Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Marchisio and dynamism? Not since 2011.

Patri

Kallappam-pothu
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Gennaro Ivan Gattuso
Marchisio and dynamism? Not since 2011.

More than De Rossi, Montolivo and Pirlo, anyway. And I meant physical dynamism. Some forward drive with the ball, instead of staying back and passing it around. :)

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
More than De Rossi, Montolivo and Pirlo, anyway. And I meant physical dynamism. Some forward drive with the ball, instead of staying back and passing it around. :)

In the last two years, Marchisio has specialized in completely disappearing from games for 90 minutes. Without the passing game, that just looks sad.

You bring up a very valid point about Italy lacking in physical dynamism from midfielders, and that's where Florenzi should make a difference for the world cup. Or Giaccherini.

Last edited:

Patri

Kallappam-pothu
Reaction score
Fav. Players
In the last two years, Marchisio has specialized in completely disappearing from games for 90 minutes. Without the passing game, that just looks sad.

You bring up a very valid point about Italy lacking in physical dynamism from midfielders, and that's where Florenzi should make a difference for the world cup. Or Giaccherini.

I agree. But then, there are not many options for Italy in that role in central midfield other than Marchisio and Florenzi, are there? Maybe Poli, but he will have to show some more ability through this season.

Giaccherini has been playing in wide areas though, hasn't he? Florenzi would be my choice too, if he can keep up his form and hopefully improve his technical game a little bit more.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giaccherini has been predominantly deployed as the man ahead of the 3-man midfield, true.

Prandelli made a remark that his selections would be very dependent on the physical states of every player at the end of the season. Let's just hope the key guys remain fit.

Patri

Kallappam-pothu
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giaccherini has been predominantly deployed as the man ahead of the 3-man midfield, true.

Prandelli made a remark that his selections would be very dependent on the physical states of every player at the end of the season. Let's just hope the key guys remain fit.

:thumbsup:

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score
Italy won’t be top seeds – official

As expected, Cesare Prandelli’s Italy will not be amongst the top eight seeds at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

The publication of the latest FIFA World Rankings confirmed what many in the peninsula already knew after the failure to beat Denmark and Armenia over the last week.

Italy will be in the European pot and will face one seeded team from Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Colombia and Uruguay or Holland.

Uruguay have yet to book their place in Brazil given that they will need a play-off win against Jordan in November.

Italy boss Prandelli has insisted he is unconcerned with his side’s failure to be seeded for the event.

“We aren’t seeds? It’s better that way,” Prandelli told news agency ANSA. “I prefer humility and concentration straight away to excessive dreams.

“I am not frightened by the risk of meeting Brazil or Spain straight away. In fact, look at how it went for us at Euro 2012...”

Italy (1135.61 points) are joint eighth in the rankings with Holland (1135.95) – split only by decimal points difference. Brazil are 11th but they will be seeded as hosts.

Not winning against Armenia :lol::fp:. The price you pay now

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
“I am not frightened by the risk of meeting Brazil or Spain straight away. In fact, look at how it went for us at Euro 2012...”

DO EEET PRANDELLI :thumbsup:

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
FIFA rankings are horseshit. So the Swiss team is better than the Italian team??? hahahaha

Italy was the first team to qualifier for the WC, so they took their foot of the gas a bit. The fact that they qualified first and didnt lose should hold their spot

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
You should've shown this:

He said meeting them straight away, not in the final. DUUUH!

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
I prefer the 4-0.

But it doesnt make a difference. 4-0, 0-0,1-0, 1-1. I

italy cant beat spain anymore. :o

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I prefer the 4-0.

But it doesnt make a difference. 4-0, 0-0,1-0, 1-1. I

italy cant beat spain anymore. :o

the 4-0 was a lot on Prandelli for being stubborn. The 3-5-2 worked against them and slowed them down. Switching to a 4 man backline was a mistake.

In Euro 08 I just wish Pirlo and Gattuso had been available for the game, and that Cannavaro was healthy. A very depleted Italy took Spain to PKs...

