Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What a lackluster card...I left it on the TV while I was doing water change for my fish tank, eventually turned it off because it was so boring to me.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
What a lackluster card...I left it on the TV while I was doing water change for my fish tank, eventually turned it off because it was so boring to me.

January is a really shitty month as far as UFC events go.

Benson vs Thomson up next in a 5 rounder, might be worth the watch. Im rather curios how will Benson recover from his title loss.

Sergio Pettis ( the brother of the current champion) will fight in the prelims also. He is currently 10 - 0 - 0 , only one of them being in the UFC. His one to watch for the future.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
January is a really shitty month as far as UFC events go.

Benson vs Thomson up next in a 5 rounder, might be worth the watch. Im rather curios how will Benson recover from his title loss.

Sergio Pettis ( the brother of the current champion) will fight in the prelims also. He is currently 10 - 0 - 0 , only one of them being in the UFC. His one to watch for the future.

Bendo vs. Thompson will be another snoozer IMO. Two wrestlers who are not really known for their finishing. I like Bendo as a fighter but he is so boring to watch. His "power kicks" get caught almost every single time now. Overall, his game relies on grinding people down.

Don't really like Sergio Pettis or most of the fighters under 145. They are simply too light and the fight is mostly about speed and angles and you rarely see any one finish the fight unless its submission. There are some great fighters in those divsions, but overall, they aren't too interesting to me.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Bendo vs. Thompson will be another snoozer IMO. Two wrestlers who are not really known for their finishing. I like Bendo as a fighter but he is so boring to watch. His "power kicks" get caught almost every single time now. Overall, his game relies on grinding people down.

Don't really like Sergio Pettis or most of the fighters under 145. They are simply too light and the fight is mostly about speed and angles and you rarely see any one finish the fight unless its submission. There are some great fighters in those divsions, but overall, they aren't too interesting to me.

Maybe Bendo's latest training camp put things into perspective for him, that he needs to diversify his arsenal.

I do tend to agree with under 145, i mean i only like two people from that category : Faber & Cruz.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
On another note, GSP is being such a little bitch. I'm not pro-Dana White and realize that he has his flaws. But GSP is handling this very wrong. Should have just said he wanted to retire on a high note instead coming out with all this "against UFC testing policy" crap.

Sounds like he wants to make accusations but doesn't want to say it iin public.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
On another note, GSP is being such a little bitch. I'm not pro-Dana White and realize that he has his flaws. But GSP is handling this very wrong. Should have just said he wanted to retire on a high note instead coming out with all this "against UFC testing policy" crap.

Sounds like he wants to make accusations but doesn't want to say it iin public.

Speaking off:

BeEJmigCAAAZXPs.jpg

Guess now we know why Romero was in such a hurry to finish the fight :lol:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
How the fuck did Bendo win 49-46??:fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp:

Josh was better then him ffs with a broken thumb in all rounds except the third, this judges :thumbsdown:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
How the fuck did Bendo win 49-46??:fp::fp::fp::fp::fp::fp:

Josh was better then him ffs with a broken thumb in all rounds except the third, this judges :thumbsdown:

Benson won 48-47 on my card. Josh got him in a couple of bad positions but was not able to do ANYTHING with it. Definitely not a 49-46 but I would have guessed it was Benson by split decision. Another lackluster card, I hope next weekend delivers.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Faber owned again, can we finally write him off now? The guy is not good enough to fight for titles, at either division. Kind of like Frankie Edgar now.

Good performance by Barao and Aldo, those Nova Uniao boys don't play.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
Now it looks like we get to see Pettis vs Aldo, I see Aldo taking that fight. Also WTF was Overeem doing calling out Lesnar?

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Faber owned again, can we finally write him off now? The guy is not good enough to fight for titles, at either division. Kind of like Frankie Edgar now.

Good performance by Barao and Aldo, those Nova Uniao boys don't play.

lol, you write off a guy who only lost title fights ever since 2003????????

I don't like his fights, but he is a high level fighter, no question about it

overeem is scared of cigano, couldn't be more simple, he wants to fight with a guy he already won and is far from his best, maybe even more than when they fought

overeem is a heavyweight who can't knockdown his opponentes neither have a great cardio

if bagautinov and overeem exchanged their sizes, it would be great for both

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
lol, you write off a guy who only lost title fights ever since 2003????????

