"Viewpoint" By Persik & Kyara

Status
Not open for further replies.

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Prolog

Actually this “Topic” and “its posts” should have come in this world more early and my dear Kyara has made all her corrections and her part in time. But then here were some problems like tax agency, happy birthdays, terror attacks, New Year and Christmas, oil and gas prizes etc... .

So!!! But the work is done. And as an every work this one deserves its presentations too!
So with some already old things (like about Bobo) I think it could be there.......

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!! Perhaps it is already pretty long time since I last time brought you all the joy of reading my long, long (for someone stupid and “one player” bashing) post about Milan’s performance. But anyway I don’t search for the glory of “the among all the most favorite post maker” cause it is simply impossible. I know only one thing if there would be only one person, who will understand my point of view after having read my message I would be pretty happy. Ye really not such happy surely, as if I got the happiest moment in my life but some sort of it for sure.
But in order to make thing more difficult I have, no we have (so me and Kyara) have made some sort of alliance. And during a week (no already more then a week) we tried to make a summary about Milan this season and surely with regards to another seasons and everything connected to it.

So a couple words from Kyara:

Kyara .....The purpose of this thread is to stir some real discussion on Milan’s tactical and psychological problems. Consider this a “study” about Milan’s current condition which explains the length of it ( :D ), but P L E A S E don’t even think about turning it into another “Pippo VS Sheva VS Gila” or “SACK CARLO” or “Seedorf SUCKS” discussion. I will not hesitate in deleting any pointless arguments, so don’t say I didn’t warn you. To some of you, the simplest solution would be to get a new coach or new players, but we both believe there’s more to it than that, hence this topic.......

Last edited:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
At first - I can not say that Milan performs bad or is the worst among the giants team. Cause such wins as over Juve 3-1, over Udine 5-1, over FB 4-0 and 3-1, Lazio 3-1 and many other wins that Milan had this season - brings for me personally - no grounds for such “killing” conclusions.

I have a question for you: - would you prefer having wins over all small or average teams of Seria A and at the same time defeats against TOP clubs rather then having beaten all great teams like Juve, MU, Inter, Barcelona, Real Madrid, AS Rome, and Bayern Munich and having some bad only SOME bad games against dwarfs like Chievo???? As for me I would choose the second one and will have hope Milan could still improve for the games against “Chievo teams”.

So what should we improve and where are the main problems

The first,
and one of the main:

Attacks through the flanks:
This and last season Milan lacked surely attacking and productive flanks which are very important to trash such aggressive dwarfs like Lecce or Chievo. The small teams that are able to press through the whole game and at the same time having 9 men in defense.
But this problem is imposed by Milan’s current tactic 4-1-2-1-2, that doesn’t suggest or anticipate classical flanks in midfield. As for example at Juve’s formation with Zambrotta &Camoranesi or Real Madrid’s with Salgado&Beckham.

Surely this season wasn’t the first one which showed this problem. So let’s go back in time a few seasons ago)
Ancelotti’s second season has clearly pointed it out. After Pirlo being introduced in the deep role and with the need to “insure” him or to be exactly to compensate his lack of defending skills Ancelotti put in the midfield two very brave guys who did great work in the first defense line of the team – Gattuso and Seedorf. At the same time Milan lost its flanks. At the beginning there were no big problems with small teams, Milan won over Modena 3-0a, Milan-Torino 6-0h, Milan-Atalanta 4-1a, Reggina 2-0h (that game Milan could have won it just 7-0) and over many other. But the answer was - Rivaldo and Rui costa together on the field along side with Inzaghi, who had been given enough passes from these two, plus Pirlo and Seedorf to find the net as many times Milan needed or wanted.
Then Sheva recovered and was put in the game together with the most stupid decision and order from Berlusconi – Milan should play two and always TWO forwards at the same time, cause it would be more attacking team. Surely for Mr. Berlusconi such wins as over Deportivo (4-0 Seedorf, Inzaghi hat trick) away wasn’t attacking enough!!!
Anyway Ancelotti said YES my LORD, and
1. put Inzaghi with Sheva on the pitch together,
2. benched Rivaldo,
3. changed already functioning tactic and
4. has lost Scudetto
, simply because having still the lack on the flanks (with Kaladze and Simic) Milan lacked after Ancelotti’s decision (read: Berlusconi’s) enough passes in the centre of midfield that could help to compensate lacking flanks (Rivaldo found himself on the bench). But Milan won CL CUP! Why - the answer is simple – there are different teams in CL then in Seria A with a different type of football. That’s why all these teams like Bayern, Dortmund B., Real Madrid, Ajax, Inter and at least Juve have faced still very strong and compact Milan and lost against “rossoneri” Title. (Even Sir Alex Fergusson told that time he prefers to play against Real Madrid than AC Milan).

The following season 2003-2004 Ancelotti understood the problem and ordered transfers of great grandfathers Cafu and Pancaro. They, being perhaps at that time almost on top form and at the same time near the end of their careers, brought in Milan speed, crosses and depth in the game, without forcing Ancelotti to change his already established tactic. Milan continued to play 4-1-2-1-2 and got Scudetto, European Super Cup, Italian Super Cup and the great joy to Berlusconi with “two forwards” formation. Surely there was good job from Kaka’ too but I would prefer to give a more important role for the Milan’s new attacking full backs – Cafu and Pancaro. Cause Kaka’, though had a very impressive season, failed to make the main job of attacking midfielder behind to forward - producing assists. Ye correct, with assisting it was very bad at his season record, however, with goals it was surely much better.

Obviously Ancelotti at the last season hoped on the better performance from Kaka’ and on still good conditions of both Cafu and Pancaro along with Kaladze’s recovery. But Kaka in general failed to impress and was very inconsistent, Pancaro recalled that he should be pretty old now and in this connection isn’t supposed to make prolific crosses any more; Kaladze hmm either didn’t have enough chances or didn’t give enough care about it. Only Cafu was still able to run through his right flank, bringing depth and attacking power from the right, but actually without previous season’s joy. So, with only one functioning flank and with “half in work” Kaka Milan managed to have pretty good record against small team, though there happened already more often 1 - 0 win’s with the last breath of life as against Reggina 1- 0,.......... and surely some disaster performances like season 2002-2003.......... But anyway, against big teams Milan as always had almost no problems: Barcelona, Celtic, MU, Inter, again Inter, Lazio 3-1 away win, Liverpool 3-0 after first half (about second you don’t need to remind me. I know but it was more Milan loss of concentration rather then stroke of genius from Benithez and his team. Some problems there were with Juve, but at the last game of the season Milan was too far away from the best form and in the middle of a hard period, though still has created some very good chances. But concerning the first game in Turin, there could be no complains except of goals. Milan played 0-0 but the whole game nobody watched Juve and there was an imagination that Milan plays at home and not Juve in front of its fans.

The current season. I put here only a couple words. Ancelotti made good decision, perhaps first independent from Mr. Berlusconi. He hasn’t changed his working and tasted tactic without looking on many complains, suggestions and advices from both Berlusconi and Galliani, who are both maybe good businessmen but only “users” in football strategy and tactic.
To change the tactic that has brought you almost everything you want and only in three seasons?!!! Nonsense!!!!

Ancelotti surely knew that and knew the weakest link in his tactician building. That’s why there were a lot of talks about new attacking full backs as Oddo, Ciccinho and even Cassetti. But at the end came only Jankulovsky???!!! and…… Gilardino???!!! Alongside with.....Vieri??!!! But about Gila’s transfer a little bit later. Apparently Ancelotti had it clear that after almost 30 mln. $ for Gila and 8 mln. $ for Janku - he will get no other funds for transfers.
So, Carletto thought about it a little bit, got some friendly matches then thought about it again and called Serginho. After short discussion Sergio left the chief’s room, being new attacking LB!!!!! So Milan got good, old SAMBA on its flanks in the face of always smiling Cafu and always malicious Serginho. And what about Janku? Who early till Milan almost always used to play as an attacking LB or winger - found himself in the central midfield, being charged to create competition to the player, who also till Milan’s career NEVER played as a LCM – Clarence Seedorf.
Result for Milan??!! Not so bad at this point of time, considering the whole season and the amount of games still left to play. But if we take a look at every result, game, formation, and what is more important on each player’s performance in every game, then we can come to the next conclusions. In all games Milan has lost or got just draw - there were first of all bad play of the flanks or the absence of it as in the game against Chievo with surely too great attacking full backs Kaladze and Stam as a LB and RB (though to Stam there are perhaps almost no complains (obviously he can perform well as Att.RB but only if the whole team performs, other way he should play on his normal position as CB).

In fact Milan now has only two real Att. Full backs – Cafu and Janku. But the last one plays not in this position, the first plays rather well but only in Play Station. Serginho plays sometimes great; sometimes he plays only like “Sergio today is in the bad mood”.

So, here I want to end with the first problem. Milan has at his disposal either no good attacking wings or just don’t use appropriate the appropriating players. And that’s why we again against Sampa, Chievo, and Lecce etc. get the Ghost of the season 2002-2003 with Udinese - Milan 1-0.

Last edited:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Second one.

2000-2001 - Sheva, Bierhoff, Leonardo, Jose Mari,
2001-2002 - Sheva, Inzaghi, Jose Mari, Javi Moreno
2002-2003 - Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Sheva, Tomasson, Borrielo,
2003-2004 - Sheva, Tomasson, Inzaghi, Borrielo
2004-2005 - Sheva, Crespo, Tomasson. Inzaghi
2005-2006 - Sheva, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Vieri

Have you any idea what it is supposed to mean?! Look carefully! At the names and in the name’s order!

So the answer is: each season shows appropriate squad of strikers and their number in Milan’ ranking for the starting eleven.

The second answer is: Milan during already SIX (!!!!) seasons doesn’t have constant forwards for at least for two seasons in a row. Every season Milan starts with new duo that always begins with the “each other learning course” over and over again, finding appropriate team play, mental connection, understanding on the pitch and other essential for forwards things!!! Here is the problem!!! And the currently season has started with new forwards version Sheva - Gila

Look on Real with Raul&Ronaldo, Barsa with Balloninho&Etoo, MU with Ruud&Rooney, Juve with Ibrahim&Tres., Arsenal with Henry&Bergkamp/Van Persi, and Bayern with Maccay&Pissaro etc. Almost all of these clubs have their constant forwards duo for more then two seasons. And as a life shows these clubs have no problem in attack or at least these problems are not only because of forwards performance.
In this point Milan is very similar to Inter, the same problems. Truly said I have never heard from fans of another big teams such question like:
- can Ruud play with Rooney
-or Balloninho with Etoo or like:
- should Juve or MU play only with one forward.

I am confident you also didn’t. But in Milan (like in Inter) there are always talking about forward compatibility on the pitch.
So what is the answer on this problem??? I think pretty obvious – more stability and more consistent transfer policy with forwards.

