Official: Franco Baresi Thread

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
two epic videos, not sure if they have been posted but I love them
Art intelligence speed power and precision , have to best CB of last few deceds if not of the entire history

This match is the only one i watched of baresi.... its shame I never followed back then

He is superb, he is faster and aggressive high end version of nesta

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Current Barcelona is more complete than Johan Cruyff's dream team - Franco Baresi
The legendary Italian has voiced his belief that the current Catalan side are more complete than the outfit that played under the Dutch great in the mid 1990s

Former AC Milan and Italy international Franco Baresi has stated that the current Barcelona team is more complete than Johan Cruyff's famous side that was labelled the 'dream team' in the nineties.

"It’s different, they’re both great teams, with great players. I think Guardiola’s team is much more organised [than Cruyff's squad]. They play attacking football but are also well organised, very skilful, great quality, fast with the ball," Baresi said to Barca TV.

"I’m sure the current team is much more complete and much harder to beat. It’s a nice team to watch. For football lovers, I think it’s a pleasure to watch Barca because they have some formidable midfielders and forwards. I like them a lot because it’s nice football and because of the show they offer."

Baresi then went on to discuss the performances of centre-back Gerard Pique and was full of praise for the former Manchester United player.

"I was once asked if I’d like to play where Pique does in this team. I said that Pique has fun because he can see what the team’s doing. He’s very good, and so important in defence, and I think it would be great to play with team mates like that.

"He has a great future, he’s very young and he’s won everything. He’s world champion and Spanish champion with Barcelona. He has made huge progress and has a massive future ahead."

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
NAIROBI, FRANCO BARESI AND MILAN FOUNDATION FOR 'ALICE FOR CHILDREN'

nai3_big.jpg

nai2_big.jpg

nai4_big.jpg

nai1_big.jpg

foto-baresi4_big.jpg

foto-baresi3_big.jpg

foto-baresi_big.jpg

foto-baresi2_big.jpg

masterofnaiads

Drummer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zidane, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Kaka, Forlan, Cocu, Riquelme, Cafu
Has this been posted before?

:proud:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sweden – Franco Baresi, 14 August
Franco Baresi on a trip to Sweden, besides saying hello on behalf of Adriano Galliani, also underlined how much the club was looking forward to the game to be played against Malmo at the Swedbank stadium at 18.30. Baresi also spoke of the ties of friendship that link Milan with Sweden since the historical Rossoneri trio Gre-No-Li.

The game will see two team who both dominated and won their respective championships last year.

The ex Milan captain ended by wishing the best of luck to Rikard Nolin, Malmo’s coach for the rest of the season and expects a big crowd on 14 august for an evening of sport and friendship.

Serno91

Cassanata
Reaction score
Fav. Players
From AC Milan
Baresı, you got to love thıs man :)

Spielmacher

Protagonista
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Albertini, Weah, Gullit
Why thinker/philosopher like him & Roberto Baggio can't teach youngsters is beyond me. Really hope guy like him could teach a proper defensive tactic, and Baggio teach offensive set-up.
Mind blasting!!!!!

fazrulx2n

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, nesta, kaka, gattuso
what number did baresi wore back in the early 80s? 6?

Samel

Primavera
Reaction score
I just got the new Italy national team jersey, the name on the back I put is the legend, BARESI !!!

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
can anyone post the link for a baresi DVD OMG i missed out on him, he was so great in his videos, so intelligent and tough

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
can anyone post the link for a baresi DVD OMG i missed out on him, he was so great in his videos, so intelligent and tough

This one? http://forum.acmilan-online.com/showpost.php?p=956657&postcount=148

Franco BARESI
Milan and Italy's imperial sweeper

1509748_small.jpg

In Italy, the birthplace of catenaccio, Franco Baresi figuratively stood head and shoulders above his defensive peers. A robust sweeper who revolutionised the position a good ten years after Franz Beckenbauer had made it his own, the Italian was one of football’s great leaders, a player who kept talk to the minimum, tackled hard and launched many a counter-attack with his long forays from the back.

