Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I would like to believe this too, but I really doubt this is what we are planning, unless the 3 leading stars(B&G&A) aren't cooperating. 3 CMs is the core to Allegri's main ideas. The only thing suggesting that Berlu may force 4-2-3-1 on him is his love for the trequartista, but this is very unlikely since 3 CMs and 2 CFs seem to be just as vital for him. Not to mention, we have way too many CMs to only use 2 of them at the time and more seem to be incoming(Kucka), despite not having managed to get rid of any of the already redundant ones.

Galliani on the other hand doesn't seem to mind it and it might even be his preferred system, presumed by the interviews he gave early last season when a desperate Allegri was trying out all sorts of formations. It could be that he's trying to force 4-2-3-1 on Allegri with the Honda+Ilicic signings, while presenting it to Berlu as 4-3-1-2 with Honda as one of the CMs and Ljajic as the CAM, but actually being 4-2-3-1 with Honda as the CAM and Ljajic as a winger. CAMs in that system tend to not stay too far away from midfield anyway, especially the ones not completely unfamiliar with the CM role, such as Honda..
Wouldn't be the most bizarre thing to happen in Berlu's Milan...

You know. On could say out 433 was more of a 451 last year so I think allegri would adapt if he got workrate from 3 attacking like

El shaarawy will do it. What bout rest?

Astafjevs

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Don't like this return to 4-3-1-2. 4-3-3 worked fine during the second half of last year. I feel we're going backwards by returning to a formation that became easier for other teams to stop.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it was the first time yesterday that I saw De Jong systematically dropping very deep in between the CBs to take the ball. Maybe Allegri has been training and we'll see it this season.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think it was the first time yesterday that I saw De Jong systematically dropping very deep in between the CBs to take the ball. Maybe Allegri has been training and we'll see it this season.

Happened in the Valencia match too iirc (Could have been the City match - one of them)..

Fiero

Reaction score
Regarding the Goodfella and Necromancer debate, here's a quote from Allegri that seems to settle this for now. :)

‏@ACMilanOZ (that's our member Acerbic Wit, credit to him for translating the whole Allegri interview in Gazzetta).
Allegri: "I prefer a backline consisting of four players with three in the midfield."

Pretty much confirming what Goodfella was saying. Though you never know once the season starts and during the season.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

I seem to remember something similar on several occasions over the season, it's a pretty common trick.

I think it depends on how many strikers the other team use. Build up play is completely different when playing against 2 strikers than against 1 striker and 2 wingers. Against 1 striker you have a spare man so you have a CB who can take the ball forward; against two strikers the full backs need to be carry the ball forward or the DM has to drop back like De Jong does to get the full backs in more advanced positions.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Regarding the Goodfella and Necromancer debate, here's a quote from Allegri that seems to settle this for now. :)

‏@ACMilanOZ (that's our member Acerbic Wit, credit to him for translating the whole Allegri interview in Gazzetta).
Allegri: "I prefer a backline consisting of four players with three in the midfield."

Pretty much confirming what Goodfella was saying. Though you never know once the season starts and during the season.

Also

Allegri: "Milan will play with three strikers or two strikers and a trequartista."

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Does it end the question though, when he followed that up with "Milan will have 4 attackers. 3 forwards and 1 midfielder who makes inserting runs."

For all you know, he might play Honda in the midfield in that role. (Although this is less likely, I concede).

Also, he's leaving it open at this stage because we still don't know which of our targets we'll actually end up getting in the market. If it's only Honda, we will go 4-3-1-2, if only Ljajic, 4-3-3. If both Honda and Ljajic? I dont know.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Does it end the question though, when he followed that up with "Milan will have 4 attackers. 3 forwards and 1 midfielder who makes inserting runs."

For all you know, he might play Honda in the midfield in that role. (Although this is less likely, I concede).

Also, he's leaving it open at this stage because we still don't know which of our targets we'll actually end up getting in the market. If it's only Honda, we will go 4-3-1-2, if only Ljajic, 4-3-3. If both Honda and Ljajic? I dont know.

Allegri likes to use a midfielder for inserting runs. Probably that player will be Boateng or Nocerino, though Poli might be able to adapt in that position as well

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Tidalwave

Shredder
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka' #22, Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Sheva, Ibra, Balotelli, De Rossi, Montolivo.
different rules, will be almost impossible to do these days

can you explain the difference? just curious how it works hehe

CanUNoTouch

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are far too many to name past & present

THe high pressing that Milan did back then worked because anyone could be offside if they were ahead of the last defender/s. Now the 1st or 2nd offside in the clip, Schuster was in a offside position but he was coming back and wasnt actually interfering with the ball and the runner from deep got the ball which is nowdays onside. Back then, if you was in a offside position on the right wing and the ball was on the left win, you was offside. Or if you are ahead of the last line of defenders before the ball has been kicked (which is the general offside rule anyway)

Now you can play in a offside position just aslong as you are not altering/going to the direction of the ball or impleading the defending player in any way to get to the ball and then once one of the advanced runners who come from the onside position as soon as they touch the ball, you are now active in the play.

The only thing that has me baffled is the offiside rule is when somethnig like Dortmunds winning goals vs Malaga happens, because even tho there was defenders on the line the position of the keeper made it offside. In that goal itself, their was already an offside from the freekick

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
The only thing that has me baffled is the offiside rule is when somethnig like Dortmunds winning goals vs Malaga happens, because even tho there was defenders on the line the position of the keeper made it offside. In that goal itself, their was already an offside from the freekick

What do you mean by baffled? It was an easy situation. Referees just slipped 2 decisions in favour of Dortmund.

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score

because back then as a defense if you were able to keep a player in an offside position the flag would go up no matter if the player was a different part of the pitch or didnt have any relation to the actual play.

the difference is best exemplified in the move that starts at 0:45 in the above video.
the white player that receives the ball is clearly on side, but because other teammates of him are off side the play is stopped.

That off side would not be called this days.

CanUNoTouch

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There are far too many to name past & present
What do you mean by baffled? It was an easy situation. Referees just slipped 2 decisions in favour of Dortmund.

iL227enniFrPx.gif

This, I didnt know this was offside.

Because of shit like this

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
iL227enniFrPx.gif

This, I didnt know this was offside.

Because of shit like this

I'm getting a feeling you are unaware that the offside rule is about 2 opposing team players ,,,

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
cryuff ran more than any number 10 i have seen :eek: damn thats football

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
ac milan stactics!

Ross O. Neri

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, T.Silva, Hauge
As of now (week 1 of the season), our preferred formation is 4-3-3 with El Shaarawy on the left and Niang/Boateng on the right, it's what was used most of last season and most of this pre-season (despite declaration 4-3-1-2 would be the main choice).

However, I feel that a 4-3-2-1 could prove a more suitable option for the following reasons: the aforementioned wingers are all hard working two-way players with the midfield often appearing as a bank of 5 when defending. In the Verona match, the 3 midfielders were flanked by El Shaarawy and Niang whereas I feel that in a 4-3-2-1 El Shaarawy and Niang/Boateng could defend a more central area while the mezz'ali could shift laterally and defend the wings.

Now given this propensity for the forwards to drop on defence, it can open up a realm of possibility for Milan to develop a counter-attacking streak, they have the necessary cover in midfield (Montolivo and De Jong are no slouches defensively), and if our now wingers are more central on defence, it means that once the ball is won the 3 forwards can burst through the middle of the field on a fast break. It is more efficient than a 433 counter started on the wing as there is less distance to cover while also providing more passing options. Thus El Shaarawy wouldn't have to beat an opponent for pace on left wing isle only to look up and see Balotelli heavily marked in the box because the opponent had that little extra time to regroup.

While it may not be the 'entertaining' style of play some may want to associate with Milan, it could prove pivotal in potentially converting frustrating draws/losses (where Milan currently have some trouble breaking tight lower table defences) into scrappy wins.

Is this an overreaction on account of one loss? Possibly. Will Milan implement said strategy? I don't know, but it is something I wouldn't mind seeing and a strategy I feel Milan have the personnel to use effectively.

