Who will get to the final?

• Total voters

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Ahahaahaaaa WTF is this shit??

This is just as pathetic as when inter won the CL this year and there were a bunch of bitter people claiming its the end of european football or since inter won it its some kind of proff how bad things in football really are.

So in short for you people winning a wc only counts when italy, brazil or milan are @ the top of their game. As soon as 1 of the biggest favorites goes trough a terrible period football is doomed?? Lmao stop irrationality hatin, spain deserve the final alot more than italy deserved the 06 one. This spanish team is head above the italian 06 NT. The quality of their current NT easily rivals what brazil had in 02. Spain is a monster team, they may have a bunch of divers and crappy refereeing did help them in a match but fact is spain has the far best team of this wc.

And what the fuck do I have to do with those people? I don't like Inter but I think they deserved the title. Their manager was great and the players were really tough.

When I said or at least meaned that only counts when it's Italy or Brazil?

Ok now you're saying that this spain is head above Lippi's 2006 Italy and easily rivals of what Brazil was 2002, with Ronaldo and Rivaldo? HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more beautiful for you to admit that your love for this Spain makes yourself delusioned than saying that we hate Spain.

Rivals to Brazil, hahaha. Brazil's last America Cup team, that had only the reserves was more than enough to say that's way better than this Spain.

Just open your eyes a little more to the past, dude. Compare Italy x Germany in 2006 with Spain x Germany in this WC and you'll see the difference.

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Like MilanMB said.. Ballack would have played next to Schweini and behind Özil... so I don't think Özil would have been benched against Spain even if Ballack could have played.

I know he would have played there, but maybe replacing Ozil with Ballack against Spain could have been a good idea, he would be better defensively.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I know he would have played there, but maybe replacing Ozil with Ballack against Spain could have been a good idea, he would be better defensively.

Or maybe...

------------Khedira-----------
----Ballack---------Bastian---
Podolski--------------------Ozil
-----------Klose-----------------

What a difference one yellow card makes...

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

Yeah I kinda know you meant that. I don't think it would have made a big difference. I think Müller instead of Trochowski would have made a bigger difference. Big enough? Maybe not.

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
And what the fuck do I have to do with those people? I don't like Inter but I think they deserved the title. Their manager was great and the players were really tough.

When I said or at least meaned that only counts when it's Italy or Brazil?

Ok now you're saying that this spain is head above Lippi's 2006 Italy and easily rivals of what Brazil was 2002, with Ronaldo and Rivaldo? HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more beautiful for you to admit that your love for this Spain makes yourself delusioned than saying that we hate Spain.

Rivals to Brazil, hahaha. Brazil's last America Cup team, that had only the reserves was more than enough to say that's way better than this Spain.

Just open your eyes a little more to the past, dude. Compare Italy x Germany in 2006 with Spain x Germany in this WC and you'll see the difference.

About 3 posts back.

Yeah, sorry you clearly arent a delusional spain hater and i love them. Me not admitting torres is just a bad as Javi Guerrero gives my bias away easily.

Italys 06 squad had a better destroyer in gattuso. Thats about it. Spains attacks steamrolls theirs, creativity wise its not even close (but im sure someone will bring peerlo06>world up) while the defense is about the same.

Theres a reason why coaches, fans, clubs, players themselves..........all rate the spanish team this high. Its pretty simple really, all you needed to do was watch european football 4 the past 4 years and have a clue that from torres to xavi and all the way to cassilias spains team has WC players in every single position.

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
About 3 posts back.

Yeah, sorry you clearly arent a delusional spain hater and i love them. Me not admitting torres is just a bad as Javi Guerrero gives my bias away easily.

Italys 06 squad had a better destroyer in gattuso. Thats about it. Spains attacks steamrolls theirs, creativity wise its not even close (but im sure someone will bring peerlo06>world up) while the defense is about the same.

