Week 16: Milan - Juventus 06/01/2021 20:45 CET

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The problem is that Juve have looked like a much more solid team since they moved to a basic 4-4-2 formation. This match will be a big confidence booster for them, they know they have the best squad in Italy and now they found balance so I think they are still favourites to win the league.

I can't stress how important the formation change has been for them, its like when we moved from Giampaolo to Piolis current formation. Now they have their best players playing in their favoured position: Chiesa as a winger (or right mid), as opposed to wing back, Dybala closer to goal (I never understood why previous coaches played him in midfield), CR7 also free to roam. Then you got solid players coming off the bench like McKennie... etc.

We are entering the most critical months of the season and we are looking depleted. At this stage I think we would finish 3rd behind Juve and Inter and I am fine with that. We will need reinforcements either way because I don't trust Roma and Napoli and Atalanta are also scary.

What balance? They didn't play well at all and only won because they subbed in 200m worth of players and we got tired. Had Chiesa not scored the second then i'm sure we would have at least ended the game in a draw. They are not a good team, they're just a bunch of really good players. We cut them open really easily, we just weren't lucky with the final ball. Szczesny made more saves than he has ever had in a Serie A match, against a Milan side with zero starting forwards.

We only lost this because we had half our 11 out and our subs weren't as good as theirs. Juve is really bad as a team relative to the quality of the players and if they think this win is a sign that they're back on track, well they'll be in for a big surprise whenever they're faced with a real challenge.

tschief

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Still at the top. We can laugh abt it. Perhaps Marcotti is right to laud Pirlo's thesis on every programme... it was a good plan, tire our team and later bring on the tricksters.

This plan is being enacted without anyone ever planning for it: We have so little available bench and squad depth in general, just playing against us at this current time and sometimes in the game just bring your substitutes on..

done.

its not like its a highly genius plan, because with the injuries and squad depth we have right now, we tire out regardles if you for plan it or not (as the opposing trainer) :lol:..

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Another thing, the reason Chiesa had so much space is that usually when Theo goes forward we have Kessie taking the responsibility of patrolling the LB zone. The problem is that Kessie was our only real midfielder and he had to make sure Calabria wasn't overwhelmed, so he couldn't keep an eye on Chiesa which is what he usually would have done. Calabria did great, but he did sometimes forget he was a CM and drifted out to the right a lot, which opened up a lot of space on the other side. Rebic would have been a lot more useful on the left defensively than Hauge, so that's another reason why Chiesa had so much space.

I have to comment also on that first half performance by Leao, which was incredible. Also, Hakan was a beast all game. Even though we lost I still think this was one of his best performances.

tschief

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Another thing, the reason Chiesa had so much space is that usually when Theo goes forward we have Kessie taking the responsibility of patrolling the LB zone. The problem is that Kessie was our only real midfielder and he had to make sure Calabria wasn't overwhelmed, so he couldn't keep an eye on Chiesa which is what he usually would have done. Calabria did great, but he did sometimes forget he was a CM and drifted out to the right a lot, which opened up a lot of space on the other side. Rebic would have been a lot more useful on the left defensively than Hauge, so that's another reason why Chiesa had so much space.

I have to comment also on that first half performance by Leao, which was incredible. Also, Hakan was a beast all game. Even though we lost I still think this was one of his best performances.

spot on!!!

also, rebic not playing puts huge pressure on theo, hauges / diaz' defensive contribution is just not on par and it shows..

Theo is very good for us, but its mainly to where he's being played and who plays with him...

I remember when Rebic was out at the start of Serie A, many posters here were complaining about Theo playing not l?ike his usual self.. Then Rebic came back and Theo started doing magic again.. Now rebic is out, and see what happens to theo: he's still "ok", but sooo far away from his usual form!

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
I have to comment also on that first half performance by Leao, which was incredible.

He pissed me off... in the 1st 10 or so mins he had a great chance to pass to better positioned teammate but he didnt... that was 1-0 right there... never happened.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Theo and Romagnoli really should improve defensively.

I know Romagnoli wasn't fit, but how long is that excuse going to be used?

Other than that, I was happy with how we responded. All 3 of their goals were piss poor by our defense. What can we do, we lack support from midfield and Hauge's inexperience showed today.

i doubt even romangoli will use that excuse, only you i suppose, he is been playing for 3 months now how can anyone think he is not fit.

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score

A proper CB on his side would've also provided backup for Theo, to clean up any problem Chiesa would have caused, just like Kjaer did over and over again on the right side for Dalot and penaldo.
This would've left Kessie to focus on the midfield more.

For me, Romag is almost Suso level of annoying and damaging to this team. He is holding back the full potential of what this team can achieve in defense.

Imagine what Maldini could do with his 3.5M salary and a possible sale.

Shiby

Bandwagon hopper
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weah, Albertini, Maldini, Nesta, Becks
So noone is coming back apart Tonali?

Fuck. But we got this anyways.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
Theo and Romagnoli really should improve defensively.

I know Romagnoli wasn't fit, but how long is that excuse going to be used?

Other than that, I was happy with how we responded. All 3 of their goals were piss poor by our defense. What can we do, we lack support from midfield and Hauge's inexperience showed today.

Like i said on the other post, our defensive system have big issues, Romagnoli is having trouble, is all coming down to him. I dont know why Pioli didnt fix this already.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
ErFFO7PXMAA0hyK

This should have been penalty.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Fuck Pirlo - Read his book recently - he?s a cunt

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
Fuck Pirlo - Read his book recently - he?s a cunt

You needed to read his book to realize that?

The title is all you needed to know.

"I think therefore I play".

:lol::lol::fp:

Pretentious snek.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Such a frustrating loss. A game that showed why Juve have won the Scudetto 9 seasons in a row. They have great strength in depth and this Milan team with it's injury crisis were always going to struggle.

It was such a depressing sight to see Juve bring decent players on and we had either average subs or players that have yet to prove their worth at this level.

The loss of Rebic before the game was huge with Hauge showing he is not at the required level to start. Hernandez was lazy in his defending and overall extremely poor. I wasn't expecting that after he had a game rest through suspension. Kessie valiantly tried to cover the entire midfield playing alongside Calabria in midfield.

A game to forget for many reasons. Onwards and upwards.

Forza Milan!

Schedule