Milan's Transferseason round-up

What do you make of our transfer campaign so far?

• Total voters

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
^No doubt... if we still had Shevchenko we wouldn't have to buy anyone its just noone in our team can score consistently in the league... except for Ronaldo or Favalli.

Kuzimoto

Forza Milan!!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ivan Gattuso, BOATENG, Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, Dida, Pippo, Pato, Borri, Silva, Ibra, Cassano

Dann

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Pato, Nesta, T.Silva, Sheva, Pirlo, Totti, Rino
rosso_neri said:
for me, 04/05 was the stronger than the 03/04 squad. kaka and sheva dominated in the league, i remember score lines like milan 6 - 0 fiorentina and milan 5 - 2 lecce. Not to mention having players like cafu and crespo who were in the best forms of their careers. Despite istanbul it was the best year watching milan for me. I think the 04/05 jersey is the best one to date as well.

how about 05/06 we got 80 something goals in the league, sheva had 19, gila had 17 and kaka had 14 but yeah the year we had crespo on loan we were also very strong.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, Nesta, Gerrard and Ronaldinho
i think there is no need to specify the team who were very strong in the last recent years just for one really important factor: since 02/03 we had the same team! indipendently from the players form we always played in same players so we were always strong, just to give you some sample: there were 7 players in Athens' final who played in 02/03 CL Final.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
You mean like Nesta? :o
You mean 30M Euro Nesta? Yes I would call that a inflated price for a centre back from a near bankrupt club in 2002. I'd also class £15M + Vogel for overrated Oliveira inflated. Not to mention £18M Gilardino.
San Paolo said:
^No doubt... if we still had Shevchenko we wouldn't have to buy anyone its just noone in our team can score consistently in the league... except for Ronaldo or Favalli.
Why then has the clubs management - coach and all, decided we need a defender and midfielder? You know whats better for the squad than them do you?

Aapert

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Kaka,Pippo,Gattuso,Nesta
I don't understand how our management can think that we can success with the strikers we have right now. Last season our strikers sucked hard, execpt Ronaldo . We need a god damn world class striker!.
I think that only ones we can have are Sheva or Pato and I don't see those two a good options, Pato maybe If we sign also a stiker who has proved him self as a great scorer (I don't mean sheva :) ).

rosso_neri

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Kaka, Ambrosini, Maldini, Nesta, Cassano, Crespo, Montolivo, De Rossi, Batistuta
wasn't vogel a free transfer?

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
People are freaking out too much over our transfer policy. The majority don't know how Galliani opperates. He is a shifty bloke, people need to realise this. He is obviously frustrated with the amount of pounding him and Berlusconi are getting, in this case. We will sign players. It's the invetable. Today Galliani just mentioned that we will sign a champion who is a "non-EU" player. I believe we are deadset in serious talks with Pato and that we will purchase him.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
San Paolo said:
People are freaking out too much over our transfer policy. The majority don't know how Galliani opperates. He is a shifty bloke, people need to realise this. He is obviously frustrated with the amount of pounding him and Berlusconi are getting, in this case. We will sign players. It's the invetable. Today Galliani just mentioned that we will sign a champion who is a "non-EU" player. I believe we are deadset in serious talks with Pato and that we will purchase him.
hope ur right, but calling a 17 y/o a champion is a bit too much.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
God, we're going for Drogba? :rolleyes: He'll be 31 before he adapts to Serie A :yawn:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
radioactivenerd said:
hope ur right, but calling a 17 y/o a champion is a bit too much.
Huge call. That's why I'm curious to see who this 6th player is... probably Vieiri.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tsar said:
You mean 30M Euro Nesta?
Best defender in the World, delivered two UCL titles far from a rip IMO. We probably made that money back on merchandise and prize money from the various tornaments which we've won ;)

Tsar said:
Not to mention £18M Gilardino.
Gilardino was the best young striker to emerge from Italy in recent times. Obviously it is going to cost a lot for a player who has scored 72 goals in his previous two seasons for Parma and the U21 squad, prior coming to Milan.

