Vincenzo Montella Thread

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
"Individual errors" are not an excuse. Players are human and will always make errors. Do you think that the defenders of the big teams play flawlessly? No. The SYSTEM allows for cover and contingency. Even Paolo and Nesta made mistakes during the game in the glory days. Juve, Barca, Bayern, City etc have several mistakes made.

The way these are overcome is 1 the system and 2 limiting these mistakes further away from goal

Not sure I agree with this at all. I can count on two hands the number of big mistakes that I have seen Nesta and Maldini make in their entire careers......but they were two of the top 5 great defenders of all time so maybe it's not fair to compare even the best defenders of modern day football to those legends.

But making errors is a mental issue first and foremost, and if your last man is making these errors, then there is no system that can cover that.

Agreed with needing to limit mistakes to further away from the goal.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Blegh. If only the main problem was the coach.

We lack quality midfielders for 3 man midfield, quality wingers and wingbacks for winger-formations, quality playmakers for winger-less formations.
We lack players with pace, stamina and technical ability, period.

A 2 man attack with two CFs and no playmaking ability won't get us anywhere. The 2013/14 and 2015/16 seasons should've taught you that.
Trying to improve our pressing with a player like Suso is hopeless. Last season should've taught you that.
The only wide player with some pace and stamina in him is Bo-freaking-rini. It's hard to downgrade from only Niang and Deulefeu as options, especially with a 200m+ transfer budget, but we did.

Should've stacked the squad with wingers/wide players with pace and actual CMs, instead of CFs and failed AMs.

Oh well.
I'd still go for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Double pivot + winger systems are far easier to pull off, than single pivot wingerless systems. Especially if you're in a primitive stage like us.
Let's take the Napoli/RM/BM route.

Y-Bido92

il-Faraone
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Totti, Zidane, R9
Figure whatever formation that puts Suso as a RW and you'd be all set. He's the only player that could be a threat in the attacking line and it makes no sense whatsoever to neutralize him at this point. Fuck suiting Bonucci,Hakan, Kalinic, Bonaventura at the expense of Suso.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Not sure I agree with this at all. I can count on two hands the number of big mistakes that I have seen Nesta and Maldini make in their entire careers......but they were two of the top 5 great defenders of all time so maybe it's not fair to compare even the best defenders of modern day football to those legends.

But making errors is a mental issue first and foremost, and if your last man is making these errors, then there is no system that can cover that.

Agreed with needing to limit mistakes to further away from the goal.

I've seen a lot of mistakes made by Maldini especially. Nesta not so much...which makes sense since Nesta didn't keep playing with us to the age that Paolo did. That said, I agree that they didn't make many....certainly and infinitely less than these jokers these days that call themselves deferders *cough*cough*Ramos*cough* :D

What I'm saying about them is that they played well with and for each other. The other thing is that their marking was almost flawless. Sure an attacker could wrongfoot them from time to time....but no borderline Serie B fodder that keeps getting the better of Bonucci.

Actually, for all of his flaws, Zapata is a great marker.

We lack quality midfielders for 3 man midfield, quality wingers and wingbacks for winger-formations, quality playmakers for winger-less formations.

A 2 man attack with two CFs and no playmaking ability won't get us anywhere. The 2013/14 and 2015/16 seasons should've taught you that.
Trying to improve our pressing with a player like Suso is hopeless. Last season should've taught you that.
The only wide player with some pace and stamina in him is Bo-freaking-rini. It's hard to downgrade from only Niang and Deulefeu as options, especially with a 200m+ transfer budget, but we did.

Should've stacked the squad with wingers/wide players with pace and actual CMs, instead of CFs and failed AMs.

Oh well.
I'd still go for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. Double pivot + winger systems are far easier to pull off, than single pivot wingerless systems. Especially if you're in a primitive stage like us.

Great post overall :star:
I think a 4-4-2 is the best for what we have at the moment.
I don't think Hakan is a "failed AM" ...that is, if you meant Hakan.
He's a CAM or very attacking CM and the more defensive work he has to do, the more shit he is.
Think a faster Honda imho.

Overall...a simple jack 4-4-2 may provide the needed balance, and help out with the isolation the strikers face

----Silva--------Cutrone----
Bona--Bigley-Kessie--Suso
RR---Musa---Roma---Abate
--------$$$$$$$$------------

Last edited:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
PrG3QZR.jpg

omg this is scary

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

Oh well.

in this case, it surely is.

I was one of the few who knew this squad was still missing key pieces when the mercato was over, but this is just atrocious coaching.

lack of pace is surely an issue, but a much bigger problem is the amateur defensive organization + awful build up play from the back.

he could have kept niang if he had a clue about needing pace, but montella was the one who pushed him out.

roma spy confirmed

Last edited:

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Note how there were no interviews with the management after the Genoa game.
I surely hope this is a hint that they are talking to the new coach behind the scenes.

But a part of me fears they will give him more time. :fp:

I would much rather sack Montella now and make an assault for CL spot while we still have time.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Note how there were no interviews with the management after the Genoa game.
I surely hope this is a hint that they are talking to the new coach behind the scenes.

But a part of me fears they will give him more time. :fp:

I would much rather sack Montella now and make an assault for CL spot while we still have time.

My guess is they are currently negotiating to bring a top coach right away, and that' why we haven't seen a caretaker in place already.

Maybe i shouldn't say guess, more like hoping that's the case.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Offensively in in the last two games we have shown nothing. The game against AEK was one of the worst I have seen in recent times. We are currently 9 points off of 4th and all the other top teams have improved this year. If he is stays much longer 4th place will be impossible as it is now even with a better coach it is a huge task.

He was given a chance but he has blown it and there is no way back from here. It's only a matter of time until we have a caretaker manager until the end of the season at which point we will hopefully get Ancelotti or Conte.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
in this case, it surely is.

I was one of the few who knew this squad was still missing key pieces when the mercato was over, but this is just atrocious coaching.

lack of pace is surely an issue, but a much bigger problem is the amateur defensive organization + awful build up play from the back.

he could have kept niang if he had a clue about needing pace, but montella was the one who pushed him out.

I am sure there are others who felt the same way but wanted to give Montella a chance to see if he can make it work.

The biggest thing is the issues you mentioned were there last season as well. :fp::fp:

Last edited:

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Come on Sage, quite a few people pointed out we were missing key pieces.

I am sure there are others who felt the same way but wanted to give Montella a chance to see if he can make it work.

The biggest thing is the issues you mentioned were there last season as well. :fp::fp:

that's why i said "one of the few" not "the only one"

most of the others were saying scudetto challengers/top 4 guaranteed

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
Are Prandelli or Sousa BIG enough?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
I believe No is the right answer.. I more think the like of Guardiola .. or Mourinho eventhough they aren't available..

Did he smiled after 0-0 scoreboard against Genoa ? This picture indeed too funny to be not quoted or laughed :D

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
that's why i said "one of the few" not "the only one"

most of the others were saying scudetto challengers/top 4 guaranteed

My B, i read that wrong.

I had my doubts regarding Montella but did not think it would get this bad.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
My B, i read that wrong.

I had my doubts regarding Montella but did not think it would get this bad.

same, I expected us to be in the mix for top 4 until the end, at this rate it'll be a struggle to finish 6th.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Montella: "I haven't seen a team that played better than us in the last three rounds. We have to pick up from where we left off."

this guy is beyond deluded

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Montella: "I haven't seen a team that played better than us in the last three rounds. We have to pick up from where we left off."

this guy is beyond deluded

Trying to do some damage control, for when he gets fired ( hopefully sooner rather than later)

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
Just read the article that Paulo Sousa and Walter Mazzari is on Milan's radar to replace Mr. Smiley. but of course if Conte get sacked then he will be board's first choice. And Gattuso will be our temporary caretaker. Someone with good spirit like Gennaro should be good to boost our morale ..

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Just read the article that Paulo Sousa and Walter Mazzari is on Milan's radar to replace Mr. Smiley. but of course if Conte get sacked then he will be board's first choice. And Gattuso will be out temporary caretaker. Someone with good spirit like Gennaro should be good to boost our morale ..

It all sounded so well, until you mentioned Gattuso who is uber shite as a coach. Hopefully that's not the real story...but since he is in house i can see that happening.

We would lose even more points then with Mr. Smiley.

Andromeda

^AC.Milan Girl^
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini
It all sounded so well, until you mentioned Gattuso who is uber shite as a coach. Hopefully that's not the real story...but since he is in house i can see that happening.

We would lose even more points then with Mr. Smiley.

LOL .. don't worry he just caretaker they said ..

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Keep Fucktella till Conte is available... enough gambles and experiments... Conte must come here

Schedule