Week 2: AC Milan (2) vs SS Lazio (2) - 9/09/2011

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Carlo Nesti, "Nesta very alarming and too selfless Ibra"

The 2 opposite sides of the proof of Milan are decipherable, clearly, in 4 goals, accrued only in the first half. The face is the negative of the team, distracted and dazed in a midfield Nesta, who suffered 2 goals in just 22 minutes. The positive face, by contrast, is training, caring and inspired in Ibra in Cassano, which straightens a losing game. Allegri I were, I'd be very worried about Nesta, who is not eternal, and has suffered so much Klose and Cissé. And I was in Allegri, obligations Ibrahimovic to play offensive end, not at the cost of moving: you have a fixed forward.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I'm really wondering now if Aquilani isn't best suited to play CAM. I don't know if he was just having a bad day, but he really didn't contribute much of anything defensively yesterday. Obviously, you can't judge based on just one match, but he had very good chemistry with everyone in attack and I think his passing is what is sorely missing when Boateng is at CAM.

I just hate the idea that we went into the season with Boateng being our primary option at CAM. He simply has no business playing the position. I don't know that he even has a position in the starting XI if he can't adapt to RCM.

PRobably both.

In this squad he's most suited for CAM until El Shaarawy aserts himself.

But he WAS having a bad day, he can defend a bit, allegri's tactics are complex and he's been here what 3 training sessions max?

He can easily play a quality LCM, but he needs time to adjust to tactics.

I agree with this completely. I was actually hoping to see what would have happened if Allegri would have switched Aqua and Boa before Aqua was subbed off

He did, but Aquilani was drained. He ran out of energy before the half. Not quite fit...

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
PRobably both.

In this squad he's most suited for CAM until El Shaarawy aserts himself.

But he WAS having a bad day, he can defend a bit, allegri's tactics are complex and he's been here what 3 training sessions max?

He can easily play a quality LCM, but he needs time to adjust to tactics.

He did, but Aquilani was drained. He ran out of energy before the half. Not quite fit...

Yea, I think he was under a lot of pressure to perform and kinda let adrenaline get best of him.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really wondering now if Aquilani isn't best suited to play CAM. I don't know if he was just having a bad day, but he really didn't contribute much of anything defensively yesterday. Obviously, you can't judge based on just one match, but he had very good chemistry with everyone in attack and I think his passing is what is sorely missing when Boateng is at CAM.

I just hate the idea that we went into the season with Boateng being our primary option at CAM. He simply has no business playing the position. I don't know that he even has a position in the starting XI if he can't adapt to RCM.

It has two sides I think. At CAM he would get the ball higher and play the final ball more easily, but in that position he would see much less of the ball, specially with destroyers behind him. I guess he would have to drop deep a lot anyway, kind of problems Seedorf had when he played in the hole.

At LCM he is far from the goal, got to defend more but he can add early quality to the build-up, read the game from deep and it would all be a matter of timing his runs.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
It has two sides I think. At CAM he would get the ball higher and play the final ball more easily, but in that position he would see much less of the ball, specially with destroyers behind him. I guess he would have to drop deep a lot anyway, kind of problems Seedorf had when he played in the hole.

At LCM he is far from the goal, got to defend more but he can add early quality to the build-up, read the game from deep and it would all be a matter of timing his runs.

i think we need him @ both positions tbh :-/

or seedorf @ LCM.

problem is they r our only 2 players like this.

annoying.

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

He could fill the trequartista slot whenever Clarence plays in the three man midfield. Like that, we'd have quality passing near the strikers without losing quality passing in the build up.

However, we can't count on Seedorf week after week. He needs to be kept fresh the whole season to have him 100% fit for Champions League games and important Serie A matches.

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini

completely agree prince seemed to be far more comfortable as a RCM don't get me wrong he has been useful as CAM before but Aquaman has the passing skills better suited for that role but his defensive contribution was poor (in this game). Nocerino played very well when he came on ideal for LCM full of running and defensively sound.

saying that it is only the first game of the season I'm certain Al will find the best position for everyone.

melanman

The Oracle
Reaction score
Aquilani is best suited for trequista(free role) thats how he likes to play, high up and able to roam and that is when most of his magic comes.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
If Aquilani plays CAM, then it has to be when Seedorf is playing LCM. We need a passer in the midfield.

See us after he got subbed yesterday? We looked devoid of a route forward, it was simply hit and hope. Aquilani will probably be better at AM but only if he has the ball, and thus we need Seedorf there.

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/09/10/milan-2-2-lazio-danger-down-the-flanks/

the team went better without gattuso.. gattu and ambro hold the middle back, boateng cant built a attack.. aquilani built when he had opportunities and he delivers..

on the sides abate is looking already better than antonini attacking.. antonini without ronaldo there cant do much, the guy is really weak.

Overall, as always.. the team poorly prepared physically, in 6 months the team will be fit.. untill there, will be like this our games.

and whats is the deal with allegri asking ambro all the time to move!?!

Last edited:

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
If Aquilani plays at CAM, we cannot have Seedorf playing at LCM as that would make us too weak defensively. It would be better for Seedorf to play at RCM as he has Abate to cover for him while on the left side there are still question marks over Taiwo and Zambrotta

Robinho - Ibrahimovic

Aquilani

Nocerino - Van Bommel - Seedorf/Boateng

Taiwo - Silva - Nesta/Mexes - Abate

Abbiati​

IbraFTW

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
If Aquilani plays at CAM, we cannot have Seedorf playing at LCM as that would make us too weak defensively. It would be better for Seedorf to play at RCM as he has Abate to cover for him while on the left side there are still question marks over Taiwo and Zambrotta

Robinho - Ibrahimovic

Aquilani

Nocerino - Van Bommel - Seedorf/Boateng

Abbiati​

I don't like that. You're basically throwing Cassano away, and doing nothing about lack of creativity in midfield. This is similar but makes much more sense imho:

Robinho - Ibrahimovic

Cassano

Aquilani - Van Bommel - Boateng

Abbiati

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
A hard fought game. We could have won it as well as lose it.
I know Ibra likes to roam around the pitch free; however, he comes down too much to midfield. It seems that he wants to be a Seedorf. Many times I saw Cassano as CF. Aquilani played well until he run out of energy. Cassano was great but tried too many flicks. I do not know who is going to play against Barcelona but if whe play Antonini , we need somebody that can help him t cover the left side otherwise he is going to be rapes as usual.

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
I don't like that. You're basically throwing Cassano away, and doing nothing about lack of creativity in midfield. This is similar but makes much more sense imho:

Robinho - Ibrahimovic

Cassano

Aquilani - Van Bommel - Seedorf/Boateng

Abbiati

That is way too attack minded and would expose us defensively on a constant basis. We have already seen that Aquilani is too defensively weak to play at LCM and pairing him with Cassano at CAM (who doesnt track back) and Seedorf/Boateng at RCM would be defensive suicide. Having Van Bommel as the only defensive minded midfielder would leave us heavily exposed as he doesn't have the pace to cover for both flanks. Plus, Taiwo has yet to show he can be defensively solid without needing backup. Nocerino, while he may not be a very creative player, is a very good/decent B2B midfielder who will help out both in defense while occasionally make runs forward and contribute to the attack. His passing aint half bad either...

IbraFTW

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
That is way too attack minded and would expose us defensively on a constant basis. We have already seen that Aquilani is too defensively weak to play at LCM and pairing him with Cassano at CAM (who doesnt track back) and Seedorf/Boateng at RCM would be defensive suicide. Having Van Bommel as the only defensive minded midfielder would leave us heavily exposed as he doesn't have the pace to cover for both flanks. Plus, Taiwo has yet to show he can be defensively solid without needing backup. Nocerino, while he may not be a very creative player, is a very good/decent B2B midfielder who will help out both in defense while occasionally make runs forward and contribute to the attack. His passing aint half bad either...
I agree, but if you want to keep 4-3-1-2, that's probably the best players you can put in that formation. Nocerino in Boa's place is probably better than what I posted.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Milan played a good game to be honest. Too bad we conceded the two goals too early. Things would have been better if we had hit the net first. Best things were that Milan stayed so calm after conceding and our football was fluent throughout the game despite the bad + unlucky finishing. This is called Milan's firm stuff and they still manage to hold on to it after so many changes in the team. Anyways leave this game behind and look forward to next Tuesday. Barca are going to have a real test against Milan. Their line-up looks more shiny but that fact will not scare Milan. If Milan ever lost it will be alright but good football will def be played by them and whatever the result will be, Milan will be leaving the pitch with their heads held high. No team will ever say "take it easy" before facing us, even the so-called almighty Barcelona.

FORZA MILAN!

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Not a big deal since we always have a slow start of the season & lazio is actually a good team for the standard of serieA.
What concern me the most is how static our attack is & how incompatible they are with the characteristics of our midfield.
While having a static attackers with high technical abilities like Ibra & Cass then you should have a dynamic midfield who push forward with abilities to make runs & scores & our midfield is is the opposite of that.
We need Aqui & KPB to start almost every game & both to wear their scoring boot & if Abate & TT to evolve their attacking habits.

Now lets see about Barca.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Palermo 4 Inter 3.

At least we are one point in front of the scum already!

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
tumblr_lrb35tnWjd1qmk6t7o1_500.jpg

:thumbsup:

ladro

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^^

Nostalgia?

I miss them lines of fireworks before games..........

Schedule