Theres a reason why coaches, fans, clubs, players themselves..........all rate the spanish team this high. Its pretty simple really, all you needed to do was watch european football 4 the past 4 years and have a clue that from torres to xavi and all the way to cassilias spains team has WC players in every single position.

yeah but it doesn't really confirm that this spanish team can beat Lippi's 2006 team, they can't even beat that "worser" Azzuri in Euro that was coached by Donadoni without penalties..
about the defense, come on.. italy 2006 with a fit Nesta would be better than this Spanish defense.. (unless you replace Sandro with Matrix :tongue
it's all about style of play that you'd prefer

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Löw: “If you don’t move around the pitch, you’re not even going to beat teams like Canada. ”

Hi, Cristina :D

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
So you consider em defensive coz they defend after scoring with the other team going kung fu attacking with 8 men after they were defending with 9 ? ROFL
You judge teams during the entire game not when a moment you chose.
Spain had like x4 more chances than any team they faced which can only mean they are an attacking team.
Like duh LOL

What that got to do with anything.
But yeah since you have mentioned that I guess you proved your idiotic point that Spain is a defensive team despite the fact they attack more than their rivals,

They are miles better + different than Italy of 2006.
They are the best team assembled since long time.
Usually such teams fail big time to deliver & this team could be different if they are able to win the WC.
Swallow it , its a fact.

again, you're ignoring my point and twisting it. Spain is not 'best team assembled in long time'. Best team in long time would not LOSE first game of tourney. Best team assembled wouldn't win majority of games 1-0.

see below

Man your logic is fucked up.
Torres alongside Rooney are two of the worst players in this world cup.
They pull him off coz he suck + cant finish for shit.
DO you even watch games ?
They played their best game without him with Villa their only finisher playing better when flanking so again less finishing.
They have the same problem as Barca when its about finishing.
Both being big teams they almost always find a way to solve problems.

i agree torres (and rooney) were terrible off form. but you also can't deny there pedigree as generally two of top strikers in world.

My point (not sure if it was clear), they do have 2 world class strikers and just a couple off games doesnt change that.

Fact is, every game that duo started they would look dangerous on goal, then as soon as 1 was scored they'd immediately pull torres off and pass around and play keep away

Consequently, 2 games w/o torres.... v. swiss they couldn't o anything
v. German, they mounted a nice build up... but ultimately couldn't score except via a CORNER KICK. I still believe Torres started v. Germany, they could score more... just simple fact he's a dangerous player committed a defender and opens up space for villa and others, even if Torres is totally OFF FORM

They value possession then actual attack. And I dunno how it's any clearer than fact they prefer to play with 5 CMs and 1 striker than anything. I like all those players game, but isn't it overkill like playing 3 DMs cause u wanna break up play for ex. It's ultimately same concept.... they just do it with the ball, so kudos for spain

BTW @ 'they're like barca'

How many goals did barca score? Second most in la liga, 3rd in europe? Something like 95 right? Thats a huge total....

How many have torres and villa scored? Consistently two of top scoring strikers in world. The team should be able to find ways to score more than 1-0 victories. But they really only commit temselves to scoring one and then passing ball around.

Like i said above. I don't care, its effective. But if you're gonna bash other teams for there lack of commitment to keep attacking, blah blah blah... you surely can't praise spain for
'playing the right way'
'attacking football'
'best team ever' bs

because all those things would signify they could win atleast 1 game 4-0 or by some huge margin, and the simply haven't. Not cause they can't.... cause they don't WANT to. I've seen classic brazilian teams, and other true attack minded teams. They don't score 1 and then pass ball to corner nonstop, pass up shots on goal which could be goals and generally dick around till clock rolls out.....

So whats this commitment to playing right way? Yeah it's not there.... commitment is to result period. AKA SAME AS ITALY.

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm disappointed that Germany are out, but Spain deserved it on the night, and I can't have any complaints about them reaching the final.

However, I'm sick of hearing and reading about what a wonderful, entertaining side Spain are. I have a strong suspicion that people are basing this on the names on Spain's teamsheet. In reality, it's very difficult for ball-players like Xavi and Alonso to show how good they are when, more often than not, the only movement in the team comes from Iniesta and Ramos. As a result, they've spent the majority of games slowly knocking the ball around the midfield with no real direction, and patiently waiting for the defence to panic and get sucked into the ball, or for Villa to do something special. For a team with so many star creative players, they've been unbelievably reliant on Villa.

If Italy or Germany played the way Spain have - two holding players, crowded midfield, loads of possession for possession's sake - I reckon they would get slaughtered for being dull.

The second issue I have with people's analysis of this game is the u-turn in opinion on Germany. Far too many are now suddenly declaring that this German side is overrated, average, etc. It's OK to have consistent, balanced opinions, folks. Sweeping statements and polarised arguments don't make you a more interesting poster.

Last edited:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
I'm disappointed that Germany are out, but Spain deserved it on the night, and I can't have any complaints about them reaching the final.

However, I'm sick of hearing and reading about what a wonderful, entertaining side Spain are. I have a strong suspicion that people are basing this on the names on Spain's teamsheet. In reality, it's very difficult for ball-players like Xavi and Alonso to show how good they are when, more often than not, the only movement in the team comes from Iniesta and Ramos. As a result, they've spent the majority of games slowly knocking the ball around the midfield with no real direction, and patiently waiting for the defence to panic and get sucked into the ball, or for Villa to do something special. For a team with so many star creative players, they've been unbelievably reliant on Villa.

If Italy or Germany played the way Spain have - two holding players, crowded midfield, loads of possession for possession's sake - I reckon they would get slaughtered for being dull.

The second issue I have with people's analysis of this game is the u-turn in opinion on Germany. Far too many are now suddenly declaring that this German side is overrated, average, etc. It's OK to have consistent, balanced opinions, folks. Sweeping statements and polarised arguments don't make you a more interesting poster.

I love you Calum (n/h) :proud:

Last edited:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Löw: “If you don’t move around the pitch, you’re not even going to beat teams like Canada. ”

Hi, Cristina :D

Müller :cry:

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
About 3 posts back.

3 posts back isn't enough. Copy and paste. I didn't mean that and I don't even know where did you find it and how could you interpret like that.

Seriously? Gattuso is the only diference you see between both? Let me give you a little sum up:

Buffon is a million times better than any GK in Spain's story.
Cannavaro is a million times better than any CB in Spain's story.
Gattuso is a million times better than any any DM in Spain's story.
Pirlo is a million times better than any MC in Spain's story.
Spain NEVER HAD a fuoriclasse that can be compared to De Rossi and Totti.
And the only spanish manager who one day maybe will be abble to be compared with Lippi is Benitez, who by the way is absolutely tactically italian-minded.

Assuming that all of them have more balls than any spanish player ever born, based on what you say that this Spain can be compared to 2006's Italy?

When I think about Europe in the last 4 years I see the most ridiculous european champion ever trying to cross the world and having their ass kicked by the americans.

Now I see they cheating to beat Paraguay and celebrating the fact that while everyone is getting yellow cards, they're giving yellow and red cards.

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
Now I see they cheating to beat Paraguay
lol... Spain have 2 denied pen in this match (Alonso Goal and cesc feet block by GK) and some people still can call they cheating yet they feel teams which helped by controversial disallowed goal have no sins. Congratulations for already proving yourself as hypocrite sir... Whatever... As long Mueller being a top scorer, I'm happy. :star:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

Way to copy my post ;)

Seriously I'm not trying to claim spain didn't deserve win or hasn't been effective as hell. But stop with the bs of "beautiful football" and that its any different than other efficient result oriented sides. Doesn't make spain any worse but the arrogance of some pronouncing them 'greater' than past pragmatic teams is just bs.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
lol... Spain have 2 denied pen in this match (Alonso Goal and cesc feet block by GK) and some people still can call they cheating yet they feel teams which helped by controversial disallowed goal have no sins. Congratulations for already proving yourself as hypocrite sir... Whatever... As long Mueller being a top scorer, I'm happy. :star:

I'm sorry but if you're swallowing spanish diving (lol, 2 danied penalties) I can only ask you to never be a referee. Otherwise you'll only ruin matches just like the referee from Japan and the one from Uzbequistan.

During the penalty against Spain the spanish invaded the area and the referee did nothing.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
LOL @ the haters trying to discredit Italy's triumph in 2006. I guess you are all still bitter at the taste our dicks left in your mouth? :tongue:

Italy 2006>Spain 2006-08

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
You guys forget that Xavi > Pirlo so Spain > Italy.

The real master in the middle was not even him but Iniesta... WHAT is it with this cup and ugly bald heads?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Way to copy my post ;)

Seriously I'm not trying to claim spain didn't deserve win or hasn't been effective as hell. But stop with the bs of "beautiful football" and that its any different than other efficient result oriented sides. Doesn't make spain any worse but the arrogance of some pronouncing them 'greater' than past pragmatic teams is just bs.

Well what is beautiful football? Do you expect everyone to have the same opinion as you? Who's to say what beautiful football is? A lot of people like the way spain (and barca) play, that's just the way it is... they think it's beautiful. And come on, the technique they have and the combinations they use are wonderful.

Personally I think the germans played the most beautiful football, am I bullshiting?

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
3 posts back isn't enough. Copy and paste. I didn't mean that and I don't even know where did you find it and how could you interpret like that.

