Week 20: Milan vs Crotone - Saturday 6/1/2018 15:00 CET

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Kalinic v Silva is pretty obvious decision. Kalinic has more experience, is stronger in the box and works more while Silva is still trying to figure out Serie A. I think the smartest thing would be to loan him to another Serie A team where he gets lots of playtime because he needs it for his development but we're not in a situation where we can give it to him.

Don't even compare Cutrone with these two. That kid works his ass off and is always there for a spark of brilliance like that goal vs Inter. He needs to work on his body to become stronger and hope to grow a couple more inches, then he might end up being truly special.

Also fuck the ref.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Exactly what I was saying pre game, our strikers are as bad as each other. However Silva has had the least chance to prove himself and his ceiling is so much higher than the other two. I just don’t understand why he isn’t getting game time, he must have a bad attitude in training.

This ceiling business is completely random.

Again, let me try to explain this. Kalinic is an utterly mediocre player. Cutrone is a very hard-working player. But both of them know what the coach wants them to do. When they come out to play, they play 'in the system'. Tactically, they do what is expected of them. Neither of them (Kalinic because of the nature of his game, and Cutrone because he's still very young) are prolific.

Now Andre Silva our adorable shyster, has no concept of playing in a system. Almost every single time when he has come out to play, he has just done his thing and completely ignored whatever style we were playing in or whatever his teammates were trying to do. This is an acceptable thing for a prolific striker like Cristiano to do, but for someone who can't even hold off a lower level Serie A defender, it's just buffoonery.

I really don't think it's deliberate or whatever, Silva just lacks the intelligence to play in a tactical system. He's just very unsuitable for the league.

So if this was futsal or something, I agree that Andre Silva has a higher ceiling than the other two strikers. But in Italian football, from what he has shown so far, his ceiling is Serie B.

We have this fool's choice because of our 10/10 transfer market in which so much money was wasted on a mediocre pivot striker (most likely due to Montella's love for a ball-playing system which was never going to work with the players we had) and a shyster (because Mirabelli got scammed by Mendes). Until we fix the striker situation, we won't get anywhere. But in the meantime, the only good options are Cutrone and Kalinic - in that order.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
You can't separate the way the ref called the game and a team's performance. Crotone literally were able to play as rough as they wanted, and whenever they got into trouble, they would collapse and get a foul.

Like that one cross from Kessie, from our right, when he was released by a beautiful Hakan ball--Kessie overhit the cross and Cutrone and the defender are just jockeying for position, it goes over both their heads but the defender falls... foul.

Those things really bite into your ability to play, and it made the team more hesitant. You could see it that it really hurt our bite.

Plus, I still don't get why Kessie's goal was disallowed. I genuinely do not.

Yea the red was so poor.

Kessie’s goal was disallowed because he pulled mandragoras shirt when moving towards the ball to shoot

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
You can't separate the way the ref called the game and a team's performance. Crotone literally were able to play as rough as they wanted, and whenever they got into trouble, they would collapse and get a foul.

Like that one cross from Kessie, from our right, when he was released by a beautiful Hakan ball--Kessie overhit the cross and Cutrone and the defender are just jockeying for position, it goes over both their heads but the defender falls... foul.

Those things really bite into your ability to play, and it made the team more hesitant. You could see it that it really hurt our bite.

Spot on about the first situation. There was no contact that justified him falling.

As for the Kessie goal, I believe Bonucci was deemed offside when he headed the ball to Kessie? Because the guy falling down next to Kessie can't be the reason, there was absolutely no foul in a 100 years there. I only saw one replay tough but that seems like the only explanation. Our third goal should've counted tough - Lafiti fell on his own.

Yea the red was so poor.

Kessie’s goal was disallowed because he pulled mandragoras shirt when moving towards the ball to shoot

If that was actually the reason then we should've been 3-0 up because that was just laughable.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
Montella probably frustrated the shit out of him.. cause I remember in the beginning of the season he was very motivated and run tirelessly just like hakan today.. but the last matches he was subbed on he seemed careless..

Doesn’t help when you’re subbed in the last 10 minutes and the team can’t string two passes together either

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka

Cos ref is a cunt. Thats why

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Kalinic/Silva discussion is like the atheism/theism discussion of rnb

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
wow kalinic must be much better like his last 5 games :lol: :lol:

Kalinic is just invisible on the field, Silva embarrasses his partners with stupid decisions and bad passing. They think that if someone can play like a noob, so can everybody.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
He needs to work on his body to become stronger and hope to grow a couple more inches, then he might end up being truly special.

Really? Isn't he quite tall and strong already?

The only thing I find lacking in Cutrone is experience. Which will help him get much more nimble around some of these defenders.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
A solid performance. We have grown in the last 2 games. It just sucks we don't have a lethal striker.

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
i think the cancelled goal was due to offside as well

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I re-watched it, because I thought Bonucci was offside, but when the ball is played, he's actually not offside.

That means the fact that Kessie is quicker to the ball, and isn't a ghost and touched the other player, Kessie "fouled" someone on the way to getting that ball. That's what I've gathered.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
Silva doesn't play because whenever he does, he tries to do too much and he's wasteful. He needs to understand that in order to start he needs to impress with efficiency, not flashy shit

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
Kalinic/Silva discussion is like the atheism/theism discussion of rnb

uJk01CI.gif

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
Montella probably frustrated the shit out of him.. cause I remember in the beginning of the season he was very motivated and run tirelessly just like hakan today.. but the last matches he was subbed on he seemed careless..

At the start of this season he was very good after those EL games, much confidence and momentum. Then he got benched countless times in serie a while we did just bad and all were gone. Now he didnt give the chances eventhough other striker didnt do anything better. Cant believe why we so unfair with him.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Well, the most important thing is 3 points..but this was far from a convincing game. Our inability to score is so frustrating, it cant be bad luck if its happening every game.

Calabria improved alot this season. He still dont have any ability that sticks out (like speed, cross, technique) but he imroved his game overall. Happy for him

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
If the goal was disallowed due to a 'foul' by Kessie, that's ridiculous. Such contact is nothing out of ordinary when someone rushes in to score a goal. I had thought it was Bonucci's offside which led to the annulment.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Really? Isn't he quite tall and strong already?

The only thing I find lacking in Cutrone is experience. Which will help him get much more nimble around some of these defenders.

He's sorta tall at 1,83 but I feel 1-2 inches could really help him in aerial duels.

As for strength, I feel he could do better in that department, he really seems to struggle in fighting for position and standing his ground against central defenders. He'll probably never be favored in that situation but he should work on making those odds better.

I agree that Cutrone has limited experience and that's what encourages me because I feel he can be a total nightmare for defenses once he has a couple seasons under his belt.

He has amazing work rate, good movement and instinct. His technique is decent and I believe it will improve but the most important part is obviously the mental game and Cutrone impresses me in that regard.

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
At the start of this season he was very good after those EL games, much confidence and momentum. Then he got benched countless times in serie a while we did just bad and all were gone. Now he didnt give the chances eventhough other striker didnt do anything better. Cant believe why we so unfair with him.

Cutrone is clearly the most useful striker on the list, not even close.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
If the goal was disallowed due to a 'foul' by Kessie, that's ridiculous. Such contact is nothing out of ordinary when someone rushes in to score a goal. I had thought it was Bonucci's offside which led to the annulment.

I re-watched it, because I thought Bonucci was offside, but when the ball is played, he's actually not offside.

That means the fact that Kessie is quicker to the ball, and isn't a ghost and touched the other player, Kessie "fouled" someone on the way to getting that ball. That's what I've gathered.

Wow that's just sad. In that instance the goal clearly should stand. What a shit show of a refereeing job. Unfortunately I don't think there will be any consequences for that guy. Just mark down the name Maresca for the future, so we know the type of shitshow we're in next time we play in a game with that guy.

Silva doesn't play because whenever he does, he tries to do too much and he's wasteful. He needs to understand that in order to start he needs to impress with efficiency, not flashy shit

Yeah he dwells on the ball too much and bogs down the game. We need players that speed up our play toward the goal before the opposing team sits in their own third in 1-5-5 formation.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
hopefully they don't pump cutrone with steroids like they did with pato and ruin him.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Doesn’t help when you’re subbed in the last 10 minutes and the team can’t string two passes together either

True

Also true.

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
Cutrone is clearly the most useful striker on the list, not even close.

Cutrone better atm in serie a i agree but he got figured out easily sometimes he just couldn't find a way to get the ball. He can be miss or hit but we cant relies on this guy every games like our savior. He need more time. And other striker deserves to get some chances.

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
Cutrone better atm in serie a i agree but he got figured out easily sometimes he just couldn't find a way to get the ball. He can be miss or hit but we cant relies on this guy every games like our savior. He need more time. And other striker deserves to get some chances.

its silvas and kalinic's fault that he is being picked for the saviour role. We do need to give another striker a chance, but we have to buy one first.

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Gennaro Gattuso

“We were coming off a period that wasn’t great, so needed to give a sense of consistency to our results. I only celebrate when you win the match, otherwise it’s meaningless,” the Coach told Sky Sport Italia.

“We played a great game for 70 minutes, but then made far too many mistakes and risked throwing it all away. We ran so many risks at the end.

“I make my decisions based on how the lads train midweek and the desire to win. It’s not just about fitness levels, but whoever deserves a place will play in my team.

“I am very satisfied and happy with the way the lads have worked and from the first day they have been ready to do anything I asked.”

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
hopefully they don't pump cutrone with steroids like they did with pato and ruin him.

I don't think that's what did Pato in. Steroids seem to work just fine for athletes everywhere.

But I do agree, I'd rather have Cutrone stay clear of PEDs, albeit for ethical reasons. He can easily put on 5kg of muscle without any exorbitant stress over a 2-3 year period and get used to his body the natural way.

Schedule