Riccardo Montolivo Thread

How do you like Montolivo?

• Total voters

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
i'd prefer Monty to play further up forward to link up the mids with Zlatan and let TS do the deep-lying playmaking.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
i'd prefer Monty to play further up forward to link up the mids with Zlatan and let TS do the deep-lying playmaking.

eh, boateng does a great job in final 3rd.

We need someone with extremely high work rate, quick touches and movement in final 3rd region, considering zlatan and cassano's style.

for me it's somewhat irrelevant if montolivo is RCM/LCM or DM. It's more in context of who the other 2 mids are and how the three effectively play together, if you follow.

you're always going to want your best passer in the heart of midfield, in center, which anchor role is. More touches. More dangerous touches, so they need to be trustworthy.

And montolivo is no defensive liability persay. Wins way more tackles/interceptions than our midfield.

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez
I DEFINITELY think he's better than Aquilani.

----------------Boateng------------------
---Hernanes(Seedorf)------Asamoah(Gattuso)
-------------Montolivo(Pirlo)------------------

I'd be VERY happy

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Our saviour in the MF it looks. He probably will be our best player in the midfield except the CAM position

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
eh, boateng does a great job in final 3rd.

We need someone with extremely high work rate, quick touches and movement in final 3rd region, considering zlatan and cassano's style.

for me it's somewhat irrelevant if montolivo is RCM/LCM or DM. It's more in context of who the other 2 mids are and how the three effectively play together, if you follow.

you're always going to want your best passer in the heart of midfield, in center, which anchor role is. More touches. More dangerous touches, so they need to be trustworthy.

And montolivo is no defensive liability persay. Wins way more tackles/interceptions than our midfield.
i think i worded it wrong. :tongue:

i meant he can be the person who will get the ball forward to Zlatan, Cassano, Boateng... etc. from midfield. i say this because the only other player who can pass the ball forward in a tight situation is Aquilani and maybe an on-form Muntari. for example, in the 3-1 against Barca, we were really struggling to get the ball forward to our strikers and Boateng .

just saying it'll be nice to have an option of getting the ball directly to Zlatan's feet with a short pass from midfield rather than relying on long balls from defense or forcing him to come deeper into midfield in most of the big games we played.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
i think i worded it wrong. :tongue:

i meant he can be the person who will get the ball forward to Zlatan, Cassano, Boateng... etc. from midfield. i say this because the only other player who can pass the ball forward in a tight situation is Aquilani and maybe an on-form Muntari. for example, in the 3-1 against Barca, we were really struggling to get the ball forward to our strikers and Boateng .

just saying it'll be nice to have an option of getting the ball directly to Zlatan's feet with a short pass from midfield rather than relying on long balls from defense or forcing him to come deeper into midfield in most of the big games we played.

ah ok.

Yeah thing is, in those games where we couldn't, they pressed our anchor to death. MVB/Ambro. V, Juve Arsenal, barca etc.

And it was mvb/ambrosini's inability to effectively play it forward which hurt just as much as mezzalas.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
ah ok.

Yeah thing is, in those games where we couldn't, they pressed our anchor to death. MVB/Ambro. V, Juve Arsenal, barca etc.

And it was mvb/ambrosini's inability to effectively play it forward which hurt just as much as mezzalas.
agree, tho i believe the burden on the anchor to distribute the ball would be less if we had a more creative CM playing (like Clarence in the first leg vs Barca).

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
ah ok.

This is partially why I like the idea of Aquilani at RCM and Montolivo at CM.

I don't think you absolutely have to have a pure destroyer in your midfield, but guys like Nocerino that contribute absolutely nothing defensively is not a sound alternitive. Rather, I would like to have three midfielders that contribute defensively but also have the ability to hold onto possession.

Aquilani-Montolivo-Hernanes would be awesome, IMO. You don't have to play them together in every match, but their ability to create and defend equally well would be a fantastic reversal from what we've seen over the last four.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
New CDM of course. He was quite good when playing that role for Viola right after Rossi came in.

And the simple fact of putting a creative player in that position is gonna make our game look quite a bit better.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
New CDM of course. He was quite good when playing that role for Viola right after Rossi came in.

And the simple fact of putting a creative player in that position is gonna make our game look quite a bit better.

Less technical than Pirlo but IMO a huge step up in defense/physicality in that position, it just might work if the other 2 CMs are good

acmilan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Montolivo loves to play along his best friend Melo. So lets get him and also we can get Krasic.

Kingmilan

Legendary
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gigi Buffon-Alessandro Nesta-Prince Boateng-Mario Balotelli-Ricky Montolivo-Stephan El Shaarawy
Montolivo is a great signing . I think most people are underestimating this transfer because its a free one . Montolivo will add so much to milan . Plus he can play pretty much all 4 positions in the midfield . I would defenetly play him in the pirlo position , right infront of the D .

Last edited:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
:proud: i like this .. another who can defend :star: and he can run and pass too . young

strootman and hernanes too :D

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
---strooty
aqua---monty

barca who? :o

or
----monty
strooty--noce

milan style. :proud:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Montolivo is a great signing . I think most people are underestimating this transfer because its a free one . Montolivo will add so much to milan . Plus he can play pretty much all 4 positions in the midfield . I would defenetly play him in the pirlo position , right infront of the D .

I would say all 3, hes pretty terrible at CAM

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Totti, Nesta, Federer, Raikkonen..
Montolivo arrived at Milano !
He will undergo the medical check-ups both today or tomorrow !

Benvenuto Riccardo!!

Hondayum

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, Maldini, Sheva, Rino, Pirlo, Nesta, Kaka, Pippo, Baggio, Vieri, Totti
From Milanello Twitter:

The first part of Montolivo's medical check-ups at the hospital in Busto Arsizio just ended. He will now go to #Milanello.

Ultra Swan

.,.foREVer.,.
Reaction score
Fav. Players
AC Milan
So Milan now has models, psychos, old people, children, a nazi, an atheist and Mesbah... Are we missing anyone?

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Totti, Nesta, Federer, Raikkonen..
Montolivo has just started the 2nd part of his medical check-ups at Milanello !

Is very close to signing with Milan....

voom

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome Monty hope that he show his quality in Milan.

Campione

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Pirlo, Maldini, Baresi, Donadoni, Suarez
Written 14-12-2006, 13:41
I don't think Montolivo is a defensive midfielder, he will be a good replacement for Seedorf. About the news, since I don't read the news in Channel4, I don't think the news is correct..

5 years to late but better late than never.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
I have been compared to him already on this forum....... in likenss anyway:lol:

Have high hopes for Riccardo, and he really has that traditional Milan look:thumbsup:

Still hoping Aquaman remains with us too, would be fantastic!

Schedule