Seriously? Gattuso is the only diference you see between both? Let me give you a little sum up:

Buffon is a million times better than any GK in Spain's story.
Cannavaro is a million times better than any CB in Spain's story.
Gattuso is a million times better than any any DM in Spain's story.
Pirlo is a million times better than any MC in Spain's story.
Spain NEVER HAD a fuoriclasse that can be compared to De Rossi and Totti.
And the only spanish manager who one day maybe will be abble to be compared with Lippi is Benitez, who by the way is absolutely tactically italian-minded.

Assuming that all of them have more balls than any spanish player ever born, based on what you say that this Spain can be compared to 2006's Italy?

When I think about Europe in the last 4 years I see the most ridiculous european champion ever trying to cross the world and having their ass kicked by the americans.

Now I see they cheating to beat Paraguay and celebrating the fact that while everyone is getting yellow cards, they're giving yellow and red cards.

Spain is in this final and might win it because:

Italy wasn't Italy. The only italian thing that they showed was their balls.

Brazil is already out.

Spain being in this final doesn't mean that they are glorious. Means that football will now rest but not in peace.

This is not a final, this is a funeral.

Gee im so sorry if those pearls there sounded like spain is crap overall and the only reason why they are in the final is the lack of the ''big boys''.

lolz, yeah you lost me again with the no de rossi, totti in spain stuff. As ******** as the torres, Javi Guerrero comparisons akak blatantly obvious trolling.

As for the million times better thing well umm.....,cool story bro i guess.

Although i dont really get the comparison of lippi and benitez. True benitez hasnt yet reached the failure levels of lippi (he might with inter:proud:) but doesnt that mean spain gets the point there?? Both lippi or benitez arent looking like reaching del bosque levels any time soon.

DOnt really get all the balls talk either since its the quality that matters so yeah spains quality justifies them being in the final as much as brazils quality did in 02.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gee im so sorry if those pearls there sounded like spain is crap overall and the only reason why they are in the final is the lack of the ''big boys''.

lolz, yeah you lost me again with the no de rossi, totti in spain stuff. As ******** as the torres, Javi Guerrero comparisons akak blatantly obvious trolling.

Although i dont really get the comparison of lippi and benitez. True benitez hasnt yet reached the failure levels of lippi (he might with inter:proud:) but doesnt that mean spain gets the point there?? Both lippi or benitez arent looking like reaching del bosque levels any time soon.

DOnt really get all the balls talk either since its the quality that matters so yeah spains quality justifies them being in the final as much as brazils quality did in 02.

Lol I say that Spain is in this final because didn't face a well-prepared big boy and you just suppose that:

So in short for you people winning a wc only counts when italy, brazil or milan are @ the top of their game.

Like there were only Brazil, Italy and Spain at WC. You're brilliant!

I meant Del Piero, not De Rossi. I just typed wrong.

You got really hurt with this Torres thing, didn't you? Relax dude, at least he's a good actor.

Yeah, so cool that you don't even have arguments. I bet you tried to find spanish names to compare with them but then you realized there aren't and now you're just "aaaaa... I'll be sarcastic to try to makes things look better for me and Spain".

Lippi doesn't get the level of Del Bosque? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously? A tactic genius compared with one more manager carried by Real Madrid's money? Who're going to praise now? Rikjaard?

I'm really trying to understand how some of you became Milan fans. Shouldn't you be cheering for Barcelona, Real Madrid or, I don't know, some other team who plays an outstanding football like Betis or Recreativo Hueva?

Sure you don't get the balls talk. That's why you're supporting Spain. :)

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva

great post as usual bro :cool:. Like the benitez/lippi joke too :D

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Amazing article

World Cup 2010: How a love of Spain can make for a sterile affairThe success of Spain's made-for-television style shows how far football has moved from its occasionally brutal roots

Spain will probably win the World Cup. This seems likely as they are the most predictable of all brilliantly skilled football teams. When Spain perform as they usually do – outside of the statistically freakish opening loss to Switzerland – it is tempting to say no other top team have ever come so close to being unbeatable, in the sense that winning a football match is a function of having the ball now and then and being allowed to kick it towards your opponents' goal.

Spain have kept the ball phenomenally well. And they have been the best team in other ways. Their defence are exceptional. They work and press like champions. This is all unarguable; Spain would be deserving world champions. So why the sense of slight unease?

Spain have not been "found out" in this World Cup as some predicted – and hoped – they might. They have been courageous and hearteningly true to their style. But they do still have limitations, albeit not apparently technical ones.

There is a gnawing sense of affection-deficit, of a shallowness to the emotional peaks – relative to their excellence as performers – that this Spain team will induce in anyone other than the partisan. Spain will treat you to peerless moments of collective artisanship; but they may also leave you feeling a bit cold.

The notion that Spain are a boring team has even been cautiously floated, the tedium induced by a sideways-angled possession-neurosis. It would seem more accurate to say – as Xavi did after the semi-final defeat of Germany – that the combination of Spain's style and their induced counter measures (deep defence, counterattack) can make for boring matches.

But still the feeling persists that this is an oddly frictionless excellence; that Spain play a kind of platinum-selling dinner party football – Coldplay Football – that is clearly and undeniably high spec, but also devoid of jarringly revelatory spikes and twists. Playing against Spain must feel a little like playing a chess computer: strangled, impotent, you gawp helplessly at its robotic grace.

This is to diminish unfairly the technical superiority – and unrelenting hard graft – of the Spanish players. But it is still worthy of examination, if only because Spain's peculiar strain of excellence is in part a reaction to outside forces. This is a hyper-modern style. It stands right at the frontier of what 20 years of fine macro-engineering by the game's twin governing bodies – Fifa and television – has decreed football is now going to be.

It is important to note that football has changed beyond recognition over this period. The element of concussive physicality has been decisively muted. This is no longer a violent contact sport. Watch a little of even the 1990 World Cup and you keep wondering where all the free-kicks are; how the players keep getting away with all that leaning and chopping and barging.

For more than a century this was the essential appeal of the game: moments of beauty gouged out of something unyielding and often gruesome. But you trusted entirely these rare moments of triumphant self-expression: every jink and turn by Diego Maradona at the 1986 World Cup was hard-won, brutally paid for and born out of absolute courage and commitment.:proud:

This was also unsustainable. The rule changes to punish dangerous play might have saved, not just Maradona's shins, but the late stages of his career. The clamping down on overly-physical play – what would have been a legitimate test of strength is now a foul; what would have been a foul is a yellow or red card – was designed to encourage a generation of Maradonas.

Instead, we have something else. We have Spain, the most obvious headline product of the new rules. They have freedom to play as they do. The rules of the game will protect them. The definition of what is a "foul" now extends to anything that prevents expression on the ball, rather than anything dangerous or overly strong-arm. Tactically, Spain have grasped this better than anyone else. Technically, they have the players to exploit it.

The upside of this is we get to admire their ability to manoeuvre the ball. The downside is a sense of a diminishing of the game's more gut-wrenching highs and lows, a loss of wild, 360-degree extremity. Plus, rules that were designed to promote the influence of individual skill by star players have had the opposite effect: expert group defence has replaced the old-style notion of "man-marking" (a classic man-marker would be sent off within three or four minutes). So teams will neutralise Lionel Messi by a kind of revolving collective hustle; narrowly within the rules, but creating above all a sense of constipation.

The main problem, though, is that Spain's displays of extreme technical ability are cheapened. It is hard to trust entirely their moments of excellence. The Dutch team of the 1970s was challenged by, and forced to navigate, the overriding physicality of the times. Pelé was first and foremost a great rippling bull of a man, both the most skilful and the most brutally treated player on the field.

The challenge for Spain is more straightforward; it involves simply imposing superior technique and movement, cradled within the righteous embrace of the referee. This is hardly their fault; but it is no surprise some might find it less than compelling.

In the end perhaps it all comes down to modes of consumption. Spain's is a televisual style, the evolutionary fruit of 20 years of rule-tinkering and spectacle-promotion. Football's physicality, the style that still endures in the lower leagues in England, only really makes sense in the flesh. The thrilling audible crunch of physical collision does not translate to the screen.

So the game's law-makers, and promoters, have tried to give us something else, geared towards their most lucrative revenue stream. Spain demonstrate that peerless technical excellence will thrive under these conditions, and this is clearly a good thing.

But it will occasionally make for paradoxically tedious watching, with matches (outside of a mouthwatering hypothetical Spain v Spain showdown) lassoed by spoiling tactics. More than this there is a sense that the emotional notes are perhaps muted, that we crave something more flawed, a more rugged and potholed contest, less exactingly marshalled and stewarded.

We might yet get it. Perhaps this is simply a phase in Spain's rise. The current style is in many ways an anxious style, driven by fear of conceding possession. This is after all Spain's first World Cup final. If they win it, as most think they will, we might yet get to see Spain 2.0: a more direct, less mannered Spain. And one it is also a little easier to love with a sense of abandon.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Last edited:

Rex

Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't say anything was because of Ballack, infact I don't think this German team would have been so impressive if Ballack was in it. Though against Spain he might have been a better choice over Ozil

It is 'blessing in disguise' for German team (for some few youngsters especially) that Ballack wasn't in it. There is no dominant player whom being the centre of the game that may impact other youngsters could improve and develop though. And Bastian who is fielding new role since Van Gaal's Bayern sees his capability afford to transmit him turn out to be orchestrator, a playmaker..thus far he successfully get into it. Now he makes his own spotlight on the pitch of his footwork under Loew reign.

Germany 2006 when Ballack was there, I'd say was so impressive as well in terms of tactical scheme Klinsmann set up to. Ballack at that time played behind two strikers, Klose and Podolski, along Torsten Frings helped the skipper as team holding midfielder. Under Loew, the tactical scheme is so different by adding the midfield strength without reducing an attractive attacking football those youthful side afford to.

It was some kind of anti climactic display from those German youngsters, with some of 'little mistake' that Loew managed I'd say by pulling off Boateng and should have fielded Kroos on Muller position from the start.

In the end, my disappointment for the result. But in general, make my day with the future is bright awarded the most improved team during the tournament, those Germany deserves it. :)

Rex

Reaction score
Well what is beautiful football? Do you expect everyone to have the same opinion as you? Who's to say what beautiful football is? A lot of people like the way spain (and barca) play, that's just the way it is... they think it's beautiful. And come on, the technique they have and the combinations they use are wonderful.

Personally I think the germans played the most beautiful football, am I bullshiting?

;)

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It is 'blessing in disguise' for German team (for some few youngsters especially) that Ballack wasn't in it. There is no dominant player whom being the centre of the game that may impact other youngsters could improve and develop though. And Bastian who is fielding new role since Van Gaal's Bayern sees his capability afford to transmit him turn out to be orchestrator, a playmaker..thus far he successfully get into it. Now he makes his own spotlight on the pitch of his footwork under Loew reign.

Germany 2006 when Ballack was there, I'd say was so impressive as well in terms of tactical scheme Klinsmann set up to. Ballack at that time played behind two strikers, Klose and Podolski, along Torsten Frings helped the skipper as team holding midfielder. Under Loew, the tactical scheme is so different by adding the midfield strength without reducing an attractive attacking football those youthful side afford to.

It was some kind of anti climactic display from those German youngsters, with some of 'little mistake' that Loew managed I'd say by pulling off Boateng and should have fielded Kroos on Muller position from the start.

In the end, my disappointment for the result. But in general, make my day with the future is bright awarded the most improved team during the tournament, those Germany deserves it. :)

I agree to an extent about Ballack's absence being a blessing in disguise, but mainly from a tactical point of view. I think having Khedira's dynamism instead of a static Ballack made all the difference to how Germany played in the earlier matches, both with and without the ball. In possession, Khedira provided extra movement, tirelessly creating space even when he was never likely to receive a pass, and occasionally creating havoc with bursts into the opposition box. When the Germans lost possession, Khedira's boundless energy was vital to the way he and Schweinsteiger pressed the ball. Ballack no longer has the legs for any of that.

However, I think Germany could have used Ballack against Spain. Khedira was largely ineffective, mainly because Spain's midfield are just so fucking clever in possession. Then when Germany got on the ball, the midfield was so packed that it was impossible for Khedira to carry out his usual task of creating space for his teammates. As a result, Schweinsteiger - who was a little bit short of his imperious best - was forced to take on too much responsibility, even for him. Had Ballack been playing, I just think Germany could have held their shape better, as well as being much more composed in possession. This was one occasion on which I felt that the youngsters needed Ballack's presence and experience.

I'm possibly not a great judge of this issue though, being a self-confessed Ballack fanboy. :tongue:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Is it just me that's been impressed and surprised by Mertesacker throughout the tournament? He looks to have really grown into himself and become a more composed, more rounded player.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Is it just me that's been impressed and surprised by Mertesacker throughout the tournament? He looks to have really grown into himself and become a more composed, more rounded player.

I didn't get impressed because I was expecting it from him.

He's the kind of player that people think that sucks only because can't run very fast.

Schedule