From 1977 to 1997, he represented the last line of defence for AC Milan, the only club of his 20-year career, with whom he demonstrated the same loyalty and professionalism in trophy-laden seasons as he did during barren years. Between 1982 and 1994, his effectiveness, ball-winning ability and leadership qualities also saw him awarded no fewer than 81 caps for Italy, and he played a key role in some of La Nazionale’s most memorable achievements during that time.

Not a particularly tall footballer, and as uncomfortable during interviews as he was at ease performing on the field, Baresi outlasted and outperformed high-profile team-mates and rivals alike for two decades.

One city, two destinies
Born in Travagliato, in the province of Brescia in Northern Italy, Baresi lost his parents by the tender age of 16, both deaths coming within two years of each other. In 1976, along with his brother Giuseppe, two years his elder, he decided to try his luck at a career in professional football. The siblings’ first port of call was Inter Milan, at which point fate would send them down different paths.

Giuseppe, a solid defensive midfielder, was retained by Inter, and would go on to make 559 appearances for the club, before becoming part of their backroom staff. Franco, on the other hand, was rejected by I Nerazzurri, who were unconvinced by his slender frame. He promptly offered his services to rivals AC Milan, who snapped up the future international.

The two brothers moved to Milan, where Franco would spend four years enrolled in a sport-study programme at the club’s Milanello training centre. Silent and reserved, the teenager quickly became known for his strong work ethic and unrelenting focus. “At 18, he already had the knowledge of a veteran,” commented the late Nils Liedholm, who gave Baresi his Serie A debut away to Verona on 23 April 1978.

Before the start of the following season, the Swedish coach took the young defender aside during the team’s first training session and informed him that he now regarded him as his first-choice libero. That decision sowed the seeds of the legendary Rossoneri back four of Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Costacurta, Mauro Tassotti and Baresi.

With Baresi the cornerstone of their defence, AC Milan dominated the championship in his first full season. Strong in the tackle, skilled at intercepting wayward passes and constantly mindful of his team-mates’ positioning, he never hesitated to push forward when necessary, leading by example throughout the 90 minutes.

Team-mates – household names included – admired Baresi more for his perfectionist's approach to the game rather than his outstanding ball skills. The man himself said recently: “For people to look up to you, your behaviour needs to be beyond reproach. Training, hard work and an excellent relationship with supporters are guiding principles that should never be taken lightly."

When AC Milan were relegated to Serie B for their involvement in an illegal betting controversy the following year, one player remained above suspicion, and stuck with the club during that difficult period. Handed the captain’s armband at the age of 22, Baresi would remain loyal to the red and black jersey for the rest of his career.

He explained: “Today things are different. A player rarely stays with the same team for 15 or 20 years now. The market changed all that – there are a lot more opportunities these days, and they’re tough to resist.”

AC Milan would enter a new era with the arrival of Silvio Berlusconi as club president in 1986. Under the guidance of Arrigo Sacchi, Baresi was the lynchpin of the all-conquering side that starred the Dutch trio of Frank Rijkaard, Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten. During Fabio Capello’s tenure, he was a key member of the team that won four further Italian league titles and lifted the European Cup, in a line-up that included Marcel Desailly, Zvonimir Boban and Dejan Savicevic.

In 1997, after 20 years of faithful service, Baresi finally chose to hang up his boots. “The season before that had been quite difficult, due to problems I’d been having with my body," he said. "I was finding it harder and harder to recover from matches. At 37, I was no spring chicken, and after all those years in the game, it was simply time to call it a day.” Two years after his retirement, Milan fans voted him their player of the century.

Penalties in Pasadena
Initially frozen out of Italy’s starting XI by the fine form of Gaetano Scirea, another giant of the Italian game, Baresi nevertheless earned a winner’s medal at the 1982 FIFA World Cup Spain™, even though he saw no actual playing time. His international debut did not come until 4 December of that same year, in a qualifying match for UEFA EURO 1984 against Romania in Florence.

But the confident defender’s relationship with then Italy coach Enzo Bearzot subsequently deteriorated, due to the latter’s habit of playing Baresi in a defensive midfield role. Bearzot would eventually select Baresi’s brother for that position ahead of Mexico 1986, a tournament in which Gli Azzurri failed to impress.

The arrival of Azeglio Vicini at the Italy helm signalled the beginning of Baresi’s gradual transformation into a stalwart of the team, at his natural position of sweeper. The first to slot home his penalty during the shoot-out in the semi-final of the 1990 FIFA World Cup on home soil, he was still powerless to prevent the host nation’s elimination at the hands of Argentina.

Four years later at USA 1994, he was faced with the same test of nerve, but this time in the Final against Brazil. His presence as captain that day already constituted a victory against the odds. Having suffered an injury during a group-stage match with Norway on 23 June, he was operated on immediately and set himself a seemingly unattainable goal of playing in the decider. On 17 July in Pasadena he was named in the starting line-up. After putting in an outstanding performance in a 0-0 draw, he again made the long walk from the centre circle to take Italy’s first spot-kick.

This time, however, luck was against him, as he sent the ball high over the bar. Daniele Massaro’s penalty was saved by Taffarel, before Roberto Baggio then missed in a similar fashion to his captain, thereby handing the trophy to Brazil. For the first time in his long and successful career, tears could be seen flowing down Baresi’s cheeks.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/players/player=174375/

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
6 millions of fans on Facebook! The legend Franco Baresi gives thanks to all the supporters for their faith towards the team.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Last edited:

Eccolo

Keep calm! Sell everyone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Diamanti, Verratti, Montolivo + All Juve Stabia players
Fantastic video :star:

milan07

Security
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Djokovic, Diego Armando Maradona
They Retired The Shirt: Franco Baresi - http://ghostgoal.co.uk/2011/11/23/they-retired-the-shirt-franco-baresi/

*A version of this article appeared in the now sadly defunct Calcio Italia magazine in March 2011

"That Berlusconi transformed Milan is a matter of fact. And yet, he was able
to do so thanks largely to the raw materials already in place at the time. As
well as Baresi, there was the reliable right-back Mauro Tassotti and a young
left-back by the name of Paolo Maldini. When Alessandro Costacurta broke
through the ranks soon after, one of the most famous defensive units in the
history of the game was in place."

Simple EPIC!

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This man was so good, it's ridiculous

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

No wonder why Romário said Baresi was the best marker he faced. Some of the 94 World Cup final material in this video shows that perfectly. Too bad I was too young to remember, let alone understand, that match, although I remember the celebrations :D

Would have been a honor to witness Baresi at his best.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW... COLOSSAL!!!!

This is my persona of a real MAN!!! He is sooo tough and full of running and sacrifice for the good of the team! I think football needs a Baresi to end the Barca-sponsored football we see today.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No wonder why Romário said Baresi was the best marker he faced. Some of the 94 World Cup final material in this video shows that perfectly. Too bad I was too young to remember, let alone understand, that match, although I remember the celebrations :D

Would have been a honor to witness Baresi at his best.

The complete video of the WC final:

He got injured in the first match of the World Cup. He made a surgery and recovered in time for the final. That at 34 years of age...
Still it seems he was playing on pain. He left the field injured at the end of the extra time.

Edit: 3:14, the movement, the reading of the game, the speed, the tackle...

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
my introduction to high level football was 94 world cup. It's my first memory.

Baresi is simply amazing. I mean honestly, if you're making list of greatest defenders of all time, it has to start with him or beckenbaur.

luke07

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Boban,Bierhoff, Sheva,Pjanic,Keisuke Honda,Teppei Sakamoto,Bastian Schweinsteiger
he was god and still god :o

even when i watched him last September during milan glorie game, damn he is still god :proud:

122093_ac-milan-glories_641_452.jpg

Last edited:

Schedule