I don't like his fights, but he is a high level fighter, no question about it

overeem is scared of cigano, couldn't be more simple, he wants to fight with a guy he already won and is far from his best, maybe even more than when they fought

overeem is a heavyweight who can't knockdown his opponentes neither have a great cardio

if bagautinov and overeem exchanged their sizes, it would be great for both

In terms of title shots, yeah. I think Faber is a level below the best fighters in both 135 and 145. Even Cruz I feel is better even though I hate his fighting style. He's still a high level fighter, but I see him becoming that guy you have to beat to get the title shot.

Overeem's problem is heart actually. I just don't think that guy has the heart like the HW elite right now. I remember when Overeem was in Pride his fights were always exciting and he would come out strong against many fighters but eventually fade away and gets beaten up (Chuck, Shogun X2, Lil Nog, Werdum, Kharitonov). Dude went on a tear for awhile and won the Strikeforce belt, DREAM Hw belt, K-1 World Grand Prix and beat Brock Lesnar. He's semi-accomplished in the MMA, kickboxing, and grappling world now so Overeem has even less motivation and drive and that's showing in his matches.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I wouldn't fire him...

yeah, he's been on a bad track, but it was a seriously hard track, I don't see anderson silva having such hard challenges ever since he began at the ufc

and it's always better to see a heavyweight contest than a shitweight match-up that ends up with 500 strikes thrown, no bruises and decided by judges

put frank mir to fight against brendan schaub, soa palelei... whatever, I don't remember him fighting one fight that was more boring than an urijah faber fight and if lesnar comes back, mir is definitelly the best opponent for him, it would be legendary

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Mir is only 34, and he's been given guys like Cormier and Overeem. Against guys like Roy Nelson and Big Nog is where his future should be, he will continue to get dominated against the contenders in the HW division. Still wouldn't be surprised if he is cut though.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
i also prefer heavy weight fights, but mir's been losing too much... 4th in a row now?

and he's been dominated in all of them.

if fitch got cut, then mir should be too.

funny thing with Mir is that he talks so much before every fight, just to get spanked when it's fight time.

now i don't really care what happens in the end, just my opinion.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
UFC lhw thiago silva just charged into his Bjj school and threatened his coach Pablo Papovitch about possible fidelities with his ( thiago silvas ) wife. He them barricaded himself inside his home while the SWAT team was outside.

Latest update: he is apprehended now, maybe fucked big time because there was armed stand off with police.

His wife is Thaysa is a black belt under Pablo Popovitch in his Florida school

Silva is currently charged with
Aggravated batter with a deadly weapon
resisting office-obstuct without violence
Two counts of commit/attempt specified felony could cause death.

Currently held without a bond

Last edited:

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just read the police report on Silva, and I don't find it that hard to believe, dude has always seemed like a crazy motherfucker.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Dana White released a statement, he's cut and never fighting in UFC again, as suspected

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
:lol::lol: what a fucking idiot :lol: and people complain about Balotelli's personal life :D

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
More on this:

According to a recent article from FOX Sports, former UFC light heavyweight fighter Thiago Silva now has an immigration detainer, meaning he could be deported to Brazil if found guilty of felony charges, according to Silva’s lawyer, Scott Saul:
Saul, a criminal defense lawyer, said he was going to enlist the help of an immigration attorney to fight the hold. Saul said Silva is a legal resident of the United States and he isn’t sure why he could be facing deportation.
“It’s a solvable issue,” Saul told FOX Sports on Monday.
The detainer might not stick, but its presence is not allowing Saul to immediately fight Broward County judge John Hurley’s decision to hold Silva without bail. Hurley ruled that since Silva is a Brazilian national, that he is a flight risk.
Thiago Silva had his UFC contract terminated by the promotion last week following his arrest in Florida.

