Week 21: AC Milan - SSC Napoli 26/01/2019 20:30 CET

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
We should have won.. I’m very annoyed

Can’t wait for the day we sell Calhanoglu and Kessie..... Suso can fuck off as well

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Only watched from 68th minute.

Thought we looked tired, but still managed a big chance. Piatek looked really fresh. I think he could've scored if Suso, Hakan, Kessie and Calabria had been able to do something dangerous in the minutes I saw.

Scandalous that Conti isn't used as an impact sub. The two attempts from Calabria I saw hit Kessie in the shoulder and the other straight into a Napoli player.

Good result at the end of the day tho. Games against opponents like this really expose the quality of some of our "best offensive players". Hakan wasted the gazillionth dangerous free kick opportunity, Suso looked everything but threatening when we needed it the most. Time and time again these players disappoint in top games. Because they're not quality.

Sign both a midfielder and a LW.

I hope Piatek buries Roma.

Albertini

Milan Legend
Reaction score
it was a great match especially for a 0-0.

in just a year gattuso has transformed this club, can't believe that people are complaining.
we went from a mid table side, to a EL qualification side to a team challenging for 4th.

1) napoli are far better than us. We matched them today and could have won.
2) we're in a great position in the league
3) we've just lost a cup match, and our best player and it seems to have motivated everyone at the club.
4) our new signings look very promising
5) we've had tons of injuries and will get those guys back soon.
6) our young players are developing brilliantly. Calabria, Roma and Dona were superb today and have been playing consistently at this level for a long time, this team can only improve.

its quite sad that some people cant enjoy the moment we go toe 2 toe with the second placed team in the league. We're getting back to where we belong. I believe in 4th if we keep this up.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
We lucky that Zielinskis finish was shit. Otherwise it would be easy win for Napoli

And if Cutrone could’ve finished that sitter off Hakan’s pass in the first half, it would have been an easy win for us?

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic

in just a year gattuso has transformed this club, can't believe that people are complaining.
we went from a mid table side, to a EL qualification side to a team challenging for 4th.

3) we've just lost a cup match, and our best player and it seems to have motivated everyone at the club.
6) our young players are developing brilliantly. Calabria, Roma and Dona were superb today and have been playing consistently at this level for a long time, this team can only improve.

its quite sad that some people cant enjoy the moment we go toe 2 toe with the second placed team in the league. We're getting back to where we belong. I believe in 4th if we keep this up.

:star:

voom

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This team desperately need speed.One fast winger.You cant expect Hakan or Paqueta to lead a counter attack.

Some simple passes these players couldnt make.

I hope Gattuso can lead this team to 4th place.For next year we need better coach.

Mr. Tea

Ac Milan Icon
Reaction score

Great post:thumbsup:
Positive things coming.

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Only watched from 68th minute.

Thought we looked tired, but still managed a big chance. Piatek looked really fresh. I think he could've scored if Suso, Hakan, Kessie and Calabria had been able to do something dangerous in the minutes I saw.

Scandalous that Conti isn't used as an impact sub. The two attempts from Calabria I saw hit Kessie in the shoulder and the other straight into a Napoli player.

Good result at the end of the day tho. Games against opponents like this really expose the quality of some of our "best offensive players". Hakan wasted the gazillionth dangerous free kick opportunity, Suso looked everything but threatening when we needed it the most. Time and time again these players disappoint in top games. Because they're not quality.

Sign both a midfielder and a LW.

I hope Piatek buries Roma.

Conti would have weakened the right side too much tonight. They applied a lot of pressure there towards the end and Conti isn't ready for that yet.

Suso was very good in my opinion, worked a lot and constructed plays. Some switch plays where too risky though, but also some marvelous switch plays followed with good movement by him.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Thanks

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo

Great post.

Just managed to catch the match.

Other positives:

Calhanoglu and Paqueta combined pretty well at the beginning, if that blossoms we will be seeing some action on that side as well as the right side. Ever since Jack was injured we have been pretty bad on the left but now it seems promising again.

Bakayoko to me still looks clumsy at times with his passing, but he is an immense defensive shield - and the best thing is he is always improving which is all one can ask for. Kudos both to him and Rino.

Piatek has good link up play and a bit of pace so the future looks exciting - could even play both him and Cutrone. He looks to have a good attitude as well so far.

The team look brighter overall and we are not missing the negativity from that guy who left.

Other thoughts:
Napoli went for it leaving spaces behind so it was nice to see what we can do against "other big teams". We tend to struggle against smaller teams who keep men behind the ball.

Patrick looked a bit dejected when he was being replaced. I hope he rises to the challenge of vying with the CF spot with Piatek and it makes both of them better - maybe the No.9 jersey goes to whoever scores more goals by the end of the season?

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
This is one of those games where I have to agree with Gattuso's subs. Napoli were overloading our left side with Callejon and Malcuit overlapping from about the 60th minute. Paqueta was out of energy and Hakan as well. We needed to add some protection there.

Then Carlo recognised this and the focus of the attack switched flanks, with Ghoulam playing really high up and Suso trying to track him, and Kessie getting drawn towards their CM, leaving a big space for Calabria to have to manage, and Insigne was causing issues here.

Bakayoko doesn't recognise danger and doesn't move laterally to cover when there is a need to protect the vulnerable half spaces.

We needed to sort out that right side as well with a sub, but we have no viable alternatives.

We should have scored earlier in the game, but were hanging on for dear life for about 25 minutes (which was not good defending, but us getting good fortune that Napoli had some bad touches or poor decisions in our box). I'll take the point and run considering.

:thumbsup: finally someone who understands. we were pinned back for like 10 straight minutes before that sub. he was forced to make the defensive sub. maybe mauri should have came instead of borini or maybe hakan should have went out instead of paqueta idk. but something had to be done. i liked paqueta in the first half but second half he was forced to play like a defensive mid.

rr had to deal with 2-3 napoli players after the napoli sub. i'm actually surprised we didn't conceded form his side. roma was absolute rock and imo was motm.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Gazzetta ratings:

Gattuso 6

Donnarumma 6,5
Calabria 6
Musacchio 6
Romagnoli 6,5
Rodriguez 6
Kessie 6
Bakayoko 6
Paqueta 5,5
Suso 5,5
Cutrone 6
Hakan 5,5 (Il Peggiore)

Borini 6
Piatek 6,5 (Il Migliore :star:)
Laxalt S.V.

A wonderful defensive display with poor performances from our offensive players.

Piatek really gets the nod in Gazzetta, he truly looked dangerous when he came on. Troubled Koulibaly a great deal, future star!

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Good result on paper. On the field we did suffer... anaconda has been great last few games, saved us in this one too.

Gattuso isnt an attacking coach he is bereft of workable ideas.. sorry to say that. He has no intuition no feel for the game thats in front of him... makes horrible changes.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
All in all great result, and could even say amazing if you couple it with the results from the rest of the Serie A teams.

The game itself was pretty bad to watch, both teams actually went out there to not loose points..which seems very weird, especially since Napoli have such a stacked side compared to us.

Maybe Don Carlo is secretly trying to help us keep 4th :D

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
actually for a goalless match it was pretty entertaining .. both teams tried to win it not sure if we watched the same game

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
actually for a goalless match it was pretty entertaining .. both teams tried to win it not sure if we watched the same game

I take it you haven't watched two proper teams play in a long time?

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
I take it you haven't watched two proper teams play in a long time?

Ancelotti definitely went for the win and we had a lot of chances the first 50 mins. The match should have ended something like 4-3 if not for those shit finishing

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ancelotti definitely went for the win and we had a lot of chances the first 50 mins. The match should have ended something like 4-3 if not for those shit finishing

Okay, must have watched too much EPL lately..but the match looked kinda meh in comparison..then again the production values differ..a lot.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players