Tsar said:
Why then has the clubs management - coach and all, decided we need a defender and midfielder? You know whats better for the squad than them do you?
Is that also why Galliani said that we are fine the way we are about 1000 times? haha
Ammuses me how you bag out Galliani about buying noone yet you through this in my face that he wants a defender and a midfielder?

Loaning Grimi and selling players like Donati... really seems like he is keen on purchasing players for those respective positions.

Last edited:

rosso_neri

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso, Kaka, Ambrosini, Maldini, Nesta, Cassano, Crespo, Montolivo, De Rossi, Batistuta
i doubt chelsea will sell drogba

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Italian Tsar said:
God, we're going for Drogba? :rolleyes: He'll be 31 before he adapts to Serie A :yawn:

LOL :D He might be loaned back to an english club after 1 season :D

scotsman

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Van Basten, Weah, Used to like Sheva!, Kaka. Gatusso- RFC 1873
For my mind we should be trying to sign at least 3 players but it seems we are only after 1 striker and even then it's all hype to keep the fans appeased.

I reckon we need a full back as Janku is not up to it. I would definitely go for Zambrotta and I don't think he would be too costly. Then I would go for Sneijder in midfield to put pressure on Seedorf and could also allow a change of formation. Finally up front I would prefer Eto'o but he will be very expensive. After that I would go for Pato. £10m for a 17 wonderkid is not too much, considering that even if it doesn't work out too well we would still likely be able to sell him on for pretty much the same as he would have his whole career in front of him. I also think the Brazilians already at Milan would help him settle (especially Ronaldo and Kaka). Sheva for £15m for me is not good business. He is 31, has lost some pace and confidence and would have no re-sale value.

I understand that it is not always possible to sign the players we want straight away but look at Man U and Barca: they have signed their players early to allow them time to bed in to the team and this is what we should be aiming for. We will see but I doubt very much we will get more than 1 striker and even then I fear it will be only Sheva or Cassano which would be the wrong move for me.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino, Maldini, Nesta, Pippo, Weah, Flamini, T.Silva, Zidane, Gourcuff, Kaka
scotsman said:
For my mind we should be trying to sign at least 3 players but it seems we are only after 1 striker and even then it's all hype to keep the fans appeased.

I reckon we need a full back as Janku is not up to it. I would definitely go for Zambrotta and I don't think he would be too costly. Then I would go for Sneijder in midfield to put pressure on Seedorf and could also allow a change of formation. Finally up front I would prefer Eto'o but he will be very expensive. After that I would go for Pato. £10m for a 17 wonderkid is not too much, considering that even if it doesn't work out too well we would still likely be able to sell him on for pretty much the same as he would have his whole career in front of him. I also think the Brazilians already at Milan would help him settle (especially Ronaldo and Kaka). Sheva for £15m for me is not good business. He is 31, has lost some pace and confidence and would have no re-sale value.

I understand that it is not always possible to sign the players we want straight away but look at Man U and Barca: they have signed their players early to allow them time to bed in to the team and this is what we should be aiming for. We will see but I doubt very much we will get more than 1 striker and even then I fear it will be only Sheva or Cassano which would be the wrong move for me.

Totally agree.
Pato+Sneijder+Zambrotta will be very good signing and not too expensive. Plus, Pato and Sneijder are young, so it would be a good idea to think about the future and not only the next season.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
Players? Plural? Thought you said we only needed a striker?

San Paolo said:
Best defender in the World, delivered two UCL titles far from a rip IMO. We probably made that money back on merchandise and prize money from the various tornaments which we've won ;)
I never said it was a rip off, but its doesn't change the fact that the price tag was inflated due to Milan leaving the deal to the last minute. Had a cash strapped Lazio been got at earlier they would have buckled at half that amount, but leaving it to the last minute shifts the uperhand back to Lazio as they know its too late for Milan to persue alternatives by that point - hence they can ask what they want. Exactly the same with Oliveira, leave it late and the power lies with the seller, (Lopera), not the buyer, (Milan).

