Week 25: Fiorentina - Milan 22/2/20 20.45 CET

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
We don't have anyone capable of playing in the hole behind the striker, as I've been moaning for more than a year now. Hakan completely lacks the vision to play there, Paqueta is very mediocre in decision-making as well as a number of other things, and Bonaventura is far too lacking in fitness for such a role.

Agreed. we could try and spring for someone like Castrovilli in summer. Bruno Fernandes would have been the dream but too pricey and now is at Man U of course. That said, I think Hakan and Paqueta are better there than out wide. Not ideal but we're comparing turds here

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I actually would very much like to see something like this next season if possible

Kessie Baka Bennacer
Deulofeu Ibra Rebic

Adding Baka into the midfield would allow us to play a lazier but more dangerous winger in Deu over Castillejo, who will get plenty of minutes regardless. The midfield can cover ground and is tenacious as well, the intensity would not be lacking. Bennacer would have a little bit more opportunity to roam as well.

Keep in mind this is far from a complete team, but I actually think it’s somewhat possible and could be dangerous. Depth is very important here though, as mentioned by others earlier. Deu will not be as useful in some games as a guy like Samu, same goes for rebic. I won’t give up on Leao and say “he isn’t good enough,” that kind of attitude is shitty and part of what got Milan into the mess we are in. He is more than good enough to be on the bench and earn minutes when he can get them. His attitude is lazy but that can be fixed, he has clear quality. Also a right back is so painfully needed, in fact another good attacking right back could help offset having a midfield that is yet again lacking in passing quality, although even big teams struggle to find players like that sometimes. Take a lesson from Liverpool, if you can’t have a midfield that can play through anyone, make sure they are physical, cover ground, win second balls, and make up for it with bombing fullbacks/wingers

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
I actually would very much like to see something like this next season if possible

Kessie Baka Bennacer
Deulofeu Ibra Rebic

Adding Baka into the midfield would allow us to play a lazier but more dangerous winger in Deu over Castillejo, who will get plenty of minutes regardless. The midfield can cover ground and is tenacious as well, the intensity would not be lacking. Bennacer would have a little bit more opportunity to roam as well.

Keep in mind this is far from a complete team, but I actually think it’s somewhat possible and could be dangerous. Depth is very important here though, as mentioned by others earlier. Deu will not be as useful in some games as a guy like Samu, same goes for rebic. I won’t give up on Leao and say “he isn’t good enough,” that kind of attitude is shitty and part of what got Milan into the mess we are in. He is more than good enough to be on the bench and earn minutes when he can get them. His attitude is lazy but that can be fixed, he has clear quality. Also a right back is so painfully needed, in fact another good attacking right back could help offset having a midfield that is yet again lacking in passing quality, although even big teams struggle to find players like that sometimes. Take a lesson from Liverpool, if you can’t have a midfield that can play through anyone, make sure they are physical, cover ground, win second balls, and make up for it with bombing fullbacks/wingers

Liverpool's midfield are still way better passer + technically superior to the midfield you're suggesting. Liverpool's forwards are dynamic and agile and can create chances on their own. The lineup you're suggesting wouldn't be an upgrade to the current lineup.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Liverpool's midfield are still way better passer + technically superior to the midfield you're suggesting. Liverpool's forwards are dynamic and agile and can create chances on their own. The lineup you're suggesting wouldn't be an upgrade to the current lineup.
Agreed.

And what's with the Deulofeu fetish EVERY window? He's a failed talent plying his trade at Watford ffs.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Who said that team was as good as Liverpool at all? Liverpool is the best team in the world right now. What I wrote is that you can offset some midfield technicality through other measures. There are a good ten midfields in world football all better at passing then Liverpool. They make up for it with playmaking fullbacks, goalscoring wingers, and intensity.

There’s nothing in that to say milan has a midfield anywhere near the quality of Liverpool’s. Also, quality isn’t only about passing and technical skill, Liverpool has a midfield second to none right now in terms of organized pressing, winning the ball, speed of play, etc.

Also there’s no way that adding Bakayoko to our current midfield isn’t an improvement. Bennacer and Kessie would look far better with added presence, and our back line as well. As far as Deu, there are many players I’d prefer. He’s just someone as see as realistic for the summer, a player who knows the club somewhat. I think is a dangerous player, he was very good for watford last season. Definitely flawed but dangerous in the right role. Which is not our 442, hence adding someone like Bakayoko

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Kessie Baka Bennacer
Deulofeu Ibra Rebic

Going back to 4-3-3, with Baka, would solve some of our current issues, but also bring back some of the old ones.

That front 3 would be far better than last season's.
Rebic and Deu are both able to outpace and outtrick defenders, and they've both proved they can score double digits in open play.

Bennacer needs a few tweaks, but I think he can develop into one helluva mezz'ala.

However I don't want to go back to relying on goals and final passes from Kessie.
He's not getting any better at timing his shots, aiming his shots or reducing his toxic selfishness in the final third.
Krunic has been just as wasteful this season, but I think I'd prefer him as the advanced mid, out of the current options.

I won’t give up on Leao and say “he isn’t good enough,” that kind of attitude is shitty and part of what got Milan into the mess we are in. He is more than good enough to be on the bench and earn minutes when he can get them. His attitude is lazy but that can be fixed, he has clear quality.

The switch to 4-2-3-1 hasn't done Leao any favors.
He was a decent option for the support striker spot in 4-4-2. I think you could also find ways to accommodate him as wing-forward in 4-3-3.
But he can't be trusted in the 4-2-3-1 wing roles, and clearly also can't be depended on as lone striker. He's not even backup material in this system.

And what's with the Deulofeu fetish EVERY window? He's a failed talent plying his trade at Watford ffs.

He pissed the fuck out of the me in his final months at Milan so much that I wasn't disappointed that he wasn't signed. But I also had ridiculous expectations about arrivals at the time(it was the summer of Chinese trillions after all). I've come to regret it, after 2.5 years of torture from Hakan and Suso. Thinking about it now, I don't think we've had a more independently dangerous winger than him since 2011. El Sha was a finisher and workhorse, but not much of a creator or dribbler. Menez was very dangerous on his own, but he wasn't interested in being a winger.

If the team switches back to 4-3-3, which seems inevitable in this club, then I'd love to have him and Samu as the RW options. One(Samu) is the type that drifts centrally and prefers to send in crosses with his left, which is extremely effective when you have Ibra and Rebic in the box. The other one has the pace and trickery to break a deadlock and murder teams on the counter.

I think he is being wasted at Watford. He scored 10 league goals and made 5 assists last season, without any PKs. Watford are hopeless this season, and they often deploy him as 4231 winger, which is a terrible mistake. He has done well in EPL, considering the garbage teams he has played for, but I think his style is even more effective in Serie A.

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Ppl have misgivings that Mbaka was Barca's Yaya Toure for us... he WASNT!

A gentle breeze used to knock him over.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
Who said that team was as good as Liverpool at all? Liverpool is the best team in the world right now. What I wrote is that you can offset some midfield technicality through other measures. There are a good ten midfields in world football all better at passing then Liverpool. They make up for it with playmaking fullbacks, goalscoring wingers, and intensity.

There’s nothing in that to say milan has a midfield anywhere near the quality of Liverpool’s. Also, quality isn’t only about passing and technical skill, Liverpool has a midfield second to none right now in terms of organized pressing, winning the ball, speed of play, etc.

Also there’s no way that adding Bakayoko to our current midfield isn’t an improvement. Bennacer and Kessie would look far better with added presence, and our back line as well. As far as Deu, there are many players I’d prefer. He’s just someone as see as realistic for the summer, a player who knows the club somewhat. I think is a dangerous player, he was very good for watford last season. Definitely flawed but dangerous in the right role. Which is not our 442, hence adding someone like Bakayoko

I agree that a midfield of technically gifted players isn't necessarily key, however relying on Deulofeu to make up for the lack of creativity/vision between Bakayoko and Kessié is a recipe for disaster. Deulofeu is a player who has failed at every club he's ever been at except for relegation side Watford and a decent half year at Montella's legendary Milan.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree that a midfield of technically gifted players isn't necessarily key, however relying on Deulofeu to make up for the lack of creativity/vision between Bakayoko and Kessié is a recipe for disaster. Deulofeu is a player who has failed at every club he's ever been at except for relegation side Watford and a decent half year at Montella's legendary Milan.

