Copa Libertadores

lia

yada yada
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Mané Garrincha, Kaká, Nesta, Ronaldo
anitafranc said:
why is he a jerk? cause he prayed to his dead father before each penalty? :rolleyes:
You live in Brazil so you don't get what a big deal this victory was for LDU players
No, I said he's a jerk 'cause right before Thiago Neves was gonna shoot his PK he stopped and went to the ref, disturbing the player. I'm not the only one who agrees that he should've get a yellow for that.
He's not wrong, whatever helps him, after all, he did catch the ball, but that doesn't stop me from thinking he's a jerk because of it.
I think I can understand that a victory in Libertadores to an equatorian team for the first time is a big deal, when did I say anything otherwise?

lia

yada yada
Reaction score
Fav. Players
manutd fan said:
Cheers :) I can't wait until its on. not because its a massive competition but I want south american players to see manutd better as we aren't yet on the level of Barca, madrid or Milan as an attraction for latin players, though ronaldo has helped us a lot.
Yeah, a way to see the popularity is through the number of people wearing the team's shirts.
And in fact, the english ones, between the 3 major european leagues, are the less seen.
The teams that I see people wearing their shirts the most are Barca, Real, Milan and Inter Merda.
But at my college I've seen guys with ManUtd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal ones.
I don't know in other countries, but in Brasil, Real still seems to be the most attractive one for players. Although Milan, with all their brazilian players, including the most famous young ones (Kaká and Pato), puts them in a spotlight.

anitafranc

bigger stronger
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo, Sandro, Pirlo, Pippo, Rino, Pato, TS, Janku, Kaka, Gourcuff
lia said:
No, I said he's a jerk 'cause right before Thiago Neves was gonna shoot his PK he stopped and went to the ref, disturbing the player. I'm not the only one who agrees that he should've get a yellow for that.
He's not wrong, whatever helps him, after all, he did catch the ball, but that doesn't stop me from thinking he's a jerk because of it.
I think I can understand that a victory in Libertadores to an equatorian team for the first time is a big deal, when did I say anything otherwise?
oh sorry I didn't remember that part. I thought you were saying he was a jerk because he got on his knees before each PK. I too hate it when he complains to refs and burns time, but they were going to do anything to win that cup, and I get that.

lia

yada yada
Reaction score
Fav. Players
anitafranc said:
oh sorry I didn't remember that part. I thought you were saying he was a jerk because he got on his knees before each PK. I too hate it when he complains to refs and burns time, but they were going to do anything to win that cup, and I get that.
No problem. Goalkeepers do all sort of things to help them in this time. I understand. :)
It was just the interrupting part that got to my nerves.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
someone who is a bigger follower of argentinan football help me out here (i tend to only watch on occasion when its on... river, boca etc, but i dont really follow it).

Radamel Falcao, I've become intrigued w/ him ever since his name was linked to us, and tried to watch him recently... i saw a replay of boca-river game on fcs from fall 07. This goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mI_xefIFL0 the initial cross bar shot (it was him yes?), then the goal. Reminds me of pippo.

I know his name has been linked to europe and specifically milan. With striker issues, and us not wanting to spend big he might be a possible move. Or more realistic... my feeling is these uruguan players wont be in milan this year, so i could easily see a loan in exchange to river or something. I'm just thinking outloud i guess. But someone who watched river more religiousl... what about falcao? Is he milan material? Analysis....

Giancarlo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Kaka, Pirlo, Borriello, Pato, Ronaldinho
Milano84 said:
someone who is a bigger follower of argentinan football help me out here (i tend to only watch on occasion when its on... river, boca etc, but i dont really follow it).

Radamel Falcao, I've become intrigued w/ him ever since his name was linked to us, and tried to watch him recently... i saw a replay of boca-river game on fcs from fall 07. This goal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mI_xefIFL0 the initial cross bar shot (it was him yes?), then the goal. Reminds me of pippo.

I know his name has been linked to europe and specifically milan. With striker issues, and us not wanting to spend big he might be a possible move. Or more realistic... my feeling is these uruguan players wont be in milan this year, so i could easily see a loan in exchange to river or something. I'm just thinking outloud i guess. But someone who watched river more religiousl... what about falcao? Is he milan material? Analysis....

Falcao is someone I've seen quite a few times before due to the fact that Argentine soccer is always playing on here (often live too)... one of my friends is a River Plate fan and he likes Falcao. Falcao is sorta like Pippo... but his finishing is not quite there yet. He is physical too so that's a plus.

By the way, There is a chance that Cardaccio can make the senior squad... but Viudez most likely will be in the Primavera team.

Falcao was linked with moves to like Arsenal, Barcelona and Milan... but I don't know what has happened as of late. I do feel he is Milan material. Top grade material, but River Plate will not part with him cheaply.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=555708&sec=england&&cc=5901

He recently rejected the notion that he would move to Arsenal (thank goodness).

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
I think he's got more skills on the ball than pippo, he can play as supporting striker, he's been played almost as an AM behind 2 other forwards and he's got a pretty good header considering his height (1.77m)

he started of his top division time with River by scoring 7 goals in 7 games (season 2005) it stopped when he got a pretty bad knee injury (around 6 months out) that's when Higuain was given the chance to play, when he got back he could only score 3 goals in 20 games, but this last year (Apertura 07- Clausura 08) he scored 11 goals in 27 matches, I still feel he needs a bit more to get back to his pre injury form, but he's young (22) (I think these last are only liga matches)

If I could chose a River Plate player to come to Milan, I would chose Buonanotte over Falcao... but he wouldn't be bad, altho he's been sent off a few times, which means he's a bit hot tempered

he's actually got a nice Cup goal tally, apparently he's got 4 goals in 7 games at Sudamericana and 4 in 8 for Copa Libertadores.. he actually scored a hat trick vs Botafogo to keep River in the run for the cup when we were down to 9 men

he's good, but I don't see a move to Milan soon cause of his non EU status, I don't think he has an EU passport (but I'm not usually very well informed in this kind of matters)

here's a video compilation of his goals so you can see for yourself

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=2xww31UgLns

goals from 2005 to 2007
http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=NAAAcOMZZBc

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
some1 said porto for vuidez. He is 19, is that too old for primavera? Eitherway i think we all agree theres a very small chance he'll stay w/ milan first team this year. PErsonally i'd love to see him loaned to a small italian side so i can watch him.

you'e right about cardaccio, but u never know.... i'd rather loan him then him not play period....we know carlo loves brocholi. I'm excited to watch next few friendlies... i imagine they'll both play a little.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
yeah falcao is at that point where 1 more season at river... and i think his fee will double... right now i've read 10-13 mil. Being as he'd welcome a move to milan (i believe he reall likes kaka... both being very religious) we could prolly get him n the lower side.

Giancarlo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Inzaghi, Kaka, Pirlo, Borriello, Pato, Ronaldinho
Milano84 said:
some1 said porto for vuidez. He is 19, is that too old for primavera? Eitherway i think we all agree theres a very small chance he'll stay w/ milan first team this year. PErsonally i'd love to see him loaned to a small italian side so i can watch him.

you'e right about cardaccio, but u never know.... i'd rather loan him then him not play period....we know carlo loves brocholi. I'm excited to watch next few friendlies... i imagine they'll both play a little.

I'm pretty sure Cardaccio has a strong chance of staying. I've talked with someone who knows more about Uruguayan footballers than me... and he says he's already pretty advanced with his skills. It's likely that he was bought to replace Brocchi, because Brocchi himself could be on the way out (most likely to Fiorentina).

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
buononotte.... m best friend spent last year in argentina and that was his favorite player.... he kept saying falcao is ok, nothing special.

isnt buononotte only like 5 feet tall.... would he hold up?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mI_xefIFL0

goals around 3:10 and 5:10 are typical milan type build up goals..... i know to never jump all over youtube, but hes got great reflex and pace up top... something that cant be taught. I read somewhere, and i liked this because it really reminded me of pippo.... 'hes type of player who can not touch the ball or make a pass, and score' not to say thats a desired quality.. but hey we dont need 11 guys dribbling all day.

Ok i'm gonna get of my little obsession here, and come to grips w/ the fact if we get anyone it'll be crespo, sheva, vieri... or if we're lucky... suazo

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
Buonanotte is 1.60m which I think is 5ft 2in, before he weighed 50kg but now it's aroun the 60kg... but as he's short and skinny he can be sneaky which helps against tall and heavy defenders cause he moves faster than they do

I wouldn't say Falcao is helpless with the ball as I said before he can do well playing outside the penalty box... this kind of happened with Abreu, Abreu would be the one in the box and Falcao moving around behind or next to

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Libertadores 2010 quarter-finals:

Universidad de Chile x Flamengo

Libertad x Chivas

and

Estudiantes x Internacional

Cruzeiro x São Paulo

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Pirlo
Anyone catch the end of the Alianza/ Universidad de Chile match?

Complete chaos.... Alianza scores to take the aggregate lead in the 87th minute. 90th minute, Univeridad de Chile scores a goal from outside the box, but 3 players were offside in the area. The linesman had his flag up, and the ref initially ruled it out (I guess because they were maybe in the way of the keeper?). He then ran over to his linesman to consult.The Uni. de Chile coaches started screaming and circling the ref, who then awarded the goal (rightly so, IMO).

The Alianza players then circled the ref, and security police had to be called onto the field. 20 minutes of choas, and the ref then blows the whistle to end the game as security and players are still fighting to get to the ref. He then decides to RESUME the match. They play for about 5 more minutes of what I guess was stoppage time. Match ends with U progressing, and the whole process of Alianza circling the ref and tangling with security begins once again.

Only in the Copa....

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone catch the end of the Alianza/ Universidad de Chile match?

Complete chaos.... Alianza scores to take the aggregate lead in the 87th minute. 90th minute, Univeridad de Chile scores a goal from outside the box, but 3 players were offside in the area. The linesman had his flag up, and the ref initially ruled it out (I guess because they were maybe in the way of the keeper?). He then ran over to his linesman to consult.The Uni. de Chile coaches started screaming and circling the ref, who then awarded the goal (rightly so, IMO).

The Alianza players then circled the ref, and security police had to be called onto the field. 20 minutes of choas, and the ref then blows the whistle to end the game as security and players are still fighting to get to the ref. He then decides to RESUME the match. They play for about 5 more minutes of what I guess was stoppage time. Match ends with U progressing, and the whole process of Alianza circling the ref and tangling with security begins once again.

Only in the Copa....

I watch it. This is sooo Libertadores... LOL Can't stop laughing of the keeper's cap.

I think it was a clear goal, the refree was very wrong when ruled it out.

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Pirlo
Yes- the Peruvians are claiming that that the shot was originally going towards an offside Chilean player (who therefore interfered with the goalkeeper's reaction) before it was deflected by an Alianza player into the net (who was defending against an offside forward).

Very weak argument if you ask me..... I think the referee did a great job of changing the call, even if it looks like he was influenced by the home side.

Besides, Alianza's first goal was BS- it never went in!

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes- the Peruvians are claiming that that the shot was originally going towards an offside Chilean player (who therefore interfered with the goalkeeper's reaction) before it was deflected by an Alianza player into the net (who was defending against an offside forward).

Very weak argument if you ask me..... I think the referee did a great job of changing the call, even if it looks like he was influenced by the home side.

Besides, Alianza's first goal was BS- it never went in!

I agree with you. I think the linesman made a mistake, and when the refree figured he was not sure in his decision, he changed. But "La U" supporters are very crazy, the preassure there is not easy to handle, it certainly helped the refree to changing the call.

The Libertadores finals are always very entertaining games, not just because of football, but also all the atmosphere and off-field factors.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
São Paulo passed to semis after winning the two games against Cruzeiro by 2 x 0. Hernandes is in great form now.

Chivas knocks Libertad out winning 3 x 0 in Mexico and keeping an heroic 0 x 2 in Paraguay.

Today there will be Universidad x Flamengo (La U won the first game in Maracanã 3 x 2), and Estudiantes x Internacional in Argentina (Inter won 1 x 0 in Brazil).

I know that nobody cares, but I can't sleep today...

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Giuliano, Internacional's hero, score the qualification goal at the 89'. Inter will face São Paulo in the semis.

Beatiful goals in Universidad 1 x 2 Flamengo - great goal by Montillo, and very nice build up in Adriano's goal.
La U x Chivas is the other semi.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Giuliano, Internacional's hero, score the qualification goal at the 89'. Inter will face São Paulo in the semis.

I love this kid. Am I wrong in thinking he's more suited for Europe than Ganso (however much i love Ganso).....

Giuliano is so versatile and works hard.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love this kid. Am I wrong in thinking he's more suited for Europe than Ganso (however much i love Ganso).....

Giuliano is so versatile and works hard.

I agree, Giuliano is more proven, he has defensive habilities, is hard working and has great personality. Also, he is physically strong for his age. I wish he could play more at the AM, he is being used more as CM - but he is working there.

Ganso has more hability, touch, vision. Ganso has more potential, but also more to prove.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Semifinals first game:

Tomorrow - Chivas Guadalajara x Universidad de Chile

Wednesday - Internacional x São Paulo

Chivas can't go to the World Club Championship (México can earn his place just by the Concacaf), so if Chivas knock out La U, the winner of Inter x SP will have his place already.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
It's gonna be weird to see São Paulo going without winning the final. I know it wouldn't be the same shit as Corinthians but still, it's weird.

Are you colorado, Sven?

Funny momment of 2005.

:D

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you colorado, Sven?

My first team, that I support with true passion is Veranópolis, a very small team in RS. :D I know it's hard to believe, but Veranópolis is my home town and I'm going to the stadium there since my childhood (lived there until my 18's).

But I have a simpathy for Inter, it's my father's team, and I have a lot of friends involved in the club administration and in the Popular (and of course I live in Porto Alegre now). But I can't really say I'm Colorado.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shit, I'm scared!

I'm not trusting on this team!

C'mon Hernanes and Fernandão, we need you!

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
São Paulo was sucking but defending very well, Rogério Ceni man of the match and 0x0 was the perfect result. Then Giuliano came in and I was like... "now we got screwed".

And we got screwed. Nice goal by Giuliano. :(

Giuliano gave another spirit to Inter's attack.

I just hope that Gomes get finally fired after this game.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
São Paulo was sucking but defending very well, Rogério Ceni man of the match and 0x0 was the perfect result. Then Giuliano came in and I was like... "now we got screwed".

And we got screwed. Nice goal by Giuliano. :(

Giuliano gave another spirit to Inter's attack.

I just hope that Gomes get finally fired after this game.

Don't know why SP gave so much field to Inter. In a game like this pressure upfront is always the best option. SP played so deep and don't made any counter I can remember also. Possession must have been 70 - 30 to Inter.

BTW lucky SP just lost by 1. Thanks to the defence, that is awesome, Miranda & Alex had a great game today.

Sandro & Guiñazú two beasts, as always. And Giuliano got :star:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Goal by Giuliano:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
someone pointed this out to me..... kaka is to ronaldinho like guiliano is to ganso. In that first one is alot more suited for european football, second is clearly more technically skilled

what do brazilians here think. I've seen more of ganso, everytime i see guiliano, i don't see kaka though... i mean i see it going forward in his runs, but he's VERY hard working.

Finally i gotta ask this particularly to capitao lugano, how do you rate hernanes to rai? I'm not sure if i see the comparison but i know one thing.... hernanes is world class, regardless of if the general public know it or not.