San Paolo said:
Gilardino was the best young striker to emerge from Italy in recent times. Obviously it is going to cost a lot for a player who has scored 72 goals in his previous two seasons for Parma and the U21 squad, prior coming to Milan.
Again it has nothing to do with the quality of player - the target. Milan still payed alot more than they had to. In that occassion though its wasn't because they left it to the last minute, but because they took so long pondering over the deal that it allowed other clubs to come into the frame, (Juve and Fiorentina), which has the same result as before - it shifts the power back in the sellers hands, (Parma). More competition for the player means the seller can jack up the price, which is what Parma did, and again Milan payed alot more because they were slow in the market.

San Paolo said:
Is that also why Galliani said that we are fine the way we are about 1000 times? haha
Ammuses me how you bag out Galliani about buying noone yet you through this in my face that he wants a defender and a midfielder?
The club tries, (and so far fails), to buy Abidal, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Tiago, Motta, Edmilson, Maresca, Riquelme, along with others... And you think all they want & need is a striker?

Its that failure to secure desired targets that makes the policy poor. You can't dispute that as its fact, doesn't matter at all if you feel those targets weren't good or indeed needed, the fact is the management did and wasn't able to sign them, therefore their policy clearly hasn't worked.

Last edited:

roy_il_diavolo

L'Avvocato
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Baggio,Rivera,MvB,Totti, Nesta, Del Piero, Buffon, Kaka
Galliani 2 goal.com said:
Milan Think Big In Search For Striker

Following a summer of inactivity, AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has made a bold statement regarding the Rossoneri’s transfer targets.

Milan recently lost out to their rivals Internazionale in their attempts to sign David Suazo, but Galliani told fans that the club will succeed in securing a world-renowned striker for next year.

In an attempt to reassure fans, the vice-president said: “One of these five non-European players that we are following will arrive. Those players are Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Drogba, Eto’o and Pato.”

WILL ARRIVE is wat he sed....!!! :D

Only possible option seems Pato...the 17 year old "champion" who cost a lot more than he probably deserves.

Or is the traitor coming back ?

RedBlackSoul

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
roy_il_diavolo said:
WILL ARRIVE is wat he sed....!!! :D

Only possible option seems Pato...the 17 year old "champion" who cost a lot more than he probably deserves.

Or is the traitor coming back ?

I just cant see Chelsea selling Sheva back this point. The only othe striker they have is Pizzaro, unless you count Kalou who is more of a support striker in my eyes. And this will be Pizzaro's first year in Premiership, so im sure it will be a difficult one. Sheva isnt leaving Chelsea, even if he wants to come back. Maybe next year, after they find a replacement.

Dann

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Pato, Nesta, T.Silva, Sheva, Pirlo, Totti, Rino
RedBlackSoul said:
I just cant see Chelsea selling Sheva back this point. The only othe striker they have is Pizzaro, unless you count Kalou who is more of a support striker in my eyes. And this will be Pizzaro's first year in Premiership, so im sure it will be a difficult one. Sheva isnt leaving Chelsea, even if he wants to come back. Maybe next year, after they find a replacement.

chelsea this season will most likely play one up-front that being drogba and pizzaro as his back-up so there is a good possibility of sheva returning.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tsar said:
Players? Plural? Thought you said we only needed a striker?
Yeah... der we do. As a bear minimum. I Stated previously that we needed a LB and a Pirlo alternative but we can make do without them. What we can't make do without is a World Class striker. Besides what I want and want the club wants are two completely different things. Learn to differentiate.

Tsar said:
I never said it was a rip off, but its doesn't change the fact that the price tag was inflated due to Milan leaving the deal to the last minute. Had a cash strapped Lazio been got at earlier they would have buckled at half that amount, but leaving it to the last minute shifts the uperhand back to Lazio as they know its too late for Milan to persue alternatives by that point - hence they can ask what they want. Exactly the same with Oliveira, leave it late and the power lies with the seller, (Lopera), not the buyer, (Milan).
Mate, Nesta's case was exactly the same as the Ronaldinho case. We tried from the start but Lazio didn't want to sell. Obviously at the last moment they cracked and we purchased him. I would've spent double the amount on Nesta because he was the only player that could fill Baresi's vacancy and with Milan's success over these 5 or so years which he has been here proves my point.

Well how else would you interpret inflated... high price, too much... rip off?

Tsar said:
Again it has nothing to do with the quality of player - the target. Milan still payed alot more than they had to. In that occassion though its wasn't because they left it to the last minute, but because they took so long pondering over the deal that it allowed other clubs to come into the frame, (Juve and Fiorentina), which has the same result as before - it shifts the power back in the sellers hands, (Parma). More competition for the player means the seller can jack up the price, which is what Parma did, and again Milan payed alot more because they were slow in the market.
Mate that's called bidding. What do you think Inter have been doing this summer?... They've been going after the players we want, not for them to buy them but for the opposition to rip us off. Hence, why Galliani is trying to keep a lid on things and hasn't mentioned this 6th striker. Again he could just be taking the light of him signing Ronaldinho or Eto'o, so the media focuses on this 6th player who might not even exist. Galliani is playing games. He is a smart nut.

Tsar said:
The club tries, (and so far fails), to buy Abidal, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Tiago, Motta, Edmilson, Maresca, Riquelme, along with others... And you think all they want & need is a striker?
Tsar who's to say Milan wanted these players?
Out of all the players you mentioned it was probably Emerson who had any chance of coming to us though that was put to a hault when we decided Gourcuff would be fielded in Pirlo's role. If Milan really want a player they will get a player. IMO they were probably interested in a few of those players above, made contact and inquire, but that was it.

Tsar said:
Its that failure to secure desired targets that makes the policy poor. You can't dispute that as its fact, doesn't matter at all if you feel those targets weren't good or indeed needed, the fact is the management did and wasn't able to sign them, therefore their policy clearly hasn't worked.
Well 3 UCL finals in 5 years... I beg to differ. Besides you are talking as if the transfer window has shut and we've failed to secure our targets. There're still 40+ days till the window shuts, and all the big transfer dealings come in the last week. Remember that.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
Yeah... der we do. As a bear minimum. I Stated previously that we needed a LB and a Pirlo alternative but we can make do without them. What we can't make do without is a World Class striker. Besides what I want and want the club wants are two completely different things. Learn to differentiate.
You have stated on many occasions that the squad is fine as it is, "just won the CL means its perfect" etc ring any bells? Either Milan need players or they don't, you don't just pick them up as commodities, especially with the big names that have been targeted by the club.
San Paolo said:
Mate, Nesta's case was exactly the same as the Ronaldinho case. We tried from the start but Lazio didn't want to sell. Obviously at the last moment they cracked and we purchased him. I would've spent double the amount on Nesta because he was the only player that could fill Baresi's vacancy and with Milan's success over these 5 or so years which he has been here proves my point.
This is where your poor understanding of the discussion becomes clear. Once again it has nothing to do with the quality of the target player - but how the club goes about signing them. Nesta may very well be the best defender in the world, or ever. And you and even the club may have been prepared to pay double that amount, but the fact is they needn't have even payed that much, 30M for a DEFENDER from a bankrupt club is far more than a club with a sharp transfer strategy would have payed. And that is what is being discussed by me. The relationship of slow market preperation and paying more than is needed.
San Paolo said:
Mate that's called bidding. What do you think Inter have been doing this summer?... They've been going after the players we want, not for them to buy them but for the opposition to rip us off. Hence, why Galliani is trying to keep a lid on things and hasn't mentioned this 6th striker. Again he could just be taking the light of him signing Ronaldinho or Eto'o, so the media focuses on this 6th player who might not even exist. Galliani is playing games. He is a smart nut.
Exactly, bidding wars need not occur if you are fast in the market. Take Suazo as an example, Milan were very interested in him, even launched a bid last January, which was accepted and met with the player. It was a done deal until Milan pulled out, wether that be to try and get a lower price, see if he keeps playing as well, think it over, even find the cash to pay for him - doesn't matter, end result is the same, Milan delayed and slowed down the deal. What happens? When Milan do decide to go for him its too late, he's already Inters. And even had Milan secured him then by the skin of their teeth, they would have payed twice what they would have before Inter and Roma got in on the deal.

As for Inter going after all our targets in some sort of spite mission, well that exaggerated, they haven't even made an attempt on half Milan's targets, and even if they had it only goes to prove what i'm saying, as if Milan were a bit faster and didn't let Inter muscle in they would not only get the player, but for a better price as well.
San Paolo said:
Tsar who's to say Milan wanted these players?
Out of all the players you mentioned it was probably Emerson who had any chance of coming to us though that was put to a hault when we decided Gourcuff would be fielded in Pirlo's role. If Milan really want a player they will get a player. IMO they were probably interested in a few of those players above, made contact and inquire, but that was it.

Well 3 UCL finals in 5 years... I beg to differ. Besides you are talking as if the transfer window has shut and we've failed to secure our targets. There're still 40+ days till the window shuts, and all the big transfer dealings come in the last week. Remember that.
They are not all rumours, Abidal for one was offered a contract but had already agreed a deal with Barca. I think its safe to say Milan wanted him, plus Galliani has already made trips to Barcelona and Madrid to try and sign Emerson, Edmilson, Motta, Ronaldinho and Eto'o. Its not rumours - the club has its desired targets, and the main/star ones are now out of reach. Henry, Drogba, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Abidal, Tiago and by the looks of things Riquelme have now all moved or commited themselves to thier current clubs. Milan failed to sign its main targets, and even secondary targets - doesn't matter if there is 40+ days left of the window, the players the club wanted are gone now.

So to boil it all down:

When you fail to sign the players you wanted, your transfer policy has failed.

That is what you are disputing if you are disputing what I have said, which is disputing FACT.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Tsar said:
Nesta may very well be the best defender in the world, or ever. And you and even the club may have been prepared to pay double that amount, but the fact is they needn't have even payed that much, 30M for a DEFENDER from a bankrupt club is far more than a club with a sharp transfer strategy would have payed. And that is what is being discussed by me. The relationship of slow market preperation and paying more than is needed.

As far as i can remember, Inter made a higher bid than Milan and i think it was about 25 million for Nesta but Lazio wanted a deal close to 30 Million because not only was nesta the best defender in the world at that point of time, United signed Ferdinand for 30 million and they were using that to justify nesta's price. Milan found that price to expensive and were linked with a lot of other defenders like Cannavaro. Inter got frustrated with Lazio's refusal to sell Nesta at a cheaper price and on the last 2-3 days before the transfer windows was closed, decided to sign Cannavaro from Parma. Well Milan managed to clinch Nesta's signing on the very last day (before the transfer market closed) and Lazio (who needed the money) had to sell him for 20, which was about 5 million cheaper than what Inter offered.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tsar said:
You have stated on many occasions that the squad is fine as it is, "just won the CL means its perfect" etc ring any bells?
Many times now eh?
Don't ring many bells. Refresh my memory.

Tsar said:
Either Milan need players or they don't, you don't just pick them up as commodities, especially with the big names that have been targeted by the club.
Have you heard of Abramovich?

