Analysis of Montolivo during Cagliari. [Warning: many images]

Gator_McKlusky

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini Nesta Pirlo Gattuso Shevchenko Kaka
Hi all,

First thread I'm starting myself. If I'm missing some obligatory stuff; apologies. Also apologies for the ridiculous long post. Reason I'm writing this is because in ACM-CAG match thread opinions differed. Was it just Monty who sucked? Was it the whole team? Why? What happened? Etc.
Another reason I'm writing it, is because I was/am bored.

I rewatched the first half of the Cagliari match (second half is being worked on, but I also have other things in life to do :p), focused on the chances they got and looked if Montolivo indeed had a major role to play in it, and why.

So, here goes.

The very first noteworthy chance (imo) is in the 22nd minute. Montolivo wasn't at fault here at all.

First Chance
First_Chance.png

Conti conquers the ball, Suso ends up having it. Conti keeps pushing forward, Suso tried to be too fancy and loses it. Within 2 hits the ball travels around 70-80 meters. It's hard to tell who's at fault here for the shot on target, but both ACM's CB's are looking at the ball instead of their surroundings, and RR lets the player get in front of him.
IMO Bonucci should've trusted Musacchio to stay locked on the ball so he could've quickly checked his surroundings, and RR shouldn't have lost focus on that guy.

Second Chance
Second_Chance.png

For this one I do hold Montolivo accountable, but Kessié & Borini don't get a free pass here.
- First, in defense you can clearly see it's a 4-4-1-1 set up.
- Kessié and Montolivo as central mids,
- Borini and Suso on both flanks.
- Hakan plays as an anchor between mid and Cutrone.

The ball got passed from the def towards the rightback.
The ball gets passed from the RB to player marked with #1. Borini is out of position here. At this moment, its a 6 vs 8 setup. (4 mid vs mid, and 2 FC's vs 4 DC's)
Borini should be marking player tagged with number 1
Kessie should be marking player with number 2
Montolivo should be marking player number 3

But! Borini gives his man way to much space and Kessié's man dives into the hole created. Now here comes the problem. Montoliv, instead of moving either with his own man (#3) or marking #2 properly, he's indecisive. He does an half-shit attempt at literally nothing (which you can see at the grass-lines. He literally did 3 steps).
This frees up player #1 and #2 to pass, and to find player #3 who went completely unmarked towards the defense. This turned into a 3 vs 4 for the defense, so RR steps forward to intercept. Partially works, but player #2 is still completely unmarked!
Literally the whole defensive line moves back while player #1 and #2 keep moving forward. Player #3 Barely needs to move and gets a fuckton of space and receives the ball from player #2.
Because Montolivo neither marks man #2 OR #3, they have enough room and space to start a buildup. In this case a semi wide backpass that was attempted to be put behind the defense.

Borini, Montolivo and Kessié all three didn't look healthy. Kessié might've decided not to leave his position because of the guy on the middle circle and decided to mark the zone instead, also leaving himself open with space for counter possibilities. But Borini should've been on his man like flies on poo, and Montolivo should've made a decision and stuck with it. Cancel #2's space, or deny #3's free movement forward.
Personally I think Montolivo should've taken player #2 and denied him space. It would create a 3 vs 4 at the defense, but neither #1 or #2 would've been able to play the ball easily forward.

Third Chance
Third_Chance.png

This one is easy for me. It's absolutely Montolivo's fault here.
The picture describes it all easily enough. Montolivo should've never done that run, Kessié had his own area under control. Opposition holding the ball there isn't so bad that you need to leave your own position. Kessie still manages to get to the player holding the ball, and Montolivo just doesn't run any further. He moved from position, generating a huge gap in mid that was exploited.

Fourth Chance
Fourth_Chance.png

This chance I also mostly blame on Montolivo. RR receives the ball from Donna. Donna -could've- done a medium-long pass to middle, but alas. Montella plays from the back, so maybe that's why Donna didn't. Alas. RR receives the ball and gets chased by someone. He -literally- cannot play anywhere else except to Musacchio;who as a right-footed player (and someone close by) can't take the ball easily. Musacchio's limitation with his left foot is partially a fault, but tactically I can't blame the guy here. But look at Monto. He backwalks towards the guy he's supposed to mark... WHY?! You're in possession; you don't need to walk to your mark! Play yourself free.
Option 1: Move towards goaly. Either their #10 joins you, but it creates space on midfield in which to pass (where Kessié was free), or the #10 doesn't walk with you, and you can pass yourself out of that situation nice and clear.
Option 2: Turn and sprint towards mid. #10 will either not join, and you can receive the ball, or, again, he will join and it'll free up Kessié.
Option 3: Go towards the sideline so you block the incoming player and give RR space to get out.

