CL Round of 16: AC Milan (2) vs Manchester United (3) - 16/02/10

E

Esoteric

Big questions:
1) Will Clarence make it? Will he be in top form even if he's fit?
2) Will Bori make it?
3) Can't believe I'm saying this but ... will Antonini make it? If not, what about Zambro?
4) And mostly, will Silva make it?

If no ... then IMO:
1) Flamini should start in midfield
2) Hunter with one of his important matches to date
3) I'm leaning more towards Bonera, only because he's played more than Janku lately.
4) Janku gets LB, Bonera in the center.

As you can see, the difference is quite a lot, and we need all the players back if only to have more options. Milan Lab ... get to work!

No matter what, Flamini is better than Janku in LB, so if things go back to that, that's how it should be done. Anyway just hope things go alright for Sylva, so that he pairs with Nesta while Abate and Bonera go as fullbacks. I don't know about Seedorf, but he is always needed, he might lack defensive skills but he makes up for that by ball possession which means more control and less need to defend. If he's in form then that should be it. Plus, our forwards should help in defense, because we have been very shaky recently.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Perhaps. Its been a while since Flamini's played LB. When was it ... in 06 when Arsenal reached the UCL final? Anyway, there's no doubt Flamini's qualities could be an asset. Question is, is he in top condition? ... and I'm mostly talking of match sharpness, since he hasn't been playing a lot of late.

E

Esoteric

Perhaps. Its been a while since Flamini's played LB. When was it ... in 06 when Arsenal reached the UCL final? Anyway, there's no doubt Flamini's qualities could be an asset. Question is, is he in top condition? ... and I'm mostly talking of match sharpness, since he hasn't been playing a lot of late.

which is why when compared to Janku, he would still make it.

lexx

try and crack a smile
Reaction score
Fav. Players
costacurta albertini gattuso maldini del piero bernard
against a team like man u my preference would always be flamini the energy and pace that he has will be very affective against the likes of valencia maybe even rooney the only issue is will he avoid creating set piece opportunities for man u and what formation we would have to use in order to have flamini in the team. as for the other options i would prefer we used zambro borriello pirlo instead of seedorf huntelaar abate.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Abbiati
Zambrotta Nesta Silva Antonini
Seedorf Pirlo Ambro
---------------- Dinho
Pato Borri​

Zambrotta because (except Antonini's poor clearence few games ago) i believe Antoni has been more solid then Abate was. Besides that Antoni was better attacking then Abate.

Seedorf <> Becks because Seedorf is the best CL player we have. He's great in the big matches, he was great against Man Utd 2 years ago and he was great in the machtes against Madrid. He's the master in keeping the ball in intense matches like these.

I want Pato closer to Borriello because Borriello shouldn't be isolated against Vidic & Ferdinand (if both are available) and because Pato is at his best as a second striker.
Ok, forget this whole line-up. Man Utd probably will play 4-5-1 with Valencia & Nani wide. We can't play 4-3-3/4-2-4 against their midfield because they will dominate the game easily.

Abbiati
Abate Nesta Silva Zambrotta
Flamini Pirlo Ambrosini
Seedorf Dinho
Pato​

Seedorf is vital for us in the Champions League. He's the emperor on the field when he is motivated. And he will be motivated against Man Utd. I hope he's fit (although i think he's on the bench).

My point is: we can't just go play 4-2-4 and throw the whole CL campaign away (and most likely the rest of the season) just so we can play all out attack. You saw what happend to Arsenal (yes their defense suck) when they did that. Just play on a result at home and give a show away on Old Trafford.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
we have been playing well with 4-3-3. i don't think we should change our formation and team just because the midfield might be dominated.

it's more likely that we'll lose because we change the formation than if we don't

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
we have been playing well with 4-3-3. i don't think we should change our formation and team just because the midfield might be dominated.

it's more likely that we'll lose because we change the formation than if we don't
Wenger could've said the same..

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Wenger could've said the same..

yes. but whenever we have played something other than 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 we have been shite.

changing the formation with only 4 days training left is a terrible idea and would only pay off with a huge amount of luck or teamwork.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Put in there 2 defensive midfielders. Sit back, control possession, and we should be fine. This is NOT Real Madrid.

There's something about Gattuso that doesn't let one feel safe anymore. Back in 2007, you could have given him the job of watching C.R and Rooney and could have possible excelled at that. Right now I'm not sure I'd give him Park. He's seriously a walking Red Card, that could really be hurtful. In addition to that, putting Flamini can be a tad risky. It's been a while since he's played a match this important.

Now, at RB, I love the work Abate has done, but if Silva is alright to play in the center, then I want Bonera at RB.

At offense, I think the 3 are quite obvious.

