Week 6: Milan - Fiorentina 29/09/19 20:45 CET

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
EFiFZNXXUAEuXcZ

This is a fresh chance at three points.

It's maybe fair to say that even a win won't change the satisfaction of the fans, but if we repeat the first half vs Torino for an entire match we might win convincingly.

Let's hope Giampaolo and the boys start redeeming themselves.

FORZA MILAN!

punisher

God Bless Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko
Pathetic team with pathetic management.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Let's hope GP persists with Theo, Bennacer and Leao despite the results.

I want to see:

Gigio
Calabria Musacchio Romagnoli Theo
Krunic Bennacer Paqueta
Hakan
Leao Rebic

Although we probably will get Suso as usual.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
We can’t lose to Montella - that would be a new low!

Tbh I’m fearing Ribery/Chiesa 1v1 vs Musacchio .

Pretty sure Giampaolo will start Biglia for this one :|

Still think we gonna win 3-1 Pjona , Leao and Suso to score ! Forza

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Brace by tek9.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Giampaolo fields that lineup, and Fio play like they've done lately, then I expect a lot of chances for both sides.
Time for Piatek to get his shit together.

But Montella also tends to be very cautious against his former teams, especially away to them... He would probably be happy with a 0-0.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Maybe we should try a flat 4-4-2 or a 4-2-2-2 with Kessie - Bennacer in the center and Piatek - Leao in attack. If 4-2-2-2 I`d try Suso - Bona/Paq as the lateral OMs, if 4-4-2 I´d maybe try Samu on the right and Bona or Krunic on the left.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I don't expect a change in the starting XI, and I think it's not needed (except I'm still hoping for Krunic over Kessie, but who knows how Krunic is doing in training). I'm worried about Dalbert against Calabria particularly. We need to play a heavily possession-oriented game. You can't kill a game against this Fiorentina - they keep fighting till the last minute, all their youngsters have great stamina. So we need to stay alert and manage it for 90 minutes.

If it gets into a scrapfest mode, Fiorentina will score more than us.

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
Another somber weekend it seems

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Bench Suso and start Rebic instead. I'm tired of seeing Suso. As soon as I see him I get an instant headache.

Rebic and Leao helping out Piatek, and Piatek getting his shit together by scoring the chances he last season would have scored 100%, yeah that'd be magic.
Continue building on our first half perfomance against Torino. That was magnificent to see. I got tears in my eyes, literally. That's what I want to see.

Also, Krunic instead of Kessie I would very much like to see. Start with Kessie, sub in Krunic.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
He needs to pick the expected line up at the top of the page. Our luck will change soon.

Forza Milan!

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
Montella had a winning-less streak of 19 games in all competitions with Sevilla and Viola.

Then he met the last team GP coached, Sampdoria = Win!

Now he will meet GP's current team.

:monto:

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
This would be a good game to give Krunic a chance.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sacchi: "Giampaolo must feel the esteem of the club like I felt it, Milan need to show Giampaolo confidence like Berlusconi and Galliani did with me" http://bit.ly/2nqe3Eq

Forza Giampaolo!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
GP must also feel the esteem of his squad like Sacchi felt his.

Sacchi was criticized a lot by fans and media alike, since they all considered him a rando who made it to Milan by sheer luck. The management persevered with him despite the constant buzz to fire him in the early months. Our management should show a similar trust and patience with Giampaolo.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sacchi was criticized a lot by fans and media alike, since they all considered him a rando who made it to Milan by sheer luck. The management persevered with him despite the constant buzz to fire him in the early months. Our management should show a similar trust and patience with Giampaolo.

:star:

My faith has only grown since the Torino game. I think we might see some fireworks tomorrow.

Just hope for everything holy that Bennacer starts ahead of Biglia.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giampaolo's post match comments

On Donnarumma’s words: “I was pleased to hear it. You can never lie to the players, they are exposed and because they feel it, they believe it.”

On Torino defeat: “We failed to close the game, to kill it. In certain moments we struggled, but for much of the game, I enjoyed what I saw. The squad played and felt certain in their moves. The management of some moments was not optimal, though.”

On Fiorentina clash: “All the games are complicated, you have to sweat in them all. It is the mentality that must make the difference. I try to respect every opponent and to play with the right mentality. It is the most important thing.”

On the attack: “We had not created many opportunities to score before the Torino game. We had several against Torino. We were inaccurate but the team created opportunities.”

On the 4-3-3: “You have to be able to cover the field well. In Turin, we had excellent positioning. We have to improve on bringing players close to Piatek, these are different dynamics compared to the work we did before.”