Montolivo boxed him in here, and by staying stationary, he forced RR in the only 'safe' solution; to Musacchio.
Musacchio can't clear it, and what Montolivo does next, I still facepalm. Instead of sticking with the guy he was uselessly sticking with during possession; he goes chasing after the ball. Which, yes, gives his marked target all the freedom of the world to run into the box.

Fifth Chance
Fifth_Chance.png

Where he marked uselessly before during possession, he neglected a complete marking duty here. Ball goes to the flank, he has to run back to the box, but still isn't marking him. In the last still you can see his position in the black box. The green box is Bonucci intercepting it.

Sixth Chance
Sixt_Chance.png

This guy. Seriously. He receives the ball after a good take-over. Borini was completely free, and RR was only slightly on his rear-left. However, he runs towards mid, and sees Kessié run forward. Together with 2 of their players, a midfielder marking the zone, and (although I can't blame him for not seeing it) a DC storming in. If he did not see Kessié getting boxed in, he's a moron. So, obviously, Kessié gets completely boxed in, and loses the ball. From around the middle circle back to the defense, he keeps walking backwards, giving the mids oceans of space in which to operate. Can be fine, that's a tactical choice you can make. But when the player passed the midfield, he still kept walking backwards. Instead of stepping in and -forcing- the player to do something, he allowed free space and creativity to the opponent. Their number ten gets room (again) and gets a shot on target. RR blocks it with his heel; Montolivo's sliding tackle was too late.

So the first 45 minutes, Montolivo caused several moments where Cagliari could've scored but didn't; either due to his teammates fixing it or Cagliari screwing it up.

I wont hate any ACM player as long as they play in the shirt, no matter how useless they seem. They're part of the team, and I want them to be the best as they can be. So this isn't random dislike for a player. I'm too old for that shit.

I was ecstatic when ACM signed Montolivo, because back then, he really was quite good. However his form never reached those high levels in ACM. Then last season, when he wasn't all that bad (iirc), he got a nice little injury that kept him out for a large portion of the season. When he got back on the field, it all was rather... sub par.

Again, sorry for the long post. Might make another one if people don't hate it.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
fuckin hell, what is this ??

he made more effort than Monto put in the game :eek:

From now on we expect you to do this every game he plays

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Wait you were 'ecstatic' when Milan signed Monto? Wow.

I love the effect Montolivo has on this forum :lol:

Gator_McKlusky

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
See it as a very well build argument over whether or not Montolivo could've cost us the game... :)

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
very well then

Gator_McKlusky

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wait you were 'ecstatic' when Milan signed Monto? Wow.

I love the effect Montolivo has on this forum :lol:

People forget easily. :)
He was really quite alright at Fio, especially his last season. And his first season at us he was also good. Thanks to his assist against Zenit, for example, we actually got through the group stage in de CL. Also on several other occasions he got us points by scoring or assisting from a DM-position.

Doesn't mean that he's literally worthless the last few years though.

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Oh :lol: this is new to me

Montoleader

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ive had to have at least 2 wanks before processing all this in, my brain cant take all that information in one go

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
measuring time in wanks is pretty fucked up man

Gator_McKlusky

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Well, guess I can do the second half now. Girlfriend pissed off, don't wanna be in bed with her now. Pro-tip: Don't watch the season finale of GoT and the new Rick and Morty without your other half...

More imagewall incoming in a bit...

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
Holy shit
Please work for me

Gator_McKlusky

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Well, second half.

It actually was less than the first half. Mostly because of Biglia.

First chance, second half.
2ndhalffirstchance.png

This was actually started because of a bad pass by Suso. Kessié was hardly at fault; the chance of keeping it in ACM's play was very small. The tackle was good, the pass ass.

Montolivo again decides to chase the ball/ballplayer instead of thinking about his man or area. There's only one way to not give him any form of blame here; namely he did cut off the passing route to one player. But leaving two players and a whole area unmarked is a steep price for that. If the player marked as #1 was a bit more cheeky (Ala Icardi or Dzeko) he wouldn't have tried going behind RR, but would have shouted for the ball in his stride and just plowed it towards goal.

