Week 34: Torino vs Milan 28/04/2019 20:30 CET

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
just watched gattuso conference. He looks broken. will probably go in the morning imo.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I’m saying that we need a new coach AND many new starters. Any new coach will suffer if we expect just that to solve our issues.

Any new player will suffer, eventually, if we just expect some sensible decisions from the coach to solve our issues.

This team has had a bad cohesion problem, offensively, for many years and it is not fixed by changing the players or thinking that just some pragmatic decision-making from the coach will fix it.
Granted a normal, sensible coach would not have as much faith in Suso as Rino did, or get as bad results as him, but their cautiousness would also prevent them from dealing with this issue.

For that it takes some risks, craziness and patience.

Guys like Conte, Gasperini and Sarri could fix it, but patience and support is required from the upper management down to the fans and of course the players.

Guys like Allegri and Mourinho will minimize it's harm at best, and only temporarily.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Gattuso is not a great manager and he deserves to be canned. He is responsible, but I think even he is flabbergasted by this weak, incohesive bunch of twats we call Milan players. Shaming the jersey.

My broken heart will hope for 12 points in the last 4.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah, the penalty was cheap, maybe even wrong, but they got denied a legit one a few minutes earlier.

If Romagnoli wants to be taken seriously by the refs then he should stop complaining about every decision going against us like an idiot. He even ran to the ref to complain after Suso's clear tactical foul.

totally agree, the fuck is wrong with him

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
If Romagnoli wants to be taken seriously by the refs then he should stop complaining about every decision going against us like an idiot. He even ran to the ref to complain after Suso's clear tactical foul.

Absolutely right. He has been like this every game, and this in-your-face style upsets most referees in Serie A. He needs to mature quickly in this aspect of his captaincy.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Any new player will suffer, eventually, if we just expect some sensible decisions from the coach to solve our issues.

This team has had a bad cohesion problem, offensively, for many years and it is not fixed by changing the players or thinking that just some pragmatic decision-making from the coach will fix it.
Granted a normal, sensible coach would not have as much faith in Suso as Rino did, or get as bad results as him, but their cautiousness would also prevent them from dealing with this issue.

For that it takes some risks, craziness and patience.

Guys like Conte, Gasperini and Sarri could fix it, but patience and support is required from the upper management down to the fans and of course the players.

Guys like Allegri and Mourinho will minimize it's harm at best, and only temporarily.

Without question, patience is needed. Any new coach instantly makes it at least a 2-yr cycle to get back to peak level for that particular squad. So for the first year, we all have to be patient. But there are certain continuities that the manager can be judged on in the first season - a clear core developing, clear tactical schemes, squad morale and leadership..

Both Sarri and Conte will require several more fresh starters than budgeted since they both have precise styles and I can count maybe 5 players in our starting XI who can adapt to that. Net expenditure from a player transfer perspective will be much less for a Gasperini or a Giampaolo, and the benefits might be the same. I'd still prefer the latter route.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gattuso is not a great manager and he deserves to be canned. He is responsible, but I think even he is flabbergasted by this weak, incohesive bunch of twats we call Milan players. Shaming the jersey.

My broken heart will hope for 12 points in the last 4.

I would never blame Gattuso alone. The problem I think is the combination - all the rumours of Leonardo never really wanting Gattuso would have always led to this situation some day or the other. Unfortunately it happened at the worst possible time for us, after the derby defeat.

Gattuso and the squad were working perfectly well till mid-March, and suddenly we lost everything - morale, that extra effort, goals.. I don't think it's a coincidence.

My best guess from all the rumours I've read in the Italian media over the last month and reading between the lines on what Leo and Gattuso say in press conferences, is that after the derby, the coach got an ultimatum of sorts that 4th place is a must. Gattuso didn't like that because it was not an ultimatum objective at the beginning of the season. From that point onwards, things went south.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I would never blame Gattuso alone. The problem I think is the combination - all the rumours of Leonardo never really wanting Gattuso would have always led to this situation some day or the other. Unfortunately it happened at the worst possible time for us, after the derby defeat.

Gattuso and the squad were working perfectly well till mid-March, and suddenly we lost everything - morale, that extra effort, goals.. I don't think it's a coincidence.

My best guess from all the rumours I've read in the Italian media over the last month and reading between the lines on what Leo and Gattuso say in press conferences, is that after the derby, the coach got an ultimatum of sorts that 4th place is a must. Gattuso didn't like that because it was not an ultimatum objective at the beginning of the season. From that point onwards, things went south.

Deluded post. Milan were not working perfectly fine by any means.

We were winning due to individual play, and not team effort. As soon as certain players stopped pulling rabbits out of their hats, the incompetent fool that is Gattuso has been exposed.

And in a unrelated note, guys there's no ref conspiracy against Milan. Romagnioli is your typical football player, who complains to the ref when he/ or his team mates fuck up, even though he clearly knows it won't help.

Football players are not the smartest bunch, couple that with how frustrating it must be to play under Gattuso, and you get what u saw yesterday.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Without question, patience is needed. Any new coach instantly makes it at least a 2-yr cycle to get back to peak level for that particular squad. So for the first year, we all have to be patient. But there are certain continuities that the manager can be judged on in the first season - a clear core developing, clear tactical schemes, squad morale and leadership..

Both Sarri and Conte will require several more fresh starters than budgeted since they both have precise styles and I can count maybe 5 players in our starting XI who can adapt to that. Net expenditure from a player transfer perspective will be much less for a Gasperini or a Giampaolo, and the benefits might be the same. I'd still prefer the latter route.

I also prefer Gasperini, although I'm not a fan of 3CB systems.
He's used to building from scratch, and he is as good as any at it.
He doesn't have massive salary demands like the first two.
And he's the one that got the most out of a big chunk of our current players, but also former players/flops.

He also deserve a 2nd chance, a real chance to succeed at one of the big clubs in Italy, after the Inter spell that was always doomed to fail. That is if he wants to leave Atalanta for a bigger club.
It'd be great to see him redeem himself here of all places.

As for Giampaolo, it would be interesting to see what he's capable of. I liked how robotically cohesive they were in some of our previous games against them but I'm not sure he can build a strong offense like Gasperini.
He fields a back-four though and less is known about him and his potential since he's yet to be tested at a big club, so he does have some stuff on Gasperini.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I also prefer Gasperini, although I'm not a fan of 3CB systems.
He's used to building from scratch, and he is as good as any at it.
He doesn't have massive salary demands like the first two.
And he's the one that got the most out of a big chunk of our current players, but also former players/flops.

He also deserve a 2nd chance, a real chance to succeed at one of the big clubs in Italy, after the Inter spell that was always doomed to fail. That is if he wants to leave Atalanta for a bigger club.
It'd be great to see him redeem himself here of all places.

As for Giampaolo, it would be interesting to see what he's capable of. I liked how robotically cohesive they were in some of our previous games against them but I'm not sure he can build a strong offense like Gasperini.
He fields a back-four though and less is known about him and his potential since he's yet to be tested at a big club, so he does have some stuff on Gasperini.

Giampaolo was the one I wanted to succeed Allegri.. well we all know how that went. I find his style very balanced and suited to a club like ours. He has the capability to play matches banking heavily on a structured compact defensive shape, as well as the capability of unleashing offensive style when needed. I'm a big fan. Trequartista behind two very versatile attackers is always brilliant to watch as well. But we'll need to sign a second striker who's far more versatile than Cutrone and Piatek.

Gasperini, as you say, was unjustly blamed for those horrible Inter days when they were transitioning after the treble. I dislike watching 3-men defences as well, but the guy is the best in the world in playing attractively with 3 at the back. Yes, and it would really benefit Caldara, Kessie, Conti..

I'll be thrilled with either of them.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Gutted.

Never a penalty in a month of Sundays. Kessie put his hand on the players back and he threw himself to the ground.

That said we were terrible and never looked like scoring. Cutrone instead of Piatek did not work.

4th is gone.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Gutted.

Never a penalty in a month of Sundays. Kessie put his hand on the players back and he threw himself to the ground.

That said we were terrible and never looked like scoring. Cutrone instead of Piatek did not work.

4th is gone.

penalty was weak but they deserved another penalty earlier when musa rugby tackled belotti.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
season was lost with 4 games:

- samp
- udinese
- parma
- torino

If we deserved 4th we should be beating these teams... we definitely don't deserve it. We needed it but don't deserve it. Weak, timid players who crumble with any adversity.. those are the 1st ones we need out of here

Schedule