Alessio Romagnoli Thread

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Ender, great post.

Will respond specifically to 1 and 2.

1. People leave for better career prospects, to win, more money, disloyalty, new fit and new challenges. (Maybe more, but it's early and I'm doing this while eating breakfast)

Almost every one of those is controlled by both the person and the organization. Every single player is affected by those questions, so it's important not to get too hung up on them. Fear begets more fear.

2. Scouting and evaluation is all about information gathering. Right now because of Miha, Milan has a huge information advantage compared to its other clubs. That helps allay many of my concerns.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with him leaving, I was just pointing out that fact to USC who wanted a "pillar".

The defense of Sampdoria was better than ours not because of Romagnoli but because they were a much better organized as a team defensively. If we have to focus only on the defense, Sampdoria defense was composed of Silvestre and Mesbah who were discarded without regrets from Milan. Iirc we also had the second best defense during the second half of the season 2012-13. Using this rationale, we should confirm the duo Mexes-Zapata as starters, when the truth is that it was the entire team including El Shaarawy, Niang and Boateng that worked hard to defend.

Conclusion: The truth is that some people will say that he has potential and that potential deserves the price that Roma placed on him. The other people will say that he's not a starter for Roma and that Roma is selling a backup for 28 mill based on "potential" that might come to fruition or not.
Both sides have merit and plenty of support and unfortunately it's something that we won't be able to solve here :). Probably we're gonna have to wait and trust that the management will do the right move. Time will tell who is right...

Fair points. It's true that defensive chemistry and organization go a long way in overshadowing talent, or lack thereof in the case of milan. One final point though. Okay, so say he is not necessarily better than our current players in his position. Well, miha will be our coach this season, and romagnoli proved that playing in his exact system that he was capable of starting on a team that qualifiied for Europe. That's no joke, and as Sven pointed out, only way we really get nothing out of him is if he regresses. Which is highly unlikely no?

Basically, while he might not be one of the two best defenders on the team upon Arrival, he has proven that he can go into a competitive starting eleven, and thrive. He will not be thrown into the team and be the obvious weak spot for our team. Part of his value is in the fact that he can start now and not drop the level of the team. I do agree, he's probably overpriced since he is not that valuable of a member to Roma's squad. But in Milan's case I think the risk is low.

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
If it were up to me I would leave this kid in Roma to sit on the bench for 5 months and go get Garay.

Then bid 15 mil for him in January if the coach must have him.

I would actually skip him completely and buy a midfielder instead

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
I want him desperately. Yes, he's all potential at the moment but the manager he flourished under is now Milans manager so I believe he can take that next step here as Miha knows his limitations.

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
he has proven that he can go into a competitive starting eleven, and thrive.

Just fyi, his defensive partner was a certain Matias Silvestre who, despite the mediocre defense we had in 2013-2014, couldn't start a game for us that season. That Samp defensive line also included another former Milan great...MESBAH. Having a good defensive coach like Mihailovic can make mediocre defense look organized and competent.

In a way, I understand why Sinisa wants him...he'll be getting a player that he already trained for a year and who understands his philosophy but at the same time I think Sinisa can probably do the same with a Rodrigo Ely or any other talented youngster without spending 25 - 30 million. So, in other words Romagnoli is good to have but I 'll never understand the folks that say "WE HAVE TO SIGN HIM" and "WE desperately [b[need[/b] him. We simply don't need him, he should be an option not a priority.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
Our coach says he's a priority. This saga is so fustrating.

adit

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Just fyi, his defensive partner was a certain Matias Silvestre who, despite the mediocre defense we had in 2013-2014, couldn't start a game for us that season. That Samp defensive line also included another former Milan great...MESBAH. Having a good defensive coach like Mihailovic can make mediocre defense look organized and competent.

In a way, I understand why Sinisa wants him...he'll be getting a player that he already trained for a year and who understands his philosophy but at the same time I think Sinisa can probably do the same with a Rodrigo Ely or any other talented youngster without spending 25 - 30 million. So, in other words Romagnoli is good to have but I 'll never understand the folks that say "WE HAVE TO SIGN HIM" and "WE desperately [b[need[/b] him. We simply don't need him, he should be an option not a priority.

Miha believe Rogmanolli will flourish, i think we can't compare with Mesbah or Silvestre simply because their age were too old and no longer in development stage

although i'm agree with your point, we don't really need him, he is nice to have with proper valuation (eg below 20 mil)

Reaction score
Roma fan here.

I've been following Romagnoli for a few years now, and I definitely think he's the best player to come out of our primavera since De Rossi. He actually first started training with the first team when he was 17 because Zeman was so impressed by him. If it wasn't for Marquinhos breaking out that season, he probably would have gotten decent minutes even then. He also looked impressive under Garcia as well. Even did pretty well at LB when Garcia got tired of Dodo.

If your management gives him a few years to grow and is only worried about potential right now then he could be a great long term buy. But I don't know how much of an improvement he is in the short term. I don't think I would consider him a top CB in Serie A yet. Both Castan and Manolas are quite a bit better than him currently.

Ultimately I think it will come down to whether Roma can sell certain players or not. If they can't then they might end up taking the deal very late in the window. But not until Roma find a replacement for him first. Sabatini almost never sells without having someone lined up. And we haven't been linked with any CBs all summer, so that tells me that a deal isn't really close yet. But who knows. Sabatini likes to work from the shadows so it's hard to really tell what he's doing.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Roma fan here.

I've been following Romagnoli for a few years now, and I definitely think he's the best player to come out of our primavera since De Rossi. He actually first started training with the first team when he was 17 because Zeman was so impressed by him. If it wasn't for Marquinhos breaking out that season, he probably would have gotten decent minutes even then. He also looked impressive under Garcia as well. Even did pretty well at LB when Garcia got tired of Dodo.

If your management gives him a few years to grow and is only worried about potential right now then he could be a great long term buy. But I don't know how much of an improvement he is in the short term. I don't think I would consider him a top CB in Serie A yet. Both Castan and Manolas are quite a bit better than him currently.

Ultimately I think it will come down to whether Roma can sell certain players or not. If they can't then they might end up taking the deal very late in the window. But not until Roma find a replacement for him first. Sabatini almost never sells without having someone lined up. And we haven't been linked with any CBs all summer, so that tells me that a deal isn't really close yet. But who knows. Sabatini likes to work from the shadows so it's hard to really tell what he's doing.

25 million for him is a good deal for Roma as well. I think Sabatini wouldn't be foolish to pass this by. It's silly to refuse such money for a non-starter in today's football.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm certain we will sign him only because he isn't a starter. With possibly 3 centerbacks ahead of him, why on earth would they not sell him. If he was getting significant time, maybe they keep him. But they won't let him sit on the bench where his value could diminish. Not to mention...roma has been selling key players the last few windows. Selling romagnoli for 25 could help them afford to keep their pillars like pjanic or manolas, who I expect some big clubs to come for toward the end of the month

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
I really hope we sign him partly because I feel and think that he wants to come to us rather than stay at Roma & partly because I think he's marvellous in the way he plays, his level of skill & intelligence & his personality.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
Rumor says that Roma is close to selling Yanga-Mbiwa to Lyon. That might affect the Romagnoli deal (one defender leaving might block the other), considering that 3 central defenders (Romagnoli, Yanga-Mbiwa and Astori) from last year are likely not to be next year at Roma. Granted, the starting duo Manolas-Castan is still there, but Roma will need at least 2 other central defenders. Curious to see who they'll buy (from Tornio maybe?)

Naraku

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Just get this Alessio here, I want to see him at Milan wearing our colours but I'm sick of his little saga as well. get it done!

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Rumor says that Roma is close to selling Yanga-Mbiwa to Lyon. That might affect the Romagnoli deal (one defender leaving might block the other), considering that 3 central defenders (Romagnoli, Yanga-Mbiwa and Astori) from last year are likely not to be next year at Roma. Granted, the starting duo Manolas-Castan is still there, but Roma will need at least 2 other central defenders. Curious to see who they'll buy (from Tornio maybe?)

I hope they sell Mbiwa and they decide to keep Romagnoli so we can forget about this guy and focus on a midfielder. Two midfielders would be even better

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Welcome.

Have no idea how good he is... but Miha wanted him so thats good enough for me.

Ender

R.I.P Milan
Reaction score
I hope they sell Mbiwa and they decide to keep Romagnoli so we can forget about this guy and focus on a midfielder. Two midfielders would be even better

Well, the deal for Romagnoli is virtually done for 25 mill + 5 mill bonus. Truly hope I'm wrong on this, and I won't be afraid to admit it but to think that we just gave 50 mill to Roma to get reinforced with two undisputed starters (Salah + Dzeko) and got from them Bertolacci and Romagnoli that at Roma were backups, I don't know ... I think we got ripped off badly.

The part that pisses me off the most is that if we were going to give 30 mill to Roma anyways, why not try to close the deal before the friendlies, that way he'd get familiar with the rest of the team. Also, selling Paletta to make space for Romagnoli would be a big mistake, he was the best defender that we had ... sell Alex, he's gonna be injured half a season if last season is any indication.

Oh, well... welcome Romagnoli, hope you truly are the new Nesta.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Oh, well... welcome Romagnoli, hope you truly are the new Nesta.

stahp, please

there won't ever be a new Nesta.

let's just hope that this guy becomes a quality player one day, wouldn't expect greatness from him in the first, or even second, season.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
At last! Welcome Romagnoli!

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
not worth 30m but glad we're signing him

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Well its safe to say Romanisti are pissed.

http://www.chiesaditotti.com/2015/8/9/9123933/alessio-romagnoli-roma-milan-transfer

200+ comments as well

:lol:...well if you're going to post a link to an article yo make a point, at least don't lie about it lol

Was selling Romagnoli the right move?

Poll Results:

56% Yes: It was an offer they couldn't refuse

44% No: The long term benefits outweigh the short term financial gain

Some of the comments there by Roma fans:

"30 million holy crap
I love Saba for this. Refuse 20, refuse 22, say he?s never leaving Roma at 25, shut down Napoli at 28. Get 30 god damn million Euros for a kid we saw in two friendlies and cringed at the idea of having to watch him play in regular season or Champions League until he potentially develops. Awesome!!!"

"50 fucking million for two bench players. Dzeko, Salah, Gerson, and Digne on the way. WE?RE SCREWED.
Thanks, Saba."

"Bye Alessio and thanks Milan for the ?50m for two backup players"

Anyway, welcome Romagnoli. I hope he lives up to the expectations, but more importantly I hope we make it to the Champions League by season's end.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
:lol:...well if you're going to post a link to an article yo make a point, at least don't lie about it lol

Was selling Romagnoli the right move?

Poll Results:

56% Yes: It was an offer they couldn't refuse

44% No: The long term benefits outweigh the short term financial gain

Some of the comments there by Roma fans:

"30 million holy crap
I love Saba for this. Refuse 20, refuse 22, say he?s never leaving Roma at 25, shut down Napoli at 28. Get 30 god damn million Euros for a kid we saw in two friendlies and cringed at the idea of having to watch him play in regular season or Champions League until he potentially develops. Awesome!!!"

"50 fucking million for two bench players. Dzeko, Salah, Gerson, and Digne on the way. WE?RE SCREWED.
Thanks, Saba."

"Bye Alessio and thanks Milan for the ?50m for two backup players"

Anyway, welcome Romagnoli. I hope he lives up to the expectations, but more importantly I hope we make it to the Champions League by season's end.

Many of them are pissed. Nice cherry pick on the minority opinion praising the decision. It's more a range of pissed to - offer they couldn't refuse... But go on and pick the outlier.

just panache stuff...

Panache

Milan Icon
Reaction score
And the poll results?

Of course some would be pissed but I'm just refuting Mario9's claims that MOST were pissed. That's simply not true and you know it.

Last edited: