Tennis

Should women be paid the same sum as men in Grand Slams?

• Total voters

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
I rank Roland Garros higher than the US Open.

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Nesta, Pippo, Pirlo, De Sciglio
wimbledon is a much slower surface, seeing as how its on grass. roland garros serves up slides, and much quicker bounces. plus the taped lines make for some interesting rebounds

Last edited:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
wimbledon is a much slower surface, seeing as how its on grass. roland garros serves up slides, and much quicker bounces. plus the taped lines make for some interesting rebounds

:conf:

Do you even watch tennis?

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Wimbledon > US Open > French Open > Aussie Open.

Just saying...

In terms of 'prestige' then yeah Wimbledon is first.

Personally I like the US Open and then the Aussie better than the other two; for me tennis is meant to be played on hard courts. ;)

Last edited:

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:conf:

Do you even watch tennis?

yes i do, alot actually. ok, bad wording from my part. let me rephrase, the players are usually quicker, by that i mean there is more movement, aka slides and such. thus players such as nadal dominate. the points are longer because of the surface.

wimbledon (grass in general) is very serve oriented, and you had players like roddick and earlier ivanisevic (aka big servers) who usually did well. good for them, but for me that doesnt make for interesting viewing.

and yes, wimbledon is more prestigious, but the tennis, for me, for above reasons, is more exciting at roland garros. personal opinion mate, no need to get touchy (or patriotic)

Last edited:

Kalac#16

Milan Legend
Reaction score
yes i do, alot actually.
well think about it logically, grass absorbs bounces more than a harder surface would, thus ball goes slower. gravel=harder than grass. try playing football on a similar pitch, you'll see. bounces are faster, and less predictable.
and yes, wimbledon is more prestigious, but the tennis, for me, for above reasons, is more exciting at roland garros. personal opinion mate, no need to get touchy (or patriotic)

But, it IS faster on grass, it's just fact.

I don't get how your disagreeing.

goja

Im back baby
Reaction score
Fav. Players
But, it IS faster on grass, it's just fact.

I don't get how your disagreeing.

i didnt express myself well enough, thats why i editted, i noticed where my wording was wrong. ill concede that. my logic was based on the fact that play seems faster and more chaotic on gravel. but yes, TECHNICALLY, grass is faster.

Last edited:

Sophie

chiamato Mr X
Reaction score
Fav. Players
everyone always
I like grass court tennis best I think, because there's a bit more variety, and although the courts are slower now there's still a lot more serve-volley on grass which I like. clay courts are ok but the long rallies from the baseline can get a bit tedious.
hard courts are good, apart from the squeaking :D

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I like grass court tennis best I think, because there's a bit more variety, and although the courts are slower now there's still a lot more serve-volley on grass which I like. clay courts are ok but the long rallies from the baseline can get a bit tedious.
hard courts are good, apart from the squeaking :D

Wimbledon is getting harder and harder. The grass is much slower now, which is one of the reasons why their is less serve + volleying.

They do it because the grass lasts longer this way.

I think it was Becker who said at this years Wimbledon that in terms of speed the US Open and Wimbledon are very similar now, it's just that the ball bounces lower on grass.

saby

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
is nadal playing in it this time around? or still injured?

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
Sharapova is back! Watch out! :D

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Any good games on soon?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Federer vs Hewitt 3rd round.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players

ahonenfn

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi Kaka Ambrosini nesta Malidni Van basten Pirlo Gattuso Pato Sheva
my favourite players;federer and hewitt

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Actually, Gasquest vs Nadal in the first round.....pretty good.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
crap..

1251879989_extras_albumes_0.jpg

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I saw a bit of Gasquet vs Nadal, though the result was pretty much expected.

Safin is also out in his last US OPEN ever, as he will retire this year. Great character and a fantastic player, an underachiever despite his two Grand Slams, cause if he actually did care about tennis he would have won a few more.

THAT match where he beat Federer in the Australian Open 2005 was unreal, both of them were playing unbelievable tennis.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I hate the media, they always make me feel racist for saying i absolutely HATE serena williams (I'm indifferent to venus). But it has nothing to do with that honestly, Serena is just annoying, rude and very entitled. I'm also positive she's on steroids...

Plus she's dating 1 of my favorite rappers, common. Cmon common, thought you had better taste

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Great player but a very sore loser. If you go by what she says she probably never really lost a tennis match fair and square, it's always a case of her being only 40-50% or "gifting it" to her opponent.

Lots of people dislike her because of that, whereas Venus is well-liked by most, since she's quite gracious in defeat and a lot more respectful.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
I support Dementieva and Dokic.

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Looks as if Haas vs Verdasco is going into a fifth set. Great match btw.

Earlier, 17-year old Melanie Oudin beat Sharapova in 3 sets. In the previous round she beat Dementieva, who was the most in-form hard-court player in the world. Oudin should be winning slams in 2-3 years; apart from the obvious talent she seems extremely tough mentally.

N3d0

Allegri al Massimo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino Gattuso, Mirko Vučinić, Stevan Jovetić, Prince Boa, Stefan Savić, Noce
Earlier, 17-year old Melanie Oudin beat Sharapova in 3 sets. In the previous round she beat Dementieva, who was the most in-form hard-court player in the world. Oudin should be winning slams in 2-3 years; apart from the obvious talent she seems extremely tough mentally.

What a match! Really enjoyed it. I'm sad that Sharapova is out, but she's still rusty and I'm sure she'll be back in top form in no time.

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I think it will be very hard for S.Williams to lose this now. Apart from Sharapova, Dementieva is also out and she was probably the one with the best chance of beating her.

Safina can definitely bang, but she chokes at the big occasion every single time. Kuznetsova is solid but on this surface she doesn't have much of a chance IMO. And Venus nowadays is a major threat only on grass.

There's also Clijsters, who is a bit of an enigma. She has just returned after a two year absence and is nowhere near her best yet. However she played great in her first matches and this is a surface she likes. She plays Venus next, if she beats her then she could be a serious threat to anyone.