Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball)

Who will be the winner of Golden Ball this Year ?

• Kaka'

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • Andrea Pirlo

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Leo Messi

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Francesco Totti

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Ronaldinho

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Luca Toni

• Frank Ribery

• Riquelme

• Francesc Fabregas

• Gigi Buffon

• Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Didier Drogba

• Steven Gerard

• Genaro Gattuso

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Paul Scholes

• Ruud van Nistelrooy

• David Villa

• Paolo Maldini

• Deco

• Thierry Henry

• Diego

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Clarence Seedorf

• Miroslav Klose

• Total voters

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Let's not lie though. Pique went to man utd. Fabregas went to arsenal. Fergie and wenger are two of top handful of talent developers over the past 25 years and in both cases there influence shows. Particularly fabregas who came as more of a xavi clone and is now a muuch more advanced direct trequartista type. He went to arsenal same age messi went to barca so its only fair to credit wenger a bit for his transformation as much as it is to credit barca for his fundamental development.

A start contrast is barca yourg who showed great promise on youth level (or in some cases higher) and left early for poor situations. Giovani dos santos is prime example for me as he was very impressive at 17/18 then moved prematurely to bad situations and really hasn't reached where he could be. There are other examples who have been poached and just not developed. Fran merida, iago at jube. Even milan grabbed a kid over summer though he's only 18 (carmona)

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
and i think someone said something about the league being poor defensively? well if so, how can you honestly think messi wouldn't score all around him in italy? Messi and CR (for example) would score for fun. It's 2011. Superior defending in Italy is a thing of the past, the league is very weak.
As team defending...Serie A is much better than La Liga, and actually being able to apply the defensive tactics Serie A also beats La Liga (re watch Barcelona-Deportivo, Deportivo was supposly "defending" made some serious mistakes that you can't ever make if you're actually having 9 players in your own area).

And except for a few defenders in Barcelona and RM, they're not better than Serie A's...defenders in La Liga like to back away from the forward, leaving all the space in the world to him.

Both situations ended in goal, but just look at the difference (and I'm comparing a Brescia defender-team on relegation zone- vs a Valencia defender). Both goals happened same day.

Go to 1:08. And with few exceptions, this is the norm in defense if you see any of the +3 goals per game that RM and Barcelona score. Defenders just back away, leave a ridiculous amount of space. I know Xavi, Iniesta and the rest of Barca's midfield is great and they have amazing chemistry, but if you never pressure them, well no wonder why they have that ridiculous amount of non misplaced passes, and assists. And its not like they can't lose the ball, just watch Inter-Barcelona in Meazza, with Xavi getting dispossessed (which led to Inter goals).

And on top of that teams in La Liga like to use (why? I dunno) a high defensive line vs Barcelona, that's like the most amateurish tactical mistake ever to make against a team like Barcelona, basically bending over.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
^^waow so much knowledge being spoken
:star: :star: :star:

Quatre Barres

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Let's not lie though. Pique went to man utd. Fabregas went to arsenal. Fergie and wenger are two of top handful of talent developers over the past 25 years and in both cases there influence shows. Particularly fabregas who came as more of a xavi clone and is now a muuch more advanced direct trequartista type. He went to arsenal same age messi went to barca so its only fair to credit wenger a bit for his transformation as much as it is to credit barca for his fundamental development.

I never said their time in England hasn't been important. But Piqué is a central defender whose range of passing is very impressive. Fàbregas is the best passer of the ball in England. The influence of Barça is clear in both cases, these are not players made in England, far from it. That's not to say playing there hasn't helped them improve as players. Also Fàbregas was never really a "Xavi clone" in my opinion, he also moved to Arsenal at a later age than Messi to Barça. Three years older actually.

