Quarter-finals: The Netherlands 0-0 Costa Rica (PK: 4-3) - Sat 05/07/2014 22:00 CEST

Team to qualify for the semi-finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If the Dutch lost, van Persie would take lion share of the fault

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
no it's genius ... the purpose of this substitution is to boost Holland's player mentality, that's why they can score 4 perfect penalties (very accurate shots) and make a Goalkeeper more confident

cool, but you're wrong

williamp

FODDERabt_H8r
Reaction score
10303816_871048312924276_5332532778723638167_n.jpg

Just leaving this here.... :star:

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Ruud said it was also because of a height/reach difference, which makes sense. I assume he's pretty keyed into the team that he's going to start coaching soon.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
:star: :star: :star:
Costa Rica have made so many people happy this tournament!

Took out over 90% of the invaders... fought with honour and dignity. Beautiful team, perhaps not in quality, but definitely in every other way. A lot of respect for their manager too.

Now its up to the Kings (Brazil n Arg) themselves to protect their 'Honour, Pride n Glory'.

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
dis ***** van gaal only made that sub to show his dick-size large

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
Its the lets overrate van gaal for any meaningless thing he does. Its funny people in here were sure it was a 90 minute affair for the dutch, so Ill take a guess and say he wasnt really good today, so they found that one thing that is pretty circumstancial.

He's done great, changing keepers before pks its more of a cabala than anything though.

Watched the game with my father and told him 95% chance of extra time, maybe to penalties. Didn't believe me.

Rickaka

molto life
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Seedorf, Memphis, Tomori, Leão
Hats off to Costa Rica, fought like lions and came really far :thumbsup:

Louis van Gaal is something else though..
Semis with this squad.. Unreal.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amazing stuff by Costa Rica!

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Grande Costa Rica.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Hats off to Costa Rica, fought like lions and came really far :thumbsup:

Louis van Gaal is something else though..
Semis with this squad.. Unreal.

Yep. However, he did have a bit of luck as both CONCACAF teams had even less quality than this Dutch team (a lot less quality compared to the usual Netherland teams)

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Man what a game. I hope the dutch wont be this wasteful against king midget.

Sneijder still got it when it counts.

It's scoring 4/4 that's the real achievement.

Yeah i agree. All the dutch penalties were well taken. Good angle on all of em especially RVP and kuyt.

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
That was seedorfs dream for the milan bench. Just Jaap instead of Danny, D&G suits and Tasotti chained in the basement.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
no it's genius ... the purpose of this substitution is to boost Holland's player mentality, that's why they can score 4 perfect penalties (very accurate shots) and make a Goalkeeper more confident

It's more the other way around. To freak out the Costa Rican penalty takers.

Half of them would've immediately assumed Krul to be a monster in penalty-saving or something.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Costa Rica undefeated at World Cup 2014 :cool:

G.Costanza

AKA Costanza
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pippo, Jack
Say what you want about Holland, I think now their chances is as good any other team in the semis.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
If you look at it realisicly only one team deserved to win. 22 shots, 3 times the bar, 1 time the post and numerous saves of Navas. We kept on creating and creating. Sneijder was immense with his range of passes during 120 minutes.

And robben is on another planet <3

FUCK YEAH. Only two more victories.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
^and costa rica had their only offensive action in the 117 minute or so.

They barely crossed the halfway line

It would have been so beautiful had they won. The Dutch would hate them for 50+ years. :lol:

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score
It would have been so beautiful had they won. The Dutch would hate them for 50+ years. :lol:

nope.

It wouldve been incredible undeserved if Costa Rica had won.

It wasnt like Netherlands were that type of team with possession but no real danger to their game. They were attacking and creating lots of chances, they were just really unlucky.

To me Netherlands played the best football in this tournament.

They faced strong teams and they coped with brio.

And they re doing it without de Jong and Strootman..

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
^and costa rica had their only offensive action in the 117 minute or so.

They barely crossed the halfway line

Nah. We even had a clear pk (and Im saying clear pk cause the ref called one for us on the edge of the dutch area just a minute later)*at the start of the 2nd half. We also had a dangerous corner there and a couple of other plays.

*not crying about the ref either since we deserved a red card at the end of the 90 mins. Though it does speak volumes on difference between big teams and smaller ones that we didnt get any pks when there were at least 4 against us during the tournament.

We weren't sharp. And thats it. Probably because we only have 3 attacking players in conditions to 90 minutes and drained them out, probably cause the dutch's midfield cut every source and when one of ours had the ball 3 of them where on them (its both things).

Team that wins is the team that deserves. Holland won and they deserved it, had we won we would have. Simple.

. Dont break your head trying to think "we attack more so we deserved more", your dangerous attacks all came from only one source which was Robben running in the final minutes of each half, getting a foul and from that foul crossing fingers Sneijder hit it well in some way. Each of your other attacks ended in a) clear offside b) easy head clearance or c) we took the ba from your players. Honestly I expected something more after HT from Holland, our game was clear as day. I dunno more involvement from Sneijder taking shots from outside, doing 1-1 fast plays to break the defense, putting Huntelaar on earlier with RVP.

I dunno saving a sub to change the gk to save pks tells me we weren't the only ones expecting to take the game to pks.

They won and its deserved. Neither them or us cheated to get the result, so yeah simple ball don't lie logic. Congrats and good luck.

justhope

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Nah. We even had a clear pk (and Im saying clear pk cause the ref called one for us on the edge of the dutch area just a minute later)*at the start of the 2nd half. We also had a dangerous corner there and a couple of other plays.

The penalty it's debatable, you know nobody calls a PK as easy as calls a free kick in middle of the pitch.
As I said Costa Rica had their first penalty in the second period of extra time( somewhere around the 115th minute). It s a stat that the commentator mentioned it during the game. Not sure what "dangerous" means to you..

*not crying about the ref either since we deserved a red card at the end of the 90 mins. Though it does speak volumes on difference between big teams and smaller ones that we didnt get any pks when there were at least 4 against us during the tournament.

We weren't sharp. And thats it. Probably because we only have 3 attacking players in conditions to 90 minutes and drained them out, probably cause the dutch's midfield cut every source and when one of ours had the ball 3 of them where on them (its both things).

Team that wins is the team that deserves. Holland won and they deserved it, had we won we would have. Simple.

This is so wrong and it's actually bullshit. I bet you didnt said the same thing when milan was playing, having possession, creating chances and than loosing to a bonera/mexes/abiatti fuck up.

. Dont break your head trying to think "we attack more so we deserved more", your dangerous attacks all came from only one source which was Robben running in the final minutes of each half, getting a foul and from that foul crossing fingers Sneijder hit it well in some way. Each of your other attacks ended in a) clear offside b) easy head clearance or c) we took the ba from your players. Honestly I expected something more after HT from Holland, our game was clear as day. I dunno more involvement from Sneijder taking shots from outside, doing 1-1 fast plays to break the defense, putting Huntelaar on earlier with RVP.
[/QUOTE]

First to be clear, I m not from Netherlands nor do I have any affiliation with the country. I just care for them this tournament because for me they played some of the best football and they deserved the most to win it.

Second, again not sure what 'dangerous' means to you cause you had almost no attack the whole game (bar that chance in the final minutes)/

Third, Robben it;s part of the team and of the 3 attacking players. It is his main job to run at players and create chances from that right wing. Not sure if you noticed but Netherlands team was created in that way, given Kuyt also played on that part which was much more attacking than the left flank. It was by design that way(good job Louis van Gaal).

Robben was sitting much more closer to Van Persie than Memphis did and Kuyt also went up further and frequently.

And snejder which sat mostly on the left side of the attack did have some contributions combining well with Memphis like that chance when he crossed to van persie who missed an open net from a few meters..

Holland hit the post, the crossbar had the ball cleared of the goal line when the keeper was beat and number of other saves by the CR goalkeeper.

I dunno saving a sub to change the gk to save pks tells me we weren't the only ones expecting to take the game to pks.

They won and its deserved. Neither them or us cheated to get the result, so yeah simple ball don't lie logic. Congrats and good luck.

Except the difference is Costa Rica wasnt expecting penalty kicks, They were hoping/dreaming to get there. Whereas Holland tried to win the game in the 90 minutes. Not going 4-2- fantasia or whatever with huntelaar van persie robben and memphis/lens its more a to Louis van Gaal testament of a great coach and reading of the game
You dont change your defense system with an hour/ half an hour left to play.
And than the goal keeper change. It s not something that you see very often and not many have the guts to do it. Props to him for that.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
kudos to costa rica.. didnt lose to anyone in the tournament.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sacchi Rica
GobiHXI.png

Hope he doesn't drunkfight carabinieri like Seba Rossi,
10366279_1095712983802250_9116211585704175439_n.jpg

Last edited: