The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Negotiations between Milan and former RB Leipzig boss Ralf Rangnick have reportedly reached a point of slowdown.

Rangnick appeared to be closing in on an agreement to become Milan’s next coach, with the issue of transfer budget said to have been addressed last week.

However, Sky Sport Italia claims there has been little progress since then.

Why in the fuck would anyone turn down living in Italy?

It’s fucking gorgeous.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Why in the fuck would anyone turn down living in Italy?

It’s fucking gorgeous.

Because he sees an issue with the transfer budget reportedly. I mean, it's in bold. :D

Maybe he's anti-Italian and doesn't like the nice beaches and nice weather etc.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Because he sees an issue with the transfer budget reportedly. I mean, it's in bold. :D

Maybe he's anti-Italian and doesn't like the nice beaches and nice weather etc.

For me this is utter bullshit. Leipzig's biggest spending spree ever was worth 80 m. Only the sales of Piatek, Caldara and Suso bring 60 m. Elliott usually provide around 30-40 m and Ralf would have many players to sell that could easily bring between 50 and 100 m. Worst case he will have like 80-90 m and best case he will have around 200 m. Even 80 m is a decent budget, let alone 200 m...

For me he is a done deal, they are just waiting for the outcome of the season. If we are forced to finish this season in July, he will probably not come as he will have no time to work on the team, but if they cancel the season he will have 3-4 months to work on the market and the new tactics with the players

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
For me this is utter bullshit. Leipzig's biggest spending spree ever was worth 80 m. Only the sales of Piatek, Caldara and Suso bring 60 m. Elliott usually provide around 30-40 m and Ralf would have many players to sell that could easily bring between 50 and 100 m. Worst case he will have like 80-90 m and best case he will have around 200 m. Even 80 m is a decent budget, let alone 200 m...

For me he is a done deal, they are just waiting for the outcome of the season. If we are forced to finish this season in July, he will probably not come as he will have no time to work on the team, but if they cancel the season he will have 3-4 months to work on the market and the new tactics with the players

It's clearly a done deal since December. Everything since then is PR bullshit.

Dena

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Milan have set their sights on Sporting 21-year-old goalkeeper Luis Maximiano as the potential replacement for Donnarumma in case he leaves the club. Inter are also interested [@ojogo]

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Eintracht Frankfurt chief Fredi Bobic is unsure of AC Milan's plans for Andre Silva.
The Portugal striker is on-loan at the Bundesliga outfit this season, with Ante Rebic at Milan.
“It's very, very quiet there too. Zvonimir Boban has already been fired and Paolo Maldini has the virus himself. Milan have other problems to deal with rather than talking about this swap deal.
“The owners are based in London, and they don't have it easy either.
"We will certainly talk about this issue in the future," Bobic told Kicker.

AC Milan hero Mauro Tassotti is baffled by the management of owners Elliott.
Tassotti has taken aim at transfer policy and also the sacking of director Zvonimir Boban.
He said, "I struggle to understand company policy. If you want to start with the young, you have to declare it and admitting that for years it will be difficult to achieve results.
"It may make sense, but young people must be helped. San Siro is not a stadium like any other: if you make too many mistakes, you will lose confidence. It is complicated."
On the stormy farewell of Boban, Tassotti added: "If I expected it? Honestly not, I thought they had found stability, points of contact. With certain problems in the club, and ownership has changed too many times, you struggle to work.
"You can't go wrong with a purchase, for example, because the budget is what it is. Milan should first of all try to hold on to the good players, Donnarumma, Hernandez and others. But if you can't even start from there..."

Former AC Milan defender Alessandro Costacurta says the club needs to keep hold of Paolo Maldini.
Maldini has seen fellow director Zvonimir Boban sacked this month.
Costacurta said, “We must make sure that Paolo, who is first and foremost a righteous and also competent, acquires the skills he has yet to along his short journey.
“He is the right one and is competent. You can start again from there. Until a few months ago, we all thought there were too many managers at Milan, too many people who would have been able to say something.
“We are talking about the removal of my brother; we know the quality and the temperament of Zvone. Gazidis is not stupid, let's not forget what he has done. With Paolo by his side, I believe that Milan will return as winners, perhaps not soon, but they will return."

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
It's clearly a done deal since December. Everything since then is PR bullshit.

:thumbsup:

Zvonny's not dumb...he wouldn't have opened his big mouth unless he had concrete evidence and his exact words were "Gazidis CLOSED a deal with Rangnick in December."

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score

Elliott will probably sell Donnarumma to balance the books and allow Ralf to reinvest the proceeds from selling players who are too old/don't fit his philosophy.

LOWEST PRICES

Musacchio 10m
Laxalt 5m
Hakan 15m
Paqueta 25m
Kessie 20m
Silva 20m
Caldara 15m
RR 5m
Suso 20m

TOTAL 135m

I also believe that Romagnoli and/or Hernandez could be sacrificed to fund a few signings.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Elliott will probably sell Donnarumma to balance the books and allow Ralf to reinvest the proceeds from selling players who are too old/don't fit his philosophy.

LOWEST PRICES

Musacchio 10m
Laxalt 5m
Hakan 15m
Paqueta 25m
Kessie 20m
Silva 20m
Caldara 15m
RR 5m
Suso 20m

TOTAL 135m

I also believe that Romagnoli and/or Hernandez could be sacrificed to fund a few signings.

You forgot the 22 or 25 (depending on the report) m from Piatek and Silva won't be sold this summer as he is tied with Frankfurt.

Ralf will easily have 100-150 m at his disposal just from sales without even having to let any of Roma or Theo go. Also, I am pretty sure that Elliott themselves will add some 20-30 m more.

Also, with Kjaer being signed for 2.5 m, I can see us selling Duarte for 7-8 m. One of Calabria/Conti is gone too for 10-15 m depending on many factors. Krunic may also be sold for 6-7 m.

There is a fair chance Ralf gets 200 m in total to build a whole new team around Theo, Roma, Ben, Leao, Rebic. 6-7 starters and 3-4 subs for 200 m is achievable if you spot the good deals and he can surely do it.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
:thumbsup:

Zvonny's not dumb...he wouldn't have opened his big mouth unless he had concrete evidence and his exact words were "Gazidis CLOSED a deal with Rangnick in December."

Exactly. Whatever legal ground Boban has will center around whether they interfered into his domain as Director of Football by hiring a new coach/director of sport behind his back. If there is no evidence that Rangnick was hired before the interview then he has no case. The news at the time was Rangnick signed an agreement binding him to Milan and he would sign the deal in July, with a penalty for Milan if they back out.

I don't see any reason why this would not be true.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I’m really looking forward to our 2022 squad with Suso and Silva back in the mix.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score

LOWEST PRICES

Musacchio 10m
Laxalt 5m
Hakan 15m
Paqueta 25m
Kessie 20m
Silva 20m
Caldara 15m
RR 5m
Suso 20m

TOTAL 135m

I don't agree with this list. I think there is no chance in hell we're going to be selling Theo. Maybe Romagnoli is sacrificed depending on offers and his demands for a new deal.

I think those out are:

Donnarumma
Calabria
Musacchio
Laxalt
Paqueta
Silva
Caldara
RR
Suso
Bonaventura
Biglia

I don't think we'll sell Hakan or Kessie.

Kessie has looked great next to Bennacer in a more direct, pressing midfield. Hakan will do well also, and Rangnick would have had him at Leipzig if not for Gattuso.

I think the team with only current squad players will be this:

New CB, RB and Goalkeeper needed. Upgrades or at least rotation players at CM, RM, LM and CF. Including a new backup LB that's around 8 or 9 new players in. On average if each player is around 15m that's 135m, which should be in the range of what we get if we sell all those I listed. Remember the reason why we're getting Rangnick is we won't be buying 30-40m rated players anymore. We will buy a lot of players with potential and hopefully a few of them will explode, like Bennacer and Theo did.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Keep in mind that he also likes to mirror his formations against opposition especially as he use to have a lot of problems against teams that go very wide, so we should see a 352 very often against teams like Lazio, etc. This would help Theo a lot and seeing the prevalence of wide teams in Serie A we could see a 352 variant more often than 442.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
You forgot the 22 or 25 (depending on the report) m from Piatek and Silva won't be sold this summer as he is tied with Frankfurt.

Ralf will easily have 100-150 m at his disposal just from sales without even having to let any of Roma or Theo go. Also, I am pretty sure that Elliott themselves will add some 20-30 m more.

Also, with Kjaer being signed for 2.5 m, I can see us selling Duarte for 7-8 m. One of Calabria/Conti is gone too for 10-15 m depending on many factors. Krunic may also be sold for 6-7 m.

There is a fair chance Ralf gets 200 m in total to build a whole new team around Theo, Roma, Ben, Leao, Rebic. 6-7 starters and 3-4 subs for 200 m is achievable if you spot the good deals and he can surely do it.

Re Piatek, I forgot that we paid Genoa 35m in cash a year ago (same goes for Paqueta) so technically his sale fee could be included in the mercato budget unless Elliott decide to use it to cover the c.100m losses this year (along with Donnarumma's sale). Re Silva, there was talk in Bild recently about Frankfurt buying him outright but it's probably best he stays there for another year given that I can't see us paying 30m+ for Rebic (even though Ralf signed him on loan for Leipzig).

Re Roma, given that his agent is Raiola and the rumoured new wage cap, Elliott may decide to cash in whereas Theo has a sky high market value which could be tempting and fit their policy of buying low and selling high.

Obviously I'd like to keep them both (along with Donna) but at the end of the day, Ralf has a proven track record of signing so many quality players in all areas of the pitch at bargain basement prices that I fully trust him.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
I don't agree with this list. I think there is no chance in hell we're going to be selling Theo. Maybe Romagnoli is sacrificed depending on offers and his demands for a new deal.

I think those out are:

Donnarumma
Calabria
Musacchio
Laxalt
Paqueta
Silva
Caldara
RR
Suso
Bonaventura
Biglia

I don't think we'll sell Hakan or Kessie.

Kessie has looked great next to Bennacer in a more direct, pressing midfield. Hakan will do well also, and Rangnick would have had him at Leipzig if not for Gattuso.

I think the team with only current squad players will be this:

New CB, RB and Goalkeeper needed. Upgrades or at least rotation players at CM, RM, LM and CF. Including a new backup LB that's around 8 or 9 new players in. On average if each player is around 15m that's 135m, which should be in the range of what we get if we sell all those I listed. Remember the reason why we're getting Rangnick is we won't be buying 30-40m rated players anymore. We will buy a lot of players with potential and hopefully a few of them will explode, like Bennacer and Theo did.

We probably won't sell Theo for at least another year, however, given that his price has easily doubled and Elliott's policy of buying low and selling high you can never say never. However, I think that Romagnoli will definitely leave (especially if we sell Donna) given that they share the same bloodsucking agent plus he's probably sick and tired of the constant turnover at the club and wants a new challenge (who can blame him).

Re Kessie/Hakan, I think that Kessie is more likely to stay (along with Samu) given that they fit Ralf's u23 policy and are both relatively quick, athletic and good at pressing which are all attributes he looks for in a player. However, I would expect them both to be rotational players in the new team at best. As for Hakan, I think he's shown that he's just not suited to Italian football and it's best we cash in on him before his contract expires next summer and reinvest the proceeds in a younger player with high potential.

Also, I think that Conti is more likely to leave than Calabria given that he's injury prone plus Calabria fits the "homegrown" quota which will become even more important if we sell Donna.

I think we pretty much agree on the rest although if you're including expiring contracts then I'd also include Ibra and Kjaer. Also, if we sell Donna then it might be a good idea to give an experienced GK like Reina the starting spot for a season instead of relying on an unproven youngster for such a key position. Reina's more than good enough and this would allow us to reinvest Donna's sale proceeds in other areas of the pitch (unless Elliott use the money to cover the deficit).

Last edited:

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We probably won't sell Theo for at least another year, however, given that his price has easily doubled and Elliott's policy of buying low and selling high you can never say never. However, I think that Romagnoli will definitely leave (especially if we sell Donna) given that they share the same bloodsucking agent plus he's probably sick and tired of the constant turnover at the club and wants a new challenge (who can blame him).

Re Kessie/Hakan, I think that Kessie is more likely to stay (along with Samu) given that they fit Ralf's u23 policy and are both relatively quick, athletic and good at pressing which are all attributes he looks for in a player. However, I would expect them both to be rotational players in the new team at best. As for Hakan, I think he's shown that he's just not suited to Italian football and it's best we cash in on him before his contract expires next summer and reinvest the proceeds in a younger player with high potential.

Also, I think that Conti is more likely to leave than Calabria given that he's injury prone plus Calabria fits the "homegrown" quota which will become even more important if we sell Donna.

I think we pretty much agree on the rest although if you're including expiring contracts then I'd also include Ibra and Kjaer. Also, if we sell Donna then it might be a good idea to give an experienced GK like Reina the starting spot for a season instead of relying on an unproven youngster for such a key position. Reina's more than good enough and this would allow us to reinvest Donna's sale proceeds in other areas of the pitch (unless Elliott use the money to cover the deficit).

I don't think their policy is to buy low to sell high. It's buy low to raise the value of the club. They want to cash out ASAP, they don't want to run the club for longer than they have to.

Yeah I don't see Ibra staying but maybe Kjaer will stay. He's cheap and low risk. Same with Saelemaekers. I don't agree with Reina, I think his salary is just too crazy high for Elliott, he won't stay. I'm sure we can find a good goalkeeper for a reasonable amount. No need for him to be as good as Donnarumma, just someone good enough.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think their policy is to buy low to sell high. It's buy low to raise the value of the club. They want to cash out ASAP, they don't want to run the club for longer than they have to.

Yeah I don't see Ibra staying but maybe Kjaer will stay. He's cheap and low risk. Same with Saelemaekers. I don't agree with Reina, I think his salary is just too crazy high for Elliott, he won't stay. I'm sure we can find a good goalkeeper for a reasonable amount. No need for him to be as good as Donnarumma, just someone good enough.

I actually think they are planning to build their own Leipzig. Buy cheap, keep and develop the players, reach UCL for 2 straight years, reach the knock-out stage, have a team full of young and valuable players, by this time (around summer of 2022) the stadium will be like at an advanced stage (if they actually start it :lol:) and then the club will be easily worth 1.5 b or even more.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I actually think they are planning to build their own Leipzig. Buy cheap, keep and develop the players, reach UCL for 2 straight years, reach the knock-out stage, have a team full of young and valuable players, by this time (around summer of 2022) the stadium will be like at an advanced stage (if they actually start it :lol:) and then the club will be easily worth 1.5 b or even more.

easy peasy

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score

No chance...Forbes value Juve at 1.5bn and they also own their own stadium, have a team stacked with top players, have won 8 Scudetti in a row and reached the CL final twice in 5 years...

Last edited:

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
No chance...Forbes value Juve at 1.5bn and they also own their own stadium, have a team stacked with top players, have won 8 Scudetti in a row and reached the CL final twice in 5 years...

Forbes valuations =/= seller's price

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score

I’m not so sure...RB Salzburg have a habit of following the Atalanta model and selling their best players every year e.g. Haaland, Minamino & Dabbur not to mention selling the likes of Haidara, Upamecano & Keita to their sister club Leipzig. Apparently they made over 200m profit on player sales over the past 5 years. As for Leipzig, they’ve done reasonably well to hold onto their best players despite selling Keita for big bucks to Liverpool. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer given that a host of top EPL clubs are sniffing around their best players e.g. Werner, Upamecano, Sabitzer & Konate.

Re Kjaer, IMO he’s the epitome of mediocre Milan and needs to make way for somebody younger. Leipzig’s starting CBs are 20 & 21 and they’re 3rd in the league. In fact, their oldest CB is 27 whilst the fourth & fifth choice are both still teenagers. Also, Reina still has a year left on his contract and earns 3m which is probably the salary cap limit so I don’t see why Elliott would get rid of him if Donna’s sold.

Last edited:

Nalim

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm reading. 150-200 million budget? All football clubs are bleeding money right now and Milan is no exception. (Milan was already bleeding money before the crisis)
I think the window will be the quietest we've ever seen. Clubs won't have finances to spend big and given the uncertainty of the situation I don't think many players especially the one's with families will be keen on moving at least not to northern Italy anyway.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Forbes valuations =/= seller's price

True but it’s a good approximation of the tangibles ie according to them we’re worth 600m which is pretty fair for a loss making team without a stadium and devoid of top players and CL.

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score

If a provincial club in Turin is valued at 1.5B, imagine Milan at the height of its powers.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm reading. 150-200 million budget? All football clubs are bleeding money right now and Milan is no exception. (Milan was already bleeding money before the crisis)
I think the window will be the quietest we've ever seen. Clubs won't have finances to spend big and given the uncertainty of the situation I don't think many players especially the one's with families will be keen on moving at least not to northern Italy anyway.

images

omer486

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Roma was sold to Friedkin for around 800 mil (including debt ). They have a somewhat decent team , 1 scudetto, no cl finals, no stadium, no strong international following.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
Roma was sold to Friedkin for around 800 mil (including debt ). They have a somewhat decent team , 1 scudetto, no cl finals, no stadium, no strong international following.

Roma haven’t been sold yet but the figures you quoted are in line with what Yonghong paid Berlusconi which shows how far our club has fallen...

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score

I think you will be surprised. I expect a perfectly normal mercato except for the prices that will probably be slightly lower.

MilanBG

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Roma haven’t been sold yet but the figures you quoted are in line with what Yonghong paid Berlusconi which shows how far our club has fallen...

Exactly. Milan full of shit players, no UCL, no stadium, not a single star was sold for 750 m. Now imagine Milan being at UCL's 1/8, having a stadium, young valuable squad with a few stars. That's 1.5 b without much trouble

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Sheva, Nesta, Pippo, T. Silva, Kaka, Seedorf, Laudrup, Maradona,
06/07 2nd leg against Man U streaming on UEFA TV for free.

Watching it as I work from home, legendary night, torrential downpour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule