The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Players & Staff

AC Milan Players & Staff Share your views on the current AC Milan players & staff, from the seniors to the Primavera and even lower.

Old 18-06-2016, 23:20   #1
Polotelli
AC Milan Icon

Default Official: Marco Giampaolo Thread

This guy is being linked with us a lot lately, so it might happen
He'll be the guy that starts project ItalMilan

He likes to use the 4-3-1-2 formation

Interesting players he could bring with him

- Riccardo Saponara
- Leandro Paredes
- Piotr Zielinski
- Lorenzo Tonelli (too late)

Last 5 seasons (You don't really wanna know )

2010/11 - Catania - Serie A - "mutual consent" after half a season at 15th place
2011/12 - Cesena - Serie A - sacked after 9 games at 20th place
2013/14 - Brescia - Serie B - left after 5 games at 8th place
2014/15 - Cremonese - Lega Pro - 8th place
2015/16 - Empoli - Serie A - 10th place
Polotelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 15:19   #2
Mario
AC Milan Icon

Great read on Giampaolo's complex tactics & gameplan at Empoli
Team analysis: Empoli
http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/05/...alysis-empoli/
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 15:46   #3
Raz
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Very good article.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 15:53   #4
Tadej
Banned

Quote:
“To be honest with you, the situation hasn’t changed that much. We play the same tactical formation and our training sessions are just slightly different. Giovanni Martusciello and Sarri’s former staff have remained with us, so there are no big differences to last year, at least as far as our tactic is concerned.”
After this statement i can say that he didnt do much, just continued sarri work. We need a coach like sarri, cunte, not another allegri.
Tadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 17:04   #5
Mario
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvalinho View Post
Very good article.
Indeed, hats off to the guy who put in the effort to make it. The vines included in the article are also brilliant.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 17:10   #6
ykou
Senior Team Member

why him?
ykou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 18:38   #7
Polotelli
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Good read

But I don't like this style of play at all
Polotelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 19:13   #8
Sage
Phase 3

no thnx
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 19:31   #9
Qaas
Mystery Guy

Fav. Players: KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi

Offensive football <3
Qaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 19:55   #10
necromancer
Il Diamante

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

I can't wait to have him here and for us to revert back to playing good compact noughties Milan style football again.

A good regista is critical though and I hope he convinces us to sign Parades the same way Miha convinced us to splash cash on Romagnoli last season.

Parades knows the diamond system very well by now.

For younger members' benefit, Giampaolo was once touted to be one of the next great Italian coaches.. Sometime in the last decade. Capello picked him out as his heir and Juve were close to signing him.

Then he had a couple of high profile failures at Cagliari (not helped by Cellino and his style) and then at Brescia.. Where again the management used him when ultras got mad with them etc. Giampaolo does have a short fuse though.

The Empoli comeback is sort of a redemption for him. His quality is unquestionable. If he has found the habit of success again, I think this could be a great move for us.

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 19:58   #11
Burlesqoni
AC Milan Icon

Juve reject you say? Fucxk livfe, sell asap. Kill someone and sell the club and italshitlan.

Why fuck do we enve read forum and see milan if juve even can have and not want??!? Seson over next yr plz same shit thn again ofc...

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
LOL @ "a lot of people thought Liverpool overpaid for him, and that's a fact". Are you for real? Literally NOBODY thinks that.
Burlesqoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 16:27   #12
Mr Delicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
I can't wait to have him here and for us to revert back to playing good compact noughties Milan style football again.

A good regista is critical though and I hope he convinces us to sign Parades the same way Miha convinced us to splash cash on Romagnoli last season.

For younger members' benefit, Giampaolo was once touted to be one of the next great Italian coaches.. Sometime in the last decade. Capello picked him out as his heir and Juve were close to signing him.

Then he had a couple of high profile failures at Cagliari (not helped by Cellino and his style) and then at Brescia.. Where again the management used him when ultras got mad with them etc. Giampaolo does have a short fuse though.

The Empoli comeback is sort of a redemption for him. His quality is unquestionable. If he has found the habit of success again, I think this could be a great move for us.
I swear to god youre G in real life. Theres no other explanation
Mr Delicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 20:39   #13
AndreiX
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Not really

Time to resurrect this thread
AndreiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 20:56   #14
BrasilianMilan
Eternal Rossonero

Fav. Players: Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek

Thoughts on Giampaolo as our (potential) new manager?

