Spanish La Liga Thread (BBVA)

Who will win La Liga and which two teams will complete the top 4?

• Total voters

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Pepe is a boss, would be a huge upgrade over our defenders

I know i said 'pepe' but i was really talkin abt ramos.

Edit: pepe is a dick too... so no to him also.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
EU opens finance probe into Spanish aid to soccer

The European Union announced a probe Wednesday targeting Real Madrid, Barcelona and five other top Spanish soccer clubs that it says may have received possible illegal state aid.

The EU also said it might widen its investigation to include soccer teams' outstanding tax debts to the Spanish government, which total in the hundreds of millions.

EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said clubs should use sound financial management rather than live "at the expense of the taxpayer."

The objections the EU was looking into centered on how Spanish clubs and local authorities handled fiscal issues such as loan guarantees, land swaps or construction funding.

The EU ombudsman's services said a complainant in the case said the state aid totals several billion euros, adding that the Commissioner had been considering the issue for years before announcing Wednesday's opening of proceedings.

More importantly, Almunia also said he might look beyond the specific case raised Wednesday.

"I have also read about the questions on the high debts of the (soccer) football clubs to the economics ministry," Almunia said.

In April, Spain's Sports Council said Spanish soccer clubs owed the government 670 million euros ($874 million) in taxes.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/1...into-top-la-liga-clubs-including-real-madrid/

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score

My 2 cents:

I doubt they will find anything culpable.

The spanish clubs in question will claim that they are far more than just football clubs, but cultural and historical hubs along with being a necessary part of society (more than a club is a very handy slogan) and hence deserve all the tax exemptions (both real and barca are registered as NGOs and get massive tax exemptions is what one of my madrid friends told me :lol:).

The high debt in the case of madrid and barca is obviously to avoid taxes. Nothing wrong with that practice though. Thats a regulatory loophole issue rather than a fraud issue.

Dunno much about land swaps.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Atleti vs Barca next Saturday. Similar situation to Juve vs Roma in Italy.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Only juve can play their primavera and still assure being on top whereas the point gap between those two is 0 if barca win tonight..l

AsparagusFC

#hungry
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alan Shearer, Jon Dahl Tomasson
Beñat Etxebarria, what a beast..

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
A.Madrid vs Barca tomorrow, hoping for a cracking game with Athletico winning it!

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Both on the bench. Tata probably not risking them since they both recovering from injury.

daamn. looking forward to this match.

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
The Vicente Calderón sadly looks like our European graveyard.

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
athletico's pressing game :eek:

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
yehh i do not feel comfortable getting Ateltico Madrid in CL...

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
diego costa is so lively in this match

Sir Crookodile

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, K.Honda, Mugen, PRINCE, Ibra, Balotelli, Niang
tbh not impressed by Atletico. They play at home, they don't face Messi and Neymar.

I give them points for effort but still, and yes, Diego Costa has looked very sharp.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They started off well but got pummeled in the final 20 mins. I never watch la liga don't know anything about Costa but he does look good. Time to switch to a proper league now lazio game is on

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
Atletico has organized itself really well and their wing play is superb.

But both teams have played a conservative respectful game.

This is looking good,

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Atletico has organized itself really well and their wing play is superb.

But both teams have played a conservative respectful game.

This is looking good,

Yep, Very composed and organized. They press well too. Anyone who thought Milan would have it easy against them is in for a rude awakening.

Schedule