Week 2: Milan - Brescia 31/08/19 18:00 CET

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
The 433/4321 we'll probably be playing won't be the same as the Gattuso days. The same movements will be expected from the midfielders that we saw in preseason, and the construction will still happen suddenly and mostly through quick short passing to free up a runner. Gattuso built up his game patiently and slowly, always working the ball up out wide through combinations between Suso/Calabria/Kessie or Rodriguez/Hakan/Paqueta.

This season we (should) play to set a pressing trap and attack suddenly when there's an opportunity, which is different than aiming to work the ball up to Suso in his favorite position and hoping for the best. Another big difference is obviously the compression of space, with the high line and the narrowness. This means less long crossfield passes which have a higher tendency of being misplaced.

Anyway my point is the numbers are the same, 433, but it's a very different gameplan. Or at least it should be and hopefully we'll see that in a few weeks time.

I posted this in the commode but it seems more relevant in the game thread:

This seems like the direction we're heading in for the next game based on Giampaolo's comments about Suso and Piatek especially. The idea is generally the same as before, trying to distract markers into making mistakes by over-committing to a press.

Against a 4312 like Brescia the strategy would be to bait a press against our free fullbacks, freeing up Paqueta and Kessie. So for example a pass to Calabria where he gets pressed by the player who's supposed to mark Kessie, then a pass to Bennacer to Kessie would start our forward transition.

Also since we're up against another narrow formation it would actually make sense for the front three to go wide and try for overlaps. Having a plan B like the 433 is an added weapon against teams that defend narrow. It's also great against teams that attack wide, since you make sure you're not overloaded wide yourself, so against Inter a 433 would be the best option if we expect to play more reserved.

My point is that it's not good to think of a formation as a set decision that we follow all season regardless of opposition or player form. Having options up front by playing two up front with a trequartista behind, or a Xmas tree, or a typical trident like Gattuso, these are all different tools to use against specific threats or opportunities. The only thing that's set in stone are the flat back four, Bennacer in front of them and two mezzalas either side. The front three should really depend on each game scenario.

Edit: Looking at the formation again I think Conti would work really well here, considering our fullbacks are free. Theo would absolutely dominate so it's a shame he's injured, but Conti would have a lot of fun on the right with Suso and Kessie distracting the players that will have to keep an eye on Conti bursting through. Calabria just doesn't have the same carefree sense of attacking intent.

Also, when defending the plan will be to block off the passing options to Tonali, and a 4321 is perfect for this considering there isn't anyone specifically marking him. If the front three stay focused and block any passing option to him then Brescia will be forced out wide where we can force them into errors. If Tonali plays well it will be because he manages to drop behind Piatek between the centerbacks, pull him out and play around him. I don't think he has the maturity or the experience to do this consistently at the San Siro, so i'm pretty confident we can shut him out of the game.

Swap paqueta and hakan. Hakan getting too close to the goal for my liking

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Rosario Abisso will officiate Milan-Brescia on Saturday

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Yes of course the 4-3-3 of Giampaolo will be tactically very different from a conventional 4-3-3 (and from Gattuso’s 4-3-3 which wasn’t conventional either). However I still expect the shape to resemble the Christmas tree more than flat lines of attackers upfront.

Yes, I'm certain that on paper it will be more Christmas tree but we know Suso is going to drift at least a little wide so how it ends up looking on the pitch might be half way between the two, or some asymmetrical front line with Suso's role some mish-mash of TQ, SS and winger.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think there's much we can do about Donnarumma, they'll be trying to play long balls for him to chase all game which will always be a threat. Hope Gigio doesn't go crazy with his sweeper antics. Will be funny to hear the commentators if both Donnarumma's combine in a comedy error goal.

Yeah, the 2 will not play on the same line as Piatek and there's no doubt that he will be isolated. I think they're just giving up on that and hoping he can squeeze out a couple of chances even if he's suffocated as long as we can get the ball into the box, which rarely happened in Udine.

Donnarumma passes to Donnarumma and Donnarumma scores. Donnarumma in the bench can't believe what just happened.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
OK guys, will which option do you think is most likely?

1 - No shots on goal
2 - 1 shot on goal
3 - 2-5 shots on goal
4 - 5-10 shots on goal

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
OK guys, will which option do you think is most likely?

1 - No shots on goal
2 - 1 shot on goal
3 - 2-5 shots on goal
4 - 5-10 shots on goal
5-10 shots?

We have piatek not messi.

This is pure madness!

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Stick with the 4312

Donnarumma

Calabria - Musacchio - Romagnoli - RR

Kessie - Bennacer - Calhanoglu

Paqueta

Leao - Piatek

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

Last edited:

ForzaACM

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka Zidane R9 Robben Nesta Henry Suarez Messi Maldini Rivaldo Iniesta Dinho Sheva Pippo
If we lose Gianmpaolo should be fired immediately.
Dollar
Calabria/Duarte/Roma/RR
Bennacer
Kessie Paqueta
Suso
Leao/Pistolero

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
Probable lineups for Milan-Brescia [Gazzetta dello Sport]

EDNATsKXUAA_Zrr

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
I like that team. Only change I'd make is replace Suso with Hakan.

Mr. Tea

Ac Milan Icon
Reaction score
No doubts for tomorrow with bonaventura ready to go.

Asterix

Primavera
Reaction score
4-3-2-1 hmm...

Desperate times, desperate measures.

Well am still happy our loss this year is just 80m.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Sky has a different, horrible line-up: Sky: Donnarumma; Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessie, Bennacer, Calhanoglu: Suso, Castillejo; Piatek

At least both have Borini out and a proper director. I would definitely rather either Paqueta or Jack instead of Samu, he's just terrible and the worst fit in this side.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Hakan, Suso, Jack.. I'll take two of those. Just please keep Samu away from the team.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Sky has a different, horrible line-up: Sky: Donnarumma; Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessie, Bennacer, Calhanoglu: Suso, Castillejo; Piatek

At least both have Borini out and a proper director. I would definitely rather either Paqueta or Jack instead of Samu, he's just terrible and the worst fit in this side.

Dear mother of God this cant be true

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

This is likely going to be the XI. Giampaolo tried both Hakan and Bonaventura in the supporting role over the week during training, but wasn't happy with what he saw. (In Bona's case, it might still be a fitness thing). So it's back to Samu.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
This is likely going to be the XI. Giampaolo tried both Hakan and Bonaventura in the supporting role over the week during training, but wasn't happy with what he saw. (In Bona's case, it might still be a fitness thing). So it's back to Samu.

I think you might be right. But if GP does persist with Samu, whose performance last week that was truly unacceptable, and he doesn't perform again then he is setting himself up for extreme criticism. Especially if we don't win.

The same would go for persisting with Hakan as director or Borini in midfield.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Definitely not much consensus on what the line up will be tomorrow. That should at least make things hard for Brescia and give an advantage.