Week 7: Genoa - Milan 05/10/19 20:45 CET

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I understand Kessie is wearing out people's patience, but I still think it may be early to write him off. His time at Atalanta showed that he is capable in a system. Not having a system definitely affect a player's confidence quite bit so I am hoping an experienced manager can still bring more out of him.

But for now, I would actually like to see Bennacer replace Kessie in the lineup with Biglia as the regista pulling the strings.

He can do what a Hateboer does.. unending energy bombing up and down. But a slower, passing style of football? No way. Or even a goalscoring mezz'ala in a Conte style 4-3-3? No way.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
He can do what a Hateboer does.. unending energy bombing up and down. But a slower, passing style of football? No way. Or even a goalscoring mezz'ala in a Conte style 4-3-3? No way.

Yes agreed, and I think he could also do a decent job staying closer to the defence and being primarily a destroyer without the bombing. But any role involving anything but the most basic distribution and he is useless.

He could play a part for Milan under many managers and with many systems, but not this one.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Our midfield is too weak, we need more bodies and physical presence in there, at this stage I would go for this formation

Donna
Calabria Duarte Romag Theo
Conti Krunic Bennacer Paqueta
Piatek Leao

Sub options: Rebic (as SM or CF), Kessie (as CM or RM), Biglia (as CM), Hakan (as SM), Suso (as SS)

Last edited:

fray

Casciavit
Reaction score
GP should be sacked immediately after Suso's name appears on the starting lineup.

Castillejo is his subsitute.

That is akin to being asked which of your arms you want to cut off.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Castillejo is his subsitute.

That is akin to being asked which of your arms you want to cut off.

If my arms were Suso and Samu then I would cut them both off myself. Using my feet.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Marcotti's bit on Milan:

The club say they're keeping faith with Giampaolo. The best thing he could do at this stage is show a bit of courage and perhaps play guys on merit rather than reputation and transfer fee. And when he does, conjure up a scheme that actually works for what he has.

I cannot agree more. Like I said before the Fiorentina game as well, it all depends on Giampaolo's courage now. He would deserve the sack if he continues to play it safe and depend on 'names' like Piatek and Suso.

I strongly agree with this too.

This is the perfect time to say screw it, and run his actual system. Bench Suso. Bench Piatek. Bench Kessie (I'm less tied to this one).

Go

Defense
Krunic-Biglia-Bennacer
Paqueta
Leao-Rebic

Bring in Biglia with Durante making his first start and Bennacer giving the ball away too much in dangerous spots last game (I think he will eventually excel in this role, but needs so more seasoning). Tell Paqueta to press and cut him loose to attack. See if the speed of Leao and Rebic opens stuff up in the attack.

If this might be your last game as coach, grow a set and go out playing your philosophy.

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
:lol: All 3 have been atrocious this season. I didn't mention Piatek in the post about transfers because one couldn't possibly think of selling him last summer after his performances last season - there was always the hope that he would adapt to being the rounded forward that Giampaolo needs. For Suso and Kessie though, there were perfectly logical reasons to sell them. And we know Maldini and Boban tried all summer - but failed.

Your justifications for Kessie continue to remain a mystery to me. He's a very very mediocre player whose highest career point will remain Atalanta 2016-17 in all likelihood.

+1 except that I feel they did try to sell Suso but Giampaolo feared he would get ED if Suso left. Kessie had offers but refused to go . Doesn’t take a magician to notice how mediocre Kessie is. I dont know what so many here are on about . He’s a midfielder he needs to be able to understand how the attacking phase works. He fucks up soooo many small things which probably go unnoticed but they are huuuuge fuck ups that could have potentially plead to dangerous attacks.

I think Kessie could work as right sided center back in a 3 man defence or maybe even a RWB who bombs up and down all game and is a good outlet for winner headers from goal kicks (would usually be up against full backs/wingers and eat them up . But as a CM - no thanks! Useful as sub tho id say when opposition is tired his lack of technical and tactical abilities would be overshadowed by sheer brute force

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Perhaps a role similar to Nainggolan under Spalletti? It's strange because I find it hard to believe that Kessie forgot how to play football after he left Atalanta because he can't even seem to do the simple things right.

But at this point, I am not going to lie, I am pretty disappointed with Kessie's development thus far during his time here.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Perhaps a role similar to Nainggolan under Spalletti? It's strange because I find it hard to believe that Kessie forgot how to play football after he left Atalanta because he can't even seem to do the simple things right.