A start contrast is barca yourg who showed great promise on youth level (or in some cases higher) and left early for poor situations. Giovani dos santos is prime example for me as he was very impressive at 17/18 then moved prematurely to bad situations and really hasn't reached where he could be. There are other examples who have been poached and just not developed. Fran merida, iago at jube. Even milan grabbed a kid over summer though he's only 18 (carmona)

Giovani is an idiot. He was often compared to Ronaldinho but I never had that hope for him, he's a man who thinks more of himself than he should. He was a good young player, nothing more. He left after asking for a higher salary. The club refused of course as he had done little to earn anything more. His father is the cause of most problems with him and also with Jonathan. At first I had higher hopes for JDS but it seems once more, his father may kill his own son's career. I really hope this doesn't happen though.

It's difficult for many young players at a club like Barça. A 16 year old central midfielder now looks at the first team. He sees Xavi, Iniesta and maybe Fàbregas next summer. A defensive midfielder sees Busquets and then the signing of Mascherano. It's difficult for these players to have patience. Barça nearly lost Xavi to Milan this way. But Xavi should be an example to these young players. If they're good enough, they will get a chance, leaving to play first team football at a younger age is not always the solution.

As team defending...Serie A is much better than La Liga, and actually being able to apply the defensive tactics Serie A also beats La Liga (re watch Barcelona-Deportivo, Deportivo was supposly "defending" made some serious mistakes that you can't ever make if you're actually having 9 players in your own area).

And except for a few defenders in Barcelona and RM, they're not better than Serie A's...defenders in La Liga like to back away from the forward, leaving all the space in the world to him.

Both situations ended in goal, but just look at the difference (and I'm comparing a Brescia defender-team on relegation zone- vs a Valencia defender). Both goals happened same day.

Go to 1:08. And with few exceptions, this is the norm in defense if you see any of the +3 goals per game that RM and Barcelona score. Defenders just back away, leave a ridiculous amount of space. I know Xavi, Iniesta and the rest of Barca's midfield is great and they have amazing chemistry, but if you never pressure them, well no wonder why they have that ridiculous amount of non misplaced passes, and assists. And its not like they can't lose the ball, just watch Inter-Barcelona in Meazza, with Xavi getting dispossessed (which led to Inter goals).

And on top of that teams in La Liga like to use (why? I dunno) a high defensive line vs Barcelona, that's like the most amateurish tactical mistake ever to make against a team like Barcelona, basically bending over.

Showing me a few videos doesn't tell me anything (I don't mean offense, I know you are making an example). From what I see watching both leagues often is that the quality of defending in Italy is nothing compared to what it once was. You speak of high lines (for purpose of pressure on the defence and midfield of Barça) in España. If you're suggesting teams in Italy would sit back and invite pressure on themselves, it would be hopeless. Is simple, the defending is not good enough. Barça could score against every team in Italy. And then what? Do they continue to play everyone behind the ball and defend? Because coming out to play would expose a lot of the teams as being quite weak, they would be running into a sword. You must put pressure on the midfield of Barça. And as with many teams in España, it eventually fails. I don't see how Messi (or barça as a team) would score much less in Italy, the defending is not particulary impressive.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
milan's best attacking year when they played a lineups of pippo, sheva, kaka, pirlo, seedorf, serginho.. had subs like cafu, rui, a young gila only managed 85 goals, which is a serie A record....

(that was 2005/6)

Barca would win serie A. I don't doubt that. But they wouldn't score as much.... it'd resemble the spanish NT a lot more.... lots of posession, not as many goals. I truly believe that. Even with Messi. They wouldn't be less dominant, just different. Any team in bottom half of table would sit 10 back. Press with front 3-4, and 6 purely back....

It's just a difference in style

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
The problem is not the quality, its the other things.
Low- mid tier club is maybe better than what serie A have.

But serie A teams will not bend over that easily like c4m said, teams in italy will rather 0-1 result over 0-2, 0-2 over 0-3, and so on.

Which means they're will more consistent playing their negative tactic a whole game, not like "fuck it" mentality like in spain after bartha scores.

Yeah la liga teams quality might be better, but no way score 4-0,5-0 will happens in every week in serie A.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Ow let's play that game: Sneijder was lucky, showed no skill whatsoever and was surprised he scored the goals he scored.

Hahahahahaha. I stopped reading here. Lucky?... Is that you Wild?

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Xavi was noway near Messi last season. Brilliant player, not as decisive.

Really?
He seemed to be way more decisive than Messi in the World Cup. Maybe you were socializing with other trolls under their bridge during that time.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sneijder vital for Inter?

Really?

When Intermerda played Barcelona Sneijder scored a goal and layed another assist for Milito. How decisive was Messi in that match?... Actually, over the two legs how decisive was Messi?

How decisive was Messi when Germany hammered Argentina 4-0?

not more than Milito was, the whole defensive line was, Mourinho was. No player stood out in Inter nor Holland nor Spain. There was one player which did stand out, Messi
Hahaha, how is this helping your argument?

Sneijder and Milito definitely should've been in the final three of the Ballon D'or list. If this system was under the old system, which was abolished this season, Sneijder would've won the award in a landslide.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
except that Donovans two goals against Slovenia and Algeria came when Bradley changed his position to a forward in a 4-3-3.

false... v. algeria, gomez and jozy were uptop.

V slovenia he was in 4-3-3 when he scored (really a 4-2-3-1 w/ fielhaber at CAM then it was a 3-4-3 for bradley's goal)

Eitherway messi never played farther back than AM in 4-3-1-2 which is comprable role to wing in 4-3-3

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
No player had an impact like Messi. He was only involved in every Argentina goal (but 1)?
Messi had one assist for the entire World Cup in 2010.

If you dont understand that you didnt watch La Liga (oh u mean best league in the world atm , officially with the best players in the world, officially) and if u cant identify messi as a playmaker at the world cup, i pity you.

Clearly you are a Niff Nuff.
Best league in the world?... The league is overrated. What a joke. It's only a two horse race in Spain and it has been for quite some time which even hypes up teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid a great deal.

Barcelona couldn't even beat Hercules at home!

However, people even dare to compare them to the great Milan side of the late 80s and early 90s when they made 5 UCL finals out of 7? Ha!

C.Ronaldo and Messi, your two best players in the "best league in the world", as you say, totalled:

810 minutes, 2 assists, and 1 goal between them. (Ronaldo 1 goal, 1 assist, Messi 1 assist) - Goal C. Ronaldo scored was his first in 16 MONTHS at international level. However, scores frequently domestically. Mmm, says a lot about your league, hey?

Sneijder:

652 minutes, 1 assist, and 5 goals.

More decisive you say?

Last edited:

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
Btw apparently... Messi is 1st for player n coaches votes but 4th in journalist votes (sneijder 1st)

Yep the award merge fucked this awards lol

Messi's might deserve FIFpro POTY but as brightest inviduals but Sneijder should wins Ballon D'or.

But because new system its fucked the whole things.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
мιℓαηєℓℓσ;893184 said:
Sneijder and Milito definitely should've been in the final three of the Ballon D'or list. If this system was under the old system, which was abolished this season, Sneijder would've won the award in a landslide.

Nope. Not a landslide. Would have won in a narrow margin over Xavi. And that's a fair result.

Well, considering Sneijder hasnt scored a goal in 369 days as of today, I wouldnt actually give the Ballon D'Or to him.

But my podium would be Xavi, Sneijder, Messi.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nope. Not a landslide. Would have won in a narrow margin over Xavi. And that's a fair result.

I meant in relation to Messi.

Don't get me wrong, Messi is arguably the most gifted player in the world, however, he shouldn't have been the recipient of this years Ballon D'or.

Lvn369

Beginner
Reaction score
мιℓαηєℓℓσ;893197 said:
Messi had one assist for the entire World Cup in 2010.
hahaha u just made a fool out of yourself, don't cherish it. It might happen again ! Look at this boy pulling up stats. Did you just go by stats? u didnt see the matches ? lmao. He created almost all goals. If u cant accept or see this, nobody can help you.

Lvn369

Beginner
Reaction score
мιℓαηєℓℓσ;893197 said:
Clearly you are a Niff Nuff.
Best league in the world?... The league is overrated. What a joke. It's only a two horse race in Spain and it has been for quite some time which even hypes up teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid a great deal.

Barcelona couldn't even beat Hercules at home!

However, people even dare to compare them to the great Milan side of the late 80s and early 90s when they made 5 UCL finals out of 7? Ha!

C.Ronaldo and Messi, your two best players in the "best league in the world", as you say, totalled:

810 minutes, 2 assists, and 1 goal between them. (Ronaldo 1 goal, 1 assist, Messi 1 assist) - Goal C. Ronaldo scored was his first in 16 MONTHS at international level. However, scores frequently domestically. Mmm, says a lot about your league, hey?

Sneijder:

652 minutes, 1 assist, and 5 goals.

More decisive you say?

Officialy it is the best league now deal with it. Two horse race? Barca and Madrid would walk every league in the world and they are a step above. This doesnt mean the other teams are not playing at a competitive level. Aside these two teams, considering the rest is crap ..why are lower spanish teams winning things like uefa cups? Sevilla, Athletico...not to mention other european results.
Barca always need time to get running in the start of the season (lost points couple of years in a row now at the start/restart). Hercules could probably give AC Milan a run for their money (and i'm not pushing it or laughing, it just points to your ignorance). FCB struggled an hour against the top side of second devision Real Betis in which Betis had clear goal scoring opportunities, more than Real Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia had at the camp nou and they didnt even park the bus either. Ranking says nothing.

People comparing them to the old Milan sides which won alot? Trophys is alot but isnt everything. Thats why there are alot of great teams remembered which didnt win the lot. FCB is still working on it + they dont claim that, others do.

You might want to go study statistics where they will learn you you can proof anything with that while it means nothing really. But you might try this: the lack of playing with international team mates constantly, playing after an exhausting season with record amount of goals, the way teams want to totally stop that one star individual.

Reaction score
false... v. algeria, gomez and jozy were uptop.

V slovenia he was in 4-3-3 when he scored (really a 4-2-3-1 w/ fielhaber at CAM then it was a 3-4-3 for bradley's goal)

Eitherway messi never played farther back than AM in 4-3-1-2 which is comprable role to wing in 4-3-3
I really wasn't paying that much attention to USA throughout the tournament but I watched all of their games and I thought Donovan was deployed to left forward in a 4-3-3 formation, maybe you're right on that one. However, If you watched all Argentina's games you wouldn't say that Messi didn't play further back than AM. He didn't have much support and he had to drop back all game long to be involved and begin attacks. Also I think he was very, very unlucky not to score goals but fortunately that didn't effect the decision for the Fifa Ballon d'Ore because he was the best player last year, although I was hoping that Xavi would get it to get the recognition that he truly deserves.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Officialy it is the best league now deal with it. Two horse race? Barca and Madrid would walk every league in the world and they are a step above.

Delusional Niff Nuff.

Aside these two teams, considering the rest is crap ..why are lower spanish teams winning things like uefa cups?

Hahahaha because they can't aim for anything else!

Last edited:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
hahaha u just made a fool out of yourself, don't cherish it. It might happen again ! Look at this boy pulling up stats. Did you just go by stats? u didnt see the matches ? lmao. He created almost all goals. If u cant accept or see this, nobody can help you.

Perhaps you should watch all the matches again. You said he created every goal Argentina scored which clearly wasn't the case. Oh, and yes, his 1 assist was the one to Tevez when Tevez was about 2 metres offside.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
La Liga best league in the world? Jeez, there's a limit to delusion.

мιℓαηєℓℓσ;893388 said:
I meant in relation to Messi.

Don't get me wrong, Messi is arguably the most gifted player in the world, however, he shouldn't have been the recipient of this years Ballon D'or.

Got that. I agree.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
Who won?

Josip Ilicic?

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
Snubbed :(

But he did win forums most sLOVEd player-2010

Fucking fifa assholes... giving awards to overrated players. :o

And I bet he is grateful for all the sLOVEing we give him.

Last edited: