Vincenzo Montella Thread

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Expect it to be like his Fiorentina side, inconsistent finishing around 5th

Considering we spent our entire budget on some fodder from serie B... 5th is orite by me. As long as we have an identity to our play.

If we can sneak in some reinforcements during the winter mercato we could even push for a top 3 finish.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Should we all ignore this post or use it to make fun of you for a long time?

See it as me reacting to Balo45's annoyingly and delusionally optimistic posts with a harsh, abrupt, pessimistic verdict on Montella's side for the purpose of providing balance and preparing myself and others for another "project" possibly going down the drain.

I think people saw good things and changes in this team that aren't necessarily there, but I have faith in Montella overcoming this setback.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
I think the current makeup of the team will allow us to compete for the top 5 barring any injuries to players that have zero replacements (Kucka, Locatelli, Niang, Suso and Jack to a lesser extent). The lack of depth is very alarming, which needs to be addressed in January before we can even think of a place higher than 5th. If we can sign a couple midfielders and a winger or two then we have a chance at top 3.

Until then we are relying on an inconsistent, raw 18 year old regista/anchor, a BTB mid who is an atrocious passer, and a young explosive inconsistent ss/winger who all have absolutely no cover, so a little perspective is necessary.

Shadow47

Young Assassin
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Dida, Pippo, Nesta, Van Bommel, Huntelaar, Stephan, Pazzo, De Sciglio. Ribery
i hope this match taught him a lesson. it's never too late to realize

we had plenty of injured players, some of them have never even played. so maybe he chose to gamble and started experiments

and i cannot stress this enough, the club have to kick some unuseful players and replace them with better ones immidiately.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
i blame the guy who puts an out of form honda and poli on the field

VillaiN

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I d have said that if he ever fields Poli nad HOnda again, he should be sacked but than again we have tiny bench, we very little quality guys, so i can understand him.

Hes probably our first mang. in 20 years who immediately reacts, honda out in 60 min etc.

I like his style, how we played so far, give him proper players and he ll achieve a lot.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
montella has usually got this right but in this last game it was 70% Montella's fault.

- Never should have started Honda as an RM/RW. If he's gonna play Honda just run a 4-3-1-2. At least it gives you more midfield stability and lets Honda actually be effeective. Or try running the 4-3-1-2 with Sosa.. gotta be better than Honda.

- Poli as RB was not awful, but it didn't give us any effectiveness on the right side. You have Poli who is uncomfortable in that role so just played it safe, and then a rusty and slow Honda as RW... basically with these 2 moves Montella made our team a 1-sided threat.

- Why sub on L. Adriano??? This game was crying for a player like Lapadula who will work hard, make good runs, and is dying to prove himself... what a perfect sub for this game, especially since he would have gotten a significant amount of PT... so sad to not see him in this game, even more now that L. Adriano was so ineffective and such a ghost when he came on.

- I like Montella and he is finally giving this team something of an identity, but he blew his game strategically.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I think we all know that Del Monte needs to be sacked.

Yes?

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
montella has usually got this right but in this last game it was 70% Montella's fault.

- Never should have started Honda as an RM/RW. If he's gonna play Honda just run a 4-3-1-2. At least it gives you more midfield stability and lets Honda actually be effeective. Or try running the 4-3-1-2 with Sosa.. gotta be better than Honda.

- Poli as RB was not awful, but it didn't give us any effectiveness on the right side. You have Poli who is uncomfortable in that role so just played it safe, and then a rusty and slow Honda as RW... basically with these 2 moves Montella made our team a 1-sided threat.

- Why sub on L. Adriano??? This game was crying for a player like Lapadula who will work hard, make good runs, and is dying to prove himself... what a perfect sub for this game, especially since he would have gotten a significant amount of PT... so sad to not see him in this game, even more now that L. Adriano was so ineffective and such a ghost when he came on.

- I like Montella and he is finally giving this team something of an identity, but he blew his game strategically.

This was the only mistake of Montella.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score

Nobody knows more about players than coach, making statements like that is silly imo. Also it is easy to give suggestions after ... you complain about players but not mentioning bacca who was invisible or pretty bad niang, what kucka did in attack as midfielder? For me it is pretty obvious what coach tried to do... keep not bad score till last 30 minutes and then depending on result use bench players (repeat sass game niang + loca in for 2nd half) but bad offside trap and pointless paletta red just ended any game plan.
And our players was tried to cross since begin of the game but bacca and not many other players in the box made it pointless, lapadula has quality not presented in serieA :) to anybody- well he can hard working but what more?

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lapadula is more similar to Bacca in his playing style while Adriano is better at holding the ball. We got some crosses in too and Adriano is a bigger aerial threat than Lapadula who is a bit too short to be effective in the air against Serie A defenders.

It hasn't worked but I think that was the idea behind it.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No three points versus Pescara, we grill this person to death. Pescara is not Leceister City nor are they winning the league right after promotion.

No three points, mentality issues.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He has done well so far, even if we lose to pescara

Not an excuse though a win eases the pressure

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Probably one of the luckiest coaches. We should have an identity by now, but there is nothing solid out there. In theory, Montella plays possession, attacking football... while, in practice, we can't even dominate fucking Pescara.

I'm glad he has a good relation with the players, but someone needs to pull out his dick and give these lazy fucks a smack.

Only times I saw some grinta was against Juve.

Anyway, glad for the 3 points and hope he improves, but still can't see us sticking to him if we gonna go for some bigger objectives.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
He is continuing with some aspects we saw last season with Miha, not going to dominate teams like some expected. But I have no problem when we win, and I don't care about other things a lot.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
he's getting us europe with the shittest squad ever
lucky my arse

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
I'm still upset about Genoa

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Milan this season and last season after first 11 games:

Position: 3 - 6
Goals: 17 - 15
Goals conceded: 14 - 16

lucky my arse

We had a worse team in 2013/14 (first half) and 2014/15 (Poli-Essien-Muntari trio) and even 2015/16 because some young are growing.

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
lucky my arse

Lets wait till January and the end of the season before determining whether or not it's luck or skill.

I still think it's a 50/50 mix between luck and talent. I still think Miha is a better tactician. But the squad is clicking so who knows. Lets give a bit of time...

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Nothing happens because of luck dragons

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
luck? if anything he's been extremely unlucky with injuries to bertolacci, mati and montolivo + we only have 2 fit fullbacks.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We are Still depending on individual brilliance of players to bail us out. The only significant positive I can see is that we play more centrally than last few years. Those passes to fullback and random crosses used to be so annoying. Defensively I'm not sure if we have improved from last year. We haven't been dominant on games at all except maybe Lazio game.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Milan this season and last season after first 11 games:

Position: 3 - 6
Goals: 17 - 15
Goals conceded: 14 - 16

We had a worse team in 2013/14 (first half) and 2014/15 (Poli-Essien-Muntari trio) and even 2015/16 because some young are growing.
Do you remember the shit form we were in before last season and the formation we were forced to play in the first games?

Nothing happens because of luck dragons

Are you for real? :lol:

I call it luck when your indicators are bad, but somehow you manage to win. Like, for example people looking for oil. Some are doing all this research, dig a lot of shit up, really working hard and still don't find oil (or not enough) and some just randomly dig a hole and there it is...

Most of the games under Montella we look pretty shit and then somehow manage to get a miracle goal/win, that is why I call him lucky. Miha had a lot of games where we dominated and had a lot of shots, but just didn't manage to win, which is what I call being unlucky.

These things clear out in the long run, when you have a big sample and the deviations and the variation becomes smaller. For Milan's sake, I hope he proves me wrong.

What I liked is that players were praising the warm relations they have with him, but after Bacca's reaction yesterday, I don't know... we'll see how he manages this.

The Bear

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Probably one of the luckiest coaches. We should have an identity by now, but there is nothing solid out there. In theory, Montella plays possession, attacking football... while, in practice, we can't even dominate fucking Pescara.

What? Have you seen the midfielders Montella's got? The fact that he isn't being stubborn and playing his system but rather, adapting to the players he has, is testament to his tactical acumen.

If he came here and attempted tiki-taka with fucking Kucka, while defending high up the pitch, we would've been easily caught out by teams like Pescara on the counter attack and Montella would've gotten a one way ticket out of Milano with De Boer.

The fact that it's Pescara shouldn't detract from the fact that, after a 3-0 defeat, the team bounced back against the relegation fodder that we've had a tendency to lose to in recent years.

Anyway, glad for the 3 points and hope he improves, but still can't see us sticking to him if we gonna go for some bigger objectives.

Oh, you should've just said that you're just another plastic fan from 2007 who thinks Milan are entitled to Klopp, Simeone, Emery or whatever other flavour of the day manager.

Newsflash: we make great coaches, not sign them.

Last edited:

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
People in country like to saying fortune favour the brave :proud:

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
I dont really think this group of players can play better, why people expect more from the coach with so limited team?

Schedule