misunderstood hero of the occasion, his benching against Brazil seen as the real reason for Italy's failure to trouble Brazil's rearguard.

Reports from that time give you the feeling his teammates were less than impressed by his popularity and by his tendency to heap praise on himself, but his cockiness was partially justified by his actions on the pitch and his achievements.

You watch footage from those years now and everyone seems slower than now, Rivera perhaps slower still and keeping the ball too much, but his forte was in spraying inspired passes around and always going forward, with a more than average eye for goal for a midfielder: he was the Serie A's joint top scorer in 1972-73 with 17 goals in a 30-match season, and ended his Milan career with 124 goals in 501 games.

Although Juventus and Inter were as popular as Milan during the Sixties and the Seventies, only Inter's Sandro Mazzola, whom Valcareggi had preferred to Rivera in Italy's starting XI againt Brazil in 1970, and perhaps Gigi Riva, the unstoppable Cagliari centre-forward, caught the public's imagination as much as Rivera did.

However, neither was as controversial as Rivera, Abatino and all, was, not least because he was also inspirational in helping support the fledgling Players' Union.

His transition from iconic footballer with good looks and an almost aristocratic poise to current Tv personality has not been straightforward.

As far removed from the dumb-jock cliche as one can possibly be, Rivera retired from football after that 1979 Scudetto win and was given a vice-president's job, but Milan's fortunes immediately took a turn for the worse and after the 1979-80 season they were relegated by the Italian Football Federation for a betting scandal.

They again went down two years later, at the end of the 1981-82 season - this time because they were simply too poor - and after immediately gaining promotion back they were mediocre for a couple of campaigns until a Silvio Berlusconi purchased the club in 1986.

In the managerial and organizational shakeup that followed Berlusconi's arrival, Rivera was offered a far less influential role as chairman of the supporters' club but he turned it down and that was his last involvement with Milan.

He embarked on a political career which saw him elected to the Parliament for four consecutive terms, 1987 to 2001, in the ranks of the centre-left coalition, and he was under secretary of Defence (ironically, a facet he'd always been accused of neglecting, in football) for one term.

His political career stalled, he's nonetheless a sports consultant for the city of Rome and still a very popular figure: his name was put forward in many quarters last summer as a candidate for the chairmanship of the Italian Federation at a time when it was in shambles following the scandal of the invalid financial guarantees provided by some clubs and the legal battles which eventually saw the Serie B expanded to 24 clubs and Fiorentina hand-picked for a leap from the C1 to the B.

But his candidacy never got off the ground - Franco Carraro is still chairman - and it is believed opposition to him had come from Berlusconi's circle. Members of the ruling coalition still do not accept invitations to Rivera's talk show, on the grounds that they do not want to attract attention to someone who could be a popular candidate for Mayor of Milan against them.

This long-running but subdued feud between Berlusconi and Rivera has been a source of grief and split allegiances for many Milan fans who are grateful to Italy's current Prime Minister for saving the Rossoneri and helping them become again one of the world's top teams.

At the same time many cannot (and must not) forget - at least the older among them - that Rivera had propelled them there in the first place four decades ago.

It would take just one goodwill gesture to make things better, but the chances of Rivera's legendary number 10 shirt being retired - although not an Italian tradition - are not great at the moment, and this is sad however you look at it.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=287566&root=europe&cc=5739

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
thnx 4 the articles jasp

3253356.jpg

i feel like if i was living in the 60s this is the type of swag level i'd be trying to achieve

gianni-rivera.jpg

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
The Pirlo of his day, and I say that with the upmost respect. :star:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This is really not about Rivera rather than the style of gobbi, but you have to be damn good for someone to pull sth like Tardelli does in the video.

Good to see Lo Stile Juve lives on in Melo + Krasic. Here's a fave of mine. Tardelli foul on Rivera

http://twitter.com/#!/JamesHorncastle

Last edited:

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Friday 1 April, 2011 Rivera tips Milan for Derby glory

The legendary Gianni Rivera has unsurprisingly tipped Milan to triumph in Saturday's Derby della Madonnina.

The 67-year-old Golden Boy won everything with Milan in the `60s and `70s, and feels Max Allegri's side still have an edge on their rivals.

Milan have a two-point lead on Inter in Serie A with eight games remaining this season.

Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, he said: “Right now Milan are the favourites because they are ahead in the League table.

It's a derby that could become decisive because if Milan win they'd find their confidence again.”

Asked if Zlatan Ibrahimovic's absence would hurt Milan, Rivera said: “A team is great if it can do without a player, if its collective value makes the difference.

“Ibra is important, but you never win anything by yourself.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Pretty boy. I love him. :star:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pre-derby interview:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Gianni Rivera At Cormons
Gianni Rivera was a guest of honor at the opening day of Cormons in the province of Gorizia, for the second edition of Goal a Grappoli, dedicated to 100 years of the national team and to Enzo Bearzot. The ex Milan number 10 received his award in front of two of his old coach's children. Rivera said, "I considered myself his son. He focused on human relationships. Today there's too much focus on tactics."

I read somewhere that he's not part of Milan like Baresi and all because of his political disagreements with Berlu, is that true?

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Gianni Rivera At Cormons

I read somewhere that he's not part of Milan like Baresi and all because of his political disagreements with Berlu, is that true?

betting scandal in milan before berlu took over milan happened under riveras watch and berlu didnt want anyone from previous management so he kept away from Rivera

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
betting scandal in milan before berlu took over milan happened under riveras watch and berlu didnt want anyone from previous management so he kept away from Rivera

Ohok! Thanks, Got. :thumbsup: I knew he was involved with Milan before Berlu took over but always thought it was coz of some other reasons.

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giovanni Rivera – Il Ragazzo d’Oro
2nd July 2011 | Written by Joe Crann
Giovanni Rivera, the deep-lying midfield maestro who, in 1969, was given the Ballon d’or for his excellence, will always be remembered for his timeless grace and composed style of play. However, this star of world football had an extremely modest upbringing.

On the 18th August 1943 a star was born in Alessandria. Giovanni Rivera was brought up by a poor family, playing football on the backstreets near where he lived whenever he got the chance. His father noticed the promise that his son was showing and, at 13, sent him for a trial with the local team.

His natural poise and sheer comfort whilst on the ball attracted the attention of the Alessandria coaches and he was snapped up three days later.

http://www.calcistico.com/index.php/2011/07/classic-giovanni-rivera-il-ragazzo-doro/

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Happy birthday to The Golden Boy!

Last edited:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

squaresolid

8-bit noise~
Reaction score
Fav. Players
▌║║█║║▌│║█║█│
Gianni Rivera to receive UEFA President's Award
Former AC Milan and Italy playmaker Gianni Rivera will become the latest football great honoured with the UEFA President's Award when he collects the prize for 2011 in Milan on 12 March.

1763173_w2.jpg

Gianni Rivera in action for Italy at the 1962 FIFA World Cup in Chile ©Getty Images

One of Italian football's greatest names, Gianni Rivera, is to receive the UEFA President's Award for 2011 at a special ceremony to be held on Monday 12 March in Milan, Italy.

Rivera, whose playmaking brilliance thrilled the crowds and brought success to AC Milan and Italy during a superb career in the 1960s and early 1970s, will be presented with the award by UEFA President Michel Platini during a ceremony at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza next Monday at 12.00CET.

Speaking about the award, Michel Platini said: "Gianni Rivera is surely one of the great ambassadors for football at both club and country level, having worn the AC Milan jersey over 500 times and represented his country at four FIFA World Cups. He was also one of the greatest passers of all time who was known for his impeccable dribbling and distribution. In addition, Gianni Rivera was a true gentleman, both on and off the field of play, and he has remained so to this day. It gives me great pleasure to honour him with the UEFA President's Award for 2011."

Rivera joined Milan from US Alessandria Calcio 1912 in 1960, meeting immediate success. He won Serie A in 1962 and went on to lift the European Champion Clubs' Cup in 1963. He then repeated this winning streak – with another league title in 1968 the prelude to him lifting the Rossoneri's second European Cup in 1969 as captain.

This triumph earned him individual plaudits and he was awarded the France Football Ballon d'Or in 1969.

Rivera played a total of 501 Serie A matches for Milan, scoring 160 goals. Internationally, he represented Italy 60 times, scoring 14 goals. He participated in four World Cups – 1962, 1966, 1970 and 1974 – and was part of the Squadra Azzurra that won the UEFA European Football Championship in 1968.

Gianni Rivera, now aged 68, is the latest in a distinguished group of football greats to collect the UEFA President's Award – a tribute to outstanding achievements, professional excellence and exemplary personal qualities. Recent recipients include Raymond Kopa (2010), Eusébio (2009), Sir Bobby Charlton (2008) and Alfredo di Stéfano (2007).