But at this point, I am not going to lie, I am pretty disappointed with Kessie's development thus far during his time here.

I had high hopes for him when we signed him.. thought that was the best transfer of that window in Italy. But in hindsight, Atalanta plays in a style that no other Serie A team plays. One could logically argue that success at Atalanta doesn't guarantee success in a different club in Serie A.

Nainggolan is a very clever player. To play between the lines like that, you need a lot of 'overall vision of the game' and intelligence. Kessie is not a good fit I think.

This is the perfect time to say screw it, and run his actual system. Bench Suso. Bench Piatek. Bench Kessie (I'm less tied to this one).

Go

Defense
Krunic-Biglia-Bennacer
Paqueta
Leao-Rebic

Bring in Biglia with Durante making his first start and Bennacer giving the ball away too much in dangerous spots last game (I think he will eventually excel in this role, but needs so more seasoning). Tell Paqueta to press and cut him loose to attack. See if the speed of Leao and Rebic opens stuff up in the attack.

If this might be your last game as coach, grow a set and go out playing your philosophy.

+1 I just differ in that it's probably too late now. Giampaolo should have had the balls to do this against Fiorentina. Even when he brought in Bennacer for Biglia, cowing to the pressure of the masses and not listening to his better sense, he made a mistake. It's clear as crystal why Bennacer wasn't trusted in the early matches.

I think Kessie could work as right sided center back in a 3 man defence or maybe even a RWB who bombs up and down all game and is a good outlet for winner headers from goal kicks (would usually be up against full backs/wingers and eat them up . But as a CM - no thanks! Useful as sub tho id say when opposition is tired his lack of technical and tactical abilities would be overshadowed by sheer brute force

This could actually be a good role for Kessie if we get a coach who plays 3-5-2.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I dont like Suso & Hakan while i always thought Kessie is meh but they never looked as shit as with GP.

Suso is actually playing better(less shitty) than in the second half of last season.
He is working slightly harder now, his dribbling attempts aren't as unsuccessful and he is sending in more good crosses.

Is that good enough? Definitely not, but the only thing you can blame the coach for is the insanely stupid decision to start him in every game.

Agree about Hakan and Kessie though.
Whatever Giampaolo has told them seem to have only confused them. They are playing with positional restrictions now, but we are yet to see the benefits. They are just as sloppy and wasteful as before, he just restricted the team engines.

doraemon

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso, Kaka
Another giampaolo's torture in 2 days

giphy.gif

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Suso is actually playing better(less shitty) than in the second half of last season.
He is working slightly harder now, his dribbling attempts aren't as unsuccessful and he is sending in more good crosses.

It's sad that we have to defend Suso performances because they're not as shit as they've been before. They're still absolutely pathetic.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
EF8dldUXoAIA-Ot.png

Wouldn't be surprised if Schöne plays the game of his career this weekend.

Also I can't fucking understand why Rebic isn't starting ahead of Suso.

Kaka92

Gae
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MMS.
I hope that everyone from Genoa will play the game of their life. :o

It's October, it's still plenty of time to save season if they sack him now.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
is there a way for us to win and giampaolo to get sacked still???

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's sad that we have to defend Suso performances because they're not as shit as they've been before. They're still absolutely pathetic.

I wasn't defending him.
I'm refuting Wild's claim that Suso has regressed this season(because of Giampaolo).

My point was there's no good excuse for Suso.
He's not being shackled by the coach. This is his best. And it's not enough. He needs to go.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan

Go

Defense

Krunic-Biglia-Bennacer

Paqueta

Leao-Rebic

This post made me realise how good we would have actually played if GP continued playing his formation after the udinese loss and benched suso.

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's probable that Biglia and Rodriguez replace Bennacer and Theo in the starting lineup against Genoa. Rebic could also play from the start [Sky via
@FMCROfficial

GP is such a milanista. Doing all he can so we get a new coach after Genoa.

Savo

Mike Danton.. Deadly Prey
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ambrosini, Sheva, Seedorf, Silva, Totti
it's ok guys...

:angel: Trust "The System" :angel:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I just realized there will be cunts in here on Sunday complaining about the fact that we won.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
It's probable that Biglia and Rodriguez replace Bennacer and Theo in the starting lineup against Genoa. Rebic could also play from the start [Sky via
@FMCROfficial

GP is such a milanista. Doing all he can so we get a new coach after Genoa.
Best news all say.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Reina to Sky: "We always have to give 100%"

Start Reina at RW.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Schedule