Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not sure how much of it is bad judgment and how much is just him lacking the attention span or IQ to analyze games live. His in-game adjustments look amateurish.

His man-management could be worse, but he's going way too far to not upset Suso.

If Suso starts even in the next games, then Rino getting sacked after the season wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not sure how much of it is bad judgment and how much is just him lacking the attention span or IQ to analyze games live. His in-game adjustments look amateurish.

?

His in game adjustments lead to us being the dominant team in the second half, overall it might be a mixed bag (he is not a super experienced coach too and that's an area where experience is important) but can't fault him today.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
?

His in game adjustments lead to us being the dominant team in the second half, overall it might be a mixed bag (he is not a super experienced coach too and that's an area where experience is important) but can't fault him today.

Teams tiring themselves out in the first half against us is a repeated pattern. Allowing them to do that is decided beforehand, if anything.

I'm talking about decisions that are made when the game is not going as planned. His reactions to changes.

We're not improving in 2nd halves due to brilliant non-obvious subs or formation changes.
Our 2nd half against Inter was bound to be better than the disastrous first.
Taking out RR* for Cutrone when we just scored? Really?
Keeping Suso on(or even starting him) when we're being overrun and Piatek was left with no choice but to do the dirty work that Suso was abandoning?

*I'm not exactly Rodriguez biggest fan, but this decision reminded me of when Rino subbed out Biglia(after 1 or 2 bad passes) while we were still ahead against Napoli at San Paolo.
It's like having a knee-jerk match-thread poster at the helm.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Teams tiring themselves out in the first half against us is a repeated pattern. Allowing them to do that is decided beforehand, if anything.

I'm talking about decisions that are made when the game is not going as planned. His reactions to changes.

We're not improving in 2nd halves due to brilliant non-obvious subs or formation changes.
Keeping Suso on(or even starting him) when we're being overrun and Piatek was left with no choice but to do the dirty work that Suso was abandoning?

*I'm not exactly Rodriguez biggest fan, but this decision reminded me of when Rino subbed out Biglia(after 1 or 2 bad passes) while we were still ahead against Napoli at San Paolo.

You are contradicting yourself when it comes to the derby, his subs against Inter where not-obvious and worked, he put pace on the wings with Kessie/Conti & Calabria + Samu, used the added width to make room fo two strikers and Suso (and Samu from time to time) and dropped Hakan deeper to distribute balls.
This largely neutralized Inters dominance in CM.

Suso stayed on because Gattuso needed someone with good close control at the edge of the box to offer a further outlet for the attacks down the flank and a possibility to get the ball more central after advancing it forward over the flank.
All in all he formed a "circle" around inters midfield with Suso and Samu (although somewhat asymmetrical with Samu playing at LM too from time to time) being the connecting elements between wing and central attack.

It has to be said that while we didn't play well in the first half Inter played probably their best half of football in 2019, desperate for redemption. Our goal has to be to beat them regardless but that our team struggled is understandable to certain degree.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Poor timing with the second substitution today. We did not need to go gung ho at 2-1 down and take off a LB for a striker and lose all midfield presence. We were already losing the midfield battle and we needed to bring Biglia on at that point to have a semi functional midfield and play ourself back into the game.

Needs to sort out our issues with horrible first half performances. Oh, and please play Samu as we have zero ability to press and win the ball back high up the field when we are down as the front players lack the speed and athleticism to close down other than Samu and Hakan to an extent.

i don't think it effected at all. we were on top after we scored our first and pinned them more in their half. i don't think they had any decent chance after we scored.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

do you not remember how many free assists biglia was handing out to napoli that game? subbing him was no brainer. however, i wouldn't have brought in bakayoko.
RR sub had no negative impact at all and cutrone came close to equalizing. stop criticizing for the sake of it.
if you really want to criticize, talk about the way he prepared for the game or how he let us play badly the whole first half.

TAZIO.N

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Our current squad mirrored what our ambition really are which is top 4.So far Gattuso has delivered and he should stay if we secured CL place which I think we will.Next season, let's see what Leonardo and Maldini can do with signing.I expect at least 3 top quality wingers /midfielders depending of what formation they will find suitable.If we can't even do that,we are deluded to think that we are ready to mount a challenge for scudetto and CL.It's understandable if the fans of Chelsea,PSG,Real,Bayern etc
are fickle about their coach because at least they have invested enough amount of money on top players.How many top players we have?Did you think Guardiola for example will take us to scudetto and cl with this kind of squad?? :lol:

voom

Banned
Reaction score
First half nightmares need to stop.Suso after this game definitely need to be benched.Trying 4231 against Samp,wouldn't be bad,with Baka and Biglia at double pivot.Kessie should be on the bench after disgracefull behaviour.Paqueta is dead man walking,no stamina in guy,great thing is now is international break,hope that he can recuperate some energy.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Subbing Castillejo in? Good. But keeping THIS Suso for the entire 90 minutes!? Gattuso, this one is on you. Once again we played with this fuck the 1st half approach. I don't want to hear about spectacular come backs anymore because especially I. This game, where Inter was supposed to be the inferior team with a shattered self confidence, missing key players and being more fatigued we should never ever have given away that 1st half! Damn even if I ter was leading 2:0 by the 1st half the didn't have taken away NOTHING.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Needs to start subbing Suso or not playing him at all if his current form continues. He must have been the only person in the ground that couldn't see leaving Suso on was like playing with 10 men.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
First half nightmares need to stop.Suso after this game definitely need to be benched.Trying 4231 against Samp,wouldn't be bad,with Baka and Biglia at double pivot.Kessie should be on the bench after disgracefull behaviour.Paqueta is dead man walking,no stamina in guy,great thing is now is international break,hope that he can recuperate some energy.

dude is called up for the international games. hope he doesn't play.

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
Team was not ready to play until we were down two goals.
- that has to fall squarely on the coach

And I agree - Suso needs to be dropped. I was sure it was him coming off at the half

I am not the get Gattuso out wagon though. I hope if we strengthen in the off season we can see even better from him and more competition for places based on form.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Our current squad mirrored what our ambition really are which is top 4.So far Gattuso has delivered and he should stay if we secured CL place which I think we will.Next season, let's see what Leonardo and Maldini can do with signing.I expect at least 3 top quality wingers /midfielders depending of what formation they will find suitable.If we can't even do that,we are deluded to think that we are ready to mount a challenge for scudetto and CL.It's understandable if the fans of Chelsea,PSG,Real,Bayern etc
are fickle about their coach because at least they have invested enough amount of money on top players.How many top players we have?Did you think Guardiola for example will take us to scudetto and cl with this kind of squad?? :lol:

fraudiola won't finish in top 4 of he had our squad. he is that incompetent. overrated twat. guardiola would be useful vs big teams though. he somehow gets his team playing at their best vs great teams.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
I never rated and never will uphold gattuso as some kind of long term savior of this club. He has done reasonably well so far but the moment we are able to find a top tier coach to replace him I would happily ship him off.

TAZIO.N

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
But first, the management has to walk the walk though.Sign the top players first,and then we can talk about hiring a so called top tier coach although I always love our "philosophy"of hiring "not a big name yet coach",
eventually become club legends like Rocco,Sacchi,Capello,Ancelotti.Maybe Rino can be like them who knows?

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score
You are contradicting yourself when it comes to the derby, his subs against Inter where not-obvious and worked, he put pace on the wings with Kessie/Conti & Calabria + Samu, used the added width to make room fo two strikers and Suso (and Samu from time to time) and dropped Hakan deeper to distribute balls.

Suso stayed on because Gattuso needed someone with good close control at the edge of the box to offer a further outlet for the attacks down the flank and a possibility to get the ball more central after advancing it forward over the flank.
All in all he formed a "circle" around inters midfield with Suso and Samu (although somewhat asymmetrical with Samu playing at LM too from time to time) being the connecting elements between wing and central attack.

It has to be said that while we didn't play well in the first half Inter played probably their best half of football in 2019, desperate for redemption. Our goal has to be to beat them regardless but that our team struggled is understandable to certain degree.

thats actually great analysis
I thought also we improved greatly in the second half by utilizing the wings more.
we were outrun in the midfield and he made a great decision to avoid them.

hakan played much better in a deeper position.
I agree that suso needs some bench time to reflect on his game.
and we need some left flank improvements, both lb and lw.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
b0350b47cee64dfaf6a8f96455e8e2d1.jpg

Most handsome coach out there?