Media wishing to attend the award ceremony are kindly requested to contact the Milan press office by emailing giorgia.buizza@acmilan.it and riccardo.coli@acmilan.it no later than Friday 9 March. The ceremony will be followed by a photo opportunity on stage and a press conference attended by Gianni Rivera, Michel Platini and Milan vice-president and CEO, Adriano Galliani.

tpr11.jpg

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
question:

why was Gianni banned from Coppa Italia games and why was he still allowed to play in the Serie A?

and congrats on the award! :beer:

squaresolid

8-bit noise~
Reaction score
Fav. Players
▌║║█║║▌│║█║█│

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
422082_10150609961551937_147054831936_9297704_1830554526_n.jpg

Milan great receive award from Michel Platini at a special UEFA ceremony in Milan

MILAN
- One of Italian football’s greatest names, Gianni Rivera, has received the UEFA President’s Award for 2011 at a special ceremony held today, Monday 12 March in Milan where Rossoneri chief executive Adriano Galliani was also present.

Rivera, whose playmaking brilliance thrilled the crowds and brought success to AC Milan and Italy during a superb career in the 1960s and early 1970s, was presented with the award by UEFA President Michel Platini during a ceremony at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza.

Here are some sound-bites from the ceremony:

ADRIANO GALLIANI

"Rivera is the fifth person to receive this award and he has been preceded by players who have made ​​the history in the world of football. This is the club that has won more trophies in the world, 18 international titles, we should be proud."

MICHEL PLATINI

"Thank you all for being here. In 2007 I thought that the the President's award should be handed out to the great champions of European football. Gianni Rivera has racked up many nicknames in an age when football was not discussed as it is today. Worldwide we remember the incredible extra-time at the Azteca in 1970, he was perhaps the first modern era midfield player. Gianni was one who understood and reasoned strategy, a player's brain who knew that the ball traveled faster than man. he found his team-mates, even if he did not look up, I'll get the ball where you need it. When he won the Golden Ball in 1969, it was the title of France Football: pure class. But it was also the results: he has been successful all with the international club and national teams, competing in the Olympics and four World Championships in Rome in 1960. Everyone remembers the matches and his lightness of touch."

GIANNI RIVERA

"I'm speechless, I thank all the presidents I have had at club and international level, and especially all my former team-mates. Many are here – I wish they could all be. I thank Michel Platini for this award, especially for the noble reasons behind it. I think everybody would understand if one day he gives this award to himself. I thank Milan because it's really a special club and I hope that one day another Italian player will receive this award. I think the only way to do it is to work for quality more than quantity."

RIVERA'S CAREER

Rivera joined Milan from US Alessandria Calcio 1912 in 1960, meeting immediate success. He won Serie A in 1962 and went on to lift the European Champion Clubs’ Cup in 1963. He then repeated this winning streak – with another league title in 1968 the prelude to him lifting the Rossoneri’s second European Cup in 1969 as captain.

This triumph earned him individual plaudits and he was awarded the France Football Ballon d’Or in 1969.

Rivera played a total of 501 Serie A matches for Milan, scoring 160 goals. Internationally, he represented Italy 60 times, scoring 14 goals. He participated in four FIFA World Cups – 1962, 1966, 1970 and 1974 – and was part of the Squadra Azzurra that won the UEFA European Football Championship in 1968.

Gianni Rivera, now aged 68, is the latest in a distinguished group of football greats to collect the UEFA President’s Award – a tribute to outstanding achievements, professional excellence and exemplary personal qualities. Recent recipients include Raymond Kopa (2010), Eusébio (2009), Sir Bobby Charlton (2008) and Alfredo di Stéfano (2007).

The ceremony will be followed by a photo opportunity on stage and a press conference attended by Gianni Rivera, Michel Platini and Milan vice-president and CEO, Adriano Galliani.

http://www.acmilan.com/en/news/show/139620

Hondayum

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti
Congratulations to Mr. Gianni Rivera :)

I'm going to look for some footage of him for Milan and Italy - hopefully my mind will be blown :)

Hondayum

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti
Congratulations to Mr. Gianni Rivera :)

I'm going to look for some footage of him for Milan and Italy - hopefully my mind will be blown :)

Here's a start:

*Post #100 :)

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
if i see this footage, we should retire the number 8 forever

Schedule