Alessandro Matri Thread

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
Didn't Juve just buy this kid a year ago?

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I would prefer to see Milan strengthen further back, so I would have no complaints about Matri as a cheap-ish squad player.

I would view him as back-up to Pato as Cassano's partner. Cassano-Pato has the potential to be a top class pairing. But Pato is still a gamble, so you also want a solid striker who does the simple things, works hard and moves well. Matri fits that description, and players like him can really profit from Cassano's service.

Midfield midfield midfield.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I would view him as back-up to Pato as Cassano's partner. Cassano-Pato has the potential to be a top class pairing. But Pato is still a gamble, so you also want a solid striker who does the simple things, works hard and moves well. Matri fits that description, and players like him can really profit from Cassano's service.

Exactly this. I posted an overall round-up in a thread that seemed relevant, but is treated provincial. That has some relation to this -
The way I see it, we need 1 CF and 1 DM for the midfield and attack. Starters in bold.

---Cassano/El Shaarawy-----------Pato/X
----------------------------------------------------------Boateng/Robinho

-----Noce/Flamini--------X/Ambro/Traore-----Monto/Constant---

---------------------------------------Defense & GK--------------------------------

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I would prefer to see Milan strengthen further back, so I would have no complaints about Matri as a cheap-ish squad player.

Midfield midfield midfield.

if pato is really over his serious injuries, then cassano is the gamble IMO.

cassano is lazy, always has been, but the main issue now is his inconsistency and the fact that he can't give you 90min, let alone 3 games a week.

I guess if signing matri on loan with obligation to buy or for 6-8 million would leave Milan with cash to spend for the midfield and defense, then I'm all for that.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
if pato is really over his serious injuries, then cassano is the gamble IMO.

cassano is lazy, always has been, but the main issue now is his inconsistency and the fact that he can't give you 90min, let alone 3 games a week.

At very least, Cassano can be trusted to stand on the left and be 09-10 Ronaldinho.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
true, even though he would be the poor version.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Cassano, even if he puts on another 10 kgs and permanently camps in the left wing, will make at least one defence-splitting pass per match. Which a fit Pato will put away more often than not. Hence the potential of the duo.

Unlike Ronaldinho, Cassano can do the simple thing and always looks to do the simple thing.. That's the difference.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I personally do not think Cassano is a worthwhile gamble for milan.

Not in it's current economic state. Paying those wages to a guy who cannot play 90 minutes and could easily get fat etc.

Cassano, even if he puts on another 10 kgs and permanently camps in the left wing, will make at least one defence-splitting pass per match. Which a fit Pato will put away more often than not. Hence the potential of the duo.

Unlike Ronaldinho, Cassano can do the simple thing and always looks to do the simple thing.. That's the difference.

Well said and it sums it up.

You don't get extra points for 'degree of difficulty'

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
true, even though he would be the poor version.

Disagree. In theory, Ronaldinho could do more. In practice, I probably prefer Cassano for the limited role of static crosser/passer.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
cassano is a guarantee...not a gamble

senatore r u srs...he could get fat :fp:
let him get fat it doesnt matter

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Cassano will improve physically as the season goes. At some point he will last 90 minutes.
It's still a bit too early from his recovery.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
cassano is not afraid to go through center
dinho lost it in 2006

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
a lot of it has to do with his fitness, if he can't cope then robinho should be the SS.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
cassano adds more to team game that dinho of 09

cassano willadd so many assist to his name it wont be funny. but he want to leave lets sell him

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
i think ses is gonna steal a lot of game time from cassano. i think he's gonna start when the season begins.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
cassano is a guarantee...not a gamble

senatore r u srs...he could get fat :fp:
let him get fat it doesnt matter

Look man, I love antonio, but at some point milan needs to make decisions with their head not heart.

Cassano could be a balon dor winner if he wanted to. but he's not.....

Look at his history. Look at his condition. Look at him already saying he wants to go to sampdoria.

do you really think Cassano is type who will be producing at 33? 34? I mean I see guys like Zlatan or Pippo who's work ethic are so high, and you know, they can play into there mid30s. Do you see Cassano that way?

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
I think Cassano deserves atleast next season before we even decide if we should let him go or not

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
i think ses is gonna steal a lot of game time from cassano. i think he's gonna start when the season begins.

if he picks up from last night during pre season, I agree with this.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Robinho or SES is the second striker, Milan need a new, creative trequartista.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
If Robinho or SES is the second striker, Milan need a new, creative trequartista.

the boateng, robinho, pato trident worked well in 10/11.

Milan do need more creativity, but it's not necessarily at trequartista, even though that seems more obvious fit

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Milan do need more creativity, but it's not necessarily at trequartista, even though that seems more obvious fit

when ibra got his suspensions/ poor form at the end of 10/11 those three were great, ill never forget the derby win against inter, pato (2) and cassano. the best form of improving the attack (and the defense) is to get CM'd who can pass and hold possession. possession is everything in football today just look at italy and spain.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
btw i really don't think we need matri. allegri doesn't like a poacher anyway or he would have used inzaghi. i don't think matri is that much better than maxi lopez and i wouldn't take back maxi

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I dont think squad rotation would be a problem .. we no longer have ibra who is unwilling to be benched because of his importance and his charachter.

cassano pato would be an awesome combo
but boateng adds fuck all in defense even though he is force upfront .. we need a solid midfield to cover for that trident I dont even know what we are going to do this season except we are going to win more big games than last year and lose against smaller opposition :eek:

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
matri would be fine but why not just bring borriello back?

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
he would cost about the same and he's already a proven failure

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Could be good if Milan decide to give up on having 70% possession and counter-attack more. It would also be easier to build a midfield for a less possession-intensive style of play.

On the second point, I agree. Fixed trequartista as main source of creativity = giant pain in the arse.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
The striker scored 10 times as Juve won Serie A last season, but with the Turin giants reportedly lining up moves for Robin van Persie and Mattia Destro, the 27-year old has been linked with a transfer to the club where he started his professional career.

During Milan's 1-0 defeat to the Bianconeri in the pre-season meeting on Saturday, Bonera is reported to have said, "Will you come to Milan?" to Matri, who replied "I'll see".

The Old Lady's victory over the Rossoneri came after they had lost their first 45-minute match 1-0 to Inter, with new signing and former Nerazzurri man Lucio at fault for Philippe Coutinho's goal.

Andrea Stramaccioni's side secured their third successive victory in the pre-season event by beating their city rivals 2-1 in the final match of the night, courtesy of goals from Fredy Guarin and new signing Rodrigo Palacio.

Milan are in need of a striker to boost their attack after selling Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Paris Saint-Germain for €23 million.

bonera acting like a senatore

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Could be good if Milan decide to give up on having 70% possession and counter-attack more. It would also be easier to build a midfield for a less possession-intensive style of play.

On the second point, I agree. Fixed trequartista as main source of creativity = giant pain in the arse.

Allegri generally tries to get the team to play more vertical/direct and less posession oriented.

I disagree that its easier. At the moment milan lack midfields who are effective closing down space and reading the game well. They're all kind of guys who thrive on uptempo pressing and running.

Lionheart

Banned
Reaction score
Will you come to AC Milan? - Bonera asks Matri if he wants to join him at San Siro

The Rossoneri stopper brought up the much-touted move while marking the attacker in Saturday's pre-season tournament against the Old Lady and Inter

I hope this guy comes. Seriously, he put up some good numbers for the limited game-time he's had.

Schedule