Milan Legend
Reaction score
No problem, we have suso
0dadcda2750cac0a0ebeafed10129a74.jpg

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Maybe:

Piatek Cutrone
Hakan
Kessie Bakayoko Suso
Laxalt Romagnoli Zapata Abate
Reina

Wasn't Suso tried in that role in training? Plus it can go to 442 fairly easily.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Douglas Costa has been one of their most off and on underperforming players. Why are we getting so stressed about him?

For Ajax, they will be hoping to recover Cristiano, and pair him up with Bernardeschi and Mandzukic.

Which means for Milan, they will probably rest Mandzukic and maybe also Bernardeschi, and go with Kean, Dybala and perhaps one of Douglas Costa or Cuadrado, depending on what formation they choose.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
For us, let's please stop with the experimentation now that Paqueta is out and go back to the 4-3-3.

Hakan wide left forward. Just as he was performing well, we moved him to the midfield and made him ineffective. Suso wide right forward, yes he will get 99% of the balls wrong, but there's some chance somewhere for him to score from there.

This penalizes Cutrone who was probably our best player against Udinese, but unfortunately without Paqueta behind them, a 2-striker formation has no meaning.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
inb4 541

full defensive and hoping we can counter with a cross to Piatek

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Just play our B team, dont risk injuries.... I am kidding, play our best and give them hard time... Meh, kidding again

agsgualdino

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Lets stick to the 4-3-1-2.

Put Hakan in the hole and have a midfield 3 of Baka - Biglia - Kessie (if fit)

If not fit then 4-3-3 with Hakan in the midfield 3 and Samu - Piatek - Suso front 3

Absolute shame about paq :thumbsdown:

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
With the gulf in class between the two teams getting even a point here is almost doing the impossible. Take into account the loss of one of our only decent players in Paqueta and we might as well play the youth team.

Anything we get from this game will be a bonus. We are just lucky all teams below us are trying their best not to get CL football as well.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Might as well go all out then 3232 attaccare all guns blazing if Juve are that much better than us.

Reina
Abate Romagnoli RR
Biglia Kessie
Suso Hakan Samu
Cutrone Piatek

Note Biglia-Kessie double pivot which will improve their relationship much like putting Cutrone and Piatek upfront together did for theirs.

We can lose a boring, calculated match, or surprise them in a slugfest. Worse case scenario we lose spectacularly but at least we go down fighting.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think we'll go back to a 433 with Suso on the right and Cutrone on the left. Only question is will Kessie be back or will we play Biglia again...

Berlusconi

Milan Legend
Reaction score
For us, let's please stop with the experimentation now that Paqueta is out and go back to the 4-3-3.

Hakan wide left forward. Just as he was performing well, we moved him to the midfield and made him ineffective. Suso wide right forward, yes he will get 99% of the balls wrong, but there's some chance somewhere for him to score from there.

This penalizes Cutrone who was probably our best player against Udinese, but unfortunately without Paqueta behind them, a 2-striker formation has no meaning.

Paqueta didn’t play behind the strikers for 75mins last game...

If we’re going to play 2 up top, then Suso has to play behind the strikers. Normally this wouldn’t be his most effective role to say the least, but he hasn’t done jack shit on the right either. So all in all, he might not do shit just like he hasn’t the last 5 months no matter where you play him

Mr. Tea

Ac Milan Icon
Reaction score
I think we'll go back to a 433 with Suso on the right and Cutrone on the left. Only question is will Kessie be back or will we play Biglia again...

My bet is we go out with 3 up top with who you said with suso floating to a more central role. Also I can see Baka playing cdm instead of biglia

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
My bet is we go out with 3 up top with who you said with suso floating to a more central role. Also I can see Baka playing cdm instead of biglia

It depends on Kessie, doesn’t it? If he’s back then it’s Baka in the middle and Hakan on the left.

