Carlo Ancelotti Thread

So, should Mourinho come to Milan?

• Total voters

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Seems like he just didn't manage to own the dressing room like he did here or in Madrid. Germany is a lot different to southern Europe, I imagine the coaching style would be very different. Whatever he did tactically must have been secondary in how it ended up imo

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
I can't help but feel I would love to have Carlo back.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
kicker.de going all out on him :lol:

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Thats an accomplishment.

I dont expect any accomplishments from Montella

^ this is hilarious and logically sound

General approved post

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ues-run-deeper-than-carlo-ancelotti-nkcttg537

Very good read. You might need to sign up so I'm gonna post the important bit here:

And so the club offered a three-pronged explanation. They said performances had been disappointing, they said Ancelotti’s methods — both in training and in terms of tactics — were antiquated and lacking in intensity and they said five senior players had turned against him.

The performance argument is going to be subjective. Aesthetics aside, the degree to which you can use data to measure Bayern’s performances suggests that not much has changed or, if anything, matters had improved slightly. Expected goals were up (2.37 per game this season from 2.23 last season), expected goals conceded were down (0.80 from 0.83). Considering that the side lost two key veterans — Philipp Lahm and Xabi Alonso — to retirement and that important players like Manuel Neuer, David Alaba and Jérôme Boateng were injured for at least half the matches thus far, you wonder how terrible it could have been. Or, at least, how different from last season.

The charge of antiquated training and tactics is even more problematic. Not only did Bayern know what they were getting when they hired Ancelotti, they got to see him up close for 14 months before sacking him. If that really was the problem, why not sack him in the summer and bring in a replacement?

Assuming he did not suddenly decide to go retro this summer — perhaps bringing back medicine balls and ten-mile runs while taking naps during sessions — you wonder why it took them so long to notice what his methods are and even longer to figure out that they didn’t like them. Of all the reasons given, this seems to be the weakest. Or at least the one that ought to shift blame back on the club.

Uli Hoeness, the Bayern president, suggested that Ancelotti had lost the trust of the club’s leaders in the dressing room. “As a manager, you can’t have the prominent players in your team against you,” he told a German radio station on Thursday night. “I’ve learned an important lesson in life: your most dangerous enemy is the one right there in your bed. That’s why we had to act.”

German media quickly speculated that Hoeness was referring to the likes of Arjen Robben, Franck Ribéry, Thomas Müller and Boateng. It’s certainly plausible. Robben and Ribéry will be 34 and 35 respectively by the season’s end. Müller endured his worst season as a professional last year and Boateng missed much of 2016-17 through injury. Part of Ancelotti’s appeal, historically, was his ability to extract the best from veteran superstars and extend their careers: apparently, with this quartet, he had come up short. In fact, cut through the party line and there’s a much deeper dysfunctionality at this club, one that goes beyond the lack of joined-up thinking with regards to Ancelotti’s style and that — if it was really so inadequate — it should have been dealt with in the summer.

The bigger misstep is in how the transition and rejuvenation of this squad has been handled. Robben and Ribéry are out of contract in June. That two guys of that age who clearly aren’t part of the club’s future should wield so much power to get a manager axed is tough to swallow.

Throw in Neuer, Boateng, Müller, Robert Lewandowski, Mats Hummels, Rafinha, Javi Martínez and Arturo Vidal and you have ten players aged 28 or over, which suggests Bayern’s window of opportunity for success is closing. That means you either stick with it and go all-in, perhaps with further short-term investment, or you plan for the future.

Bayern got stuck somewhere in between this summer, possibly because, from the outside, the club’s two-headed leadership structure — Hoeness and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the chief executive and Ancelotti’s biggest backer — often appear to act at cross purposes. They added promising players who are still raw (such as Niklas Süle), blue-collar midfielders (Corentin Tolisso and Sebastian Rudy) and a star-crossed gamble/reclamation project in James Rodríguez.

Ancelotti’s pleas to pick a strategy and either usher out the veterans and rebuild or add instant quality (such as Alexis Sánchez) to win straight away were not heeded. And all this played out against a backdrop that saw Bayern’s peers spend big while their transfer record — the £37 million spent on Tolisso — ranks 64th all-time, a fact that Lewandowski alluded to in an uncomfortable interview with Der Spiegel last month.

Willy Sagnol, Ancelotti’s club-appointed assistant, takes over until the end of the season. They will still be competitive — there is too much talent there — but what’s obvious is that some serious forward-planning is now required. And that goes beyond simply chasing a flavour-of-the-month manager, such as Julian Nagelsmann or Thomas Tuchel. Without a clear idea from the top, and the courage to execute at the right time, you’re only going to get so far. Just as you can only spin justifications for your actions to a certain point.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Seems like he just didn't manage to own the dressing room like he did here or in Madrid. Germany is a lot different to southern Europe, I imagine the coaching style would be very different. Whatever he did tactically must have been secondary in how it ended up imo

Bayern shouldn´t be a complete shock in mentality though, it´s not northern Germany. It probably comes down to personal differences with some players, Ribery is some kind of troublemaker anyway for example.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
just found this pic from the past

GettyImages-2038458.jpg

ohh thank you so much .. all the glory in the past always bring the joy :proud:

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Carleto's Milan version 17/18

Donna
Musa-Bonucci-Roma-Rodriguez
Kessie-Çalha-Bona
Suso
Silva-Kalinic

Biglia would play a lot since he is in his 30's and Carleto likes a bit of that.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Diamond midfield yes ples

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
“Just like the old days.” the portly silver haired gaffer sighed as he gathered a moment in the locker room before heading out. He chewed his gum obsessively, and even more so tonight because he knew the refurbished home bench still stank of the stale cigarettes of his predecessor. He tried not to smoke during games, but he wished he had a cigarette now if only to have something to do with his hands.

He was fidgeting, not just because it was the first home game and expectations were high, but also because he felt somewhat guilty for leaving his old club in the lurch when they called out to him as their saviour twice, in 2015 and again some months ago. He thought he had done the right thing making polite excuses like he was waiting for La Nazionale, or that he needed time off for himself. "The time is not right." he crooned "I need time for me" and "it's not you, it's me." It was like rejecting an old lover. "In Italy: only Milan, or Roma eternamente." He lied.

Now he was coach of Napoli, which didn't make much sense, except maybe he could say the coke was better. It was Maradona-quality coke. Although no one would buy that he was a cokehead. Not with his stout barrel-like torso and his withered face which made him look like a wizened consultant plastic surgeon who only came alive in the operating theatre, fingers dancing like prime Britney in perfectly timed thrusts and twirls while expertly negotiating a facelift, but with no desire to lift his own mug which was fixed in a rather constipated hangdog expression.

It wasn't just a smidgen of guilt now was it? Maybe it was a tinge of regret.

It didn't help that here in the stands was Paolo Maldini, eternally handsome although somewhat older and dressed in a suit. To him Paolo would always look like the 18 year-old who was already a full 2 season veteran when they first played together. “Young man” he laughed to himself, fully aware that they were all so much older. Paolo looked good in any and all clothes, as if he was molten, smouldering charisma poured piping hot into his Versace threads.

Next to Paolo would surely be Leonardo who he had managed briefly. He also worked with Leonardo when they were in Paris together. Charming, persistent, with a dogged determination. Could be vicious too when required. Knowing Leonardo as he did, he knew that elbow on Tab Ramos in 1994 was no accident. Better to be on Leo's side than against him.

And on the opposite bench, Rino Gattuso, erstwhile pitbull terrier in his magical midfield of a day long gone. This was something that was not quite obvious, Rino being coach of Milan. Salernitana: si, Rangers: senza dubbio. Milan? Never in a million years. And yet here he was. Student squaring off against Master. Rino never struck him as being that intelligent although he was careful to say otherwise during interviews. He did not want Rino coming up to him and slapping him, avere un diavolo per capello. Actually, he recalled Rino would slap him just as much as a show of affection as an expression of anger. He pondered for a moment the relative dangers of swallowing a lit cigarette compared to chewing gum. That devil Rino always knew how to catch him unawares. Just in case, he spat out his gum and thought better of bumming a *** from one of the ushers.

Rino's explosions aside, he knew the old boys were just as psyched about the reunion. Paolo spoke of mozzarella, Rino about pasta. He smiled thinking about it. He had a nice '97 Chianti to share with the lads over some rigatoni with bolognese sauce after the game.

"Ah" he sighed, exhaling imaginary smoke as he did sometimes when he wished he had a cigarette in his hand. "This is a Milan at which I could totally feel at home again." Alas, that ship had sailed. "Forza Milan" he exclaimed wordlessly with a twinkle in his eye. Perhaps the passion of the Napoli faithful would help him move on "Chiodo scacchia chiodo."

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
outclassed the fuck out of Gattuso in the second half. Truly the teacher teaching the student a lesson.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Juventus fans never had a good rapport with Ancelotti and aimed insults at him from the stands.

“The chants from the Juventus fans were the usual. I’ll console myself with the 2003 Champions League trophy (where his Milan beat Juve in the Final, ndr)."

Always a Milan man.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
uno di noi, not a pirla.
face-with-one-eyebrow-raised_1f928.png

Fusiproe12

Stadio Grande Silvio Berlusconi Milano
Reaction score
uno di noi, not a pirla.
face-with-one-eyebrow-raised_1f928.png

:lol: :thumbsup:

ps. "not a pirla" reminds the first Mourinho's press conference with merda when he said "io non sono pirla/i'm not a pirla" ... all the journalists were like "oohhh he knows a word of the milanese dialect :eek: is he human?"

Last edited:

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
Ancelotti: "Zidane changed everything, I built the team around him; I made him a tailor-made suit. I changed my style of football and for that I owe everything to him. I would say that Zidane and Real Madrid are the perfect couple. They are made for each other. And that’s why it will work again”

Fraudcelotti confirming who the goat is

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Fraudcelloti?

At first it felt weird but now it’s starting to roll off the tongue.

AC_Wesley

¡YA BASTA!
Staff member
Reaction score

The coach revealed that harassing Donnarumma with the ball at his feet was a pre-prepared tactic, because Ancelotti knew full well that the goalkeeper’s weakness is his technique and composure on back-passes.

the-office-dying-of-laughter.gif

But that's not all...

After that goal, the atmosphere in the stadium changed completely. The final half-hour was spectacular and it had to be, because otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to beat Paris Saint-Germain,” added Ancelotti
He was there key to elimination...

TYrZ9Cu1bjUiBm41grj4rg1Veq0CQVaAFsQY2DQ4lr375hYl67BywTsHunduqS1Gtj92N2US9BX8d_8zHYzb0y6d1wRer2iEVqYq8SezIHEvjlZMPHf9TOyeY792AvA33D5yF1cw