Now, this is an important match. I'd take a 0-0 draw easily.

fiume_1987

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Boban, Desailly, Redondo, Rivaldo, Rui Costa, Maldini, Pato, T. Silva
ideal lineup at the moment:
Abbiati
Abate Nesta Thiago Antonini
Pirlo
Flamini Ambrosini

Pato Ronaldinho
Borriello​

Seedorf is always great in big matches, but we can't afford playing both him and Pirlo in midfield with only Ambro covering the midfield. And Pirlo is in far better form than Dorf.
If both Anto & Zambro can't play we're in big trouble and putting Favalli as a LB would be a sucide. He has zero pace and would get slaughtered by Valencia or Nani. Bonera, Flams, even Kaladze would be better solutions. Janku is obvious choice, but his defending is abysmal and we can't afford that v. ManU.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
ideal lineup at the moment:
Abbiati
Abate Nesta Thiago Antonini
Pirlo
Flamini Ambrosini

Pato Ronaldinho
Borriello​

Seedorf is always great in big matches, but we can't afford playing both him and Pirlo in midfield with only Ambro covering the midfield. And Pirlo is in far better form than Dorf.
If both Anto & Zambro can't play we're in big trouble and putting Favalli as a LB would be a sucide. He has zero pace and would get slaughtered by Valencia or Nani. Bonera, Flams, even Kaladze would be better solutions. Janku is obvious choice, but his defending is abysmal and we can't afford that v. ManU.

+1 Agree with you but I would change some position with the players

----------------ABI----------------
------------S.N-----T.S------------ /Bon /Zambro
--Abate----------------------Anto--
---------------Ambro---------------
--------Flam-------------Pirlo------- /Seedo
-----Pato------------------R80----- /Becks
---------------Borie---------------- /Hunt

horsovski

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Thiago Silva, Boriello and Zambrotta trained seperately today :(

Last edited:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
If Antonini is out, Flams should start at LB, if he is healthy, he should start in the midfield. Hunter should get the nod at CF. Flamini should stay on Rooney the entire game, he is their only scorer (Rooney-20 goals, Berba-7 but he wont play, Valencia-5, Fletcher-3...) they really lack non-Rooney scoring

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
Dida
Abate Nesta TS Antonini
Flamini Ambro
Pirlo
Pato Ronaldinho
Borriello​

Maybe Zambro if he's ready, and Pippo if Borriello's out.

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
having flams as a full back would be good if anto isnt able to play, but it would be better to have him in midfield, he could keep up with any man utd midfielder and help keep pressure off the backline, assuming that he can play as good as he did in that last game and not have any stupid tackles, and that is always a worry. still think fergie will make sure and have pato and dinho marked tight whivh should give us more space, hopefully pirlo can take advantage of that, pretty much a nil nil or a 1 0r 2 nil win would be perfect for us, we cant allow them to score.

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
We have to make sure to end this match with a clean sheet, that would help us much for the return leg, so that we have an advantage because we can still score an away goal and they won't have one.
Dida really was a didaster again yesterday, so better let Abbiati play, we're safer with him. I really hope Thiago Silva and Antonini will make it.

------------Abbiati-------
Abate--Nesta--Thiago Silva--Antonini
------Flamini-------Ambrosini-------
-------------Pirlo--------------
Pato-----Hunter/Borri------Dinho

It's better to have Flamini in midfield than Seedorf, he was bad in his last games, so it's better to have Pirlo in his role and Flams next to Ambrosini. In attack and defense it's obvious who should play, I only don't know if it's better to let Borri or Hunter play. Borri hasn't scored for some time and has problems with scoring in big games, Hunter had a brace yesterday and has great confidence now, so it could be better to have him on the pitch. The best would be to give them both playing time in this match.

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score
We have to make sure to end this match with a clean sheet, that would help us much for the return leg, so that we have an advantage because we can still score an away goal and they won't have one.
Dida really was a didaster again yesterday, so better let Abbiati play, we're safer with him. I really hope Thiago Silva and Antonini will make it.

It's better to have Flamini in midfield than Seedorf, he was bad in his last games, so it's better to have Pirlo in his role and Flams next to Ambrosini. In attack and defense it's obvious who should play, I only don't know if it's better to let Borri or Hunter play. Borri hasn't scored for some time and has problems with scoring in big games, Hunter had a brace yesterday and has great confidence now, so it could be better to have him on the pitch. The best would be to give them both playing time in this match.

I would start Hunter and if nothing happens bring on Bori to lean on ManU's tired defence.........but lets start with precision.

Banana Rama

Banned
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am a Manchester United supporter and new here. I hope you don't mind me posting in this thread. This will almost certainly be our starting line-up on Tuesday:

------------------------Rooney

------------Park----Carrick--Fletcher---Nani

------------------------Scholes

------------Evra--Ferdinand--J.Evans--Rafael

----------------------Van-Der-Sar

The only question marks are wether Valencia or Nani start on the right wing, and Rafael or Brown at right back. I think it will be Rafael and Nani, I hope so anyway. I am very confident of Manchester United going through, having said that Milan do still have world class talent so I am not counting any chickens.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No. A good keeper would've collected Ronaldo's header on the line instead of trailing in his box + Heinze was already past the ball when Dida poked it in.
The header was at point blank range and he couldn't have caught it if he tried. After it caromed off his chest, he went back after it and probably would've succeeded in at least slapping it out had Gila not sandwiched himself in between him and Heinze (which went completely overlooked by all the haters), allowing Heinze to put it in.

Ali Daei

Kaliris
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am a Manchester United supporter and new here. I hope you don't mind me posting in this thread. This will almost certainly be our starting line-up on Tuesday:

------------------------Rooney

------------Park----Carrick--Fletcher---Nani

------------------------Scholes

------------Evra--Ferdinand--J.Evans--Rafael

----------------------Van-Der-Sar

The only question marks are wether Valencia or Nani start on the right wing, and Rafael or Brown at right back. I think it will be Rafael and Nani, I hope so anyway. I am very confident of Manchester United going through, having said that Milan do still have world class talent so I am not counting any chickens.

First off, Welcome to the forums. The only thing you should do while your a part of this forum is treat the members and milan with respect so dont post anything offensive. Enjoy.

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi

I dont think that Leo will start Abbiati in such a crucial game ahead of Dida. Dida have been playing most of the season Abbiati played 3 games. Leo is smart I dont think he'll make that mistake.
Zambrotta, I dont know much about his condition. But if he's ready I would play him as a LB, he'll do good with Ronaldinho there :tongue:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
I dont think that Leo will start Abbiati in such a crucial game ahead of Dida. Dida have been playing most of the season Abbiati played 3 games. Leo is smart I dont think he'll make that mistake.
Zambrotta, I dont know much about his condition. But if he's ready I would play him as a LB, he'll do good with Ronaldinho there :tongue:
The biggest mistake will be playing Didaster. I don't want to see another 2007 first leg.

Revolution

Io Ci Credo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Pjanic, Schweini, Prince, Abate
The biggest mistake will be playing Didaster. I don't want to see another 2007 first leg.
100% agreed, if abbiati doesn't start i will be super pissed

Thiago Silva, Boriello and Zambrotta trained seperately today :(
AND antonini is out.

Abate - Nesta - Bonera - Flamini <- best were gunna hope for IMO

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
100% agreed, if abbiati doesn't start i will be super pissed

AND antonini is out.

Abate - Nesta - Bonera - Flamini <- best were gunna hope for IMO

Prepare to be pissed then.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What the hell happened to Antonini? If we start Favalli at LB again, then we'll be in a world of hurt. Unfortunately, the only alternative is Zambrotta, who hasn't played in a long time and has been horrible all year anyway.

I don't even know what to think about this game. If you look at what "should" happen, then it's pretty clear that Manchester United is far and away the favorite. I'm expecting United to win 1-0 or something like, so at least I'll go in cool headed and maybe I'll get to be surprised.

Patistico

Godfather
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am a Manchester United supporter and new here. I hope you don't mind me posting in this thread.

I am very confident of Manchester United going through, having said that Milan do still have world class talent so I am not counting any chickens.

Welcome, mate. Opinions are always welcome here. Post away.

I think you've highly underestimated Milan, the best CL team in the world.

The Dinho/Pato/Borriello partnership is formidable. We have an incredible record when they're playing... we score a ton of goals.

Nesta/Silva is the best CB partnership in the world. Period. Rooney has been AMAZING this year. Nani/Valencia/etc have 0 chance of scoring against us. If you end up advancing, it will be because of Rooney.

The game will be a battle of midfields. If we play with Pirlo/Ambro/Flamini, you will have a tough battle ahead of you. Your midfield is incredibly organized, as we witnessed when with 10 men against Villa you guys kept them in their half for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. This is what I fear the most - your midfield shutting us out. And of course, Rooney ;)

Should be a fantastic match though.

What the hell happened to Antonini? If we start Favalli at LB again, then we'll be in a world of hurt. Unfortunately, the only alternative is Zambrotta, who hasn't played in a long time and has been horrible all year anyway.

I don't even know what to think about this game. If you look at what "should" happen, then it's pretty clear that Manchester United is far and away the favorite. I'm expecting United to win 1-0 or something like, so at least I'll go in cool headed and maybe I'll get to be surprised.

I have a feeling Leo does not have the balls to bench Seedorf... so that leaves room for Flamini to play LB.

FaRa13

Kuq e Zi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Ballack, Pirlo, Gerrard, van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, De Rossi
I personally agree that seedorf should be included. However, the last game he did not play, and the 2 before he looked a little out of shape. It will be interesting seeing seedorf, who lacks match fitness, play in the most energy-required game of the season. The UCL is his cup though, so even with no fitness, i would choose him over many.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
If only Leo kept Flams involved rather than giving all the chances 4 Gatu who is yet 2 put a solid game.
Flams didnt play since long time & its a risky/insult asking him 2 play as a LB now.

Last edited:

Schedule