Mexico - USA

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
fifaworldcup.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mexico and USA - "local derby" statistics

"USA versus Mexico, it's like Germany versus the Netherlands." Thus spake Landon Donovan ahead of the "local derby" between the two teams in the last 16.
Despite sharing common geography and equally enthusiastic fans, Mexico and USA took very different paths to get into the round of 16.

The Mexicans were the somewhat unexpected winners of Group G, finishing three points ahead of Italy, who were hot favourites. Two victories and a draw gave them seven points and a ticket for the second round.

The US, on the other hand, after an amazing start against Portugal, stumbled in the final match against Poland, losing 1:3 and only qualifying for the second round with Korea's help. A win, a defeat and a draw gave them four points, good enough for second place in Group D, even though they had a negative goal difference, scoring five and conceding six.

Javier Aguirre's Mexico used 16 players in their opening matches, ten of whom were involved in all three games, with six of them playing every minute.

USA have used 18 players up until now, half of them featuring in all three group matches but only four - Brad Friedel, Frankie Hejduk, John O'Brien and Tony Saneh - playing every one of the 270 minutes. Friedel is the only goalkeeper to have saved two penalties already.

Equality reigns up front for the US, with five different players having scored for them in the group stages, whilst Jared Borgetti, with two goals, is Mexico's top scorer.

Mexico is fifth in terms of tackles, having made 152 in the first round, 46 of them (26%) being fouls. 37.4% of American tackles (49 of 131) were blown up by the referee.

Cuauhtemoc Blanco is not only Mexico's star striker, he is also one of the most-fouled players at this FIFA World Cup™;. Only four other people have been brought down more often than Blanco, who has already been fouled 37 times.

Maybe Frankie Hejduk will be assigned to look after him. The Bayer Leverkusen defender is USA's strongest man-marker and already has 25 tackles and two yellow cards to his name.

Everything points to an exciting game, and if the statistics are anything to go by, the US will be out for revenge. The Americans have won nine and drawn nine of their 47 games against Mexico, losing on 29 occasions. Clint Mathis and his team-mates will be looking to set the record straight...

scharatz

Milan Icon
Reaction score
usa played a great game! :eek:
(and if I say it was great that means it WAS great! ;) )

i voted for usa but i wasn't really expecting them to win. i was hoping because i don't like mexico much.

where are you seamus? :)

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
What a game for the US, we played great! :D :D :D Bruce Arena has done such a great job coaching them. On to the Elite Eight! I think we played our best game of the cup, only problem is a lot of player picked up yellow cards. No matter Germany, has a couple of players out with reds. Can't wait for the Germany/USA game!!!

Schedule