Signature
BrasilianMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 22:06   #15
necromancer
Il Diamante

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Quote:

Damn I was such a Giampaolo lover 3 years back.

Signature
Old 14-06-2019, 00:23   #16
Qaas
Mystery Guy

Fav. Players: KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi

Quote:
Damn I was such a Giampaolo lover 3 years back.

If he becomes a success we will make you to lord of the rumour commode
Qaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 06:52   #17
necromancer
Il Diamante

No thank you. I would like to continue in my role as disruptor of the commode.

Signature
Old 18-06-2019, 06:07   #18
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Suarez, Tevez, Montolivo, Bonera, Abate, Abbiati, Kucka

How long until the team drops the forced, impractical 4-3-1-2?

It took 3.5 games in 2012/2013.
No more than a few preseason games in 2013/2014.
8 games in 2014-2015.

I think we'll hit a post-2012 record this time. Giampaolo has used 4-3-1-2, from start, in EVERY single game in charge of Sampdoria and Empoli, with zero exceptions. He might stick to this until he's fired, and that's probably not going to happen until at least a few months into the season.

The only hope is that he mimics Sarri once again.
Giampaolo wasn't this strongly associated with 4-3-1-2 until he replaced Sarri at Empoli, and copied him, which saved his career.
4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 were his thing at Catania.
It's Sarri who was the 4-3-1-2 guy, and he tried to bring that over to Napoli, but he quickly realized it was impractical and shifted to a 4-3-3 that was a more advanced form of Benitez' 4-2-3-1.

Hopefully Giampaolo is as pragmatical as the guy who saved his career.
And hopefully Maldini and co aren't stupid enough to put all the eggs in one shitty basket, 4-3-1-2 in this case. It would repeat the mistakes of 2013, 2015 and 2017 summer mercati.

Last edited by Goodfella; 18-06-2019 at 06:09.
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 10:09   #19
VooDooDoll
))<>((

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
How long until the team drops the forced, impractical 4-3-1-2?

It took 3.5 games in 2012/2013.
No more than a few preseason games in 2013/2014.
8 games in 2014-2015.

I think we'll hit a post-2012 record this time. Giampaolo has used 4-3-1-2, from start, in EVERY single game in charge of Sampdoria and Empoli, with zero exceptions. He might stick to this until he's fired, and that's probably not going to happen until at least a few months into the season.

The only hope is that he mimics Sarri once again.
Giampaolo wasn't this strongly associated with 4-3-1-2 until he replaced Sarri at Empoli, and copied him, which saved his career.
4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 were his thing at Catania.
It's Sarri who was the 4-3-1-2 guy, and he tried to bring that over to Napoli, but he quickly realized it was impractical and shifted to a 4-3-3 that was a more advanced form of Benitez' 4-2-3-1.

Hopefully Giampaolo is as pragmatical as the guy who saved his career.
And hopefully Maldini and co aren't stupid enough to put all the eggs in one shitty basket, 4-3-1-2 in this case. It would repeat the mistakes of 2013, 2015 and 2017 summer mercati.
you have proper players and proper team organization or not. nothing impractical in formation just by name.
we have very practical 433 right?

Signature

Gaetano F. Intrieri: Savic as far as I know is done. They are dealing with Rashford and Godin as well as Rabiot for June.
VooDooDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 15:07   #20
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: Suarez, Tevez, Montolivo, Bonera, Abate, Abbiati, Kucka

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDoll View Post
you have proper players and proper team organization or not. nothing impractical in formation just by name.
we have very practical 433 right?
"Forced, impractical" as in it wasn't decided based on what he had available or results.
There are few cases in Top 4 leagues where 4312 is the best choice and they typically involve rare players like Pirlo, Ibra and Suarez.
If you have already decided to go with 4312 before even being appointed, then, well.....

and looking at his results, defensive record and admittedly strong tactical effort he put in at Sampdoria with the players he had available, I can't say 4312 looked optimal for all 3 of those rosters.

Signature
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote