African Football

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
RIP.

Is he the one that led them in the U-17 World Cup?

Rex

Reaction score
madtherchot said:
Well, I'm from Zambia ... and anything involving them certainly has my interest :D

I'm curious about your home-ground. Where is Serengeti ? :D :)

-------------------------

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
*rossonera* said:
someone we know scouts feinduno when she's not scouting benzema/arfa, i think he's from guinea?
To be honest, only Guinean player I know is Balde (used to play for Ceptic). But most of them play Ligue 1, which is why they gel well together. Haven't seen them in a while though, so I could be wrong about them. Feinduno? Lost me there ... kindly elaborate?

i think some of the teams bandied as favorites have been rather poor recently [granted, the teams coached by germans are the only ones whose results i follow], we could easily see a surprise winner + my hunch is mali. so you could be right about group b.
Yep, Mali have a good team + have been reaping the benefits of a good youth setup for sometime now. If not this generation, the one after should achieve more. However, I was kinda leaning towards Group C :tongue: :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
MilanoMike said:
RIP.

Is he the one that led them in the U-17 World Cup?
I think so. I'll look it up later, but he should be the one.
Rex said:
I'm curious about your home-ground. Where is Serengeti ? :D :)

-------------------------
That's in Tanzania ... we are mostly Savannah as well, but have a few mountain ranges and valleys to go with it. But home is the Independence Stadium, which is under renovation + should be complete sometime this year. Great memories :proud:

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Nesta, Maldini, Zambrotta, Kaka and zidane.
watch out for the Morrocan team, they can be a big surprise !

milanissimo

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`
I was watching the groups and it seems that the group D is the strongest, but still i`m not sure `cause i don`t now the real strength of the teams..

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Can we get a poll added asap?

My money's on Ghana!

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
While Chelsea battling it out with Manure was everyone's cup of tea, I preferred being a traditionalist and watched the African Champions League clash between South African Platinum Stars, and the dominating force in African Club football, Al Ahly. Finishing 2-1, it was a thoroughly interesting encounter. If African football is to develop, then its clubs will need a strong fan base. Which the European, most particularly the EPL, are enjoying more of than their local counterparts. I mean, for example, the cover of a national newspaper last week saw a former president adorn an Arsenal jersey + book up a whole bar to have him and his friends watch Arsenal and Manure. At the same time, an African Champions League match was going ... as well a local league derby.

This is why I'm thinking about boycotting watching EPL matches - we don't get much Serie A here ;) - and try to convince as many as I can that local football can be just as entertaining, if not more.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, Nesta, Gerrard and Ronaldinho
While Chelsea battling it out with Manure was everyone's cup of tea, I preferred being a traditionalist and watched the African Champions League clash between South African Platinum Stars, and the dominating force in African Club football, Al Ahly. Finishing 2-1, it was a thoroughly interesting encounter. If African football is to develop, then its clubs will need a strong fan base. Which the European, most particularly the EPL, are enjoying more of than their local counterparts. I mean, for example, the cover of a national newspaper last week saw a former president adorn an Arsenal jersey + book up a whole bar to have him and his friends watch Arsenal and Manure. At the same time, an African Champions League match was going ... as well a local league derby.
I used to watch African football and i really liked Asec when the likes of Toure and co were playing, since i moved to Europe i totally forgot about the tournament and i dont even know the teams who have the last 6-7 years :D

This is why I'm thinking about boycotting watching EPL matches - we don't get much Serie A here ;) - and try to convince as many as I can that local football can be just as entertaining, if not more.
Good luck for that! you really need it :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Matmil04 said:
I used to watch African football and i really liked Asec when the likes of Toure and co were playing, since i moved to Europe i totally forgot about the tournament and i dont even know the teams who have the last 6-7 years :D
Well, the ascendancy has returned to the North with Al Ahly in the fore front. Their current squad is pretty impressive, with Egyptian and Angolan internationals who started for their respective countries in the African Cup of Nations in January. Which makes Platinum Stars' victory all the more impressive.

The biggest problem is being able to watch these games from Europe. There aren't any streams despite the developed networking facilities in South Africa. Main reason would have to be a lack of coverage, by South African Sports Channels, of these matches, preferring European ones instead.

Hopefully, the Egyptian success, which has mainly been based on home-sourced talent, organization and coaching, should be a sign that perhaps Africa can compete on a similar stage if the right philosophies are employed.

Matmil04 said:
Good luck for that! you really need it :D
One step at a time :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
CAN 2010 groups ...

GRUPA A
Angola
Mali
Malawi
Algeria

GRUPA B
Coasta de Fildeş
Burkina Faso
Ghana
Togo

GRUPA C
Egipt
Nigeria
Mozambic
Benin

GRUPA D
Camerun
Gabon
Zambia
Tunisia

We are fucked again :head:

Farouk

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Nesta, Pirlo, Pato, Borriello.
I love Nigeria! They're my favorite team in Africa after Egypt of course. I love the country, the people, the green colors, the players, everything! I always hope that we play them in the final, and seeing that the last two tournaments had a group stage fixture as a final (Egypt vs. Ivory Coast in 2006, and Egypt vs. Cameroon in 2008) then hopefully we'll play Nigeria in the final 2010!

I'm sorry mad, but I think Zambia might even finish last. :tongue: I'm hoping Mali could pull themselves together and proceed along with Angola. If Algeria don't get knocked out from the group stages, then I hope we meet them later on and beat the living shit out of them :devilfuc:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Can any of the Africans tell me anything about Paul Obiefule of Nigeria and Lyn Oslo? What like of player is he? Any good?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Can any of the Africans tell me anything about Paul Obiefule of Nigeria and Lyn Oslo? What like of player is he? Any good?

he's fast, strong athletic with no brain or tactical sense, and probably lies about his age

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
No idea Calum. Why the interest? Is he linked with a team you support?

Best bet is asking someone from Norway, perhaps a Lyn Oslo fan/forum. The coverage of African football here is pretty bad, and streams on the net are of horrible quality. For example, even though I watched their last qualifying game vs Kenya, I couldn't tell you whether he played or not :rolleyes:

Lot of new players in the Nigerian NT ...

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No idea Calum. Why the interest? Is he linked with a team you support?

Best bet is asking someone from Norway, perhaps a Lyn Oslo fan/forum. The coverage of African football here is pretty bad, and streams on the net are of horrible quality. For example, even though I watched their last qualifying game vs Kenya, I couldn't tell you whether he played or not :rolleyes:

Lot of new players in the Nigerian NT ...

He's supposedly in talks with Aberdeen.

One of those new players is Sone Aluko of Aberdeen. Ridiculously exciting player on his day, but no consistency and no real end product. And he keeps fucking off to play in all these silly wee African tournaments.:tongue:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
If you're referring to the CECAFA Cup, the most prestigious of them all, then you're sadly mistaken. Its so prestigious, I still don't know the results of this year's edition. Such is the legend of the competition that only whispers are mentioned of it ... however, I was able to find this breaking news ...

On a more serious note, have to agree that its about time they addressed the strenuous schedule African Internationals go through. Apparently, they're working on making the African Cup a one in four years thing, during the summer, along with the Euros. Could hurt its ratings with the Euros being held just a few weeks away ... but everyone knows European football is better anyway.

So ... Aberdeen turning to the Nigerians? Do you have other African players in your squad? I for one think Nigeria is a bit overrated ( :eek: ... hope Nigerians don't get offended) as are their outrageous celebrations (back flips galore).

EDIT: Though I wouldn't mind if Mikel, Obasi or Martins change citizenship :D

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score

Big investment coming in from RSA for the Zambian Premier League. Mainly, matches will now be broadcasted by Super Sport of RSA ... depending on regions, I guess. Still unsure of the details, but this is a good step in the right direction.

We lost to Chile 3-0 last week. Pretty poor performance; but we still have a very young team, so the future is bright.

BTW ... the President of FAZ is my favorite football player of all time ;)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Dubai Milanista ...

So, you're saying Egypt is a counter attacking side ... which couldn't be more wrong. Just because they defend well doesn't mean they are a defensive side. This team's two main formations were a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-1-2/4-4-2. They always played with two strikers up front, and always committed their wingbacks as well as midfielders.

Cameroon were a great side. They have a lot of talent. But, the problem is, they don't work as well together as a team. Similar thing can be said of Serbia ... huge names, yet failed to deliver because the end product was less than the sum of its parts.

If African teams are to move forward, they have to adopt the policies and models that Ghana and Egypt have put up. CIV and Mali have already got very good youth programs, but the continuous music chairs with coaches is what is not getting the best out of them.

Their teams lack identity and character, which is what Egypt and Ghana have. The same goes for Cameroon, who despite being loaded with talent, barely function as a good unit. That is not so much down to the player's lack of intelligence. If it was, then why was Jose Mourinho showering praise for Eto'o. It is down to a poor management which has its root causes up in the administration of their respective football federations ...

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Dubai Milanista ...

So, you're saying Egypt is a counter attacking side ... which couldn't be more wrong. Just because they defend well doesn't mean they are a defensive side. This team's two main formations were a 3-5-2 and a 4-3-1-2/4-4-2. They always played with two strikers up front, and always committed their wingbacks as well as midfielders.

Cameroon were a great side. They have a lot of talent. But, the problem is, they don't work as well together as a team. Similar thing can be said of Serbia ... huge names, yet failed to deliver because the end product was less than the sum of its parts.

If African teams are to move forward, they have to adopt the policies and models that Ghana and Egypt have put up. CIV and Mali have already got very good youth programs, but the continuous music chairs with coaches is what is not getting the best out of them.

Their teams lack identity and character, which is what Egypt and Ghana have. The same goes for Cameroon, who despite being loaded with talent, barely function as a good unit. That is not so much down to the player's lack of intelligence. If it was, then why was Jose Mourinho showering praise for Eto'o. It is down to a poor management which has its root causes up in the administration of their respective football federations ...

the 3-5-2 used during CAN2008 was a counter attacking system and it worked really well, dude I know EGYPTIANS who know that this egyptian side is good on the counter attack, not saying they ALWAYS rely on the counter attack, but its one of their main strengths.

when egypt play teams like zambia(no offence) benin, togo, algeria, teams who are not going to attack you and try to play a balanced game it is certain that egypt would change their tactics.

totally agree with what you said on cameroon and ivory coast, but on the intelligence of the players, look I said most players arent tactically intelligent, samuel eto'o drogba, essien are all world class players, so intelligence is a must, its just that players like yobo,taiwo,eboue,yakubu for example, all of them are good players, but lack intelligence.

Most african players(these days) lack intelligence, they have the skills,grit,work rate but lack the tactical intelligence IMO. maybe the word "most" is too much, but a lot do suffer from that, thats why most african teams suffer from being disorganised IMO(coaches are responsible as well)

What do you think of the Morrocan national team? imo they have the best talent between the north africans, but the players are just horrible for morroco + the unstability from the managment is beyond stupid.

They failed to qualify for the CAN2012?

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Ok ... but Egypt is not a counter attacking side. Against Algeria, the pretty much attacked throughout all three games, but got sucked into the "mind games" which the Algerians used brilliantly ... although I'm not a fan of that shit.

Against Zambia, they again attacked throughout both games ... and even in CAN 2010, they mostly attacked - against Cameroon, for example, after going a goal down. So, if they're good at counter attacking, doesn't mean they are a counter attacking side. They are a balanced unit, organized and disciplined. That is their main strength.

As for the players, the coach is responsible. Unless of course its the player making ridiculous errors, in which case, why is the coach playing him? Eboue may look dumb to you, but I'd like to see Dinho make the runs/movement he does off the ball. In any case, its the coach's duty to give the instructions ... to teach the player of their role in their side ... what dangers he may face, what errors not to make, etc. IMO, it all comes down to these NTs not having long-term coaches who would instill good systems ... since these very players seem to know what to do at club level.

Morocco traditionally are the most skillful African team. Do you remember Mustapha Hadji? What a player ... you know, I would actually agree that nowadays Africa isn't producing as many brilliant players ... quality creators like Hadgi, Pele, Kalusha ... now its more bruisers like Drogba, Essien, Eto'o ... but thats more in line to how football has evolved during our lifetime. More pace, energy, stamina, strength over pure technical ability and visionary passing, like Pirlo :D So you can't put if down to Africans only ... and their lack of intelligence.

As for CAN 2012, qualifications haven't started yet. Here are the groups:

Mali
Cape Vert
Zimbabwe
Liberia
Nigeria
Guinea
Ethiopia
Madagascar
Zambia
Mozambique
Libya
Comores
Algeria
Morocco
Tanzania
Central Africa
Cameroon
Senegal
Rd congo
Mauritius
Burkina Faso
Gambia
Namibia
Mauritania
Egypt
South Africa
Sierra Leone
Niger
Cote d’Ivoire
Benin
Rwanda
Burundi
Ghana
Congo
Sudan
Swaziland
Angola
Uganda
Kenya
Guinea-Bissau
Tunisia
Malawi
Chad
Botswana

Zambia should make it :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Zambia just lost to Libya 1-0. Had their top two most influential players dropped for disciplinary reasons. Anyway, played well, hit the upright, but succumbed to a nice volley by their #10. Ref was shit ... we got a ton of yellows + I may be biased, but he was leaning towards Libya.

Anyway, 1 point behind after 2 games isn't so bad. Wasn't as easy as I expected, but I'm a little pleased Bonetti's in charge. Hopefully he'll make us one good unit.

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Matches Took Place On 9 and 10 October

Group A
Mali 2-1 Liberia
Zimbabwe 0-0 Cape Verde

Group B
Madagascar 0-1 Ethiopia
Guinea 1-0 Nigeria

Group C
Libya 1-0 Zambia