Tsar said:
This is where your poor understanding of the discussion becomes clear. Once again it has nothing to do with the quality of the target player - but how the club goes about signing them. Nesta may very well be the best defender in the world, or ever. And you and even the club may have been prepared to pay double that amount, but the fact is they needn't have even payed that much, 30M for a DEFENDER from a bankrupt club is far more than a club with a sharp transfer strategy would have payed. And that is what is being discussed by me. The relationship of slow market preperation and paying more than is needed.
Just seems to me you're a tight ass. You want World Class players be prepared to spend champ. I have a poor understanding?

You mentioned our transfer policy is ineffective due to the fact that we don't attract the World Class players we want. Even though there is 40+ days till the transfer window actually closes I still don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that our policy is one of failure. However, you go on to mention that due to our inability to attract these stars in the first place will lead to "late/inflated/overrated panic buys". Well perhaps a reason, which at times in the past it has gotten to this point, is because we don't offer as much in the first place. On the case of Nesta, I don't think a club who is on the verge of bankruptcy is going to up their price at the last moment when obviously they are the ones which are in a state of panic because they need the financial security, and need it in a rush.

You know what "inflated/overrated panic buy is?... Torres.

Tsar said:
Exactly, bidding wars need not occur if you are fast in the market.
Well now you're actually contradicting yourself. If you do enter a bidding war obviously the price of the player, who you are interesting in purchasing, is going to exceed his actual market value. I'll again refer to the Nesta example. By pulling out of the bidding war for Nesta, at prices which undoubtfully surpassed his fixed market value, placed serious amounts of pressure on Lazio having to decrease their initial offer in order for Milan to submit a serious/reasonable bid for the player.

Tsar said:
Take Suazo as an example, Milan were very interested in him, even launched a bid last January, which was accepted and met with the player. It was a done deal until Milan pulled out, wether that be to try and get a lower price, see if he keeps playing as well, think it over, even find the cash to pay for him - doesn't matter, end result is the same, Milan delayed and slowed down the deal. What happens? When Milan do decide to go for him its too late, he's already Inters. And even had Milan secured him then by the skin of their teeth, they would have payed twice what they would have before Inter and Roma got in on the deal.
Milan never made a bid for Suazo in January. They inquired about his services but Cagliari were never interested in selling Sauzo. We were going to purchase Suazo prior to last season. Calciopoli scandal hit and the Cagliari still wanted Suazo to remain for another season. Milan had other intended targets, like Ronaldinho and Eto'o, to make people like you smile and jump for joy. Shows me they weren't all serious in the player and took a last minute bid after numerous trys to grab Eto'o and Ronaldinho.

Tsar said:
As for Inter going after all our targets in some sort of spite mission, well that exaggerated, they haven't even made an attempt on half Milan's targets, and even if they had it only goes to prove what i'm saying, as if Milan were a bit faster and didn't let Inter muscle in they would not only get the player, but for a better price as well.
Ibrahimovic, Cassano, Veira, Pato, Shevchenko, Quagliarella... just to name a few from the top of my head. Either "scout" is a foreign term to their staff or it's one hell of a co-incidence.

Tsar said:
They are not all rumours, Abidal for one was offered a contract but had already agreed a deal with Barca. I think its safe to say Milan wanted him, plus Galliani has already made trips to Barcelona and Madrid to try and sign Emerson, Edmilson, Motta, Ronaldinho and Eto'o. Its not rumours - the club has its desired targets, and the main/star ones are now out of reach. Henry, Drogba, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Abidal, Tiago and by the looks of things Riquelme have now all moved or commited themselves to thier current clubs. Milan failed to sign its main targets, and even secondary targets - doesn't matter if there is 40+ days left of the window, the players the club wanted are gone now.

So to boil it all down:

When you fail to sign the players you wanted, your transfer policy has failed.

That is what you are disputing if you are disputing what I have said, which is disputing FACT.
Last time I checked Milan's main targets were: Shevchenko, Drogba, Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Pato... all who haven't gone anywhere but on a holiday. FACT.

EDIT: and it seems we just bought Pato. =)

Last edited:

teis

Alice in Chains
Reaction score
menon_inc said:
As far as i can remember, Inter made a higher bid than Milan and i think it was about 25 million for Nesta but Lazio wanted a deal close to 30 Million because not only was nesta the best defender in the world at that point of time, United signed Ferdinand for 30 million and they were using that to justify nesta's price. Milan found that price to expensive and were linked with a lot of other defenders like Cannavaro. Inter got frustrated with Lazio's refusal to sell Nesta at a cheaper price and on the last 2-3 days before the transfer windows was closed, decided to sign Cannavaro from Parma. Well Milan managed to clinch Nesta's signing on the very last day (before the transfer market closed) and Lazio (who needed the money) had to sell him for 20, which was about 5 million cheaper than what Inter offered.
with only a few hours or minutes left if I remember correctly

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rino, Maldini, Nesta, Pippo, Weah, Flamini, T.Silva, Zidane, Gourcuff, Kaka

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
menon_inc said:
I didn't think Inters interest went that far, but I don't remember enough about it to dispute that. However it rather supports my point very well, perfectly infact. Milan got a cheaper, if only slightly, deal when Inter - competition, pulled out? Which in turn shows what? that when you allow other clubs in the frame you end up paying more... Which is what I am saying to a point.

Sao Paolo: Most of what you have said has nothing to do with Milans transfer policy, which is partly my fault for entertaining it. But again I will ask to condense my point which you have taken umbridge with:

Milan had its primary targets: Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Suazo, Henry and judging by the early contract offer - Abidal. All were not signed after the former 2 commited to their clubs while the later 3 signed for someone else. Any other names were persued second to those, Pato's name for example only re-emerged after they all failed. So again - how can you dispute the strategy of the club to sign its ideal players is not a failure when it has failed to sign all of its primary targets?

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
@Tsar

You obviously aint too updated on the Suazo case. Abidal was never considered a PRIMARY target.

Ronaldinho and Eto'o are primary targets. Both of which are destined to stay at Barcelona not as a result of Milan's poor transfer strategy but to the desire of Barcelona president Laporta claming both are indispensible for the club. I don't understand how in this case you can label this a failure when Berlusconi is willing to splash out 100m on either player. Same case with Kaka. Nothing you can really do. They've tried as much as one could possibly try to buy two of the best players in the world.

Pato has been monitored by Milan over the past 6-12 months. His name isn't foreign to most of us who are up-to-date with Milan's transfer activities in recent times and is still listed along with Ronaldinho and Eto'o's of players we still hope to purchase in the current transfer window.

Tsar, if you have any knowledge about the transfer market you would realise that the biggest transfers are done in the closing week, not to mention the last day. Milan's transfer activities are still on going and in football anything can happen, another fact which you should be familiar with. I can't understand how you come to the conclusion that Milan's transfer policy is one of failure when there is still shit loads of time till the close of the window. Only then can you consider our policy one of failure or success.

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Tsar said:
I didn't think Inters interest went that far, but I don't remember enough about it to dispute that. However it rather supports my point very well, perfectly infact. Milan got a cheaper, if only slightly, deal when Inter - competition, pulled out? Which in turn shows what? that when you allow other clubs in the frame you end up paying more... Which is what I am saying to a point.

It did and Inters offer was even higher than Milans offer and Inter were in pole position to sign him but Lazio wanted more money. Inter's offer was rumoured to be about (25 million). Milan were not willing to pay that much and decided to look at other options. Inter got pissed off with Lazio for taking so long to negotiate the tranfer and decided to sign Cannavaro (on the last week of the transfer market). Milan were a lot more patient and decided to put in an offer of about (20 million) on the very last day which was cheaper than Inter's initial offer and Lazio had no choice but to accept as they needed the money. Well at the end of the day Milan (with Nesta) went on to win the cl that year and Inter with Canna were their usual crappy self. So who got the better deal? I guess that sums it up :)