Gli Azzurri - La Nazionale, Italy National Football Team

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Againts Russia:

(4-3-1-2): Buffon - Maggio, Barzagli, Chiellini, Balzaretti - Marchisio, Pirlo, De Rossi - Montolivo - Cassano, Balotelli

ELMAGO99

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibra, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Tevez

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I respect prandelli for not being a bitch and sticking to his own ideas and formation :thumbsup:

milanpalermo23

Fanta-allenatore
Reaction score
He said that he will try both the 4-3-1-2 and the 4-3-3 tomorrow.

Chiellini wont be risked.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson

acm55

Rossonero
Reaction score
Prandelli to test Italy tactics

An optimistic Cesare Prandelli says Friday’s friendly against Russia will be primarily used as a tactical exercise by his Italian side.

Although the Coach will not confirm his starting XI until later this evening, he has revealed that he’ll test out 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-3 systems in the Zurich clash after Tuesday’s Luxembourg tie was called off.

“I’m not worried about the cancellation of the Luxembourg game [after the earthquake] because the squad is working hard and with intensity,” he stated.

“Saying that, we needed two games, and not just one, to take a look at the tactical solutions that we are thinking about.

“We’ll try two systems tomorrow. The first will be with just two strikers and four midfielders. The second will be with a trident attack – with two wide forwards and a small centre-forward.

“The latter will be Antonio Di Natale or Antonio Cassano or Sebastian Giovinco…”

It is in attack where Prandelli is looking for answers after his preferred strike pairing of Cassano and Giuseppe Rossi was made unavailable to him by the Villarreal player’s injury.

The tactician is now set to field a Cassano and Mario Balotelli pairing despite their limited playing time together.

“I’m not worried and I believe they can do well together,” the former Fiorentina boss noted.

“Why did I pick Fabio Borini ahead of Mattia Destro in the squad? Borini is a little more adaptable when it comes to the characteristics required to work as a wide attacker. Mattia is more of a scorer.

“We have to improve as a team. We are where we want to be in terms of circulating the ball, but I'd like to see three or four players in the opposition box.”

Turning to the defence and Italy may have problems at left-back given that Giorgio Chiellini is recovering from injury and Federico Balzaretti is struggling with a few physical issues.

“I have to compliment Chiellini as he turned up four days earlier than expected to start work at Coverciano.

“We also thank Juventus for allowing that to happen. I don’t want to risk him against Russia tomorrow, but he is fit enough to play.

“I’m now just thinking about getting Balzaretti and Chiellini back to full fitness, but Angelo Ogbonna could also be a solution in that position.”

Prandelli was again quizzed on the possibility of using Juventus’ three-man defence of Chiellini, Andrea Barzagli and Leonardo Bonucci.

“We could try a three-man defence during a game, but only with the three Juventus defenders – up to now I’ve only had two and a half given Chiellini’s injury.

“Our full-backs would know what to do if we ever played with three at the back.”

Prandelli was also asked about the possibility of Balotelli wanting to walk off the pitch should he be subjected to racist abuse.

“Mario is calm and motivated. If he should be targeted by racist chants then we’ll all walk on to the pitch and embrace him – that is how we’ll respond if anything happened.”

Italy possible starting XI v Russia: Buffon; Maggio, Barzagli, Bonucci, Balzaretti (Ogbonna); Pirlo; Marchisio, De Rossi; Montolivo; Balotelli, Cassano.

Fiero

Reaction score
Me too, that era also reminded me of the old PES :D Del Piero had a badass look, Nesta was collosal, Cannavaro such a midget thug... but nothing beats Paolo he was so good and attentive at all times.

Rest of the World XI vs Europe XI. :lol: Good old days...

The entire planet used to play Roberto Carlos as a forward. That deadly left foot of his. And then when he was shooting a free-kick we'd go "OMG that's exactly how he shoots it in real life!".

Those were the days. Shoot from almost anywhere and it's a goal. Whenever you enter the opponent's area you'd hear the audience screaming in enthusiasm. :lol: And then PS2 followed, and I swear first time I played it I thought it looked clearer than real matches. :lol:

Jazeera is such a monopoly, I heard they will eventually add German and EPL. They already have italian, french, spanish, dutch, brazilian, argentine, ucl, europa league, euro's... its madness... but with so many leagues to cover, the quality of their analysis becomes really poor imo, they seem like they just want to get through the show, without giving enough time for tactical analysis or for opinions from the viewer.

I don't think it's Al Jazeera's problem, it's a universal problem really. There's a flaw in the way tactical analysis are handled IMO. Mostly because the analyzers consist of retired footballers. But what disappoints me is that even ex-coaches don't add much input. It's the same bullshit you hear from everyone else rating the players etc, that's not what we want to hear man!

If I had my way, there would be no pre-match studios (it's pointless to discuss pre-match tactics when no one has a clue and I hate predictions in football, they make no sense). And then we'd get post match tactical analysis. Screw individual player ratings and all that amateur stuff. I'm talking some Zonal Marking type of analysis. What's the point in paying some ex-footballers and ex-coaches to discuss stuff most of the viewers already know? I want them to explain the strategy of both teams and how they moved etc. Real tactics talk not the gibberish in all studios.

I also heard they were battling Sky Sports for the PL distribution rights to the entire planet. But that was some time ago so I have no idea how it unfolded. Would be cool to add the PL though.

But I miss ART. We grew up with it man.

benjamin

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Cafu
x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

x610.jpg

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
diamanti and marchisio are on drugs, I'm sure of it :o

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Cassano playing pretty bad. I like Balzaretti and Balotelli so far. Monto needs to do more... still only 30 minutes though.

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
Ouch..

First Euro's I'm actually supporting a team (Italy)
This gave me little hope though.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Italy will be better in the tournament. they pretty much always are. it was 0-0 at the break and the goals came after Buffon went off and Cheillini didnt play.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
I think monto as the treq is a very bad idea not that he has ever been great in any other position for italy for some reason but he isnt a treq in any shape or form anyways. De rossi and Marchisio must play much much better defensively than they did yesterday, otherwise maybe play Motta/Nocer on one side and De rossi on the other of pirlo. Giovinco should play behind Balo not stuck on some stupid wing. Maybe Gio behind balo and Cass or Gio and Cass behind balo.

Costanza

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Rino, Ambro, Superpippo, KPB, De Jong, SES, Monty, LA77, Max Allegri, KD35, Manu
If one thing's proved, Italy needs Buffon more than ever. 2010 they lost him, we saw how fucked-up Marchetti was, Now if he isn't there you can bet on Italy being humiliated again.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Prandelli should realise that Montolivo as a trequartista is a huge mistake. Totally looked out of place there. The sad thing is, the only pure trequartista (Diamanti) on the roster remained on the bench for 90 min. It seams like Prandelli won't even consider him.

The defense was a shambles. We all know Bonucci shouldn't play and Ogbonna... remains a Serie B player. Not a smart move bringing him IMO. The only one who actually impressed me was Balzaretti. He should definitely be the starting LB.

Cassano looked way out of form in front BTW. I love him, but he just already was exhausted after half an hour. Not a good sign. Keep him as a attacking sub, playing Di Natale from the first minute.

The midfield trio De Rossi-Pirlo-Marchisio looks good in theory, but apart from Pirlo, no one had a decent game. I blame Marchisio for missing that sitter though. Even Robinho would've scored that one. Tool.

Dark Knight

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Baggio Nesta Pirlo Figo Platin Mardona Pippo Kaka Baresi Socrtes Roben Canna Gigi Zico MvB9
I blame Marchisio for missing that sitter though. Even Robinho would've scored that one. Tool.

Not true. You can never use robinho in that sentence.. people can use even my grandma could have scored that or a man on a wheel chair or anything but not robinho. btw cassano's miss was worst miss and yeh he does look exhausted. I think play him as a super sub give Giovinco a chance.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Prandelli's choices are annoying. Not Lippi level, but still very annoying.

for example. While I like Ogbonna, he had a solid year but still, he is 24 and hasnt played many Serie A games. Bocchetti can also play CB and LB, has played over 60 Serie A games before he was sold for 15 mil to a Russia team, has played in the UCL and Europa league, was a member of the Italian U-21 Euro team, the 2010 WC team, and the 2008 Olympics. only a year older, I think it is very annoying that Prandelli has been ignoring him while he has been in charge.

Astori also had an excellent year in Serie A, is also 25, and has over 100 Serie A games under his belt. He had a better year than Bonucci did, and yet even Rannochia (who was dogshit all year) made it further in the squad cuts than Astori.

Just keeping Astori and Bocchetti makes the defense more experienced and quite honestly, better. Even if he wanted to go past experience and focus on form, he should have called Acerbi to the 32 man initial squad over Rannochia.

At GK, while Buffon and Sirigu make perfect sense, De Sanctis is ok but not great, and is not noticably better, if even better at all than some other options including Abbiati (although he has said in the past he wouldnt take a backup role for Italy) Viviano (big time future, should have probably been kept) Consigli (excellent season, lots of bigger teams are looking at him) or Marchetti (good year for Lazio) all would have been better choices, and 3 of them are young enough to have the potential to be around after Buffon is done.

while I'm not a big fan of Pepe, if Prandelli wanted a hard working player to add a wing option Pepe had a very good season and wasnt considered.

pretty much all of Italy's problems could have been addressed with the proper player call ups.