Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
We've actually not seen Conor at 155 yet. His power will overwhelm the fighters there as well. Don't take fucking terminator Nate az an example lol.

155 is bad for him because of the style of the fighters. Alvarez, RDA, Khabib will all grind on him. I think he'll knock out Ferguson, Cowboy etc.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
khabib and tony ferguson deserve it more than he does

tony ferguson already beat him, khabib would beat him comfortably IMO.

While i agree that Khabib is a good fighter, in what way he deserves it more? His only respectable win since he got in the UFC is Rafael dos Anjos. In his last fight he beat another nobody in Darrell Horcher who gave him a lot of trouble mind you.

Tony ferguson i agree should get the next title shot, that's why i said that Barboza needs one more win (hell even two wins, would be fair), not that he should have it now.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
there you go calling it a fluke again :head: Grazie holm for that wonderful fight :proud:

maybe if ronda changed coaches she could beat holm but if she stays with the galliani of coaches..then holm is going to beat her again.

whenever she tried to throw her in the fight it didnt work, and ronda can't wrestle.

anyways I don't think ronda is gonna fight holm IF she comes back, probably a straight title shot vs nunes or whoever is holding the belt by that time :lol:

I didn't say it's not a wonderful fight and Holms didn't have a great game plan.

With literally any other coaches or camp, Ronda would have came to that fight with a different strategy which is why I considered it a fluke. Not because I think Ronda can best Holly easily but rather her coach put up the DUMBEST possible game plan, and I don't expect that to happen again if they fought again.

"When she tried to throws it didn't work" it was because she had already tried to stand there and strike and was made to look silly. None of her "throw attempts" that fight were very well set-up nor had the angle that she needed. If Ronda fought similar to how Tate did approaching the Holly fight, the result would have been different.

Once again, I am not using "fluke" in a sense of it was BS like a flash knockout, more in a sense that something with extremely small likelihood to happen, happened.

they're all scared of cyborg, she would beat every single one of them pretty easily.

first tate and holm were down to fight cyborg at 145, tate hasn't said anything and now holm's camp is like "yes at 135"

cyborg is too muscular to fight at 135, I would love to see her fight ronda :D

Not too muscular, she'd have trouble making it period and be effective for the fight. Miesha and Holly's camp both said they'd be willing to take on Cyborg at 145 but they quickly realized how stupid that was after their fighter was exposed.

btw, curupira

Around the time when Holm and Conor both lost on submission, Holm was praised for not tapping. I don't understand that, when you're loosing, why not tap?

Alright if it's a choke, but remember when Nogeira didn't tap vs Mir? He broke his fucking arm. What's the point of that??

With Big Nog, he has always been a tough competitor and is someone that I respect a lot and also come from the old school, so I don't want to crap talk him.

However, that mentality that if you "tap" you are a bitch or whatever (especially on limb cranks and not chokes) is really that new mma fan BS mentality that I hate. Most people do not understand grappling and it's really some savagery mentality, although there are exceptions

If a fighter had a realistic plan to escape, I understand not tapping. In both cases of Holly and Conor, neither had a realistic solution to escape the position. In which case you are only prolonging your suffering and going out "on your own terms" I suppose. It's a pointless display of bravado that basically says, "I didn't surrender".

In the case of Sage Northcutt, he should not have tapped, anybody above blue belt level knows he was not in any danger and could have easily gotten out.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
With Big Nog, he has always been a tough competitor and is someone that I respect a lot and also come from the old school, so I don't want to crap talk him.

However, that mentality that if you "tap" you are a bitch or whatever (especially on limb cranks and not chokes) is really that new mma fan BS mentality that I hate. Most people do not understand grappling and it's really some savagery mentality, although there are exceptions

https://youtu.be/JzQhI7WNBN0?t=3783

I mean, Renzo Gracie isn't exactly new generation.

And it's not so much that you're a bitch if you tap, it's more that you are tough if you DON'T tap. Silly nonetheless.

In the case of Sage Northcutt, he should not have tapped, anybody above blue belt level knows he was not in any danger and could have easily gotten out.

This guy is of an different opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjCvU33jas

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/JzQhI7WNBN0?t=3783

I mean, Renzo Gracie isn't exactly new generation.

And it's not so much that you're a bitch if you tap, it's more that you are tough if you DON'T tap. Silly nonetheless.

This guy is of an different opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjjCvU33jas

Rener said HE DID NOT TAP TOO FAST. He also said that it could have been escaped and maybe he shouldn't have tapped if he began working the proper defense, but he did add the caveat that in retrospect any technique can be escaped.