Last edited:

milanazkals

Basketball player
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Van Bommel, Donnarumma, Alaba, Grealish
Unless our wingers can effectively make a cross we're limiting the advantage of a 4-3-3. Not all the times our wingers can go in the center. If our wingers are being respected because of their ability to cross, then the box will be less compacted which will result in our advantage. Fullbacks will have less responsibility to set a play and concentrate more in overlapping and defense which is their more primary duty. We need our CMs to help more in ball possesion to not overexert our strikers on tracking back down to the box. It's tiring and it's hindering their role to counterattack.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As of now (week 1 of the season), our preferred formation is 4-3-3 with El Shaarawy on the left and Niang/Boateng on the right, it's what was used most of last season and most of this pre-season (despite declaration 4-3-1-2 would be the main choice).
However, I feel that a 4-3-2-1 could prove a more suitable option for the following reasons: the aforementioned wingers are all hard working two-way players with the midfield often appearing as a bank of 5 when defending. In the Verona match, the 3 midfielders were flanked by El Shaarawy and Niang whereas I feel that in a 4-3-2-1 El Shaarawy and Niang/Boateng could defend a more central area while the mezz'ali could shift laterally and defend the wings.
Now given this propensity for the forwards to drop on defence, it can open up a realm of possibility for Milan to develop a counter-attacking streak, they have the necessary cover in midfield (Montolivo and De Jong are no slouches defensively), and if our now wingers are more central on defence, it means that once the ball is won the 3 forwards can burst through the middle of the field on a fast break. It is more efficient than a 433 counter started on the wing as there is less distance to cover while also providing more passing options. Thus El Shaarawy wouldn't have to beat an opponent for pace on left wing isle only to look up and see Balotelli heavily marked in the box because the opponent had that little extra time to regroup.
While it may not be the 'entertaining' style of play some may want to associate with Milan, it could prove pivotal in potentially converting frustrating draws/losses (where Milan currently have some trouble breaking tight lower table defences) into scrappy wins.

Is this an overreaction on account of one loss? Possibly. Will Milan implement said strategy? I don't know, but it is something I wouldn't mind seeing and a strategy I feel Milan have the personnel to use effectively.

I dont think Milan have the players to execute a counter-attacking strategy properly. You need players who can defend off-the-ball very well to contain the other team before starting counters. We are terrible at that. We can't seem to figure out spaces where opponents may run into, or defend high balls to begin with.

Look at it this way. With opponents having 40% possession, they still figure out ways to slip by our DMs and defenders rather easily. You are proposing a strategy by which we give them 50%+ possession... With this Milan side, I'd never do that.

We are built to play possession football. We just need to get better at it. 4-3-2-1 is probably my favourite formation if you've excellent fullbacks, but it has to be a possession-based gameplan with that formation.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score

There are many problems with the 4-3-3 with Monto as midfield holder plus our frontal attack (SeS, Balo, Niang) do not combine/mesh at all. I am just going to say that yesterday we lacked cohesiveness and aggression though that it has been an Allegri style (only the aggression part).

Ross O. Neri

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, T.Silva, Hauge
I dont think Milan have the players to execute a counter-attacking strategy properly. You need players who can defend off-the-ball very well to contain the other team before starting counters. We are terrible at that. We can't seem to figure out spaces where opponents may run into, or defend high balls to begin with.

Look at it this way. With opponents having 40% possession, they still figure out ways to slip by our DMs and defenders rather easily. You are proposing a strategy by which we give them 50%+ possession... With this Milan side, I'd never do that.

We are built to play possession football. We just need to get better at it. 4-3-2-1 is probably my favourite formation if you've excellent fullbacks, but it has to be a possession-based gameplan with that formation.

While I can see the point you are making, the suggestion wasn't so much a complete overhaul of playing style to purely counter-attacking, but rather an ability to draw on the technique in games where the onus is entirely on Milan to make the play.

I think given the emphasis Allegri places on collective defence, the team would be able to relinquish some possession to the opposition to instead soak up some pressure such that when an attack does begin its more 'disordered' making it harder for the opposition to defend than the methodical build-up Milan is accustomed to whereby their defensive structure is well established.

Perhaps this is more of a hope of mine that the players develop a plan B rather than a sustainable new tactic, in either case, thank you for your contribution.

Last edited: