New pitch at San Siro

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
There are thousends of reasons for our awful pitch...
Starting from climate of Milan ---- ending with San Siro cover built for Italia '90

After Italia '90 seemed that with the cover grass cannot grew, because of the poor quantity of sun rays... (always poor in Milan, but now poorer!)

Secondly there should be some problems with ground under grass.. Even if technicians are trying to change it every year something is not yet working well

Third, but not last... in San Siro are plaied many games a week for the most part of the year (fm Milan and fm Inter - every Sunday and every Mid-Week)...
IMO that's the most important reason of troubles for grass...
Once everybody thought it was a San Siro problem only, but now we can see same difficults and awful pitch even in Roma/Olimpico (a few years ago it was the best field in Italy)... weather is getting worse in Roma, it's been almost always raining since last spring... Roma and Lazio are playing as often as Milan and Inter... and the Olimpico field is about to become same shit as San Siro!

For sure this problem is due to be solved... and soon... (expecially to help our talented and golden players' foot - Rui/Rivo/Redondo) but it won't be easy!!!
During this pause field has been renewed... we'll see soon how!!!

Red&BlackDevils

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i know it the worst pitch in europe i think... in england there pitch is awesome. and same with spain..... but who cares our players said that they dont care about that.... coz even the pitch is bad they still winning unlike inter(who suck so bad) but i hope they could fix it

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
The roof add on for Italia 90 is a huge problem.....I understand the Americans have tried to build an indoor grass stadio, but I don't know if that faired too well, so they came up with that "grurf." :rolleyes: Which essentially is a grass/turf type of surface I suppose. (by the way, I coined that word). Everything else bothering our pitch has been covered by Mellanie. Everything she said is the reasoning behind that shit pitch.

Jamie

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Red&BlackDevils said:
i know it the worst pitch in europe i think... in england there pitch is awesome. and same with spain..... but who cares our players said that they dont care about that.... coz even the pitch is bad they still winning unlike inter(who suck so bad) but i hope they could fix it

Not really have you seen Chelsea's pitch :head:

Seamus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Anyone playing for AC Milan
Well the covered stadiums here for the most part astroturf (which is a little like a thin green carpet on top of concrete, et me tell you it hurts) and now they are converting them to a mixture of grass, sand and rubber, which is much better but still not the same thing as grass. There has been a big push in the last ten year to get away from astroturf and move to grass so they aren't really building domed stadiums anymore except for baseball in places w/ really screwed up climates. Now they are building a fair amount of stadiums w. retractible roofs.

The only place I can think of here that they have tried growing grass indoors is in Minnasota where it is usually cold and snowing (in the winter). they used a bunch of highpressure sodium bubs in the ceiling that glow more like sunlight and give off UVB for the grass to grow, but it was so expensive they gave it up.

Red&BlackDevils

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Jamie said:
Red&BlackDevils said:

Not really have you seen Chelsea's pitch :head:

yes i did seen many times......... so what's your point? and i have been there like 5 times

Reaction score
Okay..Many games during the week & bad climate I can understand... But why havent´t we found a solution yet :conf:

Human kind has found it´s way to the moon, so it shoulden´t be a big PROB to find a way to keep the grass green in Milano !

There must be a way but mayby it´s to expensive, I just can see how players from the two clubs AC Milan and The Bastardo´s can accept it !!

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
Sheddy said:
Okay..Many games during the week & bad climate I can understand... But why havent´t we found a solution yet :conf:

Human kind has found it´s way to the moon, so it shoulden´t be a big PROB to find a way to keep the grass green in Milano !

There must be a way but mayby it´s to expensive, I just can see how players from the two clubs AC Milan and The Bastardo´s can accept it !!

Surely too expensive.... but also really difficult!!!
Maybe in the future, when as requested Inter & MILAN will buy San Siro, then with MONEY, we will see e New GREEN pitch in Meazza!!! :head:

AC Milan Fan

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
So what!
Be proud on our Stadion!!!
San Siro is the most beautiful place on earth to be!!! Bad or good pitch!
Also other teams has this problem.

FORZA MILAN!

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
AC Milan Fan said:
So what!
Be proud on our Stadion!!!
San Siro is the most beautiful place on earth to be!!! Bad or good pitch!
Also other teams has this problem.

FORZA MILAN!

As to this I totally agree with you!
When I was there last November (for Derby), for my firts time, my breath has been taken away...
and my first aim is to go there again asap!!! :)

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Mellanie! I was at the derby too! Hehe..November 2002 yar? I want to go back to San Siro again..oh it was amazing stuff...

Heh anyway..i'm digging up this old topic because of issues with the pitch at San Siro (what's new?)..i'm wondering..when ever is there going to be a concrete solution to totally revamp the pitch and ensure it remains as pristine a playing surface as those you find at Olimpico or in England?

Playing surface quality is really important and it can be a disadvantage to us..as the home team..when we play at San Siro...

Here is a quote by Galliani:

On a wonderful pitch such as the 'Olimpico', this formation is difficult to beat. I'm convinced that our performances at home compared to those away have nothing to do with tactics. It's 100 per cent to do with the seemingly insolvable problem of the San Siro pitch, I say unsolvable because we have tried different solutions with no success. A top player cannot wait to see how the ball bounces before making a decision. Certain fast build-ups and high technique, such as Shevchenko's goals at the Marassi, are only possible on perfect pitches.

mtfco

just another member
Reaction score
RivippoRuiNestaShevdini said:
The roof add on for Italia 90 is a huge problem.....I understand the Americans have tried to build an indoor grass stadio, but I don't know if that faired too well, so they came up with that "grurf." :rolleyes: Which essentially is a grass/turf type of surface I suppose. (by the way, I coined that word). Everything else bothering our pitch has been covered by Mellanie. Everything she said is the reasoning behind that shit pitch.
i thought they installed the turf on the milanello (training ground) already... but if im not mistaken the rule (i dont know is it FIFA or UEFA?) forbids the use of turf for the playing ground
i play on the turf here in my univ soccer/football field every friday and let me tell u something, it hurts! the ball bounces good but not if u fell down, man it's gonna scratch the hell out of ur skin, hehe

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
mellanie said:
For sure this problem is due to be solved... and soon... (expecially to help our talented and golden players' foot - Rui/Rivo/Redondo) but it won't be easy!!!
During this pause field has been renewed... we'll see soon how!!!

Have I missed anything here...? I doubt we'll ever see Rivo on San Siro in the red and black jersey again...

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Velez..this is pretty much an ancient topic..i just bumped it because of San Siro and its now more publicised pitch problem.

And yes..Milanello has had one training pitch retrofitted with the Astroturf thingy..they are using it as means of experimenting i guess...

Taulant

subliminal
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RUI COSTA & all milan players
You saw that for the game against Roma Milan did good pitch.
Important for good pitch is to play modern and attack football just like in Premiership.

mamma_mia!

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Well Seamus, u said that some stadiums use the retractable roofs these days. I kinda like that idea, being a fan of the Australian Open, they have two stadiums with retractable roofs here and its a fantastic idea. I know they dont care that much about rain and all that in football but at least they have the option to close the lid on flooding rains or to leave the sunlight in. :tongue:

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
It is not always wet in Italy like it is in England or Australia..and the addition of a retractable roof would cost a lot of money and certainly hinder the use of the stadium...

I don't think the roof is necessary in the first instance..at San Siro..the roof blocks so much sunlight that the pitch gets screwed up because of this...

MookyRookie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
the pitch in San Siro is the same like a field on a farm, one of the shittest green, especially for a rich club like Milan, im wondering why the players havent complained to Ancelotti, Galliani about that, the club should offer a new pitch or buy, its long time ago since WC 90 as they brought the stadiums to the modern standard of those days, new pitch is neccesary more than to invest money in the stadium, on TV the pitch at San Siro looks very ugly, a lot of tacklings R maybe one reason that the field is more brown than green, especially in penalty area and midfield,
a new stadium costs a lot, but in few years Milan should get a new stadium, Berlusconi and his army of sponsors should think about that, SCHALKE 04 stadium in germany is still the most modern stadium in the world, they can play with the roof closed or open, the pitch is like on a plattform, so they can drive it in or out of the stadium or somethin like that :D both Milan teams, AC and Inter, are like the NBA teams of Los Angeles, Lakers and Clippers, who both share the Staples Center together ;) ;) ;)

THeJaMmi1

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Well Mookey, all your saying is good and fair just like what everybody else has been saying, however neither Milan nor Inter actually own the Giuseppe Meazza, if im not mistakes we have it leased out by the City...therefore its a lot harder for all of these things to happen

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
Well I dont think that the city of Milano would had anything against a donation of some Euros from both teams so that they actually could solve the problem...It looks like our dear club AC Milan only wants everyone else to pay for everything else, even if their one of the richest club with one of the richest and most powerful persons in the world as president...First they wanted money for acmilan.com and now they dont want to use some Euros on the pitch...This make me sick! :o

Anderson Lima

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini & Nesta
Milan have better goal difference in away matches.

This pitch reduces quality of football that Milan play.

Hope this problem will be solved so we can play even more spectacular football in front of our supporters!

Last edited:

Taulant

subliminal
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RUI COSTA & all milan players
We have to pray at San Siro, or get some Prayer there and then i think we'll be GreaT. :rolleyes:

r4gs

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Neither Milan nor Inter own the San Siro..it is owned by the Milan City Council..and yes it is correct that we cannot do much about the pitch..even if we re-turf it for major games and give it an overhaul everytime there is a break in the season..the pitch rapidly reduces in quality as there are just so many matches played at San Siro..and the roof certainly makes things very difficult...

I'm all for research into an appropriate artificial pitch..for i gather that Milan's football is more suited when played on good pitches...

Schedule