I stand by my original comment, the Von Flue or inverted Von Flue choke are low % chokes. For a fundamentally sound Blue Belt and above, if you begin working the correct defense for that choke, it is very low % and usually the guy will give it up or use your defense to set up his next move. Sage did not react at all in terms of proper defense.

But then again, he is a Daddy's boy who trains with Gracie Barra (in BJJ world, GB is a big team but they are ran like franchises, must buy their gear, and a lot of their schools cater to more of a family setting instead of competitive ones). There are high level GB schools, but the one he trains at is not one of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still firmly believe if you are caught with no way out, the smart and responsible thing to do is to tap. But keep in mind, I also don't fight for a living so I can't really speak on how MMA fighters should approach this. Also in BJJ, you get paid less money (couple of hundred at most couple of G's unless you are a BJJ superstar, then you are looking at maybe 10gs) for tournaments. Therefore, most BJJ pros compete quite often and injury would set them back quite a bit. Which is why BJJ guys are less likely to risk it all unless its for a really prestigious title or big prize money.

The really old school Vale Tudo generation holds that believe as well about being tough.

My biggest gripe is not with fighter themselves holding these views because at the end of the day it is their body and they can do what they wish. The thing that grinds my gears the most is when fans call fighters "pussy", "wuss", "quitter", etc. when the fighter tap.

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
The pussy, quitter, wuss thing is just silly and I don't think anyone takes those seriously. And I agree with you that anyone are free to do what they want with their body, I don't judge. But I simply can't understand how someone would let their arm och leg break, when they know that they can't escape.

Regarding sage, I don't know much about bjj, so I don't really have an opinion. Just remember seeing that vid when sage lost on sub.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The pussy, quitter, wuss thing is just silly and I don't think anyone takes those seriously. And I agree with you that anyone are free to do what they want with their body, I don't judge. But I simply can't understand how someone would let their arm och leg break, when they know that they can't escape.

Regarding sage, I don't know much about bjj, so I don't really have an opinion. Just remember seeing that vid when sage lost on sub.

Overall, with Sage it just seems his dad is a huge annoyance.

Did you hear about him sparring with Ilya Grad who is an Israeli Muay Thai champion?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/1...sage-northcutt-has-to-leave-for-a-serious-gym

The sparring footage that is in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0c26_rwY8

In his last fight, you can also see his dad in the corner trying to get some words in and at some point you can tell Sage looking over hoping his dad would shut up.

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard something about this, but never seen any articles or vids.

This was hilarious, Ilya didn't do anything out of line. Sage was the one pushing the pace from what I could see. I actually watched that whole vid waiting for something to happen :lol:

Don't hate on Sage because his father is an imbecile.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
@(arab) sage

If Northcutt becomes a huge star, you'll have to change your name brah.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Here's the other POV from the sage story, both should be considered.

http://www.lowkickmma.com/News/excl...d-responds-to-reports-of-sparring-gone-wrong/

Also this was pretty low from Ilya. What happens in the gym should stay there.

“I don’t get it, you want be a fighter but you can’t get hit? also your dad who never fought wants to be the coach. MMA is for tough people not for a sissy, if you are sissy you should try ballet. Lucky for you I was not at my school today because if I was there I will punch you and your fricking dad on the face. Again if u can’t get hit you should keep just hit the pads like u always do and get your ass kick like the last fight. So I hope u and your dad see my post and came back so I can teach you both a lesson. Sissy big time. #‎ufcisformennotforsissys”

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Here's the other POV from the sage story, both should be considered.

http://www.lowkickmma.com/News/excl...d-responds-to-reports-of-sparring-gone-wrong/

Also this was pretty low from Ilya. What happens in the gym should stay there.

1. You are mistaken MB,

The drama didn’t stop there, however, as Gracie Barra Westchase-Houston owner Ulpiano Malachias also called out Northcutt and his dad in a big way in a Facebook post that was later taken down.

The quote you posted was from Ulpiano, not Ilya.

2. I have seen Sage's dad's side, if you watch the video it becomes clear how stupid his dad sounds trying to challenge Ilya's credentials.

That couple with that this isn't the first time:

http://smackhisface.com/2015/12/02/...ar-mma-gym-because-his-father-doesnt-approve/

"They work out together nearly every day at a Lifetime Fitness in Katy, Texas, their hometown just outside of Houston." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And also that his dad has an extremely shady history:
http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1990/november/the-thin-white-line/

I tend to side with Ilya and Tristar on this issue.

Last edited:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Haha I don't know and I don't care :lol: Sage (both of them) are too insignificant.

You get way too emotional, Curu :D

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Haha I don't know and I don't care :lol: Sage (both of them) are too insignificant.