Italy still needs to get over the hump and beat Spain, but outside of the Euro final, Italy has played Spain as well as any team in the world

Fiero

Reaction score
I will say this now because I fucking hate sentimental bullshit and it has been bothering me for a while. I don't think Buffon and Pirlo deserve to be at the World Cup.

Why does the rebuilding have to start after the World Cup? I respect all their achievements for the Azzuri but they no longer deserve their place. They have already had many chances at the highest level and won the damn thing in 2006, time to pass the torch. No need to hog the limelight and overstay their welcome ala Cannavaro.

That's why I'm also against Totti's recall. He knew when to quit - at the top, like Nesta. No need to re-open that story especially since it could have an ugly ending while now it has a beautiful one.

Buffon has been playing since World Cup 1998, when will Marchetti get his chance? And Pirlo since Euro 2004.

Incidentally they both missed out on 2010 due to injury, but that doesn't mean they should make up for it with this one. Problem is that the Azzuri relies on them too much - especially Pirlo - and I'm sorry but Italy don't look like contenders when their most important player is a 35 year old. We saw Pirlo vs Bayern last season, not pretty. Buffon's fumbles are increasing more and more. They should honor their legacy and quit before they're past their peak.

Let De Rossi lead, it's his time. Montolivo is another one ready to step up, he's 28 and at the top of his game. If you don't give him enough responsibility now then when will he get it? If Pirlo is on the plane to Brazil and Italy doesn't impress, then he would have robbed someone like Poli (24) of a World Cup spot. By the next World Cup he'd be 28 already. Just an example.

Also the Florenzi - Insigne - Verratti generation should be involved now. If they don't let the youngsters develop at the top level then they're just gonna face another burnout soon like in 2008 and 2010 when it was a mixture of oldies and youngsters with nothing in between. Well 2010 was Lippi thanking his 2006 generation by giving them a chance to humiliate themselves.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I will say this now because I fucking hate sentimental bullshit and it has been bothering me for a while. I don't think Buffon and Pirlo deserve to be at the World Cup.

Why does the rebuilding have to start after the World Cup? I respect all their achievements for the Azzuri but they no longer deserve their place. They have already had many chances at the highest level and won the damn thing in 2006, time to pass the torch. No need to hog the limelight and overstay their welcome ala Cannavaro.

That's why I'm also against Totti's recall. He knew when to quit - at the top, like Nesta. No need to re-open that story especially since it could have an ugly ending while now it has a beautiful one.

Buffon has been playing since World Cup 1998, when will Marchetti get his chance? And Pirlo since Euro 2004.

Incidentally they both missed out on 2010 due to injury, but that doesn't mean they should make up for it with this one. Problem is that the Azzuri relies on them too much - especially Pirlo - and I'm sorry but Italy don't look like contenders when their most important player is a 35 year old. We saw Pirlo vs Bayern last season, not pretty. Buffon's fumbles are increasing more and more. They should honor their legacy and quit before they're past their peak.

Let De Rossi lead, it's his time. Montolivo is another one ready to step up, he's 28 and at the top of his game. If you don't give him enough responsibility now then when will he get it? If Pirlo is on the plane to Brazil and Italy doesn't impress, then he would have robbed someone like Poli (24) of a World Cup spot. By the next World Cup he'd be 28 already. Just an example.

Also the Florenzi - Insigne - Verratti generation should be involved now. If they don't let the youngsters develop at the top level then they're just gonna face another burnout soon like in 2008 and 2010 when it was a mixture of oldies and youngsters with nothing in between. Well 2010 was Lippi thanking his 2006 generation by giving them a chance to humiliate themselves.

fiero i disagree completely. watching buffon fumble the shots by rossi today its absolutely clear that he's past his best and will probably be replaced after the world cup, but there are 0 official matches for the azzuri between now and the start of the most important tournament in the world. it would be plain stupid to replace the camptain and most experienced player, the upheaval alone would be disastrous.

i've always admired the way that italian national side don't respond to hype and promote players gradually. florenzi, verrati, insigne etc had a great tournament this summer at the u-21's euros. They're all having fantastic seasons and should be included for the bench of the world cup. by the time it finishes they'll be experienced, mature and able replacements. whoever takes over the job of manager (conte, montella, spalleti etc) will will be young, full of ideas and will have a quality up ad coming group of players to work with. italy are absolutely fine both now and for the future. if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Fiero

