Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
Meh, I like Aquilani as a player, but he has done nothing this season to deserve a call up. Players like Motta, Marchisio, Nocerino, Pirlo and even Montolivo did much much more to get the call.

But why Giaccherini is called up is a complete mystery to me. He maybe had two or three good games this whole year.

His form pre-injury? And you can name a few others, but don't say all called up mids are better picks than Aquilani.

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
As much as I would like to see him start... there is no way Abate will play over Maggio. At least not at the Euro. And I think Maggio deserves starting spot more than Abate.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Inshallah abate starts over maggio, it'll make spain/croatia/ireland jobs much easier.

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
Azzuri will win it, regardless of who's at RB spot :tongue:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
please take out pir lo .. so that i can enjoy the tourney :D

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I want to see Abate start so I can see this elite defensive ability he has. It one thing to play with Nesta and Silva in backline with Gattuso covering for you but it another to play with Bonucci, Barzagli or Chiellini.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
@Dhorasoo - Giaccherini is mostly for pace, I assume. There's no one there who can give width and pace.

My god what a crappy and random collection. Italy continue being unattractive since the confederations cup 2009. And no, it's not because of the pool of players, it's because of the terrible selections.

Prandelli has been doing a weird job so far.

My thoughts exactly.

Fanboy :D

Every midfielder in this list has had a better season than Aquilani. Very justifiable omission.

It is a solid squad, classic underdogs this time, but that's a situation that works very well for Italy.

The one guy I'd have liked to see in the squad was Quagliarella.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
His form pre-injury? And you can name a few others, but don't say all called up mids are better picks than Aquilani.

I would've liked Aquilani in the selection, and I agree his form pre-injury was good, but nothing out of the extraordinary. The last few months he has done absolutely nothing and looked terribly out of form. And I guess that's the reason why Prandelli didn't call him up.

The calls are based on merits, not name. Something I root for.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
i would've liked aquilani in the selection, and i agree his form pre-injury was good, but nothing out of the extraordinary. The last few months he has done absolutely nothing and looked terribly out of form. And i guess that's the reason why prandelli didn't call him up.

The calls are based on merits, not name. Something i root for.

+1

Fiero

Reaction score
I am willing to bet Italy will have a terrible Euros. Prandelli has been very average IMO.

Many of his call-ups (not just the recent one) are puzzling, and his tendency to use a midget forward partnership instead of a classic CF so that he wouldn't be a 'reference point' annoys me, so does using Montolivo and Giovinco at the tip of the midfield diamond.

Fanboy :D

Every midfielder in this list has had a better season than Aquilani. Very justifiable omission.

I highly doubt that. Though I am not sure so I'll ask you this: Has Cigarini, Diamanti, Schelotto, and Verratti had better seasons than Aquilani? I haven't watched them enough to judge.

I like Diamanti but is he really NT material? And I'm aware that Schelotti is a winger. Plus Giac's inclusion is just inexplicable.

Another thing to take into consideration is that Aquilani has been a part of the NT setup over the last 2 years. It really makes no sense to exclude him now and include a majority of new faces right before the tournament. Prandelli is still stuck on basing selections over form, while NT's like Germany and Netherlands have proven that running the NT like club football works best.

It is a solid squad, classic underdogs this time, but that's a situation that works very well for Italy.

I really think it's an incredibly average squad. The defense is just okay. The midfield is quality and has interesting options, but there's no one to play at the tip of the diamond. Montolivo isn't at his best there. But a combination of Pirlo, Motta, De Rossi, Marchisio, and Montolivo is definitely class no doubt. And the attack is definitely the worst I've seen in Italy's NT since I started watching football.

The one guy I'd have liked to see in the squad was Quagliarella.

Quagliarella, Matri, Pepe, Mauri, Aquilani, maybe Poli, maybe Ledesma.

The calls are based on merits, not name. Something I root for.

What about guys like Ranocchia, Giac, and Borini? Hell even Cassano and Balotelli were called up based on their name. Cassano is just back since October and Balotelli hasn't been regularly playing + broke the 'code of ethics' but I guess now when it's Euros time there it's not taken into consideration. ;)

But don't get me wrong, I'm 100% pro Cassano's inclusion, I'm just negating your argument.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
As I said earlier, Giaccherini is the only one in that squad who can provide ample width and pace.

I don't understand why you're even asking whether the others you listed had a better seasons than Aquilani. They are all key players in their respective teams. I wasn't convinced by Schelotto to be fair - they just keep saying he has amazing potential, but I havent seen it on the field. The rest have had solid seasons. Verratti is one for the future.

Also out of the players whom you've mentioned, only Cigarini plays in the same position as Aquilani. So I don't even see the comparison.

This is the 32-men squad. It is a tremendously young squad which will have no expectations. I like that.

Matri, seriously? He tried his best to ruin Juve's scudetto run with his misses. Mauri might have off-field issues related to Calcioscommesse. Let us see. Poli has played way too little.

Aquilani has played less and havent looked impressive bar his first few matches. There is nothing to suggest that he'll do well in the Euros.

Fiero

Reaction score
As I said earlier, Giaccherini is the only one in that squad who can provide ample width and pace.

Pepe is better and had a far better season.

Also out of the players whom you've mentioned, only Cigarini plays in the same position as Aquilani. So I don't even see the comparison.

I know but you're the one who generalized and said all midfielders. :tongue: So you rather Cigarini than Aquilani?

Matri, seriously? He tried his best to ruin Juve's scudetto run with his misses.

Name me a better Italian CF currently. They're all shit, yes. But a CF is a must. At least on the bench in case Balotelli doesn't score/gets sent off/doesn't bother showing up.

Going to the Euros with a bunch of midgets and Balotelli is suicide. Plus Maggio and Criscito/Balzaretti are crying for a CF.

Aquilani has played less and havent looked impressive bar his first few matches. There is nothing to suggest that he'll do well in the Euros.

He's still a quality player to have on the bench. Much better than Nocerino (fuck the 10 goals, he's not going to run into the box for Italy and apart from that he does nothing else) and Cigarini.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
1. Of course I'd rather play Cigarini than Aquilani. Apart from their better seasons, Cigarini has great vision as well. I really like him as a player.

2. That's the style Prandelli plays. I see nothing wrong with the lack of a CF. Many teams play without a tall CF. Why pick a Prima Punta just for namesake if he's not gonna play with one at all? Throughout qualifying, it has been like this.

3. Pepe is someone who has played for Nazionale and sucked enough. Failed experiment.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
What about guys like Ranocchia, Giac, and Borini? Hell even Cassano and Balotelli were called up based on their name. Cassano is just back since October and Balotelli hasn't been regularly playing + broke the 'code of ethics' but I guess now when it's Euros time there it's not taken into consideration. ;)

But don't get me wrong, I'm 100% pro Cassano's inclusion, I'm just negating your argument.

You're right about Rannocchia, somehow I missed him on the list. But I'm 100% sure he's the first to go, together with Astori. Only 8 defenders will remain (Maggio, Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Ogbonna, Criscito, Balzaretti/Bocchetti).

Cassano? Impressed way more since his come back than Aquilani. He contributed in a significant way in the last games of the season, whereas Aquilani was just not his usual self. Out of form and uninspired. Whereas Cassano looked motivated and hungy. His form increased rapidly game after game, he'll peak in the EURO's. That's why he's there.

Balotelli? Maybe not a starter this season, he has harsh competition, but he had a good overall season. He was pretty decisive in Man City's title with his role as super sub. Which Italian striker should've been called up instead? Did Pazzini have a better season? No. Gilardino? No. Amauri? Hell, no. Matri? Good season, but better? Doubtfull. Right choice to call Balotelli IMO.

Most Italian strikers had a bad season, hence a good choice to call up youngsters who have played a good season, they're motivated, eager to impress: Borini and Destro deserve it, although I think one will be scratched from the list (Destro).

6 or 7 midfielders will remain on that list: Pirlo, Marchisio, Nocerino, Montolivo, De Rossi, Motta and maybe Schellotto for width (or else, Cigarini). All deserve it more than Aquilani IMO. Heck, even Rigoni (Novara) or Pinzi would've deserved a call up, they have performed consistantly this season.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Borini will be off. Destro will remain. That's my guess.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Going to the Euros with a bunch of midgets and Balotelli is suicide. Plus Maggio and Criscito/Balzaretti are crying for a CF.
QUOTE]

100% :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Whats the point of having full backs good for their crossing game when you dont have a presence upfront?

Fiero

Reaction score
1. Of course I'd rather play Cigarini than Aquilani. Apart from their better seasons, Cigarini has great vision as well. I really like him as a player.

I really doubt he'll make the final 23, and even if did I hardly see him featuring.

2. That's the style Prandelli plays. I see nothing wrong with the lack of a CF. Many teams play without a tall CF. Why pick a Prima Punta just for namesake if he's not gonna play with one at all? Throughout qualifying, it has been like this.

Yeah it's a style I don't like. :tongue: I don't mind no classic CF's but I don't appreciate the support striker fetish. In a forward pairing, a support striker has to partner either a classic CF or an out and out striker. Balo is one but the rest are midget support strikers. Should have called up either Matri or Quagliarela or both. And he has used Matri and Pazzini in the qualifications. Needless to say, Pazzini already made everything possible not to be included.

Also thankfully G. Rossi is going to miss the tournament. I know you like him, but I don't. :tongue:

Prandelli is kind of trying to pull a guardiola by using no one in the box, but at least he still has Balotelli. guardiola went full ****** and it cost him the league and the CL. Never go full ******. :lol:

3. Pepe is someone who has played for Nazionale and sucked enough. Failed experiment.

Agreed. Still rather him than Giac though.

Fiero

Reaction score
You're right about Rannocchia, somehow I missed him on the list. But I'm 100% sure he's the first to go, together with Astori. Only 8 defenders will remain (Maggio, Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Ogbonna, Criscito, Balzaretti/Bocchetti).

Cassano? Impressed way more since his come back than Aquilani. He contributed in a significant way in the last games of the season, whereas Aquilani was just not his usual self. Out of form and uninspired. Whereas Cassano looked motivated and hungy. His form increased rapidly game after game, he'll peak in the EURO's. That's why he's there.

Balotelli? Maybe not a starter this season, he has harsh competition, but he had a good overall season. He was pretty decisive in Man City's title with his role as super sub. Which Italian striker should've been called up instead? Did Pazzini have a better season? No. Gilardino? No. Amauri? Hell, no. Matri? Good season, but better? Doubtfull. Right choice to call Balotelli IMO.

Most Italian strikers had a bad season, hence a good choice to call up youngsters who have played a good season, they're motivated, eager to impress: Borini and Destro deserve it, although I think one will be scratched from the list (Destro).

6 or 7 midfielders will remain on that list: Pirlo, Marchisio, Nocerino, Montolivo, De Rossi, Motta and maybe Schellotto for width (or else, Cigarini). All deserve it more than Aquilani IMO. Heck, even Rigoni (Novara) or Pinzi would've deserved a call up, they have performed consistantly this season.

Yeah you misunderstood my point, I wasn't arguing against Cassano's and Balotelli's call-ups.

Nocerino doesn't deserve to make the 23-man IMO. And I don't want Aquilani instead of him, he just doesn't deserve to be called up period.

Guess I'm biased towards Aquilani but most of the selections are shit and he could have made it.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yeah you misunderstood my point, I wasn't arguing against Cassano's and Balotelli's call-ups.

Nocerino doesn't deserve to make the 23-man IMO. And I don't want Aquilani instead of him, he just doesn't deserve to be called up period.

Guess I'm biased towards Aquilani but most of the selections are shit and he could have made it.

IMO there aren't any better alternatives than the players Prandelli called up. The team has potential, but it's definitely not the best team in the competition. I just hope Italy confirms their reputation as a team that grows in the tournament, and forget about the 2010 disaster.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I really doubt he'll make the final 23, and even if did I hardly see him featuring.

Irrelevant, as we were discussing his merits to be in the 32 viz-a-viz Aquilani.

Yeah it's a style I don't like. :tongue: I don't mind no classic CF's but I don't appreciate the support striker fetish. In a forward pairing, a support striker has to partner either a classic CF or an out and out striker. Balo is one but the rest are midget support strikers. Should have called up either Matri or Quagliarela or both. And he has used Matri and Pazzini in the qualifications. Needless to say, Pazzini already made everything possible not to be included.

I'd much rather this style than have a useless CF around. A useless CF is the worst thing to see in football. Matri sucks.

Also thankfully G. Rossi is going to miss the tournament. I know you like him, but I don't. :tongue:

Not really. I dont like him actually. What gave you the reverse impression?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Del Piero's 2nd vs Germany from a player-cam and overhead-cam angle. Fascinating to watch. 1:!8 onwards

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
milan have been on his tale.

unsure where he'd fit in allegri's system...

incredibly intriguing prospect.

His ball control, and play thru midfield (minus long balls), really reminds me a lot of iniesta.

Last edited:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He seems to have great vision for someone that young, plus significantly more aggressive/physical than Pirlo.

But Juve have almost tied him up already. No chance for us.

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Looking at that video, I wonder what will happen with Insigne and Immobile. Im sort of hopping that if Lavezzi leaves Napoli that Insigne get a chance at Napoli

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
He seems to have great vision for someone that young, plus significantly more aggressive/physical than Pirlo.

But Juve have almost tied him up already. No chance for us.

where are you reading that?

His ball control is outrageous. Another non-pirlo attribute. Watch him dribble and tell me you don't see iniesta-like control.
Those qualities had been observed in the player by Milan’s scouts as early as 2008, during the player’s first year on the books of Pescara’s youth team. After a one-day trial, the Rossoneri offered Verratti a contract, only for it to be turned down by the then 15-year-old, who did not yet feel ready to leave his hometown club.

Milan never abandoned their interest, while others such as Inter, Roma and Udinese have since joined the chase, but Verratti’s preference this summer is for Juventus, the team he supported as a boy. The Bianconeri were reported to have agreed personal terms with the player as long ago as March, but have thus far failed to reach agreement with Pescara, who are said to be value the player as high as €8m and would prefer a co-ownership arrangement to any immediate sale.

It would not surprise me if we try again though. We love to pay for serie B players.

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Its has been many reports about Verrati heading towards Juventus. The deal hasnt been struck mainly because Pescara is asking alot of money for him (romoured around 10 milion €)

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pescara's official confirmed the rumours today - Pescara dS Daniele Delli Carri:“There are negotiations taking place with Juventus for Verratti"

He'll be expensive, hence probably gonna be a co-ownership deal of some kind. Juve have enough good youth to give away as well. Notably Ciro Immobile, who can simply stay at Pescara.