You get way too emotional, Curu :D

It's true. :(

I am from the same city as him and I know lots of people in the "circle" so I feel strongly about certain people and their characters.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Sage (both of them) are too insignificant.

giphy.gif

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Purple.

I started out doing MMA but decided it was too much after taking a head kick from a pro-MMA fighter.

:eek:

i was thinking about taking jiujitsu classes at big nog's gym over here, but it probably costs a lot of $$$ and I don't know if i would enjoy it.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

i was thinking about taking jiujitsu classes at big nog's gym over here, but it probably costs a lot of $$$ and I don't know if i would enjoy it.

Are you in Cali?

Usually BJJ is $100-200 a month. Only really high if you train under a big name BJJ competitor.

If you are thinking about it you should give it a try, its really fun (once you grasp the fundamentals) and I find that it helps a lot off the mats in terms of stress and just overall mental well being.

May I ask why you think you wouldn't enjoy it?

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Purple.

I started out doing MMA but decided it was too much after taking a head kick from a pro-MMA fighter.

Damn, must have felt pretty bad. :lol:

I've been training Muay Thai for a couple of years now, never been hit hard in the head, but sometimes when the shins meet... that hurts like hell.

Maybe it sounds weird, but I wanna get knocked out once, just to know how it feels.

You should do it.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you in Cali?

Usually BJJ is $100-200 a month. Only really high if you train under a big name BJJ competitor.

If you are thinking about it you should give it a try, its really fun (once you grasp the fundamentals) and I find that it helps a lot off the mats in terms of stress and just overall mental well being.

May I ask why you think you wouldn't enjoy it?

Dubai

I'm an impatient sore loser :D

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score

BJJ is one of those special martial arts where spirituality is a big part. I really want to start training BJJ but we don't really have good clubs here sadly.

And I agree, it's fun as hell.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Damn, must have felt pretty bad. :lol:

I've been training Muay Thai for a couple of years now, never been hit hard in the head, but sometimes when the shins meet... that hurts like hell.

Maybe it sounds weird, but I wanna get knocked out once, just to know how it feels.

You should do it.

Yea tell me about it man. The guy was training for a fight so we got all able bodied men to go spar with him. The round was only 3 minutes long, but I remember doing "well" and throwing combos and blocking. I distinctly remember getting tired and looking over at the clock to see how much time was left and there was 2 minute at like 15 seconds and at that point my arms and leg felt like lead and all I could do was block.

I remember lasting until there was 20 seconds left and I thought to myself I am going to make it after all. Then dude throws a straight, cross, hook combo and I block all 3, just when I thought I was good came the kick and it shut my lights out, right through the head gear.

And dude, I really don't think you'd want that feeling. I have been choked out multiple times from BJJ and every time it was a pleasant feeling afterwards, but after the headkick I had a massive headache and a general feeling of nausea.

Dubai

I'm an impatient sore loser :D

Jiu Jitsu would probably help, not sure how good Big Nog's school over there is though. I would recommend a PURE BJJ school as you won't have grapplers training for MMA and going aggro af. There are tons of clubs here in the US geared towards more family oriented students, that way you won't feel like you are getting mashed on all the time.

Get some patience and keep being a sore loser, best combo.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BJJ is one of those special martial arts where spirituality is a big part. I really want to start training BJJ but we don't really have good clubs here sadly.

And I agree, it's fun as hell.

Are you located in Sweden? I remember you saying to me you were in one of your previous posts but I am not sure.

If you are, I hear BJJ is getting bigger in Sweden and there are lots of newer schools opening up.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I have been choked out multiple times from BJJ and every time it was a pleasant feeling afterwards

Pleasant how?

Are you located in Sweden? I remember you saying to me you were in one of your previous posts but I am not sure.

If you are, I hear BJJ is getting bigger in Sweden and there are lots of newer schools opening up.

yup, sweden.

mma and bjj is pretty big in sweden compared to other european countries (except for uk). but i haven't been impressed by any of the schools i've see so far. i haven't found a "pure" bjj school.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Pleasant how?

I feel like I took a long ass nap (and had a vivid dream that I still remember) and woke up refreshed af. Then when I ask, my teammates tells me I've only been out for 5 seconds.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Hoping for Lawler to win.

A couple more title defenses and he can be considered a GOAT.

i need to re-watch fight vs Condit. just saw the him vs mcdonald2. he's a joy to watch.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's gonna take care of this fight within 3 rounds.

I only see woodley beating him if he catches him clean, if this goes to decision I see lawler winning.

the co main event might end up being a good fight, I like watching rose namajunas and her opponent is a striker.

Last edited:

Schedule