Next,
Problems of Vieri or is Vieri a problem???

....surely problem is old like old Bobo and already have lost it actuallity but persik had such great desire to write about him so I couldn't do anything to .....

I don’t think that many of you are able to tell me why Vieri transferred to Milan, at least more or less serious. Could you!!!

Ok I help here too. Since it was clear that Milan can’t get Crespo for another season, Galliani together with Ancelotti started talking about the great necessity of one powerful forward who can play great in the air and who would be able to get over in the box against tight and firm defenses of small teams. As I understood Gilardino wasn’t considered as such. That was right. Gila - enough technically equipped, light, with great agility forward with good speed should become new dangerous weapon and huge help for Sheva and Kaka’ against big teams, especially playing fast and versatile in the box and at counter attack. But surely Gila isn’t such one like Toni or Carew or Crespo or..... Vieri, who can push everyone before him down and the ball in the net, no matter how many defenders hang at his shoulders.
Vieri was signed for such games as against Chievo or Ascoli, or PSV. For games against teams that stay in defense with all squad and waits either on great long shot with deflection or on the air duel where the powerful forward only (as a rule) is supposed to win. Vieri is just created for such clashes. If you remember Inter with the best Vieri’s performances you will surely agree with me that that Inter, even if had problems then only not against small teams. I can talk here about Inter-Brescia (I think it was 2002-2003) 6-0 when Vieri along side with Di Biaggo has crushed the team Milan wasn’t able to win against (two times in season), having 4 playmakers on the pitch at the same time!!!!

But what have we seen?? Right, Gilardino was in the squad against small teams while Vieri, was sitting on the bench, losing his form. Truly said I don’t understand this. Maybe Ancelotti and Galliani could explain. Maybe they signed Bobo in order to make a libero or 4th CD from him (we all know how Ancelotti likes to change position of players.)???
Anyway Vieri could be not in his best form, maybe not such fast and agile as early. But we are not dared to forget that this striker has scored more then 200 goals in his whole career and in whole possible professional competition in Europe and world and such skills to score just can’t go anywhere, only because he is 32!!! I think Ancelotti had to and should use more Vieri and especially against small teams. Look on the whole games Vieri played more then only 15 minutes. If Vieri didn’t score in those games then Milan scored and Bobo’s impact was pretty high. It can happen that he doesn’t score but he always creates SPACE and that is much more important against Chievo and Lecce teams.
Try only to imagine how it is difficult to mark “185 cm. high and 85 kg. heavy bobomachine” who want to score, to prove himself and the world that he is still BOBO and make you injured only if you don’t care about yourself enough and are not enough polite.

........obviously Kyara doesn’t agree with persik about this part but she will not argue about it now because she’s so nice :D) ........

Last edited:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Jankulovsky.
What has happened with him????

That – what I told at the start of this season? Especially many discussions I have with my dear Kyara. Though generally I was absolute agree that Jankulovsky is a great, fast and versatile player with great shot but the thing – not in the position Ancelotti use him.
I just don’t understand why Carletto see in Marek – great central (close to the left flank) midfielder. If he played the whole his professional life as Attacking LB or sometimes as attacking midfielder or even as left forward. But in midfield he played during last four years only in his first season in Udine. Then Jorgensen (surely with order of Spaletti) pushed him back in the defense. Where he played as left winger (Udine under Spaletti played more with 3 CD) In his National Team that plays with 4 defenders in the line Marek plays stabile as a FULL LEFT BACK and under Nedved (as he used to play). Can you imagine what you need to do, if you are to play under the attacking player like Nedved? Ye correct, to secure him at first and second to carry great pressure in defense during the game and you should be pretty able for it.
Why Ancelotti did and does so. I find only one explanation for it. He wants to make competition to Seedorf at first and second to have more deep if it is to play against small team.
But what we have seen from it. First of all - Marek is not able to compete with Clarence (sure they are two absolute different types of players). Second if he plays then so as if he could not step on the field at all.
I think the problem is because also other Milan players are used to other way of play on this position. If Seedorf plays then everyone on the pitch knows that if you pass to him he will either search direct with the pass forwards along with Kaka’ or will try to save the ball by passing back or to the nearest player. Janku plays different; he prefers to run with the ball forward and then to play with short pass or to try to overplay the opponents and to cross. So as for me his style is a pure of an attacking winger, who, if he is in attacking movements, tries to cross or dribble the ball or if he has to defend - to run back and then to wait for opponent.

Anyway I hope that Ancelotti uses Marek in such way only cause of injury of Ambrosini. And when Ambro is again fit Ancelotti put Jankulovsky on his normal position and will set competition Seedorf – Ambrosini.

Kyara - I’ll add something about Marek here:

This season’s derby, Carlo substituted Rino for Marek and moved Seedorf to the right and if you all remember, Milan looked almost dead after that move. Fielding Janku as a left central midfielder is not only a waste of talent, but it also paralyzes our midfield because he looks so lost out there and every time he gets the ball, he just passes it back. If it was someone else I could’ve just concluded “this dude sucks”. But no, Marek’s got more than that and it’s not fair to him or to the team that his talent is wasted this way.

Just remember his cross for Pippo when the latter scored against Lecce and just try to imagine how many of that heavenly crossing we’ll get and what a force we could be if Carlo positions him as a LB, Cafu on form as RB with Ricky in the centre................

What about Kaka - is he a playmaker or what??