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Gennaro Gattuso admits it was “a childhood dream to lift a trophy with Milan” and looks back over his playing career, including the vainest teammate.

He was a star of the Rossoneri midfield from 1999 to 2012, then returned as Coach with the task of reminding players what representing this historic club truly means.

“Milan have always been a dream, as I supported this side when I was a kid,” Gattuso told DAZN Italia.

“When Milan won the European Cup against Steaua Bucharest, my father took me to see the parade. My dream has always been to lift a trophy wearing the Milan jersey.”

Rino was asked about his many teammates over the years at San Siro and specifically the vainest.

“David Beckham, Marco Borriello and of course Fernando Redondo, who wore a different outfit every single day. It’s more difficult to pick the most talented teammate, because I played alongside many Ballon d’Or winners.

“Kakha Kaladze was the biggest troublemaker and whenever I wanted to stir up some trouble, he was always the first to back me up. When my birthday would go by, he’d start a countdown and remind me every single day of how long it was until my next birthday.”

Gattuso was asked the strangest thing he’d ever done for a bet and went back to a story that remains legendary among his teammates.

“The day before the Champions League semi-final against Manchester United, I had the idea of eating a snail. Everyone was shocked.”

He;s a good bloke.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You are contradicting yourself when it comes to the derby, his subs against Inter where not-obvious and worked

I would have contradicted myself if what you said was fact and not just your opinion(which I don't share).

he put pace on the wings with Kessie/Conti & Calabria + Samu, used the added width to make room fo two strikers and Suso (and Samu from time to time) and dropped Hakan deeper to distribute balls.

The "non-obvious" sub that I found stupid was RR-Cutrone, right after Bakayoko's goal. It killed off the momentum and nothing much happened until Politano won the penalty and we were back to being down by 2 goals again.

Kessie-Conti sub corrected that mistake.

Keeping Suso on at the end made sense since we were going all in to get an equalizer against a side that were defending the result.

Starting Suso and not replacing him after half-time, on the other hand, were horrible decisions if you know your team is being over-run and you have a passenger on the right flank.

This sequence defined the first 65 mins

giphy.gif

do you not remember how many free assists biglia was handing out to napoli that game? subbing him was no brainer. however, i wouldn't have brought in bakayoko.

Yes, I do remember his passes that lead to a chance and goal conceded. I even mentioned them and they were part of the point.
Taking out the player in the most delicate role for two mistakes, even though you had no good alternatives - while you're still in the lead against Napoli at San Paolo - was such a knee-jerk match-thread poster thing to do.
And it turned out just how any person with sense would fear it would do.

Last edited:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Damn, look at Samu in the space...

What pisses me off the most about Suso in that sequence is that he didn't make a run like Hakan and Piatek when Samu got the ball.
But nah, we can't have fast transitions and counter-attacks.
That's for the opponents.(they got a corner from their counter at the end, and then a 2nd corner which they scored from)

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
That sequence of events was just incredible.

What could have been a 3 against 2 situation became a goal against us. All because a) Suso couldnt run, and b) Suso couldnt pass.

He's a massive massive liability now and shouldnt be risked in our next few matches.

voom

Banned
Reaction score
New coach regardless coppa and CL position.Please no more Milan legends as
coaches.Cannot afford Milan to be the test ground for "to be" "Milan legendary coaches"

Pippo,Brocchi,Seedorf and now Gattuso.Enough is enogh.

RR need bench and Suso.We play without concept and ideas upfront, its emberassing.

indo

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
When did u will learn rino? Not all of your player had the same energy, the same stamina, the same grinta like u.

What did u expect when most of your player even your strikers or winger helping the defence for most of the time? They will already gasses out when u want them to attack. Learn that gattuso, learn that!

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
When did u will learn rino? Not all of your player had the same energy, the same stamina, the same grinta like u.

What did u expect when most of your player even your strikers or winger helping the defence for most of the time? They will already gasses out when u want them to attack. Learn that gattuso, learn that!

We have 2019 not 1920, there are very few attackers without defensive duties.

Schedule