Manuel Rui Costa Thread

Reaction score
I think he could be as good as he used to be if he got more games to play. A player who is on the bench most of the time loses confidence, match ritme, ...
If Kaka wasn't there, he still would have his place and play well, I'm sure.

GeronimoFinch

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Savicevic, van Basten, Rijkaard, Seedorf, Gattuso
Long before Kaka came on the scene Rui just wasn't doing the things an attacking midfielder needs to do, i.e. score goals.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
The last time Rui Costa truly dominated club football during the course of a season was his last in Firenze. At Milan we have seen glimpses and 2-3 game streaks of class action from him, but nothing over a sustained period of time. That is truly unfortunate. I say just enjoy him while he is still here, because his end is near.

ARNOLD RIMMER

Second Technician
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, DeSciglio
Unfortunately another poor performance from Rui last night against Man U, it just seems to me that he does not try very hard to play well, its as if he knows he is on his way out of the club, its a shame really for a player with as much talent as him.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
Well, to be fair, and sadly enough, he is actually trying (That I do know about Rui Costa). Its just eh reaches down for that explosiveness he used to possess and it is no longer there. His strongest assest ever was his beautiful field of vision and even that seems to be deteriorating at this juncture. Like I said previously, every now and again, you will see some really deft action out of him and it is quite a joy to see him leading odd-man attack up the pitch and then meticulously distribute the ball. The days are not completely lost, but they are endangered. :rolleyes: :head:

Reaction score
I don't think he was that bad in the two games against Man U. I didn't saw the entire games (summaries of 20-25 minutes) but certainly on OT he was not worse than the other midfielders, on the contrary. I'm getting a little tired of all that criticism against him. Why aren't the other members (with "favorite player Rui Costa" behind their name) reacting ? Am I the only one who's willing to defend him ?
If Kaka doesn't play well (which often happens this season), it's always "he's still young, he needs a rest, he still has to grow", blablabla, for Rui "he's finished".
Btw his ratings in Italian newspapers for last night game were 6 - 6,5 - the same as the other midfielders. On acmilan.com they even say 'outstanding performance", I admit that's not true, he was not extraordinary, he just did his job.
It's not fair to count someone only for the goals he scores (or doesn't).

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
First off, I certainly never make excuses for anyone.

Second, Rui has been our most expensive signing by far + was supposed to pull all the strings in midfield, so of course people tend to scrutinize his performance more than ..say.. Brocchi's.

I don't know about Rui's performance last night apart from the match summary + I didn't watch the replay this afternoon so can't + won't judge on this particular match.

Apparently, after we had wasted the scudetto in 2002/03, he was identified as a bit of a liability (he truly was with his 10 or so assists + zero goals), therefore Kaka's transfer was sped up + since the Brazilian made an immediate impact + delivered exactly what Rui had failed to produce, goals + a speedier build-up, Rui consequently had to acquaint himself with the bench.

This season he has been called up a few times, also to support off-form Kaka', but he rarely impressed IMO. Velocity is not exactly our midfield's most striking feature + all he does is add another dimension of slowness to it. It's a fact, unfortunately. OK, credit for being able to keep the ball when we play that lame type of uninspired possession-oriented football, but that's not his role, his role is to create + inspire + support our strikers !

Taking into account his age + what appears to be a continuous decline of form you don't need to be Einstein to figure his career is nearing its end, at least at Milan.

Last edited:

milan_rockz

=7uckyst4r=
Reaction score
Fav. Players
*kaka* nesta* maldini* pirlo*
Official: Manuel Rui Costa Thread

Official: Manuel Rui Costa Thread
- Seamus -

isn't it 29th of march is rui costa's b dae??? anyway juz wanna say happy b'dae to him. wiz him aLL da bez...

Last edited by a moderator:

17-und-4

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva - Gila - Kaka - Rui Costa
Yeah it is.

:star: :star: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANUEL RUI COSTA!!! :star: :star:

mad4milan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I reckon that he'll remember this birthday for a while. A forced emergency landing at Malpensa airport is one hell of a bday gift...

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Happy b-day Rui! .. anyway what happaned to his private plane ?

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
besikaka said:
Happy b-day Rui! .. anyway what happaned to his private plane ?
Problems with the undercarriage, but they landed safely on a foam carpet, don't worry. Only Malpensa Airport had to be closed for an hour ;)

A birthday to remember, indeed :D

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Passion for *9* said:
Problems with the undercarriage, but they landed safely on a foam carpet, don't worry. Only Malpensa Airport had to be closed for an hour ;)

A birthday to remember, indeed :D

me to worry :) come on .. I do have many things to worry .. but for Rui Costa .. nop hehe ..

I though just Sheva has private plane .. owned from Berlusca.. it seems all Milan players have.. what a luxury :D

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
besikaka said:
I though just Sheva has private plane .. owned from Berlusca.. it seems all Milan players have.. what a luxury :D
Makes me think his paycut hasn't been significant enough :tongue: ;)

milan_fan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, pirlo, gilardino, pippo, dida, sheva
yeah, he still gets a little over 4 million $$. absolutely "Enough" for a private plane ;))

Roksana

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pirlo, C.Ronaldo, F.Totti, Del Piero, Nesta, Heinze, Roy Keane...etc
happy birthday, Rui Costa :)

ads216

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Rui Costa involved in emergency landing at Milan

ROME (AP) - A private jet carrying Portuguese soccer star Manuel Rui Costa and his family made an emergency landing at Milan's Malpensa airport Tuesday after its landing gear malfunctioned, officials said.

Airport officials said there were no injuries among the 11 people on board the jet, which was arriving from Sharm el Sheik, Egypt. Rui Costa, who plays for AC Milan, was celebrating his 33rd birthday. "It was a real shock. I didn't think as much about myself as my family. I was really worried about them," Rui Costa said at his club's training center in Milanello, just outside Milan, later Tuesday.

Airport spokeswoman Carla Fusati said the wheels of the jet had locked en route to Italy and couldn't open. Firefighters prepared the runway with anti-incendiary foam so the plane could land on its undercarriage, she said. Air traffic was halted for about an hour so the plane could make its landing.
Eight of the people on board were passengers and three were crew members, Fusati said.

Dil dil

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan players espacially Maldini-Inzaghi
Happy birthday rui costa . hope you acheive all your aims
as player as well as person

Hassan

Winning II
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Storari, Abate, Thiago Silva, Flamini, Pato, Zarate, Messi, Kaka', and Ronaldo!
Happy Birthday Rui.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
An Ode For Rui Costa

Hey guys I just happened to come to terms with the great service that Rui Costa is doin' to Milan. He doesn't get enough first-team football, which has something to do with his age, but that doesn't change anything when he goes to Portugal : he's still a star. And one of the biggest there. Yet, he's been plying his trade with Milan, after so unjustifiably sold off from Fiorentina, and I feel he's done a fairly good job when called upon. After all, he's done quite job, hasn't he, what with he being expected to replace Kaka?

But if u have confronting views and feel he doesn't deserve his place, then i'd be glad if u let me know it. I'd also be equally glad to get positive feedback on his game. So guys, please keep posting!

Il Re dell' Est

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Rui Costa
Yeah I agree, It hurts me to see him on the bench all the time. But when he plays he always does a good job.
I hope he stays for another couple of years

Forza Rui

milanist

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Il Re dell' Est said:
Yeah I agree, It hurts me to see him on the bench all the time. But when he plays he always does a good job.
I hope he stays for another couple of years

Forza Rui
I agree, he really is a maestro.

marconico

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Rossonero player!!
Although Rui is not performing like when he was at Viola, he still a very good player...
Milan need him as back up for Kaka or Pirlo....
Hope he will stay for another few season...

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
milanist said:
I agree, he really is a maestro.
He WAS.

---

Other than getting a half-decent job done when the requirement of the minute is to slow things down + maintain possession in midfield (without creating much ) I really don't see much service .. let alone the great service .. he's been doing. His failure to deliver (among other things) has cost us the championship in 2003 + we rushed for Kaka' to add sth our game started to miss: acceleration + pace. With teams more adapted to Kaka' + capable of effectively neutralizing him we seem back at square one in this regard. I don't mind Rui 'serving' as a bencher, since he doesn't seem to be the type with a huge sense of entitlement regarding playing time, + fielding him when we need to contain opponents by keeping control of midfield. Generally, our objective however should be to outperform + outplay the opponent + not outbore them.

That said, other players would serve us better.

Oh, + I haven't even mentioned his age yet….

tmilan

Marius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Chiricheș
Dil dil said:
Happy birthday rui costa . hope you acheive all your aims
as player as well as person

He was the best player at the TIM Trophy. :)

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
Hope he keeps that TIM trophy form!!

NeSTa_86

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
|*NeSTa*| |*Rui CoSTa*| |*Gilardino*|
Happy birthday dude you are the best midfield in the world.I believe in you