Thiago Silva’s wife finally broke her silence regarding the incident that happened last week in Oakland Park, Florida, that led to Thiago’s shocking arrest.
Thaysa Kamiji, who was married to Silva from 2004 to 2012 before the couple separated, recently did an Interview with Brazilian website UOL (via MMAFighting) where she stated that Silva’s recent cocaine use led to his violent behavior.
Her words:
“You know what I don’t understand? We had a healthy relationship, we always talked, each one respected the other’s space,” Kamiji said. “He became (violent) over the past three weeks. I think that’s the consequence of the use of cocaine.
“My marriage was over in December of 2012. In our relationship, I had to deal with the imbalance and aggressions. But I never went to talk to the police because I fear the reactions. Even after I was assaulted, I did not speak.”
Pablo Popovitch is adamant that he never had a relationship with Kamiji until she ended her marriage with Silva. According to Kamiji, she decided to leave Silva because of his drug use, and she was afraid to report the abuse she had suffered:
“That’s what ended the marriage,” she said. “The problem was cocaine. He always thinks he’s above the law. My neighbor knew that she should call the police if she ever heard me scream. He had the cocaine paranoia. He came to my house, tore my clothes and pointed a gun at my head. I already suffered some abuse, but I always withdrew because I was afraid.”
It’s worth noting that Thiago Silva never tested positive for cocaine use in any of his 12-career UFC bouts. The Zuffa-owned fight promotion terminated Thiago’s contract following his arrest last week.

Thiago Silva appeared in front of a Broward County (Fla.) judge on Friday morning, where he had two charges against him reduced.

Silva, however, will remain jailed without bond after Judge John Hurley determined the UFC light heavyweight remains a “legitimate concern” to his wife and others around him based on what “looks like ongoing domestic violence in the relationship.”

Hurley also cited the potential for Silva to be a flight risk to his native Brazil as a reason to not apply bond to the four charges against him, despite initially planning to set the combined bond at $2,500,100.

Silva had two counts of felony attempted murder reduced to aggravated assault with a firearm after Hurley ruled there was no probable cause on the attempted murder charges.

Those counts stemmed from a Thursday night altercation at Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy in Oakland Park, Fla., where Silva’s estranged wife trains. There, police allege, Silva threatened his wife, Thaysa, with a gun, and told her that if Popovitch didn’t come out of the school, he would go inside and begin shooting. After Popovitch emerged, then went inside to call police, Silva fled to his home, where a four-hour standoff with a S.W.A.T. team ensued before he surrendered nonviolently, police said.

According to arrest and police documents read aloud by Hurley during Friday’s court proceedings, Silva and his wife separated in 2012. But on Jan. 30 of this year, the judge read, Thaysa Silva called 911 to report a domestic altercation. She told police that in an argument with Silva, he picked up a silver revolver, pushed her down, said he was going to kill her, put the gun in her mouth and held her down. Thaysa Silva obtained a temporary injunction against Thiago at that time, Hurley said.

On Wednesday, Thaysa again called 911 to report a separate incident with Thiago, and she gave police access to text messages he allegedly sent her that made claims he would hire someone to kill her and move his girlfriend into their home.

Things came to a head on Thursday, when, at 7:44 p.m. ET, police records state, Silva pulled up to Popovitch’s gym and began honking his horn continuously until Thaysa came outside. Thiago Silva, believed to be intoxicated, according to the police report read by Hurley, then pointed a gun at her. The police report states there were approximately 25 people inside the gym at the time of the incident.

After Popovitch came out and approached the driver’s side of Silva’s vehicle, Silva allegedly threatened him, as well, before he went inside, locked the door and called police.

Once officers arrived at Silva’s home, he came outside following the standoff – where the report says he was tasered. Officers reported he was “extremely intoxicated” and that he uttered he “did not know what was going on.”

Silva’s attorney, Scott Saul, argued with the court that the first two charges against his client of attempted murder were “classic aggravated assault,” and not attempted murder.

“He never got out of his car. He never fired a gun,” Saul argued in front of Hurley. “You’ve got two real rock-solid aggravated assault charges. What I think this is, is you’ve got a professional fighter and an (assumption) thinking he can kill, an overreaction based on what the man does for a living.”

Ultimately, Judge Hurley did say in court that Silva’s profession and size – arrest records show him as 6-foot-2, 220 pounds – played a factor in him believing that if he was set free on bond, his physical stature alone was a concern.

“The court is concerned this looks like ongoing domestic violence in the relationship,” Hurley said. “You’re an MMA fighter, and your size gives great concern, with or without a weapon, you could easily kill your wife. If you’re released from custody, the court is concerned you would approach your wife again and concerned you would bring great harm to her or kill her.”

The judge also cited a constitutional law in Silva’s native Brazil that prevents its citizens from facing extradition to the United States as reason to deny him bond as a potential flight risk. The prosecuting attorney argued that Silva “has no ties to the community and his family is in Brazil. Once he gets to Brazil, it’s over. They will not send him back to the United States.”

Frank Smith, appearing on behalf of Silva as his business attorney, said the fighter has an IRS garnishment placed on him right now and that Silva has no available money until his next scheduled fight. Silva is booked to face Ovince St. Preux at UFC 171 on March 15, and Smith said that the fighter could stand to make in the neighborhood of $140,000 if he won that fight, plus the potential for other bonuses on top of it.

“If he doesn’t fight in Dallas, he’s broke. He needs to be in this country and be in Dallas to go forward,” Smith said.

So far, the UFC’s only official statement on Silva came late Thursday: “This evening, we were made aware of a situation involving Thiago Silva. We are in the process of gathering the facts and have no further comment at this time.”

But on Friday morning, UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports that Silva would never fight for the promotion again.

No new court date has been set for Silva, who also faces a count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and a count of resisting arrest without violence. The court proceedings were streamed live by South Florida’s SunSentinel.

This guy is seriously fucked. When he first came to UFC, I thought he was promising and could be like Wanderlei, but seems like he pissed his life away. Shame

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
At one point he was my favorite fighter together with Lyoto Machida.

I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Anyone watching Fight Night? Every single fight a decision so far, this card MIGHT set a new record after 169.

edit: nvm. Overall, a very boring card so far.....

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone watching Fight Night? Every single fight a decision so far, this card MIGHT set a new record after 169.

edit: nvm. Overall, a very boring card so far.....

I only watched the main even, which was good. Its a shame Machida had one leg injured(broken apparently), but he was still so much faster then Mousasi.

Good fight overall and it could have ended in a finish in the last for Machida. Hope he heals up quickly, another fight and then the title shot for the Dragon :star::star::star:

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Boring ass card IMO, especially Carmont vs Souza and then the Eric Silva squash match.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I only watched the main even, which was good. Its a shame Machida had one leg injured(broken apparently), but he was still so much faster then Mousasi.

Good fight overall and it could have ended in a finish in the last for Machida. Hope he heals up quickly, another fight and then the title shot for the Dragon :star::star::star:

I knew Machida vs Mousasi was going to be boring. Mousasi has always fought like that, he didn't take much damage but I didn't think he could figure out Machida. I actually thought Mousasi had the advantage in the grappling department being the larger fighter (that sweep he hit right after they hit the ground was sweet).

Anyways, pretty bored wit UFC lately. Cards have mostly been sub par.

isjpmixBGOZ8I.gif

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Cards have been pretty dull, yes. Buy that's because there are so many of them, so I won't compain. It's up to the fighters to show more, but it feels like there's so much at stake all the time that the fighters won't loosen up.

I thought Machida vs Mousassi was gonna be a fight of the year candidate. How wrong I was lol.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I knew Machida vs Mousasi was going to be boring. Mousasi has always fought like that, he didn't take much damage but I didn't think he could figure out Machida. I actually thought Mousasi had the advantage in the grappling department being the larger fighter (that sweep he hit right after they hit the ground was sweet).

He didn't figure Machida out, he was always one step behind him and his lucky he has such a great chin, most guys would have been lights out from that head kick.

Mousasi himself says so:

"He was always a step ahead," Mousasi said at the post-fight press conference. "I just couldn’t get started."

Right after the fight was over, Mousasi knew he had lost the bout. One of the judges had it 50-45 in favor of the Brazilian, but he would have scored the bout a little closer.

"I don’t know about the scoring," he said. "Maybe I had one round, maybe two."

Mousasi earned the "Fight of the Night" bonus, but drops to 1-1 under the Zuffa banner. "The Dreamcatcher," who last fought in April of 2013, doesn’t blame ring rust in his loss.

"Rhythm always helps, but I felt good in the fight," said Mousasi, when asked if the time away from the cage played a big part in his loss. "I don’t think so."

Schedule