I don’t see any other option other than Cutrone on the left. He played too good to be replaced by Borini and we need Casti on the bench in case Suso needs to come off.

Rodriguez back at LB and Calabria RB. Grintics as usual.

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
With the gulf in class between the two teams getting even a point here is almost doing the impossible. Take into account the loss of one of our only decent players in Paqueta and we might as well play the youth team.

Anything we get from this game will be a bonus. We are just lucky all teams below us are trying their best not to get CL football as well.

Genoa beat them a couple of weeks ago. Not impossible to get a draw

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If we’re going to play 2 up top, then Suso has to play behind the strikers. Normally this wouldn’t be his most effective role to say the least, but he hasn’t done jack shit on the right either. So all in all, he might not do shit just like he hasn’t the last 5 months no matter where you play him

You either have no idea how a 4-3-1-2 works, or you don't know how to evaluate players. Or both.

Let me guess, you àlso wanted Cassano as trequartista behind Ibra and Pato back in the day?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Maybe:

Piatek Cutrone
Hakan
Kessie Bakayoko Suso
Laxalt Romagnoli Zapata Abate
Reina

Wasn't Suso tried in that role in training? Plus it can go to 442 fairly easily.

:lol::lol:

Mr. Tea

Ac Milan Icon
Reaction score
You either have no idea how a 4-3-1-2 works, or you don't know how to evaluate players. Or both.

Let me guess, you àlso wanted Cassano as trequartista behind Ibra and Pato back in the day?

How does a 4-3-1-2 work and how do you evaluate players??

Asking for a friend.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score

Asking for a friend.

The easy answer is that 4312 works by not playing Suso in that formation :D

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
It's remarkable how it isn't obvious to many (including Montella) that Suso's solitary skill at high level football is that one move he has. He's exceptional at it, but everything else - tactical intelligence, off-the-ball running, pressing, work rate, quality of passing - is mediocre.

If Suso is not played in the right wing position from where he can cut in and cross or shoot, he's completely pointless.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stick to our strengths, play the Hakan-Piatek-Suso frontline. We are losing the benefits of Calhanoglu's immense running coverage and dirty work by putting him in the midfield. RicRod-Romagnoli-Musa-Calabria backline - slow but solid.

Only open question is who the left midfielder would be. Maybe try Baka there, since that position alongside Biglia would be in a deeper position for most of the match anyway. Kessie to roam ahead.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Asking for a friend.

There are many ways to make it work.
Box-to-box midfielders have pulled it off(Monto Euro2012, Vidal, Seedorf), versatile attackers(KPB, Coutinho, Delle Ali, Di Maria, Kaka).

What they all had in common was workrate. And it failed the minute they lost it(Seedorf & Kaka later years).

The attackers were all versatile, and had impressive athleticism. They weren't in the way of a switch to 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1.

The 4-3-1-2(or 4-1-3-2) with a mezz'ala all involved Pirlo, whose passing range allowed it to work.

Trequartista might be synonymous with playmaker and "creaty", but in a 4-3-1-2 they are more of the engine of the team.
If you put a lazy or aged player there, then you get the lethargic mess that occurred every time Allegri was pressured into putting Seedorf there. That's why he would rather even have Urby there, when "creaty" players like Cassano and Robinho were available.

That same man who wanted a declined Seedorf or Dinho behind the strikers now wants Suso there.

Suso does not have the workrate, versatility or athleticism to pull it off.
Even Borini is a better option.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I actually expect Borini to get the 80th minute+ equalizer.

There are many ways to make it work.
Box-to-box midfielders have pulled it off(Monto Euro2012, Vidal, Seedorf), versatile attackers(KPB, Coutinho, Delle Ali, Di Maria, Kaka).

What they all had in common was workrate. And it failed the minute they lost it(Seedorf & Kaka later years).

The attackers were all versatile, and had impressive athleticism. They weren't in the way of a switch to 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-3-1.