He didn't fail at Everton.
He had a good debut season, under Roberto Martinez. A not so good second season(or 5 months), but Everton fans blame that on Ronald Koeman.
This was the same season where he left for Montella's Milan in the January mercato, and did well.

Recipe for disaster?
We had 2 non-scoring, non-dribbling wingers last season in front of Baka & Kessie and it wasn't disastrous.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
He didn't fail at Everton.
He had a good debut season, under Roberto Martinez. A not so good second season(or 5 months), but Everton fans blame that on Ronald Koeman.
This was the same season where he left for Montella's Milan in the January mercato, and did well.

Recipe for disaster?
We had 2 non-scoring, non-dribbling wingers last season in front of Baka & Kessie and it wasn't disastrous.

It was disastrously boring to look at. Also if you look at the xPTS table from last season Milan should've finished lower than both Roma and Lazio. Chances are that if we try the same recipe again it's not gonna go down as well as last season.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It was disastrously boring to look at. Also if you look at the xPTS table from last season Milan should've finished lower than both Roma and Lazio. Chances are that if we try the same recipe again it's not gonna go down as well as last season.

Don't get me wrong, I really couldn't stand having Suso and Hakan on the wings / in the lineup.
I've also lost hope on Kessie turning into a productive mezz'ala.
The problem in that lineup is Kessie, not Deu, Rebic or Baka.
However it's still a stronger lineup than the one that accumulated 68 points last season.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I agree that Kessie is the obvious weak link there. I think upgrading right back is a big need as well in anything we do this summer.

Like I said, adding Baka and Deu back to the team is just something I consider an upgrade to now(even last season like Goodfell said), they both know the club and I think they’re realistic signings. We could swap Paqueta for Baka or something, and Deu will force himself out of Watford this summer. Both would probably be keen to return here as well. Deu was excellent last season by the way, he definitely is being wasted at Watford. Sometimes I see him almost playing as a free roaming playmaker for them at times. He’s much deadlier channels and dribbling in wide areas. There is no disputing his speed and trickery

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
The question is not so much whether Deu and Baka would be upgrades to the current team. The real question is whether they are good/consistent enough to be starters for a top 4 team in Serie A. In my opinion they aren't. Too many times I've seen mediocre players replaced by players who are insignificantly better or not better at all.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The question is not so much whether Deu and Baka would be upgrades to the current team. The real question is whether they are good/consistent enough to be starters for a top 4 team in Serie A. In my opinion they aren't. Too many times I've seen mediocre players replaced by players who are insignificantly better or not better at all.

What makes you think Baka can't be a starter in a Top 4 team in Serie A?
He was an undisputed starter in the Monaco team that won a league title ahead of PSG, and reached UCL semis.

He was our best or 2nd best(Piatek) outfielder last season. One of the best if not the best holding midfielder in Serie A last season.
68 points. Only 1 point away from Top 4, despite having midtable-level teammates like Suso, Hakan, Kessie, Paqueta and the fullbacks.

Baka is definitely good enough.

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
What makes you think Baka can't be a starter in a Top 4 team in Serie A?
He was an undisputed starter in the Monaco team that won a league title ahead of PSG, and reached UCL semis.

He was our best or 2nd best(Piatek) outfielder last season. One of the best if not the best holding midfielder in Serie A last season.
68 points. Only 1 point away from Top 4, despite having midtable-level teammates like Suso, Hakan, Kessie, Paqueta and the fullbacks.

Baka is definitely good enough.

I’ll admit that I didn’t see him much in Monaco. I did like what they did in CL but tbh he wasn’t really the player who caught my eye in that team. I remember him making a fool of himself at Chelsea. Then he came to Milan and was indeed one of the best performers last season. I also think he was one of the reasons that team had such a hard time transitioning from defense to attack. Baka isn’t a passer he runs with the ball and while I admit that he does that well I believe that the holding midfielder in a top 4 side should be better at distributing the ball than is the case with Baka.
Honestly I think it’s just a matter of preference and taste.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
I would do that. sell kessie for baka? sure. delafeou would be solid as well. We lack pace and trickery apart from rebic and Samu.

Schedule