On changing from the 4-3-3: “I don’t like to change, when you go for one formation you continue with that one. We have to continue in one direction. In the end, the characteristics of the players will determine the style of play.”

On Paqueta and Hernandez: “Paquetà trained with the team yesterday, he had no muscle damage and can play with us. Hernandez always advances, even when he shouldn’t. He is a great player, but he needs more balance to become even stronger.”

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hard to argue with those comments on Hernandez. He needs to be more balanced while still enhancing his forward contribution.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
More comments.

The tactician is already feeling the pressure after a 2-1 defeat to Torino on Thursday, their third loss in the opening five rounds.

“The only thing we did wrong against Torino was not killing off the game when we had the chance, but the performance showed we are on the right track,” he said in his Press conference.

“I enjoyed most of the game, as we played good football and the team felt confident. At times, we didn’t get some details right and failed to filter out the dangerous through balls.

“My objective is always to play football, to control the game, the tempo and the ball with superior possession to the opponents. I saw that for most of the match at Torino and the attitude seemed to show belief too. Unfortunately, details make the difference.

“Every game is tough and mentality is crucial, so we must respect each opponent and give it our all, not hold back or think we’ve done enough.”

Milan have scored only three Serie A goals in five games, but just one – Hakan Calhanoglu against Brescia – was from open play.

“We created the chances, it’s just that we weren’t precise with the finishing. Krzysztof Piatek is back in his habitat with the 4-3-3 formation. Rafael Leao has the characteristics to play wide left and we must try to push as many players forward into the opposition half as possible.

“This team has temperament, but we need to protect possession better when the opponents try to fight back. There is no such thing as a game we can dominate for 95 minutes, but during the periods when we’re under pressure, we must use our technique to limit the opposition.

“Playing 4-3-3, we have to bring other players close to Piatek, so it’s a different dynamic to the one we used in the first few weeks, but the system ultimately makes little difference, it’s how you interpret it.”

Giampaolo was also criticised for not using the summer signings earlier, as Theo Hernandez, Ismael Bennacer and Rafael Leao were among the best performers against Toro.

“Hernandez was out of action for six weeks, so he’s a player with great power and attacking intent, but he was injured. The same goes for Bennacer and Leao. I have no regrets over not using them earlier. Hernandez always goes on the attack, even when he shouldn’t, whereas Ricardo Rodriguez is more rational out of possession.”

Paolo Maldini confirmed his faith in Giampaolo and Arrigo Sacchi also urged Milan to stick with this Coach.

“I was a director many years ago for a small club, so I know how clubs think and operate. If Milan decided to stick with me, it’s because they evaluated the situation as a whole.

“I understand criticism, Milan have history and millions of fans. I understand disappointment and grumbling, but my duty is to keep working. I must try to find the best performance from my squad and focus only on that task.

“We must all take the positives from the Torino game and multiple them.”

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Montella vs Giampaolo. This will be a fun match

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:thumbsup: Forza Giampaolo and the system.

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Lets see if we build on Torino game.
Tbh it was the first game where we had improvement.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
"On changing from the 4-3-3: “I don’t like to change, when you go for one formation you continue with that one. We have to continue in one direction. In the end, the characteristics of the players will determine the style of play.”

Finally.

Giampaolo is becoming tolerable now that he has stopped forcing 4-3-1-2 on a vastly different squad than the one he had at his disposal at Sampdoria.
I'm looking forward to see what he can add to it.
Starting Theo and Calabria seems like a high risk high reward move which I don't think Rino would make. I like that.

I wish he would drop Suso immediately, but his comments suggest he's very much aware of Suso's flaws and he's trying to improve him. I believe he will realize eventually that he can't change Suso. Hopefully it won't take too long. And hopefully he'll decide to bench him, rather than accept him for what he is and keep relying on his crosses anyway, like Rino did(Rino also tried to change Suso, initially).

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Piatek and suso on the bench please

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Piatek and suso on the bench please

I dont know how Piatek will react if GP puts him on the bench. There's only 2 options, either it fires him up or it brings him down.

I rather ww go with Piatek a bit longer. He had his best game against Torino. He only needs to finish the chances he gets

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giampaolo says his biggest regret is not finishing off the game against Torino. He should have said his biggest regret is subbing out his 2 best players Leao and Bennacer which completely killed off our game. As soon as Bona came on for Leao instead of Rebic for Suso I knew the game would finish off ugly

Schedule