Vincenzo Montella Thread

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
and yeah to much useless rumours...
new rumour galliani: we will sign pele on january to resolve our scoring problem, who else than someone that scored more htan 1000 goals. say galliani on a interview on cartoonnetwork :D
he is perfect he is only around 70 we should sign him but we will give up on the bet for 100 bucks..

:lol::fp:

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
He looks like Joey Tribbiani

images

Montella-Fiorentina.jpg

Holy shit :lol::thumbsup:

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Commoders
Patosheva: The First Commoder
Commoders 2: The Age of Swagger
Pubes: The Winter Commoder

These have all been solid editions. But I'm still patiently waiting for
Commoders: Civil War

Wild

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Good luck Monte ... give him a say while getting players plz.
Cant wait for the new season since I miss Milan.

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
For once, we've got a coach who at least has his own style.

I hope Milan actually supports his ideas in the market. They seem to have forgotten passing midfielders actually exist.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What are the mods on this forum doing? This has been made official by Milan days ago!!

Anyways

What a man :love:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Milanista_7

#UCLDNA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, T.Silva, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Romagnoli
Still havent moved this thread?? What are you waiting for lazy admins :fp: :head:

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
aayyeee.

hope he endlessly makes this point to galliani and berlusconi so that they sign the players he wants

That's just an effect. The root cause is different. Juve actually has professional management. Change that and quality players will follow...

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
He should have answered the mgt :o

ikita

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Ricardo Kaka, Alessandro Nesta
That's just an effect. The root cause is different. Juve actually has professional management. Change that and quality players will follow...

we are stuck with the root cause for 3 years if the rumors are true.

:lol:

adit

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
good choice, i don't have too much expectation tbh, build a team with mediocre players is not easy task, it need at least 2 years to evaluate whether he is good manager or not, so that being said i'm ok with middle position at the end of the season, just don't fire him on next year Berlu

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Wow, why was this thread still in Transfers?

Wouldnt have imagined 10 years back when the first post was made that he would be here now as a coach!

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score

Wouldnt have imagined 10 years back when the first post was made that he would be here now as a coach!

definetly not the lazy mods fault

i think it was a interweb error

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Not a terrible appointment, atleast we should play some semi decent football I guess.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
When Montella took over Fiorentina, more than half (almost 2/3) of the squad was new. He knows how to start a new team by asking for the right players (although Fiorentina had a great DS which we don't even have).

Montella's style of play:

Obviously desires possession, fluid formations that change a lot during a season and sometimes games. No real fixed formation (depends on opposition and players in form).

Defense:

Usually sticks with 4 at the back, but equally comfortable with 3. In central defense, seems like only Romagnoli really fits with a possession based strategy. The rest of our CB's are not comfortable with the ball under pressure. I'd love to see Romagnoli on the left of a back three. Even if we stick with 4 most of the time, Montella usually spreads the CB's very wide in possession, dropping his DM in the hole and pushing his FB's very very wide and high (Cuadrado was deadly in this way). Abate and Antonelli (and DeS somewhat) are very good in WB positions, and especially Abate is quick enough to track back on turnovers. What this means is that our FB's will almost always occupy the opposition defense, making sure they don't defend narrow.

DM:

Must be very comfortable on the ball, able to slot into the hole in the center of the defense in possession, making long diagonal passes and shuffling the ball around the middle. Montella used Montolivo for this quite effectively. Will be great to see him back doing the same again, but he needs a deputy. Paredes seems a good fit, but if I had infinite money i'd get Javi Martinez.

CM:

This is usually a pair of excellent ball playing midfielders, able to run around taking up neat positions behind the midfield, maintaining possession and able to burst forward at any time. Borja Valero is extremely impressive in this role. I'm hoping that Bertolacci can redeem himself with this type of role that sort of fits his toolset. I don't see any other player fitting this role (i'd rather see Bonaventura higher up). Montella sometimes uses a defensive minded player, and Kucka might fit well there and is a good option to have against stronger teams.

Attack:

This pretty much depends on the players at his disposal. If he has wingers, he goes wide with a trident. If his team is stacked with AM's, he'll go Xmas tree or 3421 with two of them. Good central attackers and a quality trequartista? He goes 4312. He doesn't really seem to have any preference beyond maximizing the potential of his attackers.

For now, it seems like we're working to have a quality trident attack (we have no real wingers, maybe Bonaventura only fits) but we do have a good double pairing (Niang/Lapa, Bacca). We need a great AM. I'm guessing we'll get a right winger and a trequartista, to keep our options open. Montella is all about flexibility and he won't want to be fixed into one system.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
When Montella took over Fiorentina, more than half (almost 2/3) of the squad was new. He knows how to start a new team by asking for the right players (although Fiorentina had a great DS which we don't even have).

Montella's style of play:

Obviously desires possession, fluid formations that change a lot during a season and sometimes games. No real fixed formation (depends on opposition and players in form).

Defense:

Usually sticks with 4 at the back, but equally comfortable with 3. In central defense, seems like only Romagnoli really fits with a possession based strategy. The rest of our CB's are not comfortable with the ball under pressure. I'd love to see Romagnoli on the left of a back three. Even if we stick with 4 most of the time, Montella usually spreads the CB's very wide in possession, dropping his DM in the hole and pushing his FB's very very wide and high (Cuadrado was deadly in this way). Abate and Antonelli (and DeS somewhat) are very good in WB positions, and especially Abate is quick enough to track back on turnovers. What this means is that our FB's will almost always occupy the opposition defense, making sure they don't defend narrow.

DM:

Must be very comfortable on the ball, able to slot into the hole in the center of the defense in possession, making long diagonal passes and shuffling the ball around the middle. Montella used Montolivo for this quite effectively. Will be great to see him back doing the same again, but he needs a deputy. Paredes seems a good fit, but if I had infinite money i'd get Javi Martinez.

CM:

This is usually a pair of excellent ball playing midfielders, able to run around taking up neat positions behind the midfield, maintaining possession and able to burst forward at any time. Borja Valero is extremely impressive in this role. I'm hoping that Bertolacci can redeem himself with this type of role that sort of fits his toolset. I don't see any other player fitting this role (i'd rather see Bonaventura higher up). Montella sometimes uses a defensive minded player, and Kucka might fit well there and is a good option to have against stronger teams.

Attack:

This pretty much depends on the players at his disposal. If he has wingers, he goes wide with a trident. If his team is stacked with AM's, he'll go Xmas tree or 3421 with two of them. Good central attackers and a quality trequartista? He goes 4312. He doesn't really seem to have any preference beyond maximizing the potential of his attackers.

For now, it seems like we're working to have a quality trident attack (we have no real wingers, maybe Bonaventura only fits) but we do have a good double pairing (Niang/Lapa, Bacca). We need a great AM. I'm guessing we'll get a right winger and a trequartista, to keep our options open. Montella is all about flexibility and he won't want to be fixed into one system.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

De Sciglio could learn this role. He's not that comfortable or deadly playing very high anyway. We still would need someone experienced in the middle. A leader type.

Abate is quick but pretty much useless in attack. That's why we desperately need a new rb/rwb. I liked the Aleix Vidal rumours but I would be happy with Bruno Peres as well.

I don't think Berto is suited for this role at all. We need a lot of new midfielders.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

De Sciglio could learn this role. He's not that comfortable or deadly playing very high anyway. We still would need someone experienced in the middle. A leader type.

Abate is quick but pretty much useless in attack. That's why we desperately need a new rb/rwb. I liked the Aleix Vidal rumours but I would be happy with Bruno Peres as well.

I don't think Berto is suited for this role at all. We need a lot of new midfielders.

Yea De Sciglio is better defensively and passing wise than being a swashbuckling attacking presence going forward. He can learn the Tomovic/Roncaglia role which allowed Montella to switch from a back 3 to a back 4 in game. The central player in the back three is a difficult position requiring great passing, composure and reading of the game.

I have not seen enough of Musacchio to know if he would be able to do this. The ideal player in world football for this role is Thiago Silva, then Bonucci.

I like the idea of Bruno Peres to compete with Abate for the right sided roles.

Berto could be the most attacking of the 3 midfielders if the other two are more reserved and stronger defensively along with being very comfortable on the ball.

If we were to play a very attacking midfield 3 such as:

Kovacic Paredes Zielinski

These players have the ability to retain the ball under pressure at the very least even though they are not individually the best defenders. Berto does not have the same composure or resistance to pressing as these guys do so it will expose the defensive flaws of the entire unit.

Ideally Monto continues to start and someone like Paredes would be the backup and Kucka be kept to make sure we have a midfielder with a physical presence. I really think Kovacic can be a very good CM in the Modric mold but will need time to develop the defensive side of his game.

I prefer to give a chance to young high potential players than signing mediocre rubbish like Witsel with a low ceiling.

Realistically we cannot sign the best names in the world currently due to our situation (someone like Hamsik for example who I may think be an exception), so I am content with this scenario.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho

lol this guy was always the first player i transferred to Milan when playing manager mode in fifa 05/06. We has some real shit strikers on our team then...marcio amoroso :lol: :lol:

Montella had the best celebration of any player :D

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Second to Totti.

Marcio Amoroso haha.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Marco Delvecchio had a good career thanks to Montella

Dzidzius

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
So, he blocked the sale of Poli and we are maybe getting another lot of loans in and squad players. It must be due to delays in sale and the team would not be ready for the season if we start selling players but it also means that we have a wrong guy for a coach and really should have gone for an experienced interim coach post euro who could do something with what we got.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
So, he blocked the sale of Poli and we are maybe getting another lot of loans in and squad players. It must be due to delays in sale and the team would not be ready for the season if we start selling players but it also means that we have a wrong guy for a coach and really should have gone for an experienced interim coach post euro who could do something with what we got.

dude, you conflict yourself.

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria
He blocked the sale of Poli because Poli is a fantastic reserve that can play RB or any side of CM. Montella is a god compared to the Mihajlocuck and Inzaghi lol