Reaction score
fiero i disagree completely. watching buffon fumble the shots by rossi today its absolutely clear that he's past his best and will probably be replaced after the world cup, but there are 0 official matches for the azzuri between now and the start of the most important tournament in the world. it would be plain stupid to replace the camptain and most experienced player, the upheaval alone would be disastrous.

i've always admired the way that italian national side don't respond to hype and promote players gradually. florenzi, verrati, insigne etc had a great tournament this summer at the u-21's euros. They're all having fantastic seasons and should be included for the bench of the world cup. by the time it finishes they'll be experienced, mature and able replacements. whoever takes over the job of manager (conte, montella, spalleti etc) will will be young, full of ideas and will have a quality up ad coming group of players to work with. italy are absolutely fine both now and for the future. if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Yeah my point was about dropping them after the Euros anyway. It's kind of a lost cause now, because barring any injury, they will start at Brazil. And sadly it would be very difficult for Italy to win it.

Italy were too loyal with the past generation and they milked every ounce of football in them, but in return they fucked the 2005ish generation. Montolivo, Pazzini, Aquilani and co. were cheated out of World Cup 2010 game time thanks to Lippi. Montolivo wouldn't have even featured if not for Pirlo's injury.

Donadoni was brave and introduced some youngsters in 2008 like Barzagli and Aquilani. Also gave Toto his chance, and re-introduced Ambrosini. People blasted Barzagli for the Netherlands game back then, but look at him now when he's developed to be Italy's best defender. For sure the experience in 2008 helped him grow.

Look at Germany in 2010. They didn't shy away from using Ozil, Khedira, and Muller who all had no experience prior to the World Cup. They played the best football at the World Cup and it took a corner for them not to reach the final. If a player is ready, then his age doesn't matter. De Rossi, Montolivo, Marchisio, and Motta are all ready to play now. Florenzi and Insigne are at a level where they're ready to feature for some periods.

I just think Pirlo and Buffon are getting too much of a free pass. It's different when the player is a match winner ala Zidane. In that case you build around him and take him even with one leg. But Pirlo is no match winner. Zidane singlehandedly took a shitty France to World Cup 2006 final, would Pirlo do that to Italy? Current Buffon? Doubt it. So why are they playing when there are capable replacements?

Last edited:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
i agree with most of what fiero said but barzagli the best italian defender lmfao thats so not true. Chielini is the best italian defender.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yeah my point was about dropping them after the Euros anyway. It's kind of a lost cause now, because barring any injury, they will start at Brazil. And sadly it would be very difficult for Italy to win it.

Italy were too loyal with the past generation and they milked every ounce of football in them, but in return they fucked the 2005ish generation. Montolivo, Pazzini, Aquilani and co. were cheated out of World Cup 2010 game time thanks to Lippi. Montolivo wouldn't have even featured if not for Pirlo's injury.

Donadoni was brave and introduced some youngsters in 2008 like Barzagli and Aquilani. Also gave Toto his chance, and re-introduced Ambrosini. People blasted Barzagli for the Netherlands game back then, but look at him now when he's developed to be Italy's best defender. For sure the experience in 2008 helped him grow.

Look at Germany in 2010. They didn't shy away from using Ozil, Khedira, and Muller who all had no experience prior to the World Cup. They played the best football at the World Cup and it took a corner for them not to reach the final. If a player is ready, then his age doesn't matter. De Rossi, Montolivo, Marchisio, and Motta are all ready to play now. Florenzi and Insigne are at a level where they're ready to feature for some periods.

fair enough you're arguing that buffon and pirlo should have been dropped after the euros so verrati and whoever else would be ready by now but hindsight's a lovely thing. The decline of buffon came really during last season particularly towards the end when bayern took the piss after the alava goal etc. there was really no case at all to drop buffon and pirlo after the euros, they'd both won the league and reached the final in the tournament. pirlo was getting the best press of his career at least from the british side. verratti who will undoubtedly be his succesor only had serie b experience and the memories of marchetti's world cup were still far too raw to give him that position no manager in the world would've had the cohones to make that call even you.

----

i absolutely agree that marchello lippis comeback was the worst thing that happened to italy in recent history. i can't even believe that somebody so pig headed had the career that he did. he's a selfish ignorant bastard and should have never accepted the job if he had so many grudges.

-----

as for germany, i wouldn't cal them progressive or innovative in any way. the other players that ozil, muller replaced where no where near their quality. if it wasn't for our very own prince of swaggness#10, germany would have gone there with michael ballack as captain.

Fiero

Reaction score
My point of view on Pirlo is my same point of view on Xavi. Spain won't win the World Cup - and didn't win the Confedirations Cup - because of Xavi and what he represents. His inclusion is based on reputation only and he's blocking much better players - namely Javi Martinez - out of the starting line-up.

i agree with most of what fiero said but barzagli the best italian defender lmfao thats so not true. Chielini is the best italian defender.

Yeah now Chiellini is, but it was Barzagli in 2011/12.

fair enough you're arguing that buffon and pirlo should have been dropped after the euros so verrati and whoever else would be ready by now but hindsight's a lovely thing. The decline of buffon came really during last season particularly towards the end when bayern took the piss after the alava goal etc. there was really no case at all to drop buffon and pirlo after the euros, they'd both won the league and reached the final in the tournament. pirlo was getting the best press of his career at least from the british side. verratti who will undoubtedly be his succesor only had serie b experience and the memories of marchetti's world cup were still far too raw to give him that position no manager in the world would've had the cohones to make that call even you.

Again, you're misinterpreting what I said. First of all, it's not hindsight because I thought Pirlo should have been dropped even after the incredible Euros he had. It shocked me that Prandelli still considered him a focal point and what's worse was when Pirlo declared he'll quit Italy after the World Cup as if it was premature and that he was doing Italy a favor by stepping aside gracefully. :D

It doesn't take a genius to realize that Pirlo would physically decline by the World Cup. He'd be 35 then and he's not a training freak like Zanetti. On the contrary, he's a player renowned for his physical weakness even during his prime, so imagine him when he's at the end of his career. We already saw him at the Confederations and in Italy's qualifications, he didn't feature as much due to fatigue and when he did sometimes he looked out of place.

Another point is Pirlo's motivation. Again, without hindsight it was obvious to me that this current season with Juve would be his worst (jury's still out since the season is long but we'll see). Pirlo isn't one to give his all under any circumstances, he needs to have new challenges and something to prove. Well, with Italy he already had a magnificent Euros so it was the perfect swansong. The entire world applauded his genius and so to me it's dangerous to expect Pirlo to excel after that because he no longer has a point to prove on the international stage.

With Juve it's the same. First season he had a point to prove, the second season the confirmation. This season he may push above his weight if they have a chance in the Champions League - watch him do well vs Real Madrid - but domestically I don't expect him to do that well since he's not bothered anymore. He needs a new challenge.

The last point is that he's not a leader. He goes with the flow, so his 'experience' wouldn't be vital in that case. Buffon is a leader, De Rossi is, Cannavaro was. Pirlo isn't.

So why go through all that just to accommodate him? He doesn't deserve it. If he was a match winner like Zidane - who pulled France on his own to the 2006 final - then I'd support it, but Pirlo doesn't win matches on his own.

And I never said Verratti to start in place of Pirlo. Re-read my posts, I said De Rossi, Montolivo, Marchisio, and Motta are ready to start now with Verratti and the likes of Poli off the bench.

Buffon's case is different. Mainly because I trust he will always give his all no matter what, so in that case he could be relied upon even with his decline. His inclusion doesn't bother me that much, but Marchetti was coming off a wonderful season. He should have at least been given a chance at the Confederations.

i absolutely agree that marchello lippis comeback was the worst thing that happened to italy in recent history. i can't even believe that somebody so pig headed had the career that he did. he's a selfish ignorant bastard and should have never accepted the job if he had so many grudges.

Lippi's second stint was horrible, but I completely disagree with you on him. He's a world class coach, no doubt. However, there are some very shady things about him, mainly the Inter stint and his second stint with Italy.

as for germany, i wouldn't cal them progressive or innovative in any way. the other players that ozil, muller replaced where no where near their quality. if it wasn't for our very own prince of swaggness#10, germany would have gone there with michael ballack as captain.

Ballack would have gone in place of Khedira, they still would have had Ozil and Muller there. And I doubt any non-German knew Ozil before the World Cup, so it was an inspired decision.

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Pirlo is saving himself for world cup so evident, even in milan he played good for his nt. I dont think to dump him would have been wise for italy. I dont care about italy unless balotelli and monty are in the starting line up.

Italy is trying to emulate milan 2007 cl. just be fit for 7-8 games in a tournament. Spain are fragile, brasil are young, germans are choker, they have fair chance and those mofos are always mentally tough

Brasil should stick with fiero mode, dumping those failuires like kaka, binho, pato and dinho (for nt) and start fresh, it would be great for future

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Both Pirlo and Buffon are critical to any chances Italy may have in the world cup. Italy is a squad full of promising young players, but the legitimate world-class talents who have performed at the highest stage are Pirlo, Buffon and De Rossi. Going to the world cup without 1 of these 3 could be rather disastrous.

Pirlo is obviously getting older and his second wind is slowly dying down, but there's no better international tournament player than him in football. He needs to be kept in cotton wool till the tournament. I'll be happier if Pogba plays more for Juve and Pirlo is rested more and more.

Buffon is a talisman. That save against Bulgaria should have proved what he's still capable of. Even with his recent fumbles, there's no better Italian keeper at the moment. And most importantly, he's a wonderful leader.

These 3 remain the first 3 names in the team-sheet from my perspective.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Buffon and Pirlo need to be there. Both are still quality players. Yes Buffon hasnt been as sharp, but Marchetti didnt exactly look like a star when he got the last game.

Pirlo is still an amazing player in bursts. If he is rested for the WC he can put together a great tournament still.

I hope Florenzi makes it over Marchisio, much more dynamic.

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
Why does Abbiati never get called up? I believe he should go instead of Sirigu or Marchetti.

As of this moment, and a lot can change until next summer, but this is the lineup for Nazionale:

--------------------------Balotelli/Osvaldo------------------------
-------Insigne/Rossi----------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
------------Florenzi-------De Rossi-------Montolivo--------------
-------------------------------Pirlo
--------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------
DeSciglio/Balzaretti----Chiellini--Barzagli-------Abate-------
------------------------------Buffon
---------------------------------------

Subs: Rossi, Giovinco, Diamanti, Pazzini, Marchisio, Poli, Verratti, Aquilani, Bonucci, Ranocchia, Pasqual, Sirigu, Marchetti

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Abbiati refuses to be a backup at international level

And domestic, mostly.

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
I would not want abbiati as backup to the italy national team. Doesnt sirigu have the same if not better stats in comparison to abbiati?

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I would not want abbiati as backup to the italy national team. Doesnt sirigu have the same if not better stats in comparison to abbiati?

I don't go by stats so much with GK... Abbiati makes MANY crazy saves...

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon

Then to some extent your biased. Dont forget, abbiati is also prone to amelia-like reactions (acting like a statue) during games. i CANT imagine italy playing a world cup game and abbiati starts only to let so many goals in.

Think about it,how many times last year has abbiati fucked up and let goals in???

We all would love more milan players in the national team but abbiati is the exception.

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Then to some extent your biased. Dont forget, abbiati is also prone to amelia-like reactions (acting like a statue) during games. i CANT imagine italy playing a world cup game and abbiati starts only to let so many goals in.

Think about it,how many times last year has abbiati fucked up and let goals in???

We all would love more milan players in the national team but abbiati is the exception.

I'm Italian, so I want the best for the team.. I think Abbiati has put in good performances in big games before..enough to warrant a spot on the team.. maybe I'm wrong.. Is Marchetti truly better than him? I'm curious about that...

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players

and he lets quite a few easy ones in. and he has to make a lot of his crazy saves because he doesnt position himself well

Italy has much better keepers than him

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Marchetti should never get of the bench.

Schedule