Week 1: Udinese - Milan 25/08/19 18:00 CET

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
This is under seven days away, let's start talking about it.

Rumoured line-up:

Donnarumma
Calabria - Musacchio - Romagnoli - Rodriguez
Borini - Biglia - Calhanoglu
Suso
Castillejo - Piatek

This is the first competitive game of Giampaolo's Milan career, and expectations are high for this season. Krunic, Hernandez, Bennacer, Leao and Duarte are new signings but none are rumoured to start because Giampaolo demands loyalty to his system and movements and the guys who've only just returned from vacation are unfamiliar with exactly what he asks of them. The same goes for presupposed starters Paqueta and Kessie.

The transfer window closes in two weeks and we have several players rumoured out, with Correa the main player rumoured in. At the time of writing this no hard developments have occurred on this front, and it's likely that what we currently have is what to drum up excitement for on game day.

Personally I'm extremely underwhelmed at seeing this first XI, and it feels like a B team of sorts. Nonetheless my expectations of PLAY are huge, and as long as Piatek can shake his pre-season issues and start scoring we should be well in line for three points.

Haven't been this excited for a season for many years, but looking at that rumoured first XI it feels like nothing has changed. Hopefully Giampaolo's tactical prowess and attention to detail can finally result in our expectations being met and for him to serve as our coach for many seasons.

Forza Milan!

ForzaACM

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka Zidane R9 Robben Nesta Henry Suarez Messi Maldini Rivaldo Iniesta Dinho Sheva Pippo
We must start with a win.

Udine away will be a good first test for the team but we need to get all 3pts.

ForzaACM

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka Zidane R9 Robben Nesta Henry Suarez Messi Maldini Rivaldo Iniesta Dinho Sheva Pippo
Gigio
Calabria Duarte Romagnoli RR
Kessie Bennacer Paqueta
Suso
Leao Pistolero

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Imagine doubting a win here when Hitchens opened the thread.

giphy.gif

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We must win this, but with Borinho in mid 3... who are we kidding?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Imagine doubting a win here when Hitchens opened the thread.

giphy.gif

Can't remember if that's still a perfect stat but let's hope it will be this season :proud:

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
I love the sound of the word "presupposed"

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We have had the most important but most disrupted pre season in a decade

Most important because for the first time in a decade we are seeing a clear STYLE and identity of play. (i.e you saw vs manchester united and bits vs benfica in the first half).

Most disrupted as we havent secured all our targets in the market yet and we have players not fully ready in our squad, i,e benacer, kessie, paqueta, leo, krunic

Im happy with our first 11. Not happy with the team but happy we arent risking key players who are only at 60 percent. RnB members be wanting paqueta and leo to start whilst not fully fit but then be cursing milan-lab when we get injuries.

Very excited for this season- but think this game is very hard to win, I consider udinese as favourites when you consider the line ups. Ill take a draw, but if we snatch a win it will be incredible. I fully expect us to win our next 2 games vs newly promoted teams, as I think paqueta, kessie and leo will be in the line up then. Shame we couldnt play brescia at home next week, then udinese the week after!

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
If borini starts......

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Sudtirol LUL Udinese LUL relegation contenders pieces of shit. Play to not concede and all that Italian football bullshit.

It will be a hard-fought away win.

Forza Milan!

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If borini starts......

Giampaolo already said that the players he used against Cesena are the ones that give him more guarantees. I might disagree but he has trained them the longest.

I assume that Udinese are going to play like Cesena did but at least there are going to be quite a few more yellow cards since against Cesena the referee was in "friendly" mode.

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
Please positive energy only in this thread. Dont need negativity for our first week

giphy.gif

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
3 points or seppuku

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
We have had the most important but most disrupted pre season in a decade

Most important because for the first time in a decade we are seeing a clear STYLE and identity of play. (i.e you saw vs manchester united and bits vs benfica in the first half).

Most disrupted as we havent secured all our targets in the market yet and we have players not fully ready in our squad, i,e benacer, kessie, paqueta, leo, krunic

Im happy with our first 11. Not happy with the team but happy we arent risking key players who are only at 60 percent. RnB members be wanting paqueta and leo to start whilst not fully fit but then be cursing milan-lab when we get injuries.

Very excited for this season- but think this game is very hard to win, I consider udinese as favourites when you consider the line ups. Ill take a draw, but if we snatch a win it will be incredible. I fully expect us to win our next 2 games vs newly promoted teams, as I think paqueta, kessie and leo will be in the line up then. Shame we couldnt play brescia at home next week, then udinese the week after!

:star: Compliments, dcfc, on a very good post. I think you've summarized it well - the disputed pre-season, and the evolution of an identity etc.

I personally thought our pre-season was productive. It's not easy to evolve a complex identity so quickly after playing in a largely identity-less fashion for a few years. The identity was evident against Cesena, Feronikeli and Man Utd.

I don't think this pre-season had any other purpose for us.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I expect the midfield starters to be Hakan-Biglia-Borini as well, with Paqueta probably the closest to a starting position between the other midfielders, based on Giampaolo's friendly experiments.

I just hope Leao starts in attack instead of Castillejo. Even though he's raw, he's still better than our Samu.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
I liked what I saw from Duarte, he won’t start but I can see something in him. Hopefully once Caldara is fit he makes Musacchio 4th choice.

Leao needs to start, Samu has been extremely average in pre season and clearly Piatek has been suffering next to him. If Samu starts I’m expecting nothing special from us and probably no goals or one lucky one and that’s it.

Paqueta should be starting but I’ll bet my bottom dollar that Borini starts over him..

Expecting an annoying game with a draw being the final result..

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
This is under seven days away, let's start talking about it.

Rumoured line-up:

Donnarumma
Calabria - Musacchio - Romagnoli - Rodriguez
Borini - Biglia - Calhanoglu
Suso
Castillejo - Piatek

This is the first competitive game of Giampaolo's Milan career, and expectations are high for this season. Krunic, Hernandez, Bennacer, Leao and Duarte are new signings but none are rumoured to start because Giampaolo demands loyalty to his system and movements and the guys who've only just returned from vacation are unfamiliar with exactly what he asks of them. The same goes for presupposed starters Paqueta and Kessie.

The transfer window closes in two weeks and we have several players rumoured out, with Correa the main player rumoured in. At the time of writing this no hard developments have occurred on this front, and it's likely that what we currently have is what to drum up excitement for on game day.

Personally I'm extremely underwhelmed at seeing this first XI, and it feels like a B team of sorts. Nonetheless my expectations of PLAY are huge, and as long as Piatek can shake his pre-season issues and start scoring we should be well in line for three points.

Haven't been this excited for a season for many years, but looking at that rumoured first XI it feels like nothing has changed. Hopefully Giampaolo's tactical prowess and attention to detail can finally result in our expectations being met and for him to serve as our coach for many seasons.

Forza Milan!

:star:
Nice to see Hitchens opening the season for us. And may it be a glorious season!

I don't like that starting XI either, but glass half-full is that we have exciting options coming off the bench in Conti, Kessie, Bennacer, Paqueta, Bonaventura and Leao.

Having a most incomplete squad for pre-season (and opening games) is pretty frustrating, but step by step we will grow as the season goes on and we the fans will need to take a breath and enjoy the process.

Last edited:

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Giampaolo already said that the players he used against Cesena are the ones that give him more guarantees. I might disagree but he has trained them the longest.

I assume that Udinese are going to play like Cesena did but at least there are going to be quite a few more yellow cards since against Cesena the referee was in "friendly" mode.

No matter how you look at it you can’t start with borini at cm and castillejo ss.. that’s asking for a loss.
Udinese away has always been one of our hardest opponents... looking at that potential line-up, i am expecting a draw at best.

Qaas

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Since 2008 we have defeated udinese (away) 3 TIMES.... only 3 times.

0cb56c1578e82c9223c538cf2700dd0b.jpg

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Time for our fourth time since 2008 then. Cant wait :love:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
No matter how you look at it you can’t start with borini at cm and castillejo ss.. that’s asking for a loss.
Udinese away has always been one of our hardest opponents... looking at that potential line-up, i am expecting a draw at best.

Being optimistic... Paqueta or Leao to come off the bench to be decisive.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
So are our first team players available for this one or are they still on vacation/not fit/inured?

Master Smurf

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baggio, Weah, Bergkamp, Becks, Sheva, Kaka, Rooney, Kun, Thiago Silva, Pato, Kessie
So are our first team players available for this one or are they still on vacation/not fit/inured?

The coach says they havent been integrated into the system well enough as yet.

Only real injury is Theo.