Second chance, second half.

2ndhalfsecondchance.png

This was seriously atrocious. This is the type of goal you expect in the Serie C, and a major clusterfuck of the entire backteam -AND- by Montella.
There's so much wrong here, I might hit a text-limit just delving in.
Who in their right mind let their CB's play so wide, so far back? Where are the wingbacks? If they (CD's) would've positioned themself more forward, and the wingbacks actually on our half, you would've gotten much more potential exits. Now you only had 1 real option; Musacchio.
-- Bonucci had to risk an interception towards RR or Kessié
-- Kessie was blocked left and right, and by the time he can turn with the ball, an opposing MC could walk in
-- Monti makes sure he can't even receive the ball, standing in the middle of two men.

Donna passes to Kessié anyway, and he ofc. gets raped on the spot by an army of Cagliari players.

But sure, that can happen, though it's dumb, but all the follow up actions are horrible too.
First; Monto doesn't allow Kessié an emergency exit; he could've moved towards the 16; both opening for a pass and opening the left side of ACM.
Second; Why is Musacchio still there? Did he order crisps and a coke from the sidelines? Waiting for his pizza? Why didn't he storm in faster?
Why is Bonucci still so deep?
Anyhoo. Ball gets conquered, and the situation turns from a 4 vs 2 to a 3 vs 3.
Musacchio gets to cover one
Monto runs along with one but sees what's happening
Bonucci starts to move in to the free man

Ball goes wide to free man, and now Monty touches it. Fucking. Idiot. Instead of letting the ball roll closer towards Bonucci by NOT doing anything, he manages to graze it and put it in front of the opponent... Bonucci can't get there in time anymore, ball goes wide, #10 scores. The #10 Montolivo was supposed to mark.
But blaming this entirely on Monty's suckage is wrong. This entire situation was a clusterfuck from all the players on that area; in my opinion even the least of Kessié. He gets a shit ball and gets swamped.

Second half, chance Cagliari
Shitpass_Suso.png

The chance that Cagliari got in the 76th minute (left side of goal in the 16 box, where the ball flew in front of the goal behind the line) was because of another miss-pass by Suso. The ball to Kessié was misplaced, and too soft for Biglia to catch up to.

I actually noticed several more cockups by Suso as the match progressed, but he had ran a lot and it was scorching warm there. Several other cockups by Montolivo as well.
But Kessié didn't play as bad as I thought yesterday; he was often the victim of shitty passing. But once Biglia got on and took control, Monto and Kessié were allowed to play with much more freedom, and you noticed it helped.

Well, time to sleep now. Ciao. :p

Tantalis

Heyoka
Reaction score
But but but he got a 6.5

giphy.gif

Last edited:

agsgualdino

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
good analysis. had a nice coffee this morning when i woke up and read it on the balcony. great start to the day haha

for some reason montolivo has an effect over me as well and i still think he is a quality fotoballer despite knowing his huge limitations.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
Great analysis.

This is exactly the argument I've been having on this forum the past couple of days.

Sure Monto was not the worst midfielder on the day....but he didn't do his job and was probably the root cause of our paper thin midfield.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i'm sure i will get lots of hate. but here is my take on some of the situations you mentioned.

first half third chance
the third chance can't be faulted. the cagliari player slipped and he had to go for the ball. cagliari player was determined not to loose the ball and was able to somehow win the ball from both him and kessie or maybe both put in a weak ass attempt to win the ball but the intention was logical choice.

second half first chance
it is the way we play when in defense, formation becomes 4141 and monto drops deep closer to defense. two midfielders weren't tracking back to cover the player you mentioned.

the goal
again this is the way we build the play(most team does same). both cb moves to wide position and fb move slightly forward and gk usually passes to one of the cbs. monto did well to drift and take a player away from kessie and donnarumma passed the ball to kessie because it seemed he wanted the ball. nobody expected kessie to miscontroll the pass. as soon as that happened he tracked the player moving towards the goal but then another cagliari player overlapped right in front of him and the player he was tracking previously holds his run. when the pass was made, the overlapping player blocked the view and monto was wrong footed but he still managed to deflect the ball away. the scorer was just clever who held his run because there was acres of space and nobody was pressuring him.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
now do the same with all others so we'll have context.