So I am happy that there are already many in the forum, who agree to what I have said (I think as the first one) at the BEGINING of the Kaka’s first season in Milan. Kaka has never played as a real playmaker and I doubt he would.
http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showpost.php?p=40134&postcount=2 I wrote it in season 2003-2004 and truly said I didn’t hope that somebody will react on it. Ye time changes.
The thing is that I had watched some games of Sao Paulo and many of Brazilian U21 where Kaka’ used to play before I made my decision about Kaka’. Believe me in most of these games Kaka’ played as....... a right forward or “attacking inside”. If you remember Mark Overmarce and Kily Gonzales in his great Valencia time - then having mixed this two types you will get pretty good imagination of Kaka at his Sao Paulo time.
Now I want to repeat the posts I wrote after last Derby http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showpost.php?p=156928&postcount=751 .

Why I think so.

As for the first season surely (as I once said) Kaka was a big surprise, surprise - that runs so fast and shots from every position and pretty accurately. But what have helped Kaka too – were our two grandfathers Pancaro and Cafu (see first problem). They both were in great form and with their movements on the pitch made Milan’ play deeper and widely in attack. And Kaka has space to show what you can do with opponents if you can run fast. At the same time Kaka’ has found very fast the same language with Sheva’, what is also important. Sheva began to combine with young talent and it seemed they liked it both.
But even at that first super season Kaka had very unimpressive games, when he just disappears on the field. As for example - the away game against AS Rome, that gave Christmas trio formation (Sheva’, Rui, Kaka’) and secured the place of the “winter champion” for Milan. That game it was perhaps the first time Kaka’ has showed his weaknesses. And surely if somebody was supposed to find them first then it could be only Capello. Capello has made it simple he has played Cassano as LAM and Mancini as RAM, at the same time, these both have not only attack but played very tough and hard against Cafu and Pancaro. (Though Cafu and Pancaro have played pretty hard against these Roma’s duo too). But the main thing Capello made his team do is to play very close and in the “cut space” and tried to prevent Cafu and Pancaro from playing on the flanks. So the dangerous Kaka’ weapon had no space to shoot and to run. But thanks to the great game of Rui, Sheva and Seedorf Milan managed to win. If someone wants I could put other examples with such performances of Ricardo but it would pretty long (but if you wish let me know).

In the following seasons for the other coaches it was even simpler to eliminate Kaka. Simply cause Milan was left only with one Cafu. Pancaro didn’t want no more. Milan lost his depth again or at least a pretty good part of it.

Surely to stop Kaka is not a simple thing as I describe here. And very often this puzzle is not to solve with the consequences of flying Kaka’ on the pitch, who scores and pass. But what I want to say – coaches change their tactics in order to stop Kaka’ but Kaka’ don’t change his weapons to be still unpredictable.
Biggest problems of his way of play I see in following:
- He decides very oft to slow, while having TWO possible and appropriate decisions he tries to choose THIRD and very often absolute inappropriate one.
- If there is situation - Milan attacks - three against three and Kaka with the ball – he waits too long to make a pass and prefers to control the ball until the box line and only then to give a pass, when there are already not three but four (with a keeper) opponents
- Way too much running with the ball, during which (no matter how fast Kaka is) opponents are able to come back and to close free zones.
- He doesn’t learn how to control the game – when it is more important through more short passes to put control of the ball and to make opponent to run for it and when it is more important with the fast passes with one touch to break opponent’s defense. Almost the whole game Kaka’ plays the same way
- What is more important he prefers to often individual play over command team play and very often it appears in the most inappropriate time.

And what is more dangerous of his style of play. Look - Ricardo, plays as a rule only due to his magical speed and agility. The question is what he will do in 7 - 8 years??? When he becomes 30+ and the speed will go naturally down???? For example Overmarce has hanged boots on the nail as he was only 31 or 32. At this age many players have their best time. Killy Gonzales I think he is near 30 or already 30 we all know how he plays. There are very little players in the world who can at their 30+ absolutely rebuild their style of play, like it did for example Serginho in Milan. I think you all remember this rocket that was considered as the fastest player of Seria A. Now he managed to rebuild himself and plays more positioning, however not absolute perfect and not such great as when he was under 30.

So I think if Kaka’ don’t start to change his way of play, to work on more versatility of it, on more team play and “pass play” then we could see absolute another picture of him in 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Milan formation or is the current tactic problem?

As for me the current Milan’s 4-1-2-1-2 is the most interesting formation among all big clubs in Europe.

At first with this formation Milan have won during only last three year if not everything then most of possible to get. And I agree absolutely with Ancelotti, there is no need to change the winning formation, only to treat some problems. And who can insure (what makes us sure) that new formation brings no (will not bring) new and even bigger problems???

The main of this problem is situated in the sphere of psychology and I think there was already enough discussion about it. (but Kyara will add something more, see under).

What I want to tell you is to put your attention on the uniqueness of this formation.

So, the key in Milan’s formation is surely the midfield. And here we watch two very interesting guys. Surely Seedorf and Pirlo. Both very technically equipped players with great vision, shots, versatility and ability to make unpredictable decisions.

The point is - that with these two guys in the central middle line, Milan is always dangerous from depth, especially after the unsuccessful opponent’s attack. When Milan’s defense wins the ball again back and it comes to either Pirlo or Seedorf. At the same moment there is always great danger for opponent that the long pass will find one of the forwards and set him to one on one with the keeper. Look how many goals Milan scored in that way or just set the dangerous chances. (f.ex. Sheva’s first goal against FB, after long pass form Seedorf). In this point Milan are very similar to the professional boxer, who being long time in defense in one blitz moment can set the last, winning hit in and in the most unexpected moment.
You ask what about Gattuso, what danger, what is his role, except for winning balls back? It is simple, successful Cafu in the attack (surely in his best form) is possible only due to Gattuso position who always secure Cafu’s zone and let him opportunity to attack as the third right forward, bringing depth and danger form the flank.
And an absolutely important role is Kaka’s, who due to his amazing speed and vision makes Milan’s midfield very mobile and unpredictable. The most important what I expect from Kaka is his ability to be always in open zone or to create such zone. Due to his movement he lets forward to find more space and surely to avoid possible offside, cause as a rule after Kaka receives the ball near the opponents defense line he suppose opponents defense to react on him immediately and with additional recourse, while Milan’s strikers find their free zone or prepare themselves for the most appropriate pass. Look how many times the last pass is given by somebody from Milan central midfield or defense, after Kaka’ being under pressure of opponents defense brings the ball to the next partner and the last one finds enough place to pass (Especially last dangerous crosses of Serginho).
The matter is that due to the very wide situated creation power, Milan is dangerous always from all positions on the field, look on this schema of Milan’s typical position in attack.

____________Gila____________________________Cafu

___________________Sheva________ Kaka_____

________Seedorf_______________________Gattuso

Serginho______
______________________Pirlo__________

Surely it is only if there is the most optimal situation and squad condition, but anyway with such scheme Milan attacks usually. And look carefully on the position of the players – there is each zone that can produce danger for the opponent, from every place a chance can be created to score or just make a killing shot. At the same time every attacking player is very technical and is hard to be marked.
Ye I know, we have watched a couple not very profitable matches but it could be explained almost in all cases by injuries of some important players (like Cafu, Sheva) and lack of appropriate substitute. Especially it is in the case of Cafu along side with inconsistence of Serginho. But I hope situation will change with recovering of Cafu, Sheva’s and Kaka’s top form and what more important if Janku will be put back in his natural LB position.

And a couple words about Milan defense.

To understand the problem and at first to find it I think we need one small comparison. Many of you think that Milan’s defense is too old. I wouldn’t argue but only say that young defenders are not the key answer on the problem. Look at defense of Juve with Thuram, Cannovaro, Kovac, Pessoto, Birindeli, they all are 30+, some 32+. In spite of that, Juve won last two Scudetto, having such guys as Montero and the grandfather of Seria A - Ciro Ferrara. 2003-2005 they played along side with 30+ Thuram in starting eleven. Now look on defenders of AS Rome – Chivu, Mexes, Cufre, Bovo (Ferrari gone this season) – all are pretty young defenders, all plays constantly, result??? Roma has and had one of the weakest defenses among Italian great teams. Why – simple cause of inexperience young defenders and (not the last role) psychology in the team.
Almost the same case we have in Milan – psychology. What Milan’s defense really lacks is not quality of defenders. There are almost all the greatest defenders in the world with Maldini, Nesta, Stam, Cafu, also Kaladze (not as bad as many complain), and Jankulovsky. The problem is only in psychology. Many complain about defense but don’t want to look – where is the problem. For example that Milan concedes mostly ONLY after standards situation (corners and free kicks). Look at Milan defense! How many goals we have conceded after an opponent forward was let for one-to-one with Dida? As I remember only against PSV (after unlucky Kaladze’s mistake). How many from long shots. As I remember only against Schalke (Altintop’s shot). So only two goals, cause of moment of weak in defense. Almost every other goal came after set pieces (including three last from Inter). So I have proposal to stop crying about defense and to focus on other problems. You ask – what about set pieces????. I have only one good solution and advice to Ancelotti – to invite one good Psychoanalyst and maybe doctor of Psychiatry too. I don’t think that Chivu would be panacea from set pieces decease. At first I have watched him in dozen games of this season – not very impressive, as for me not better as Colocinni (who makes too many mistakes as for great defenders too). But if he comes – I admit – it would be surely of no harm. As for set pieces maybe it could be useful to invite Mr. Ambrosini (surely after his full recovering) in the first eleven more often and especially against teams strong in the air. But as I see Ancelotti tries to solve the set pieces problem. Now in every game during “defensive set pieces” almost the whole team is in the box. So I hope it will help. But anyway I am sure the problem is only in psychology – the team knows that every “standards” can bring the goal and it makes the fear of goal bigger and the problem just huge.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
Since you’ve talked about set pieces, I would like to add something about the team’s keeper, Dida:

Recently we’ve heard many transfer rumors regarding Dida, and since we all know there’s no smoke without fire, we know there’s a reason why these rumors started in the first place. Now I want you all to know that this isn’t some kind of a sick attack on whom I consider one of the best keepers in the world today. But regardless how much I like him, I can’t help but notice that conceding so many goals from set pieces has been partly his mistake too. I think, in order to avoid goals from set pieces, two elements are important.

First of all, marking the opponent as tightly as possible, not only by defenders (although I can say it’s mostly their job), but also everyone else who has got defensive duties in those cases, be it midfielders or even strikers. The second element is the keeper. In some cases, like facing a very good crosser or very clever opponents breaking free from the tight marking, it’s the keeper’s job to just come forward and box the ball away. Now I would bet many of you noticed Dida hasn’t been doing that so well this year. I don’t understand why, but he stays back and our players poor marking just kills us.

Honestly, what brought this point into my attention was PSV’s keeper Gomes who cleared so many crosses away every chance Milan got, which is why we looked so helpless at times against them. Dida usually very good when it comes to clearing long range or sudden rocket like shots, but he’s gotta contribute more to set pieces and one on one situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team's mentality:

Now regarding the mentality of the team, here’s my 2 cents about Milan’s psychological problems:

But Before I start, what I’m gonna say now does not mean that we don’t need new blood in our team. Rather the fact that bringing in new players and yet continuing with the same attitude problem will not change anything either.
I think we all agree that mentality comes before physical fitness; without a strong will and an atmosphere full of determination and concentration, no team can achieve anything.
After the defeat against Depor or perhaps even before that, many people started questioning the motivation and seriousness of our players. Istanbul only made things worse, especially with the rumors about our players celebrating in half time. Personally I didn’t believe those rumors, but seeing that dramatic comebacks against Milan are existent problems, I, like every other Milan fan, started wondering what the reason was or still is. In fact, we can see an amazing difference in our performances when comparing two different matches or even two different halves of the same match. Does it only happen with Milan? Probably not, but with Milan it’s definitely a bit off limits. I don’t expect a super performance in every single game, but the inconsistency of the whole team or of some players can be killing sometimes.

I see two possibilities when I try to figure out reasons for this and I’m positive this isn’t exactly news to any of you. Either our players are too arrogant to see they CAN be defeated even after a 4-0 lead, or they simply have some sort of a complex in their heads about taking the lead. Now I would understand a breakdown under the pressure of a CL knockout game, but what really pisses me off is what’s happened to us quite a few times this season:

- VS Samp: we took the lead but they were able to come back and win 2-1
- VS Lecce: once again we took the lead thanx to Trilly’s freekick, but the equalized and it could’ve ended that way if not for Pippo’s last minter
- VS Chievo: we pathetically lost with a demonstration of no desire from our players

Now as persik said, we can win all the important matches and derbies of the season, but it’s points like the ones I’ve listed above that will take Scudetto away from us ONCE AGAIN. Is it a problem with the defense? The midfield? The attack? The coach? Or is it simply the fact that we don’t see Chievo the same way we see Juve? After that game, I really started to feel this whole fight over the title is overly ridiculous because we did almost everything we could to beat Juve and at the end threw our efforts in the bin. We can talk all we like about technical weaknesses, the need for better mids or defenders and strikers. And even though all those things are true to some extent, fact remains, the team I saw against Juve this season didn’t look like a team that lacked strength in any of its lines. If we can stop our strongest rivals this season and humiliate them the way we did, then why do we have to be embarrassed by teams fighting relegation?

Before every game, players must remember or be reminded which jersey they are wearing and which team’s name they are defending. They must take into account this team’s history and achievements before putting on any lazy performance that can jeopardize its reputation domestically or in Europe. I personally believe that our players are able to do that, not only because of their names, but because they have done it not so long ago. They just need to believe in themselves a little more and leave previous disappointments behind regardless how painful they were.

Don’t you people feel that the morale of the team and the fans this year is somehow lower than what it’s been in the past 2-3 years? The way we started off the league, the defeats, some awful displays by the team and the gap in the points between us and Juve reflect it all. But just because we have suffered a defeat in the Champions League final, no matter how agonizing it was, doesn’t mean we have to let that influence us in matches and championships to come. We, both players and fans, need to remember that Milan as a team has been through much worse situations before. There were times when we couldn’t even qualify to the Champions League because we were too weak to compete on that level. There were times when we lost 6-0 to Juve, the Scudetto race was limited between Inter and Juve, our two worst rivals. And I used to ask myself, will Milan ever go back to their golden days? Hell, there were even times in those golden days when we lost other CL finals unexpectedly and it hurt so much back then too. But you know what? No matter how many times we lost or how painful it was, we always came back:
- 1990, a defeat against Olympic Marseille in the final. When was the comeback? In 1994 with an unforgettable victory against Barca.
- 1995, another defeat against Ajax in the final. When was the comeback? In 2003 against our biggest rivals in the theatre of football.
- And now in 2004, another defeat against Liverpool in another final. But the question is, do you believe in a comeback?

I do. You ask why?

In 2002 when Carlo first arrived to Milan, I was a huge fan of Terim and after he left, we sucked so bad and I hated Carlo so much that I wished if Milan don’t even get a CL spot that season just so he gets sacked. But it was in that year we qualified, and it was in that year that we became champions again after so long. On that year I told myself that no matter who is in charge or who is on the pitch, I will always believe in my team, because it isn’t any team that I’m supporting. It’s AC Milan.

And AC Milan will always come back, En Sha Allah.

FORZA MILAN!!!

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
It is done!!!

Before posting here I had pretty tough discussion with Kyara – to post it or not!
Her great argument was surely the amount of words everybody needs to read it before he reach the final

But anyway what is done – is done, whether we are right that we made this topic and whether your opinion about Milan will change after it or not – I don’t know. The most important is to get something to think, even if it is to long to read.

Anyway as Kyara once said (she said not so exactly but the meaning was the same) - If you have read all this till the end – your are our hero!!! And if you have something understood you are hero of geniality.......!!!

Anyway Kyara! – my dear friend – grate thanks to you, for your help, energy and for your being here in the world!!!

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Pirlo, Messi, Zambrotta, Mutu, Mexes
What the hell is this? Are you just publishing some kind of private conversation?

Riccardo

AAAARGGHH!!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Rui Costa
Good work Guys, some really interesting comments and analysis. Can't say I agree with all of it. But our problems are in some way 'tactical' and also 'Pshycological'. In short, bring back Cafu and start playing Janku whilst giving Kaka' a boot in the ass.

I can't believe I read it all.

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
I will sent you both to work in goal.com ;)

Milanista10

FORZA MILAN, IL MILAN OLE
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi
Ya i really agree with you...Finally someone that actually thinks what i think. I've heard so much crap about transfers and an old defence. I honestly believed that the problem started somewhere deeper, the players aren't hungry anymore, they have players that have won everything and are tooo concieded and proud. Its a question of pschology and playing certain people in different positions. I also would like to make a point that Our center defence isn't in any crisis. Nesta and Maldini are the best central pair in the world. With cafu RB and Jankulovski LB, this defence would be incredible. I still feel that Inzaghi and Shevchenko are a dynamic duo, but Inzaghi is older now and sheva is hitting thirty. In 5 years they'll probably both be gone, and Kaka and Gilardino sould be in their prime. They should be our 2 strikers, and we should get a real tre-quartista, perhaps another Rui Costa as he'll be gone by then. I would love to see Pirlo as the man behind the strikers. His great passes and vision of the game would make him a great number 10..

Last edited:

Roksana

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Pirlo, C.Ronaldo, F.Totti, Del Piero, Nesta, Heinze, Roy Keane...etc
Who's got the will power to read it all? Not me :tongue:

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Wow, I got dizzy from reading all this, but I must say, great job. The first thread addressing Milan's defense that I won't have to close. :D

Reaction score
first i want to say sorry to bmw i got a mistake in thread,sorry bmw :( :(
second, i think the title is loss for milan this season,maybe the players tought for champ league ,but's it's so difficult against great teams;

Now,the important it's concentration and motivation for the team and give a pleasure for the fans

the miedfielders are still youngers, (kaka ,pirlo,...)also about strikers (gila)and our mission now for us milan fan's is to support milan in bed period , i hope the best for next times,that's make us proud of milan :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

killiegradge

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cafu
WTF is this?It looks like the rantings of some failed UEFA coaches.Are you intending to have a private detailed discussion on tactics,formation etc in this forum?Do you guys have your UEFA coaching certificates?I thought as much!
Nice to see you care so much but really who do you think you are?We all talk rubbish at times but lets keep it to ourselves.
FORZA MILAN
FORZA KILLIE

Demerio

Photoshop Lieutenant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA-Pandev-PATO
persik said:
As for the first season surely (as I once said) Kaka was a big surprise, surprise - that runs so fast and shots from every position and pretty accurately. But what have helped Kaka too – were our two grandfathers Pancaro and Cafu (see first problem). They both were in great form and with their movements on the pitch made Milan’ play deeper and widely in attack. And Kaka has space to show what you can do with opponents if you can run fast. At the same time Kaka’ has found very fast the same language with Sheva’, what is also important. Sheva began to combine with young talent and it seemed they liked it both.

Aboslutely agree. God Damn right. Without the flanks he is POOR and has no solution. The guy must change his game cos he is screwed.
With Roma was like an ASSHOLE with the ball. Unconsistant playmaker makes the team suffer like VS ROMA. KAKA was MARTIAN !!!
We dont need martians in the team. We need CHAMPIONS like Lampard from Chelsea and Ronaldinho form Barca...
I have started to doubt in his ability...

Last edited:

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
killiegradge said:
WTF is this?It looks like the rantings of some failed UEFA coaches.Are you intending to have a private detailed discussion on tactics,formation etc in this forum?Do you guys have your UEFA coaching certificates?I thought as much!
Nice to see you care so much but really who do you think you are?We all talk rubbish at times but lets keep it to ourselves.
FORZA MILAN
FORZA KILLIE
What
the
hell
is
your
problem?

:conf:

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kyara said:
What
the
hell
is
your
problem?

:conf:
I think his point is that we don't need to be patronized by you two of all people with a lecture on Milan. Not to mention the fact that little of the above ideas/opinions are your own as almost all of it has already been identified and discussed in depth in appropriate threads. All you seem to have done is summarized it, something that is totally un-needed. Especially as you have presented it all as your own work.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lo Tsar said:
I think his point is that we don't need to be patronized by you two of all people with a lecture on Milan. Not to mention the fact that little of the above ideas/opinions are your own as almost all of it has already been identified and discussed in depth in appropriate threads. All you seem to have done is summarized it, something that is totally un-needed. Especially as you have presented it all as your own work.
Having similar opinions is a common thing on a soccer board. It's not like everytime someone figures out something they have to copyright it. The idea of this thread was to gather our thoughts on what we think are the team's problems in terms of tactics or transfers or even psychologically and that's what we did. There's so much off topic crap going on in threads that 4 pages actually talking about the team ain't gonna kill you.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
feeling a little pretentious, are we?

Ppipe.JPG

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kyara said:
Having similar opinions is a common thing on a soccer board. It's not like everytime someone figures out something they have to copyright it. The idea of this thread was to gather our thoughts on what we think are the team's problems in terms of tactics or transfers or even psychologically and that's what we did. There's so much off topic crap going on in threads that 4 pages actually talking about the team ain't gonna kill you.
The subject matter is not the issue. It's your claiming that all the above is your own "good work" that is the problem. After all was it not you who took a tantrum at that MZK thing stealing your "work" by the way of having a copy of your signiture.
Furthermore, the fact that you think you are an authority on it all after publishing this like a ministirial whitepaper is as I said before, patronizing. I for one don't need you to tell me how the team I support are doing, especially as the both of you have been gone for well over a month. It's as if your just updating people on what they should have been thinking while you weren't there to take their hand through the world of football.
And lastly. There was no mandate for group disscussion in any of the above, unless it was hidden in all that droning on. So really there is no point in any of it. And if BMWTaylor is going to be consistant in her persecution of everybody else who started threads on this, then it to should be closed.

Last edited:

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lo Tsar said:
The subject matter is not the issue. It's your claiming that all the above is your own "good work" is the problem. After all was it not you who took a tantrum at that MZK thing stealing your "work" by the way of having a copy of your signiture.
Oh so you're telling me that every single word you write here is yours and nobody in the world has ever said it before? There's a difference between writing your conclusions about something and "removing" a copyright sentence from a certain design. There's no comparison between those two situations.
Lo Tsar said:
Furthermore, the fact that you think you are an authority on it all after publishing this like a ministirial whitepaper is as I said before, patronizing. I for one don't need you to tell me how the team I support are doing, especially as the both of you have been gone for well over a month. It's as if your just updating people on what they should have been thinking while you weren't there to take their hand through the world of football.
Puh-lease, look who's talking. Wanna know what's patronizing? Look in a mirror.
And by the way, just 'cause we haven't been here for a month it doesn't mean we haven't watched football either, so don't judge something you've no clue about.
Lo Tsar said:
And lastly. There was no mandate for group disscussion in any of the above, unless it was hidden in all that droning on. So really there is no point any in any of it. And if BMWTaylor is going to be consistant in her persecution of everybody else who started threads on this, then it to should be closed.
There will be a point in the discussion if you don't keep straying off topic, as usual. For your information there are people in this forum who actually wanna talk about Milan instead of just finding something trivial in every single topic to argue about, so you might wanna save them the hassle.

Last edited:

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I certainly don't find anything wrong with it. It's better than reading post after post of people biting each other's heads off or incessantly bellowing "SACK CARLO!" If anyone has a problem, then they shouldn't read it.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Oh but I'll tell you what's the problem Tay. Problem is that Tsar's just trying to find something to bitch about.

God, one can't discuss FOOTBALL in this place anymore :o

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Oh so you're telling me that every single word you write here is yours and nobody in the world has ever said it before? There's a difference between writing your conclusions about something and "removing" a copyright sentence from a certain design. There's no comparison between those two situations.
You haven't written your own conclusions. Your just spooning off what many have already said and most agree on as your own.

Puh-lease, look who's talking. Wanna know what's patronizing? Look in a mirror.
Look in a mirror? Why, will I by some way find myself to be patronizing towards myself? That doesn't make any sense at all.

There will be a point in the discussion if you don't keep straying off topic, as usual. For your information there are people in this forum who actually wanna talk about Milan instead of just finding something trivial in every single topic to argue about, so you might wanna save them the hassle.
So what is there to discuss? As far as I can see all you have done is present endless amounts of your opinions like a fucking bible for Milan fans. There isn't a great deal of scope for any kind of debate.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kyara said:
God, one can't discuss FOOTBALL in this place anymore :o
I know. We have to listen now and be told what to think by others. Any notion of having an opinion now is strictly a no no. Unless it's to offer bed favours for highlights, then it's more than welcome. :rolleyes:

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lo Tsar said:
You haven't written your own conclusions. Your just spooning off what many have already said and most agree on as your own.
Great. From now on we should all start providing a reference for every idea we've got. How about footnotes? Or will I have to follow a standard bibliography system? :proud:

:o
Lo Tsar said:
Look in a mirror? Why, will I by some way find myself to be patronizing towards myself? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Of course you wouldn't understand. It's just funny that Mr. I-know-it-all is accusing others of being patronizing.
Lo Tsar said:
So what is there to discuss? As far as I can see all you have done is present endless amounts of your opinions like a fucking bible for Milan fans. There isn't a great deal of scope for any kind of debate.
Ah so that's why. You couldn't find anything in the topic itself to debate about so you're debating why we started the topic in the first place?

Unbelievable.

Lo Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kyara said:
Great. From now on we should all start providing a reference for every idea we've got. How about footnotes? Or will I have to follow a standard bibliography system? :proud:
Well thats not at all what I was telling you to do, but if thats your excuse to pass away some of your many free hours, then sure go ahead. ;)

Kyara said:
:oOf course you wouldn't understand. It's just funny that Mr. I-know-it-all is accusing others of being patronizing.Ah so that's why.
I'm not being patronizing. I'm just too busy thinking of all the things you wouldn't understand. And I can't recall issueing a dossier on what I want everybody else to think either.

Kyara said:
Ah so that's why. You couldn't find anything in the topic itself to debate about so you're debating why we started the topic in the first place?

Unbelievable.
Your right. Why on earth is it that I thought the very point of a discussion board was to have discussions? Much better I think to take leaf out of your book and publicly spaff myself over Shevchenko at every given opertunity. :o

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Persik seemed to know a lot about Milan this season like most of us here do and just can't wait for a related thread to state his/her thoughts piecemeal. He/she feels it is necesarry to get it all out in one thread.

Most of his/her thoughts have been discussed or posted somewhere in the forum by some members who have similar thoughts. I'm not saying it is wrong to have the same thoughts and then 'publish' it but my impression after reading it is "tell us something we don't know".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule