The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 26-08-2019, 07:25   #81
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Heís going public and putting pressure on the management at this stage. Thankfully the Italian window stopped that stupid early closure experiment for exactly this reason.

If we do not sign two starters for the attack, instead of Suso and Samu, then I think Giampaolo would be correct to move to a wider attack (a 4-3-3). But Iím really hoping that we sign the two attackers. Or once again this would be a window where we failed to solve such a blatantly obvious problem in the team.

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 09:34   #82
joyrider
Il Moderati

433 please mister, okay.
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:56   #83
Ronin
Milansochist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

Accidentally found this in a management book

Kinda describes our situation, even though it's not about our Gattuso))

Signature
We practice unpopular culture, that is honour, courage and commitment!

Last edited by Ronin; 26-08-2019 at 12:59.
Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 13:01   #84
kurnavin.andrey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
433 please mister, okay.
4312 can be played if ACM will use wingbacks as they should be used - to play more actively in the opposition area.
kurnavin.andrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 20:06   #85
joyrider
Il Moderati

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurnavin.andrey View Post
4312 can be played if ACM will use wingbacks as they should be used - to play more actively in the opposition area.
Thatís why we got Theo and they also want Aurier.
joyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 21:23   #86
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Yes indeed.. two fast fullbacks will make a world of difference to what we saw yesterday. Yet, itís not enough.

Signature
Old 26-08-2019, 22:09   #87
Ronin
Milansochist

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho

I don't like this approach of pushing for the system you want to play, even if you don't have the resources for it. A good coach has to adapt to what he has at disposal. Giampaolo is not Guardiola and we are not Manchester City.

He was given a squad that was 1 point behind CL last year, while playing under a newbie coach. His job for this year is to take that level and improve it with 15-20% so that it is enough to get that CL place.

With 2-3 smart signings in key areas and some improvements in the technical area we should be able to achieve this objective.

1. Get a competent, fast LW
2. Replace RR
3. Sign a good MF
4. Sign some good depth players
5. Improve technical details

Although, point 0 would be to get a proven coach in the 1st place (which GP isn't).

Of course, I'm no coach or expert, but the action plan seems quite simple to me.

Why try this complicated overhaul straight from season 1, when there is a clear lack of necessary pieces and there's so much pressure to get this result? Seems quite stupid to me.

Why play Samu and Borini when you have Kessie and Leao? Even if they don't know the "system", their quality is much higher.

It's only the 1st game, but the signs of ego and stupidity are there. Hopefully, his ego is not that high and he'll make the necessary adjustments for the next one.

5 minutes of Suso on the wing has delivered more danger than the hole other 85 minutes.

Signature

Last edited by Ronin; 26-08-2019 at 22:13.
Old 26-08-2019, 22:18   #88
Ronin
Milansochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
Yes indeed.. two fast fullbacks will make a world of difference to what we saw yesterday. Yet, itís not enough.
Did you notice our FBs indications yesterday? It was clear that GP has instructed them to be defensive and not go forward...it's not the problem of Calabria not being fast, but rather that he was told not to cross onto the opposing half... the whole setup was ridiculously stupid

Signature
Old 26-08-2019, 23:36   #89
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Did you notice our FBs indications yesterday? It was clear that GP has instructed them to be defensive and not go forward...i
Yup. This was also the case in Sampdoria.

Fullbacks are the engine of the team nowadays.
If they sit back, then the whole team will look lethargic.
One really good thing Rino did was establishing Calabria, who covered a lot more ground than Abate. This got the whole team going, and we were able to go toe to toe with teams like Lazio who try to outrun opponents.

Miha also made similar progresses on this front, albeit in a different way, before Montella undid them.
Looks like history is repeating itself.

Signature
Goodfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 10:40   #90
Boban1982
Scudetto 18

He needs to learn and learn fast.

Signature
Boban1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:32   #91
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Hakan on only 11.17km. (used to be around 12km last season)
Calabria on 10.075km. (used to be around 11km last season)
Kessie, who came on after 60 mins, averaging only 6.5km/h (it used to be between 7.5km and 8.0km last season)

This is very similar to the numbers his Sampdoria put up.
It was not unusual for them to cover less than 100km, even without red cards.

They bring down the opponents' numbers as well.
It's the result of Giampaolo's emphasis on a compact defense, which he has in common with Simeone. I wonder if Simeone picked it up from him when he replaced him at Catania.

Blegh. Not in my taste at all.

Signature

Last edited by Goodfella; 27-08-2019 at 12:35.
Old 27-08-2019, 12:58   #92
Buske
AC Milan Legend

It seems weird now after that horror first game. But yeah, why not just pick up from last year... same team, same formation.. get some upgrades, sell/release some fodder.

In theory it sounds simple, but we decided to change whole system and then STILL play with Suso, Samu upfront.
Idk what happened, maybe they failed to land their transfer targets earlier and this is what happened.

Still, this team plays 4-3-3 for years now, it was obvious if you field the same players and put them in different formation that they will look worse.
Buske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:02   #93
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post

Hakan on only 11.17km. (used to be around 12km last season)
Calabria on 10.075km. (used to be around 11km last season)
Kessie, who came on after 60 mins, averaging only 6.5km/h (it used to be between 7.5km and 8.0km last season)

This is very similar to the numbers his Sampdoria put up.
It was not unusual for them to cover less than 100km, even without red cards.

They bring down the opponents' numbers as well.
It's the result of Giampaolo's emphasis on a compact defense, which he has in common with Simeone. I wonder if Simeone picked it up from him when he replaced him at Catania.

Blegh. Not in my taste at all.
It's the compactness of the team plus the emphasis on group movement. The spacing between players remains constant as much as possible. So individual solo runs become almost non-existent.

Exactly to my taste btw The Udinese match was one of the ugliest possible renditions of this style, but we'll soon see good ones.

Signature
Old 27-08-2019, 13:45   #94
Az.
Se7en

Fav. Players: Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Quote:
It's the compactness of the team plus the emphasis on group movement. The spacing between players remains constant as much as possible. So individual solo runs become almost non-existent.

Exactly to my taste btw The Udinese match was one of the ugliest possible renditions of this style, but we'll soon see good ones.
Did you deduct that from GP's comments about how the current squad can't play in his system, and he needs to switch to something else?

Signature
Az. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:54   #95
Goodfella
AC Milan Icon

Quote:

Yeah, he also has the overemphasis on group movement thing in common with Simeone.

I don't think the style has as much upside as those that don't restrict the FBs, like Klopp's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az. View Post
Did you deduct that from GP's comments about how the current squad can't play in his system, and he needs to switch to something else?
It's not exclusive to 4-3-1-2.

Signature
Old 27-08-2019, 14:23   #96
necromancer
Lo Stile di Pioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella View Post
Yeah, he also has the overemphasis on group movement thing in common with Simeone.

I don't think the style has as much upside as those that don't restrict the FBs, like Klopp's.
Upside is derived from those intensely capable, modern footballers who can pick his moment to temporarily step above the system while working with the system like clockwork at other times (like a Salah). We don't have any at the moment. Until we reach that level, this would be an optimal path.

Signature
Old 27-08-2019, 17:58   #97
Savo
Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey

Fav. Players: Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti

The game v. Udinese was sloppier, and less creative than any game we played under Rino, yet this was Rino's greatest criticism... lack of creativity. Well at least with Rino we played with grit, passion/heart, etc and appeared to be a team unit.

I still have faith in Giampaolo (lets be real though, my expectations for him are to hopefully fight for 4th at most) but he made 3 massive mistakes already...

1) playing a formation that doesn't suit the current team of players he has
2) even more egregiously, if he was gonna force 4-3-1-2, we do have better options for those slots than what he fielded this weekend (really going to force suso to be AM and play samu up top???)
3) besides the formation and the players chosen, the individual movements and ideas were so tame that we didn't even produce a single threat all game... an entire 90 minutes with no real goal scoring chance... wow... this one scares me the most because this one most directly relates to coaching/philosophy

Signature
My favorite goal (the 2nd one) - Kaka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiMVT...eature=related

Maldini... true legend... the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rqnwVBVQE

Last edited by Savo; 27-08-2019 at 18:01.
Savo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 20:19   #98
Balo45
AC Milan Legend

I’ve been saying that GP makes his fullbacks sit the entire summer, it’s been well known style of his since sampdoria, but people see 4312 and assume bombing fullbacks without even looking into it.

Theo might force a change in this style. People have given up on Conti as well, but players need to mentally and physically recover from injuries, and I think at the very least he’ll be a good option to bring in on the right. I like Calabria as well. GP likes fullbacks to sit and advance the ball and only go forward when we’re already established in the final third. The wside midfielders tended to drift wide more. I would prefer the fullbacks add some width and the center mids stay as close as possible to advance the ball in quick combos, something many of his teams use. I’m sure we’ll see that when the midfield is fit and fully integrated though, I’m not worried about that.

I was disappointed with the lack of pressing we did. BUT, to be fair, I don’t expect this to be our usual midfield. Hakan as the deepest restricts a lot of that I would think. Look at the United game, we moved the ball well but the Suso goal came from high pressing and turnovers. Turnovers high up the field lead to defensive errors, and Milan needs to create more them. For the first time in years we have a team more than capable of pressing high. Kessie, Hakan, Paqueta yesterday, they’re willing runners. Bennacer as well is very mobile and suited to sit at the base, and he has the legs for it. Very high in balls recovered. Going forward that’s the major change i want to see.
Balo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 22:08   #99
MilanMB
Serendipity

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.

Hakan as regista, Paqueta unfit and Borini as an excuse of a football player - that was our midfield. It's easy to find excuses for the last game and I'm gonna do so

From what I saw of Bennacer, I really look forward to the next game just to see him. If he delivers then Biglia will be the reserve sooner than we thought.

Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 22:11   #100
MilanMB
Serendipity

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Romagnoli.

Regarding the fullbacks, I don't know how he did it at samp, but both mezzala and especially Paqueta were wide and covered ground that you'd usually see FB's do in a 4312. I don't know if that's the long term plan, because in that case I'd rater see Paqueta on the right side because I don't think he'll be as efficient on the left, unless we want someone to feed the area with crosses. Paqueta should be more central and direct.

Signature
GOAT
MilanMB is offline   Reply With Quote