The 4-3-1-2(or 4-1-3-2) with a mezz'ala all involved Pirlo, whose passing range allowed it to work.

Trequartista might be synonymous with playmaker and "creaty", but in a 4-3-1-2 they are more of the engine of the team.
If you put a lazy or aged player there, then you get the lethargic mess that occurred every time Allegri was pressured into putting Seedorf there. That's why he would rather even have Urby there, when "creaty" players like Cassano and Robinho were available.

That same man who wanted a declined Seedorf or Dinho behind the strikers now wants Suso there.

Suso does not have the workrate, versatility or athleticism to pull it off.
Even Borini is a better option.

Good post.

Except for the one guy I know who played the trequartista role exceptionally well without having any work-rate. Manuel Rui Costa. But the man was insanely gifted and was just as silky as it gets on the ball.

Totti had to move to positions further forward as football became more work rate oriented, so I'm not bringing him up as a counter example. Rui Costa I think would have still done well even in today's football in the trequartista role.

Baggio is another possibility (of a low work rate insanely skilled guy doing well in the trequartista role in 2019), but I think he would have been moved to a wider role these days.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Do we want Biglia to play?

Why would him over Bakayoko in DM add anything?

Quan

Primavera
Reaction score
Baka should play DM form now until the end of the season. Gattuso destroyed him when he pushed him to CM.

No about this game we should play our usual defence and midfield baka as CDM, Kessie to his right and hakan to his left. Attack sould be Cutrone Piatek Suso/Samu.

This is the best we can do and I hope some miracle happen that day and we somehow grab 3 points.

I would ask any coach to be creative but I don't think Gattuso is up for the task.

Forza Milan.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I actually expect Borini to get the 80th minute+ equalizer.

Good post.

Except for the one guy I know who played the trequartista role exceptionally well without having any work-rate. Manuel Rui Costa. But the man was insanely gifted and was just as silky as it gets on the ball.

Totti had to move to positions further forward as football became more work rate oriented, so I'm not bringing him up as a counter example. Rui Costa I think would have still done well even in today's football in the trequartista role.

Baggio is another possibility (of a low work rate insanely skilled guy doing well in the trequartista role in 2019), but I think he would have been moved to a wider role these days.

I was thinking of bringing up those two special cases, but opted not to at the end.

Totti didn't really pull off 4-3-1-2 trequartista. I think he would've been able to do a decent job, early in his career, although not an ideal role for him, but they didn't use it afaik.
It was a 4-2-3-1 with Spalletti and 3-4-1-2 under Capello. It's the absence of wide attacking players that makes a 4312 trequartista so hard to pull off for playmakers. Totti had wingers, wing-forwards and wingbacks provide the athleticism, workrate, width and passing options that allowed him to do what he does best.
A declined Seedorf also had it a lot easier as trequartista in Leo's 4-2-3-1.

As for Rui Costa, I think you're underrating his workrate.
He may not have been the explosive type of CAM or tough-tackling energetic B2B mid, but neither was Monto in the Euros. Rui actually covered a lot of ground and had the awareness and versatility to pull off any midfield role. He was in many ways the anti-Suso.

Even then I preferred him in Christmas tree.

Last edited:

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Stick to our strengths, play the Hakan-Piatek-Suso frontline. We are losing the benefits of Calhanoglu's immense running coverage and dirty work by putting him in the midfield. RicRod-Romagnoli-Musa-Calabria backline - slow but solid.

Only open question is who the left midfielder would be. Maybe try Baka there, since that position alongside Biglia would be in a deeper position for most of the match anyway. Kessie to roam ahead.

We were getting close to our best formation/squad before everyone panicked and we switched:

Hakan-Piatek-Samu
Paqueta-Bakayoko-Kessie
RR-Romagnoli-Musacchio-Calabria

When everyone is back healthy, that should be the formation for the remainder of the season, IMO.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
What should we do when Moise Kean scores?